Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

A New Spiral Adventure!

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Mar 31, 2009
Hello Everyone!

I think that I'm going to purchase the Hoo doo Bundle for my Witch Doctor and will try my hand at Pirate101 this month. (I have a Witch Doctor that was able to go through the Free to Play stuff and then stopped).

I have honestly NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING so any advice or persons that would want to team up would be greatly appreciated!

My first question of the day: What is the best level to redeem all of my stuff at? It appears that the housing item, Monkey Witchdoctor and battle standard are not dependent on your level? But the gear and ship are- what is the best level to redeem these at? (I don't remember what level I am at right now, but I've only done Free to Play so probably less than 10).

Any and all advice or help is strongly requested and welcomed! I'm a veteran Wizard, but I'm not sure about all this Pirate business!

Thank you!

exp613

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
exp613 on Dec 12, 2017 wrote:
Hello Everyone!

I think that I'm going to purchase the Hoo doo Bundle for my Witch Doctor and will try my hand at Pirate101 this month. (I have a Witch Doctor that was able to go through the Free to Play stuff and then stopped).

I have honestly NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING so any advice or persons that would want to team up would be greatly appreciated!

My first question of the day: What is the best level to redeem all of my stuff at? It appears that the housing item, Monkey Witchdoctor and battle standard are not dependent on your level? But the gear and ship are- what is the best level to redeem these at? (I don't remember what level I am at right now, but I've only done Free to Play so probably less than 10).

Any and all advice or help is strongly requested and welcomed! I'm a veteran Wizard, but I'm not sure about all this Pirate business!

Thank you!

exp613
The ship will be very good for when you get to Cool Ranch, so I would suggest redeeming it and your gear for the Level 20 range. That way you get to enjoy it for a while, and look forward to using it at the same time.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
exp613 on Dec 12, 2017 wrote:
Hello Everyone!

Thank you!

exp613
Go ahead and claim the Witchdoctor's Laboratory and HooDoo Cornelius companion ( he'll level up with you. )
As for the gear; I advice you set this for level 55 or 60. When you get to the level to enter the Tower of Moo Manchu, ( around level 58 ) you will get the chance to get gear much better than what is offered in the bundle.
Save the ship for the max level allowed in the bundle ( 65 ), because throughout the early part of the game you'll be given ships in Jonah Town ( after a quest for the Frogfather ), Monquista, and the end of Cool Ranch.
I also advice you to use the Advanced Companions tasks for your companions ( set at least one during the Skull Island adventures ) on the Sailin' Task to help maintain your nautical levels.
Later on, as you recruit more companions, I suggest having one on Keel Haulin' to gain Training tomes for your crew. They can only do this if they are the same level as you or higher level.
If all this advice is confusing, then keep your Tutorials on, they're very helpful!

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
We all feel at sea when we go from Max level wizards to new pirates, but don't give up. You have a head start on some of the controls that are the same in both games, and the rest will start to make sense as you go. There is much good advice on the boards, and pirates like the ones who have answered this post are wandering around in game. Avery's Court is a good place to meet and ask questions, though beware, there are some trolls around too. Just because you are a witch doctor doesn't mean you have to stick to an all witch crew. Crews from other classes sometimes have things that boost you in useful ways, and vice versa, and can defend you where you have a weakness. As a ranged class witch, a buccaneer with hold the line can be very handy at stopping the enemy from getting to you, letting you do your work, as just one example. Crew that boost your strength or agility (not your main stat, that's will) can help you defensively, reducing incoming criticals from enemies that use those stats, and it might give you a critical edge against a witch that has the same will as you. There is no one way to play or one set of crew you must use. You can solo or team, and use whatever crew that works with your style. You will acquire many crew, some are better than others, some may be more useful at tasks like Anecorbie mentioned. One note, if you like doing side quests, there is a lot of nautical XP awarded there. I like doing those, and helping others to sink ships for their quests, so I never needed to put crew on the sailing task myself. Training tome prices rise as you level up, so try to get a full 10 before you hit a level up. The lower your crew is compared to you, the more effect a training tome has. I usually let them lag 2-3 levels below me, so that one tome will pop them up a full level, or when they start having trouble in fights. Favorite crew get a bit more training love from me, to make the most of their powers and talents. If 10 lower, a tome makes a big jump up.

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013
Welcome my friend, to the world of the spiral! That gear in the Hoodoo bundle will be good for the first 20 levels, so thats a good advantage. What i think you should do is go straight to the bazaar after that, (Expensive as it may be.) and pick up what they have there. They have good stuff for every level and its totally worth it. I am level 70 and go there a lot when i need something. And like anecorbie said. Do the tower of moo manchu as soon as possible, No shame in getting some max lvl friends to help you out, either.

Good luck!

Fearless Robert Spencer

Ensign
Mar 31, 2009
Thanks for the replies so far everyone!

I redeemed the Hoodoo Cornelius Companion, Lab and Totem. And am currently waiting till at least level 20 before using the gear (I am currently level 13 and just got to The Gold Mine on the Isle of Doom).

