Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Question for the Music/Sound Department

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 18, 2013
Ahoy pirates and musicians alike! I recently saw the thread titled 'Your favorite world music' and I immediately responded because KI's music was something that stuck to me since the minute I first started playing the game. I started playing both W101 & P101 around the time I became interested in music, and I started to learn the piano and flute. Because of this, KI's music has become, basically, a part of my childhood and it still never ceases to amaze me. Many video games have music that is not...how do I put this...very developed?

What I'm trying to say is they don't have as much "soul" or "emotion" as KI's music does.
I was wondering, if this is even possible, to get a piano score sheet for the Valencian theme? (Well, to be honest, I'd love to learn any piece, but I feel like the Valencian theme would be easiest for the piano). I know everything is copyrighted, and I don't know if this can happen. I would NEVER in a million years claim the music as my own, and would give all credit to the creator.
The thing is, I love playing video game music (recently just learned the Skyrim theme by Jeremy Soule, which was great) and there are a myriad of video game scores, but I've never seen one Pirate101 or Wizard101 score sheet in my life.
Maybe you could possibly sell sheet music?
But then again, that might take away the "magical" essence of KI's music.
I'd love to hear feedback from you guys...and I'll say it again to the people working behind the music/sound, you guys have done such a great job. We players really appreciate all the time and effort you guys put into all the pieces!

Autumn Moonstone

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I know a number of rather musical people, and play an instrument myself, though I never had formal lessons. I can appreciate what you are saying. There are lots of songs around that aren't really available as sheet music, but when you hear them, you's love to learn to play it. I have certainly had game music running through my mind at times. Even if KI doesn't want to make the music available, though they should consider it, there might be fans out there who have the skills to figure it out and post it somewhere.
It has happened before. The new Dr. Who has some awesome music. Musicians started figuring it out and posting themselves on Utube playing it. There was enough of it, that when the show had it's big anniversary, the BBC did a Dr Who World Orchestra. I think they sent the "tubers" sheet music so they could all be in the same key and play it correctly. Then the musicians did videos and posted, and the BBC edited them all together into an orchestral performance.
We might not be as big as Dr. Who, but I bet there might be some people who can help you with this.

Ensign
Jan 18, 2013
Calamity Finch on Apr 15, 2017 wrote:
I know a number of rather musical people, and play an instrument myself, though I never had formal lessons. I can appreciate what you are saying. There are lots of songs around that aren't really available as sheet music, but when you hear them, you's love to learn to play it. I have certainly had game music running through my mind at times. Even if KI doesn't want to make the music available, though they should consider it, there might be fans out there who have the skills to figure it out and post it somewhere.
It has happened before. The new Dr. Who has some awesome music. Musicians started figuring it out and posting themselves on Utube playing it. There was enough of it, that when the show had it's big anniversary, the BBC did a Dr Who World Orchestra. I think they sent the "tubers" sheet music so they could all be in the same key and play it correctly. Then the musicians did videos and posted, and the BBC edited them all together into an orchestral performance.
We might not be as big as Dr. Who, but I bet there might be some people who can help you with this.
Oh that's amazing! Yeah I've tried to learn some parts of the Marleybone theme and it worked out but memorizing the entire piece without a score is difficult for me...but it's possible. That would be so amazing if some music Youtubers played songs from Kingsisle. I might be able to request a song for them, though I doubt they'll listen to me... but if they do play a song, I bet it would bring a lot more attention to P101 & W101! A double win!

First Mate
Sep 13, 2010
Autumn Moonstone on Apr 14, 2017 wrote:
Ahoy pirates and musicians alike! I recently saw the thread titled 'Your favorite world music' and I immediately responded because KI's music was something that stuck to me since the minute I first started playing the game. I started playing both W101 & P101 around the time I became interested in music, and I started to learn the piano and flute. Because of this, KI's music has become, basically, a part of my childhood and it still never ceases to amaze me. Many video games have music that is not...how do I put this...very developed?

What I'm trying to say is they don't have as much "soul" or "emotion" as KI's music does.
I was wondering, if this is even possible, to get a piano score sheet for the Valencian theme? (Well, to be honest, I'd love to learn any piece, but I feel like the Valencian theme would be easiest for the piano). I know everything is copyrighted, and I don't know if this can happen. I would NEVER in a million years claim the music as my own, and would give all credit to the creator.
The thing is, I love playing video game music (recently just learned the Skyrim theme by Jeremy Soule, which was great) and there are a myriad of video game scores, but I've never seen one Pirate101 or Wizard101 score sheet in my life.
Maybe you could possibly sell sheet music?
But then again, that might take away the "magical" essence of KI's music.
I'd love to hear feedback from you guys...and I'll say it again to the people working behind the music/sound, you guys have done such a great job. We players really appreciate all the time and effort you guys put into all the pieces!

Autumn Moonstone
i started to transcribe that piece (the valencia tense theme) a couple weeks ago but never finished. i'll try to get that done and publish it on pirate101central. my spring break just ended though so i'll be busy...

First Mate
Sep 13, 2010
oh by the way should i include everything (string, brass, percussion, and choir) or just transpose and condense all the parts into one piano melody? or both

Ensign
Jan 18, 2013
AndrewDeathblade11... on Apr 17, 2017 wrote:
oh by the way should i include everything (string, brass, percussion, and choir) or just transpose and condense all the parts into one piano melody? or both
Wow...I mean if you truly are passionate about transcribing it, do whatever you want! But I'm looking for solo piano. It must take a while to transcribe, especially the Valencia tense theme, because there is a part near the middle where it goes to percussion and bass only, so I'm not sure if you would just take that out and go on to the next phrase? Or, you could even make a coda to make the piece flow more for solo piano.
But please don't feel like you have to do this! I don't want to take up your time if you have schoolwork or other important events.

