Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Regarding Reporting

AuthorMessage
Captain
Jun 10, 2013
I have noticed some problems with the current reporting system and I wanted to suggest improvements.

The first problem I have with the current reporting system is there is no way to track your reports. After I get falsely reported in Avery's Court, or report someone, I do my best to immediately send Kingsisle a chat log e-mail. When I do this they will acknowledge if the report was false or serious, but if it was a serious report the reporter doesn't typically have a way of tracking what happens after the serious report is made. I wish Kingsisle would add a report tracking system that both the reporter and the reported pirate could see. This system would send an in game and e-mail notification when Kingsisle reviewed the report and would notify both the reporter and the reported pirate what the outcome of the report was.

The second problem I have with the current reporting system is if someone makes a threat to actually do something to a pirate in real life. Yes Kingsisle takes these reports seriously but if someone gets a real life threat Kingsisle current has no way to forward the threats to the police. Some threats are extremely serious and need the police to be notified.

The third problem I have with the current reporting system is when a person gets muted or banned they almost always continue making another accounts. These people typically log in on both their muted pirate and their new pirate and place them side by side in Avery's Court to talk and identify themselves. I wish Kingsisle would place a camera in Avery's Court and use it to keep track of muted pirates repeatedly being next to a Level 8 or lower pirate. A lot of times the low level pirate will admit to being muted or banned in the past. Because of this, I wish Kingsisle would make admitting to being muted or banned in the past a reportable offense. As of right now we cannot report pirates who admit to being the new account of a muted or banned pirate and this should change.

The forth problem I have with the current reporting system is the fact it is so easy just to click on everyone's name in the chat box in Avery's Court and report everyone. I wish Kingsisle would make it so if a pirate reports 4 or more pirates within a 15 minute time frame all the reports get looked at together and not individually. This way the people who click on everyone's name in the chat box and report them could be easier identified.

The fifth problem I have with the current reporting system is the fact that only members can use it. It is not right for a crowns player or a non-member to get threatened and be able to do nothing about it in game. Yes these people can e-mail a chat log to Kingsisle but a lot of times Kingsisle doesn't have a way of figuring out which pirate made the threat without a direct report. For example, there are multiple pirates with the same 1 word name.

I hope Kingsisle will take these suggestions and seriously discuss them as possible changes to the current reporting system.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on Mar 30, 2018 wrote:
I have noticed some problems with the current reporting system and I wanted to suggest improvements.

The first problem I have with the current reporting system is there is no way to track your reports. After I get falsely reported in Avery's Court, or report someone, I do my best to immediately send Kingsisle a chat log e-mail. When I do this they will acknowledge if the report was false or serious, but if it was a serious report the reporter doesn't typically have a way of tracking what happens after the serious report is made. I wish Kingsisle would add a report tracking system that both the reporter and the reported pirate could see. This system would send an in game and e-mail notification when Kingsisle reviewed the report and would notify both the reporter and the reported pirate what the outcome of the report was.

The second problem I have with the current reporting system is if someone makes a threat to actually do something to a pirate in real life. Yes Kingsisle takes these reports seriously but if someone gets a real life threat Kingsisle current has no way to forward the threats to the police. Some threats are extremely serious and need the police to be notified.

The third problem I have with the current reporting system is when a person gets muted or banned they almost always continue making another accounts. These people typically log in on both their muted pirate and their new pirate and place them side by side in Avery's Court to talk and identify themselves. I wish Kingsisle would place a camera in Avery's Court and use it to keep track of muted pirates repeatedly being next to a Level 8 or lower pirate. A lot of times the low level pirate will admit to being muted or banned in the past. Because of this, I wish Kingsisle would make admitting to being muted or banned in the past a reportable offense. As of right now we cannot report pirates who admit to being the new account of a muted or banned pirate and this should change.

The forth problem I have with the current reporting system is the fact it is so easy just to click on everyone's name in the chat box in Avery's Court and report everyone. I wish Kingsisle would make it so if a pirate reports 4 or more pirates within a 15 minute time frame all the reports get looked at together and not individually. This way the people who click on everyone's name in the chat box and report them could be easier identified.

