Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Should A Mojo Potion Be Added To The Crown Shop?

AuthorMessage
Captain
Jun 10, 2013
I got to thinking what if Kingsisle added an additional Mojo Potion elixir to the Crown Shop? I think it would be good if you do a lot of dungeon runs to be able to have an additional blue Mojo Potion to heal your pirate and ship. Right now at max level pirates have 3 Mojo Potions, but yet there are dungeons with 10 rounds. Yes, I am aware there is already a Mojo Potion refill elixir in the Crown Shop but I think it would be nice to go into the Smuggler's Arena with more than 3 Mojo Potions. If Kingsisle added an additional Mojo Potion slot elixir here is how it could work:

Cost: 350 Crowns - Since this would give you an permanent additional blue Mojo Potion slot, I think 350 crowns is a fair price.

Availability: When you start the game you should be able to purchase 1 of these elixirs, after completing the quest A Fishy Business you should be able to purchase a second of these elixirs, and at the point of gaining additional Mojo Potions be able to purchase another elixir each time, A Level 70 pirate should be able to purchase up to 4 of these elixirs for 350 crowns each for a total of 7 blue Mojo Potion slots, this would cost them 1,400 crowns in total.

Notes: Purchasing 1 or more of these elixirs would not fill the additional space with blue Mojo. You would need to collect blue Mojo fruit or buy a Mojo refill elixir. These elixirs would be sold per pirate not per account, so if you bought an additional Mojo slot elixir it would only be added on the pirate you purchased it on.

Any questions or thoughts on this idea?

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I think that learning how your pirate should be managing healing and potions is part of learning to play the game. Potions should be there for emergencies, not to use after every battle.

That being said, I'm sure there are people who would be happy to throw Crowns at something like this and still not have full bottles when they start the dungeon. I run into them all the time via the Team Up Ledger. Just like the people in Aquila bragging about their Level 26 Nautical...

Community Leader
No. This is a terrible idea. We should not further nerf some of the only "difficult" dungeons like smuggler's arena (A dungeon that, with a competent and well-geared team, is still a complete pushover) with pay-to-win items. I have habitually soloed smuggler's arena, and it is more than possible to solo it with 0 mojo potions. Having 3 makes it even easier. Secondly, what dungeon, other than smuggler's arena, would this be useful for? Kane? That's a 3 fight dungeon. You need 2 at tops. Moo Manchu? Sure, it's a 10 floor tower, but it has a floor with regenerating health wisps halfway up the tower, before any of the remotely difficult fights start. There's no reason that you would need a mojo potion after each of these first 4 floors, unless your team was a near-complete failure. Regatta? Sure, but it, like Smuggler's arena, is supposed to be a very challenging dungeon. Giving a plurality of potions would essentially allow for a "cheesing" of the dungeon.

What I think this post is, quite simply, is an indirect complaint that Smuggler's Arena is too difficult (to solo). That's good. There are supposed to be challenges in the game, and eliminating some or all of them with mojo potions removes any sort of sense of accomplishment from beating them

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on Apr 11, 2018 wrote:
I got to thinking what if Kingsisle added an additional Mojo Potion elixir to the Crown Shop? I think it would be good if you do a lot of dungeon runs to be able to have an additional blue Mojo Potion to heal your pirate and ship. Right now at max level pirates have 3 Mojo Potions, but yet there are dungeons with 10 rounds. Yes, I am aware there is already a Mojo Potion refill elixir in the Crown Shop but I think it would be nice to go into the Smuggler's Arena with more than 3 Mojo Potions. If Kingsisle added an additional Mojo Potion slot elixir here is how it could work:

Cost: 350 Crowns - Since this would give you an permanent additional blue Mojo Potion slot, I think 350 crowns is a fair price.

Availability: When you start the game you should be able to purchase 1 of these elixirs, after completing the quest A Fishy Business you should be able to purchase a second of these elixirs, and at the point of gaining additional Mojo Potions be able to purchase another elixir each time, A Level 70 pirate should be able to purchase up to 4 of these elixirs for 350 crowns each for a total of 7 blue Mojo Potion slots, this would cost them 1,400 crowns in total.

