Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Drawing Cards

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 10, 2009
I keep putting cards I need the most in slots 1 and 2, primarily big juju and Blood Flames. I keep finding my self drawing neither of those cards at any point of the battle. Not at the beginning, not after a couple of turns, just never.

I really question how well putting the lowest number under a card is supposed to increase its chances at being drawn.

Even in trying to stack the deck in my favor it feels like its still stacked against me. The odds don't seem right.

Can anyone extrapolate on how I can help to increase my chances or am I just stuck with bad luck and bad draws?

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
While they are supposed to be available in order, as you have seen, Powers don't behave. They merely have a "greater chance" to appear sooner in the order you place them. Kind of like Companions did when the game first started, the first rows had a greater chance to join battle than lower rows or second page companions.

What I noticed a while ago was that I would forget when I changed my gear that the Powers given by the gear I switched would switch around the order I had them set in. If you have been unequipping things and re-equipping them, those Powers would be swapped to the end of the line.

Have you been switching out your gear?

I would like to see us able to "X-out" powers that we seldom/never use, like Wizards are able to remove spells given from items in their deck. Someday?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Detrieus on Mar 25, 2018 wrote:
I keep putting cards I need the most in slots 1 and 2, primarily big juju and Blood Flames. I keep finding my self drawing neither of those cards at any point of the battle. Not at the beginning, not after a couple of turns, just never.

I really question how well putting the lowest number under a card is supposed to increase its chances at being drawn.

Even in trying to stack the deck in my favor it feels like its still stacked against me. The odds don't seem right.

Can anyone extrapolate on how I can help to increase my chances or am I just stuck with bad luck and bad draws?
Does this happen every battle or only a few times? I've noticed that my number 1 and 2 powers often do show in the first or second round of battle. Then there are battles when they don't show up at all and even discarding cards won't bring them up.
It's random draw, you won't get those cards every stinking time you enter a battle, but placing those cards at the top makes it more likely that you'll get them. Meanwhile, start thinking of ways to strategize without becoming so dependent on a few cards.

Ensign
Jun 10, 2009
Willowydream on Mar 26, 2018 wrote:
While they are supposed to be available in order, as you have seen, Powers don't behave. They merely have a "greater chance" to appear sooner in the order you place them. Kind of like Companions did when the game first started, the first rows had a greater chance to join battle than lower rows or second page companions.

What I noticed a while ago was that I would forget when I changed my gear that the Powers given by the gear I switched would switch around the order I had them set in. If you have been unequipping things and re-equipping them, those Powers would be swapped to the end of the line.

Have you been switching out your gear?

I would like to see us able to "X-out" powers that we seldom/never use, like Wizards are able to remove spells given from items in their deck. Someday?

I have not swapped any gear. After it happened twice I checked and everything was where it was supposed to be.

Ensign
Jun 10, 2009
anecorbie on Mar 26, 2018 wrote:
Does this happen every battle or only a few times? I've noticed that my number 1 and 2 powers often do show in the first or second round of battle. Then there are battles when they don't show up at all and even discarding cards won't bring them up.
It's random draw, you won't get those cards every stinking time you enter a battle, but placing those cards at the top makes it more likely that you'll get them. Meanwhile, start thinking of ways to strategize without becoming so dependent on a few cards.
I can confidently say that for at least 7 battles in a row I drew neither my first slot nor second slot cards within the first 3 turns.

I do know I won't get them every stinking time. I do alter my strategy accordingly.

It's also not random; it's a weighted drawing system.

I also raise this point because some classes are excessively power dependent.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I tend to throw a few higher or middling powers lower down the list, especially if I have more than one of them. That way if I run into draws from the bottom, there is useful stuff. It's mixed, but almost always things that I need.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Detrieus on Mar 27, 2018 wrote:
I can confidently say that for at least 7 battles in a row I drew neither my first slot nor second slot cards within the first 3 turns.

I do know I won't get them every stinking time. I do alter my strategy accordingly.

It's also not random; it's a weighted drawing system.

I also raise this point because some classes are excessively power dependent.
It means only that there's a greater chance of drawing those cards, it's still random.

Ensign
Jun 10, 2009
anecorbie on Mar 28, 2018 wrote:
It means only that there's a greater chance of drawing those cards, it's still random.
Random implies equal chances.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Detrieus on Mar 29, 2018 wrote:
Random implies equal chances.
I think you guys are saying the same thing, just using different words. It's weighted based on placement in the order you arrange them, but it's random in that NONE of the slots have a 100% chance for the power to appear. This is different from the "First Mate" option in selecting Companions for battle, because the first companion slot has that 100% chance to appear.

I don't know what the top chance might be, since I've never been interested in doing the research to find out -- but it seems to be about 75% for those first slots down to 50% for the rest, so that the chances aren't all that different overall.

Ensign
Nov 07, 2010
I experience this too! Sometimes in pvp my fog hides and I don't get it at all. It's in my first slot! I think slot 1 should be 100% chance to get and slot 2 90% chance.