The fifth problem I have with the current reporting system is the fact that only members can use it. It is not right for a crowns player or a non-member to get threatened and be able to do nothing about it in game. Yes these people can e-mail a chat log to Kingsisle but a lot of times Kingsisle doesn't have a way of figuring out which pirate made the threat without a direct report. For example, there are multiple pirates with the same 1 word name.

I hope Kingsisle will take these suggestions and seriously discuss them as possible changes to the current reporting system.
There's many problems with your suggestions, Dino, I'll go through them one by one.
1. That there's no way to track progress of being reported or reporting.
A. If you're reported then you'll get an e-mail from KI telling about the report and the sanctions being taken against you ( if the report isn't a false one ). If it's a false report you have no worries.
B. It's not your business to find out what actions are taken against the person being reported - you did what you thought was right, that ends your part of the action. This protects the privacy of the reported individual.
2. That threats aren't being reported to the police. How do you know for a fact that KI doesn't have the ability or company policy to report serious threats? I'm sure KI takes threats seriously, but some of these cases are merely players blowing off steam or trying to harass - KI has ways of dealing with those.
3. This situation of a banned or muted player creating a new account is well known on both games; in fact other MMOs have the same problem. Did you know that KI can track the computer adress of the banned/muted player? If they continue to abuse the system Ki can stop them.
A. That identifying themselves as a banned or muted player should be a reportable offense, this is a violation of privacy. What if they're sorry that they got banned/muted? Don't they deserve a second chance, why shouldn't they continue to play their favorite game without being harassed for making a mistake? If they're doing nothing wrong at the time of just saying they've been banned/muted is not a violation of the Terms of Use.
4. The multiple reports - when you make a report, your name & computer ID is automatically logged; each and every report will have your name - multiple false reports will only get you trouble.
The only thing I agree with is having reporting available to crowns players as well as members. If reporting was available to everyone then KI would be deluged by reports and would be hard put to find

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on Mar 30, 2018 wrote:

Wow! Actually ran out of space!
Continuing:
KI would have a hard time finding the serious reports among the other, less serious/false reports. When using an e-mail chat log, including the time of day ( your time zone ) and realm will help KI locate the chat log.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
anecorbie on Mar 30, 2018 wrote:
There's many problems with your suggestions, Dino, I'll go through them one by one.
1. That there's no way to track progress of being reported or reporting.
A. If you're reported then you'll get an e-mail from KI telling about the report and the sanctions being taken against you ( if the report isn't a false one ). If it's a false report you have no worries.
B. It's not your business to find out what actions are taken against the person being reported - you did what you thought was right, that ends your part of the action. This protects the privacy of the reported individual.
2. That threats aren't being reported to the police. How do you know for a fact that KI doesn't have the ability or company policy to report serious threats? I'm sure KI takes threats seriously, but some of these cases are merely players blowing off steam or trying to harass - KI has ways of dealing with those.
3. This situation of a banned or muted player creating a new account is well known on both games; in fact other MMOs have the same problem. Did you know that KI can track the computer adress of the banned/muted player? If they continue to abuse the system Ki can stop them.
A. That identifying themselves as a banned or muted player should be a reportable offense, this is a violation of privacy. What if they're sorry that they got banned/muted? Don't they deserve a second chance, why shouldn't they continue to play their favorite game without being harassed for making a mistake? If they're doing nothing wrong at the time of just saying they've been banned/muted is not a violation of the Terms of Use.
4. The multiple reports - when you make a report, your name & computer ID is automatically logged; each and every report will have your name - multiple false reports will only get you trouble.
The only thing I agree with is having reporting available to crowns players as well as members. If reporting was available to everyone then KI would be deluged by reports and would be hard put to find
OK, I will respond to your responses.

1A. I personally like to e-mail Kingsisle even when I did get false reported because I like to be reassured they are keeping track of their false reports. I have been false reported several times just hanging out in Avery's Court. But I do understand some people wouldn't want an e-mail like this.