Autumn Moonstone

First Mate
Sep 13, 2010
Autumn Moonstone on Apr 17, 2017 wrote:
Wow...I mean if you truly are passionate about transcribing it, do whatever you want! But I'm looking for solo piano. It must take a while to transcribe, especially the Valencia tense theme, because there is a part near the middle where it goes to percussion and bass only, so I'm not sure if you would just take that out and go on to the next phrase? Or, you could even make a coda to make the piece flow more for solo piano.
But please don't feel like you have to do this! I don't want to take up your time if you have schoolwork or other important events.

Autumn Moonstone
aquí está
it's kinda messy

Ensign
Jan 18, 2013
AndrewDeathblade11... on Apr 18, 2017 wrote:
aquí está
it's kinda messy
This is amazing! Thank you so much! Do you use some sort of program to convert the music files to notes or is it all by ear?

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
My guess is he does it by ear. I knew there would be musically talented pirates! Yarr

First Mate
Sep 13, 2010
Autumn Moonstone on Apr 18, 2017 wrote:
This is amazing! Thank you so much! Do you use some sort of program to convert the music files to notes or is it all by ear?
thanks, and by ear. i've been pretty good with my ears for as long as i remember (except for the recurring, deafening infection developing behind my right eardrum) and i taught myself piano when i was like 9 or 10. i inserted each note manually on MuseScore 2. the existence of any effective audio-to-notation conversion program other than the human ear would be beyond my knowledge (and budget.)

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Was there progress on this? Is there music available on Central?

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
AndrewDeathblade11... on Apr 20, 2017 wrote:
thanks, and by ear. i've been pretty good with my ears for as long as i remember (except for the recurring, deafening infection developing behind my right eardrum) and i taught myself piano when i was like 9 or 10. i inserted each note manually on MuseScore 2. the existence of any effective audio-to-notation conversion program other than the human ear would be beyond my knowledge (and budget.)
Neat! I do love the piano usage in Valencia's themes.

Did anyone occur what VSTis KI uses in their music themes in W101 & P101? I know they use Pro Tools, but no one asked what VSTis they have in their library.

My word to the music enthusiasts out there, if you really recognize the VSTis KI uses in their themes, please specify their theme & VSTi names, in that order. Would help those who are interested in buying them & maybe doing re-orchestrations on W101 & P101 themes, if KI's OK with it.

I already know Valencia's themes use piano, but which piano type from their VSTi library? I just don't know it's name.

To notify, many love Logic Pro X to make music. It is one o' the most popular music creation programs, & not just from it's amazing workflow & easy note editing. If you're interested, you should try it sometime.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I think it's great there are musicians who want sheet music to play on their instruments, and also people who want to program it on Virtual Studio Technology instruments, making remixes. I found an old thread about KI's music, where El Kaboing, the sound designer, tells a bit about the music and it's composer.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I looked up the composer, Nelson Everhart, and found his blog. It seems he gets asked a lot about sheet music by fans, but is not equipped to provide that. He was delighted to recently discover there was a new group of fans of his music, and posted an acapella reworking of some of his themes the fans had done; it was a mix of Wizard101 music. Sometimes fans of his work listen to the music and transcribe it by ear. There was an example of music from the game Vexx on there. I thought you might find this interesting too. He also recently finished working on something, which he said was enough of a hint. It might not have been for Pirate, he works on lots of stuff, but we can hope!

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I haven't been on the test realm lately. Was there new music to go with the new quests and Party Barge? If there was, maybe that's what the composer had finished. I was wondering if anyone had posted Pirate sheet music anywhere, or if it's still being figured out.

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013
Oh... how i would love a MIDI copy of the cool ranch main theme so i can open it up in FL studio

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013
No copyright intended by the way in regards to my other post.

First Mate
Sep 13, 2010
Calamity Finch on Sep 27, 2017 wrote:
I haven't been on the test realm lately. Was there new music to go with the new quests and Party Barge? If there was, maybe that's what the composer had finished. I was wondering if anyone had posted Pirate sheet music anywhere, or if it's still being figured out.
the party barge theme. i was going to answer this earlier, but i had work to do, and then i had more work to do, more work to do...you might've found out about it now. it's the only new song.

it's not his best in my opinion. i thought the phrasing was really sloppy, especially in the second half. he must not have had much time to work on it.

there are only 3 written pirate101 scores on the internet that i know of. 2 of those are the valencia tense theme and the saloon piano theme, transcribed by me. the other is an incomplete cool ranch combat theme. all 3 have been published on musescore.

i can transcribe more pirate101 music if you want. i'll publish it on musescore and/or pirate101central.

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013
AndrewDeathblade11... on Oct 8, 2017 wrote:
the party barge theme. i was going to answer this earlier, but i had work to do, and then i had more work to do, more work to do...you might've found out about it now. it's the only new song.

it's not his best in my opinion. i thought the phrasing was really sloppy, especially in the second half. he must not have had much time to work on it.

there are only 3 written pirate101 scores on the internet that i know of. 2 of those are the valencia tense theme and the saloon piano theme, transcribed by me. the other is an incomplete cool ranch combat theme. all 3 have been published on musescore.

i can transcribe more pirate101 music if you want. i'll publish it on musescore and/or pirate101central.
Cool ranch combat theme??? YES. *Types in musescore on searchbar and spams search button*