Notes: Purchasing 1 or more of these elixirs would not fill the additional space with blue Mojo. You would need to collect blue Mojo fruit or buy a Mojo refill elixir. These elixirs would be sold per pirate not per account, so if you bought an additional Mojo slot elixir it would only be added on the pirate you purchased it on.

Dino, you ought to check the crown shop before posting. Mojo Potions are already available.
Post Edit: Yeah, yeah, I know, I didn't completely read through this post. BUT, when you buy a refill, it gets used instantly, just when during a Smuggler's Arena would you have the time to buy, much less use a mojo potion - you can't during the planning phase of the battles and there's not enough time during the "breaks" between fights - you barely have enough time to hit a potion in there as it is.
Gauntlets are made to be challenging - weren't you complaining several months ago that the Arena was "too easy" and you suggested doubling the rounds and making enemies 20 levels above pirates level?
Wait until we gain higher levels; Wizards got 4 mana potions when they hit level 90 ( I think ) and we'll gain more mojo also.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
anecorbie on Apr 11, 2018 wrote:
Dino, you ought to check the crown shop before posting. Mojo Potions are already available.
Post Edit: Yeah, yeah, I know, I didn't completely read through this post. BUT, when you buy a refill, it gets used instantly, just when during a Smuggler's Arena would you have the time to buy, much less use a mojo potion - you can't during the planning phase of the battles and there's not enough time during the "breaks" between fights - you barely have enough time to hit a potion in there as it is.
Gauntlets are made to be challenging - weren't you complaining several months ago that the Arena was "too easy" and you suggested doubling the rounds and making enemies 20 levels above pirates level?
Wait until we gain higher levels; Wizards got 4 mana potions when they hit level 90 ( I think ) and we'll gain more mojo also.
E.D., You ought to have fully read my post before replying. In my original post, I already acknowledged Yes, I am aware there is already a Mojo Potion refill elixir in the Crown Shop but I think it would be nice to go into the Smuggler's Arena with more than 3 Mojo Potions." My idea calls for a different elixir that increases your amount of Mojo Potion space.

To respond to Matthew's reply. I want you to realize first of all these additional Mojo Potion space elixirs would be optional to buy. I don't think I would personally buy 4 of them, but I would really consider buying 1 or 2. As for your complaint about easy wins on dungeons, this might be helpful to people who haven't got The Imperial Robes of Moo Manchu or Captain Blood's Jacket for the Smuggler's Arena. Speaking of the Smuggler's Arena, the enemies always start out at full health whereas your pirate doesn't if they were attacked prior to the previous round ending. I have actually done a full smuggler's arena run several times. A few of those times, especially when I didn't have a full team helping me, 1 or 2 extra Mojo Potions would have gone a long way. Perhaps your complaint is not about the extra Mojo Potions but my original post calling for the ability to have up to 4 extra ones. Would it make you feel better if instead of up to 4, it was only up to 2 extra ones?

Community Leader
E.D., You ought to have fully read my post before replying. In my original post, I already acknowledged Yes, I am aware there is already a Mojo Potion refill elixir in the Crown Shop but I think it would be nice to go into the Smuggler's Arena with more than 3 Mojo Potions." My idea calls for a different elixir that increases your amount of Mojo Potion space.

To respond to Matthew's reply. I want you to realize first of all these additional Mojo Potion space elixirs would be optional to buy. I don't think I would personally buy 4 of them, but I would really consider buying 1 or 2. As for your complaint about easy wins on dungeons, this might be helpful to people who haven't got The Imperial Robes of Moo Manchu or Captain Blood's Jacket for the Smuggler's Arena. Speaking of the Smuggler's Arena, the enemies always start out at full health whereas your pirate doesn't if they were attacked prior to the previous round ending. I have actually done a full smuggler's arena run several times. A few of those times, especially when I didn't have a full team helping me, 1 or 2 extra Mojo Potions would have gone a long way. Perhaps your complaint is not about the extra Mojo Potions but my original post calling for the ability to have up to 4 extra ones. Would it make you feel better if instead of up to 4, it was only up to 2 extra ones?
No, I would not. I have a problem, in principle, of having more than 3 mojo potions, especially if those extra potions are earned in a pay-to-win way. As Willowdreamer said in her reply, learning how to manage your potions properly is an essential facet of the game. Smuggler's is supposed to be hard. Part of the challenge is the fact the enemies start out at full health and you often don't. That's what makes the instance unique. Having any amount of extra mojo potions reduces that challenge in a non-insignificant way.