As far as pets go is there a strategy there? I have one pet that is slightly better than the others that I've been feeding snacks to and the other pets I've just been sending on tasks or whatever, but not feeding them. It seems to cost the materials that they come back with to progress to the next stat? I'm not sure if there is a general strategy there?

As far as Companion quests go is it worth it to send them for gear? I tried once and it wasn't any good. Not sure if I was just unlucky or what.

Is there an auto assign option? I can't drive a ship and tell my pet to go train every 2 minutes haha. Also is there a shared bank like in Wizard? I found a few good pieces of equipment that are like either Privateer or Swashbuckler only.

What is the Tower of Manchu? What level do I have to be to do it/where is it?

So far it's been pretty good. I found someone that has been questing with me quite a bit so that's been good. I have also been doing this side quest collecting ambassadors for Captain Avery. It has been a fun side quest! I get to see characters from worlds of the Spiral where we don't get to see them as Wizards!

Thanks all and I've enjoyed your tips! Keep them coming or let me know if you'd like to quest!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
exp613 on Dec 14, 2017 wrote:

I redeemed the Hoodoo Cornelius Companion, Lab and Totem. And am currently waiting till at least level 20 before using the gear (I am currently level 13 and just got to The Gold Mine on the Isle of Doom).

As far as pets go is there a strategy there? I have one pet that is slightly better than the others that I've been feeding snacks to and the other pets I've just been sending on tasks or whatever, but not feeding them. It seems to cost the materials that they come back with to progress to the next stat? I'm not sure if there is a general strategy there?

As far as Companion quests go is it worth it to send them for gear? I tried once and it wasn't any good. Not sure if I was just unlucky or what.

Is there an auto assign option? I can't drive a ship and tell my pet to go train every 2 minutes haha. Also is there a shared bank like in Wizard? I found a few good pieces of equipment that are like either Privateer or Swashbuckler only.

So far it's been pretty good. I found someone that has been questing with me quite a bit so that's been good. I have also been doing this side quest collecting ambassadors for Captain Avery. It has been a fun side quest! I get to see characters from worlds of the Spiral where we don't get to see them as Wizards!

Thanks all and I've enjoyed your tips! Keep them coming or let me know if you'd like to quest!
All are very good questions. There are those more expert on pets and the training of them, I'll let them answer those questions.
Scavengin' - sometimes a companion can bring back carded gear, however, this is rare. I would chose 1 - 2 companions for this task as a "sign-off" before going to bed, when you next log on, they will be ready to collect.
No auto assign, but don't worry, as your pet increases in levels it's training will take longer and won't interrupt your play.
Yes, there is a shared bank.
The Tower of Moo Manchu is our "Waterworks" type dungeon filled with challenging enemies and some of the best gear in the game. You will gain permission to go when you've completed all of MooShu I would advise not entering until you are level 60.

Captain
Sep 19, 2012
exp613 on Dec 14, 2017 wrote:

hi ya! welcome to the message boards! some wonderful questions you've posted and as well got some of the finest people's answers <3

one thing i found incredibly useful as a nooblet was discovering that if i'm in a windlane(safest spot to try this) i can press the space bar to "park" my ship, then tab button to walk away from my steering wheel for a moment to get into my bag or to answer messages from friends etc.. as you go on this technique will help ya to be able to clear off damage/trap tokens on your ship so that if boarded the fight will be that much easier.. cant enter your cabin unfortunately, but you may still find this trick useful as you level up.. to fly again simply walk back up to the wheel and interact..

as far as pets there is a humongous area on these boards dedicated just to that and its busy too :3 I like my pets to be at least old enough to breed, i like making hybrids or improving my bloodlines, as well as making sure i have at least one of that type to share with others that may need a specific one.. in game the path to the morph tent is located just to the left side of avery court and slightly behind the musketeer den as far as direction.. can replay tutorials as needed now too.. feeding them helps boost their level just like on wiz, though on here any snacks will do when pet is low levels, can buy with gold from various venders around spiral for gold, one at top of bleachers in circus maximus stadium, earned as drops from many fights as well as in pet sparring with decius, thats fun and double duty able to see read and understand the moves your pet has learned.. on here pets can be a lifesaving uber loyal never bedresting companion, they'll fight fiercely, cast heals or buffs and generally save ya tail until you get near end of mooshu where you might make pets that just boost your own stats by then.. once you find a fave or 2, at least keeping them at or near your own level at first, bonus if higher :)

stormy jen silver

Captain
Sep 19, 2012
also i love that bundle muchness.. even though i myself am a melee combo witch, the tunic was useful for when i choose those ranged only type fights.. i believe it works with shooty/staffy as well as regular staff, but it wont work with any melee combo types sadly.. still the gear is lovely at various levels and i ended up choosing to buy a second hoodoo bundle as well put extra items in my shared bank.. that particular companion is a melee combo witch that fights much like me lol

I quickly fell in love with pirate101.. the story is amazing and raw game is refreshing.. i love how it ties in so well to wizard's lore and the companions are each unique and endearing.. you'll not regret trying it out i promise :3

stormy jen silver