Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What If You Could Get A Name Never Chosen Before?

AuthorMessage
Captain
Jun 10, 2013
What if Kingsisle added a feature to Pirate 101 that when you make a new character and get to the name selection screen there was a button that would give your pirate a random name never used before. I believe there is a random name button, but it can give you any possible pirate name.

Before anyone says this is a bad idea. Yes, I am aware of the fact that if Kingsisle added this feature it might give you the name of a pirate that had been banned. Perhaps there would be a way to code it so that didn't happen.

And yes, perhaps every single name combination has already been chosen. I have no way of knowing one way or the other but I am assuming there are some combinations that are still yet to be used.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
RRRRZZZZ419 on Apr 16, 2018 wrote:
What if Kingsisle added a feature to Pirate 101 that when you make a new character and get to the name selection screen there was a button that would give your pirate a random name never used before. I believe there is a random name button, but it can give you any possible pirate name.

Before anyone says this is a bad idea. Yes, I am aware of the fact that if Kingsisle added this feature it might give you the name of a pirate that had been banned. Perhaps there would be a way to code it so that didn't happen.

And yes, perhaps every single name combination has already been chosen. I have no way of knowing one way or the other but I am assuming there are some combinations that are still yet to be used.
Vadima talked about names in one of the newsletters, mentioning about some of the more uncommon names and titles. At that time, I think she said there was one nickname and name combination which had never been used. That was a while ago, so it may or may not be true still. There are probably a lot of names that have been used rarely, only once or twice. So unless they add more name options, it is probably not possible to get a name that was never used before.
As for getting a name of a pirate that was banned, I don't really see that being a big problem. I think the random name generator lets you re-roll until you get a name you find acceptable. Are you worried that the good seeming name you chose will turn out to have a bad reputation because there is a banned troll that had used it? I would hope that people would realize that there are a lot of names that multiple people have chosen, who don't even know each other, for example all those Daniel Radcliffs and Donna Nobles.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Calamity Finch on Apr 16, 2018 wrote:
Vadima talked about names in one of the newsletters, mentioning about some of the more uncommon names and titles. At that time, I think she said there was one nickname and name combination which had never been used. That was a while ago, so it may or may not be true still. There are probably a lot of names that have been used rarely, only once or twice. So unless they add more name options, it is probably not possible to get a name that was never used before.
As for getting a name of a pirate that was banned, I don't really see that being a big problem. I think the random name generator lets you re-roll until you get a name you find acceptable. Are you worried that the good seeming name you chose will turn out to have a bad reputation because there is a banned troll that had used it? I would hope that people would realize that there are a lot of names that multiple people have chosen, who don't even know each other, for example all those Daniel Radcliffs and Donna Nobles.
Wait, so you think Vadima said only 1 name combination hadn't been used at that time, if so was she talking about Pirate(which has a larger name selection) or Wizard(which has a smaller name selection)?

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
I guess my questions are:

1. How many name combinations have never been used?

2. How many name combinations have only been used once?

3. How many name combinations have only been used twice?

I would like to hear the answers to these questions for Pirate 101 and for Wizard 101? Would be interesting to know.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
It was Pirate101 that Vadima was talking about specifically. I re-read the newsletter it was in. At the time she posted, Sept. 2013, there were still many, many name combinations that had not been used out of a total 10 1/2 million possible combos. In the newsletter, she said there was one nickname and one last name that had never been used, at that time. No, she didn't say what they were. She also mentioned some of the seldom used names. At the time, almost no one had chosen the nicknames "Cowardly" and "Weak". She also suggested some of the less used first and last names, which I think has made them become less rare than they had been.

Vadima has a Sticky Posted thread, Vadima's Visions where you can propose questions for her to answer. Might be nice to have an update on this naming subject.