1B. So if you have a friend you feel is in danger and you call the police and have them do a welfare check on them, it isn't your business to find out if they were OK? Also, does privacy of an individual apply when Kingsisle tells you not to use your real life name as your pirate's name? I know the game names of several rule breakers and they later tell me they got muted or banned, but knowing that I still have no idea anything else about them.

2. Well I only assumed Kingsisle isn't currently sending threats to the police. I feel like some people in Avery's Court would complain about talking to the police if they were.

3. I guess it depends on the circumstances. I am all for second chances, but more times than not people use their new low level pirate to continue breaking the rules.

4. I understand about your computer ID being logged, but if Kingsisle has to go through multiple reports how are they going to always figure out the same person has been doing them?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on Mar 31, 2018 wrote:

1A. I personally like to e-mail Kingsisle even when I did get false reported because I like to be reassured they are keeping track of their false reports. I have been false reported several times just hanging out in Avery's Court. But I do understand some people wouldn't want an e-mail like this.

1B. So if you have a friend you feel is in danger and you call the police and have them do a welfare check on them, it isn't your business to find out if they were OK? Also, does privacy of an individual apply when Kingsisle tells you not to use your real life name as your pirate's name? I know the game names of several rule breakers and they later tell me they got muted or banned, but knowing that I still have no idea anything else about them.

2. Well I only assumed Kingsisle isn't currently sending threats to the police. I feel like some people in Avery's Court would complain about talking to the police if they were.

3. I guess it depends on the circumstances. I am all for second chances, but more times than not people use their new low level pirate to continue breaking the rules.

4. I understand about your computer ID being logged, but if Kingsisle has to go through multiple reports how are they going to always figure out the same person has been doing them?
So, you're bothering KI about being false reported, when you know their policy on false reports and you hadn't received a notification. This, imo, is an utter waste of time. You didn't get sanctioned so why bother?
A threat on MMOs is just wasted writing, unless you broke the Terms of Use and told a stranger who you are and where you live, they can't do a thing about you. They just want to scare you. Report, Ignore, then change realms, immediately.
I find it highly unlikely that anyone would complain that they were investigated by police for issuing a threat - this is just stupid.
If they continue breaking the rules, KI has the ability to ban and mute over and over, until they quit or get the message. You have no reason to request that banned or muted players claiming to have made another account to avoid the ban/mute ought to be reported. Nothing in the Terms of Use says that making a second account for that reason is a violation.
Trust KI, They're smart, if reports from one person is showing up on one realm and area in a 15 minute time period ( as you claimed ) then they will know something's fishy.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on Mar 31, 2018 wrote:

1B. So you report to the police that you feel that your friend's life is in danger. They go and investigate. They aren't going to come back to you to tell you the result. KI has the record of the real life pirate's name & e-mail. I repeat, it's none of our business what sanctions KI takes ( or doesn't ) from our reports.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I think because the enforcement of the rules is not being seen by anyone but the offenders and KI, he is not sure the rules are being enforced. There are some delays built in between the report and the sanction, and if the final shoe is dropped on the offender, banning all accounts old and new from an IP address, they do not pop back to tell us it happened. KI does like to keep it's enforcement stealthy, but it is there. I saw the wild days on Wiz when things got out of hand, before the Hall Monitors. They are enforcing the rules here, because it is not what it was like then. Back then, I saw exactly one person with a KI employee badge swoop in, say, "You were warned," and banish someone. There were a very small number of times that I saw someone displaying the employee badge, on Wiz. Even though they don't display it on pirate, I'm sure they are out there. Rrrrzzz419 has even met One-eyed Jack, in-game, at a KI live, was given a Party room by him I believe. I bet when OEJ runs into abuse of terms, they get a mute, and he can flag the bad ones bragging about being multi account trolls to check on later. Maybe a KI employee flashing the occasional badge in Avery's court would be reassuring. The employee would probably be mobbed by friend requests, gift requests, questions, complaints, etc. Might be why they keep a low profile. OEJ have anything to add on this subject?