Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Ship PVP suggestions

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012

We have ships and we fight with them - it was entirely natural that some players wanted to use them against other Pirate's ships.
I truly appreciate the efforts that KI has been making to give players what they want. And making it easier for players with many levels of ships being en par with the max leveled ships.
Forbidding Mojo use in battle was a very good step, as well as including two safety zones at each end of the canyon.
But I have to say that I HATE the "High Noon" arena; it gives me the feeling of entering a chute that leads to the shambles - and for many players that's exactly what it turns out to be.
Thus follows my suggestions to improve the arena:
Give us more than one area to PVP in - if the Spar Chamber gets too crowded, then we're free to go to another server and PVP there.
Give us room to maneuver and get rid of the windlanes - they're not serving any purpose as a "safe harbor".
I'm imagining a round arena and you enter this arena from the "safe harbor" set in the center.
There are no places to hide behind to "ambush".
There could be obstacles in this arena that you must either avoid or overcome. ( examples: Shallows that can slow your ship, moving fog banks where a ship can hide and be non-targetable [ and to be fair ] unable to target others while within the fog, or have an utterly random sea-monster attacking your ship. )
I would really like to hear your suggestions to improve this new ship PVP - don't just rage about it, give some positive input to KI.
And be creative!

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
anecorbie on Oct 3, 2017 wrote:

We have ships and we fight with them - it was entirely natural that some players wanted to use them against other Pirate's ships.
I truly appreciate the efforts that KI has been making to give players what they want. And making it easier for players with many levels of ships being en par with the max leveled ships.
Forbidding Mojo use in battle was a very good step, as well as including two safety zones at each end of the canyon.
But I have to say that I HATE the "High Noon" arena; it gives me the feeling of entering a chute that leads to the shambles - and for many players that's exactly what it turns out to be.
Give us more than one area to PVP in - if the Spar Chamber gets too crowded, then we're free to go to another server and PVP there.
Give us room to maneuver and get rid of the windlanes - they're not serving any purpose as a "safe harbor".
I'm imagining a round arena and you enter this arena from the "safe harbor" set in the center.
There could be obstacles in this arena that you must either avoid or overcome. ( examples: Shallows that can slow your ship, moving fog banks where a ship can hide and be non-targetable [ and to be fair ] unable to target others while within the fog, or have an utterly random sea-monster attacking your ship. )
I would really like to hear your suggestions to improve this new ship PVP - don't just rage about it, give some positive input to KI.
And be creative!
These are excellent suggestions. The canyon is way too long if you start on the far end, and there is nothing to encourage players to leave the Safe Harbors until the enemy ship comes in range. An area like the Corsair's Challenge Cove might be better. I like the ideas for obstacles and such, but the windlanes do add speed, so I don't see why they should go.

Perhaps if a ship is in Safe Harbor more than 30 seconds it would automatically teleport the pirate to Skull Island like a defeat? Or, if it re-enters the Safe Harbor in a wounded state, it cannot attack another ship for 30 seconds? This would cause ships to need to move out into the canyon, as well as discourage the running/hiding.

Derby-like abilities to drop mines or collect bonus buoys would be interesting, too.

Lower-levels are still at a disadvantage due to their ship equipment not being as powerful, but until there is a way to match based on nautical levels, I don't think it can be avoided.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I'll be honest here, I didn't enjoy this type of PVP in test realm; even with the tweaks it still needs work. However, any side content that keeps players occupied instead of bored benefits this game in the long run.
Thank you for the suggestions and I really liked the idea of Derby-like obstacles or boosts.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
anecorbie on Oct 3, 2017 wrote:

And be creative!
Addendum: I feel that a 30 second rule of non- targeting when the ship leaves "Safe Harbor" would be desirable, as otherwise ships could just park themselves at the edge and begin blasting whenever a ship attempts to leave.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
I personally think the safe harbors should stay as is. It makes it more interesting to hang there a few minutes and move out all of a sudden and sink a ship.

Captain
Apr 24, 2016
RRRRZZZZ419 on Oct 4, 2017 wrote:
I personally think the safe harbors should stay as is. It makes it more interesting to hang there a few minutes and move out all of a sudden and sink a ship.
to quoted: or sink MY ship!

to OPS (original posters) I completely agree with willowydream and anecorbie.

Ensign
Feb 07, 2014
why is it even a canyon? no room to move around a bit. seems like making it somewhat wider wouldn't be such a bad idea

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
saruman77 on Oct 8, 2017 wrote:
why is it even a canyon? no room to move around a bit. seems like making it somewhat wider wouldn't be such a bad idea
Welcome, to the message boards, saruman77, and thank you for reading and commenting.