As for the people that lack items like Blood Flames and Moo Boots, I have 2 responses:
1. I doubt very highly that someone with that problem cannot find a single person with one of those gear pieces that is willing to run the dungeon.
2. Smuggler's is optional. Their lack of top-tier gear is not preventing progression in any way. In addition, the difficulty of the instance is well-documented (there are multiple guides on duelist and youtube). If someone goes in underprepared, it's on them. The game shouldn't lower its difficulty level to cater to that player. In other words, git gud.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012

See my post edit reply to your opening post.
As to your contention that certain items are needed to do a Smuggler's Arena - I was running that arena long before I gained any of those items. They aren't necessary to win an Arena run, all that is needed is a good team with experience and skill to win. Training heals or gaining a pet that heals/grants heals is as good or even better than throwing precious crowns down the drain to run an optional gauntlet ( a gauntlet btw, that doesn't drop gear or much gold. )
As Willowydream pointed out, managing your potions is a big part of strategy, there are some dungeons where you fight several battles without a break between to heal up. Fort Basset is one of these. I've fought plenty of battles where I've been under in health, yet won through, others can also do this.
Last September you posted an idea for a more challenging Arena, because it was too easy, powerful gear had us "breezing through" the Arena - you can't have it both ways; either the Arena is a challenge or it's not.
When we rise higher in levels we may gain another Mojo potion, without the need to buy a refill.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Matthew525011 on Apr 12, 2018 wrote:
No, I would not. I have a problem, in principle, of having more than 3 mojo potions, especially if those extra potions are earned in a pay-to-win way. As Willowdreamer said in her reply, learning how to manage your potions properly is an essential facet of the game. Smuggler's is supposed to be hard. Part of the challenge is the fact the enemies start out at full health and you often don't. That's what makes the instance unique. Having any amount of extra mojo potions reduces that challenge in a non-insignificant way.

As for the people that lack items like Blood Flames and Moo Boots, I have 2 responses:
1. I doubt very highly that someone with that problem cannot find a single person with one of those gear pieces that is willing to run the dungeon.
2. Smuggler's is optional. Their lack of top-tier gear is not preventing progression in any way. In addition, the difficulty of the instance is well-documented (there are multiple guides on duelist and youtube). If someone goes in underprepared, it's on them. The game shouldn't lower its difficulty level to cater to that player. In other words, git gud.
Instead of saying "git gud", I would say "git smart". I bought that gauntlet from the beginning, before I had any of the OP items players say is a "must" to succeed. It can be beaten with good gear and a good team - and a team is much more fun than a solo attempt. I've tried to solo it ( just for the bragging rights ),and most recently almost did it, got knocked out in the final battle.
But I've had much more fun doing this Arena with friends, even when we lose, it's still fun. And WHY is it fun? BECAUSE of the challenge!

Admiral
May 30, 2010

Oh, dear lord, no. Who the heck needs 6 or 7 mojo potions to do a single dungeon? If you're sucking down that much mojo you really, really need to revisit your tactics. Or level your companions. Or both.

Even scaling back the number of potions from astronomically excessive to mere atrociously excessive wouldn't change my opinion. You can do Moo's tower and the Arena without using more than your allotted three potions if you're playing with good strategy. Having the bestest gear in the game doesn't make that big a difference.

You're asking for a huge game-changer for way too little cost. Scale back to a single additional potion if you absolutely need the extra mojo and bump the price up to real money -- say, 3500 crowns for that one -- and I'd still dislike the idea.

I'm very distinctly in the anti-extra mojo potion camp. Just buy refills for your 3 bottles when you've sucked them dry, if you don't want to leave the dungeon to refill or can't leave the gauntlet.