Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Royal Guards - impossible for swashbucklers!

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 06, 2011
Please nerf this. More than five times has my team been one shotted by their epics, their riposte goes through but my companions' riposte 3 does not, my companions and I cannot hit hard because of First Strike 3, the crit too much, and their epics are too overpowered. This is literally impossible. Nerf this, please! Their epics do so much more than their super hits!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Jacob LotusCaller on Oct 12, 2017 wrote:
Please nerf this. More than five times has my team been one shotted by their epics, their riposte goes through but my companions' riposte 3 does not, my companions and I cannot hit hard because of First Strike 3, the crit too much, and their epics are too overpowered. This is literally impossible. Nerf this, please! Their epics do so much more than their super hits!
It's not impossible for Swashbucklers, I did this ( solo ) at the lowly level of 66.Don't use a full buckler team, include a buccaneer with Hold the Line ( Ratbeard is excellent for this ). Also a musketeer to hold them off ( I suggest using Bonnie Anne ).
Use Black Fog as a defense, use that time to shield ( if you have shields ) and buff ( El Toro & Gambit of Steel ). If you have summon doubloons use those, too. The enemy will be distracted and attack them.
Please realize this dungeon is very tough and you WILL loose at least 2 ( if not all ) the companions you choose for this battle.
At the time I did this I had a Moo tower Totem, necklace & ring. For heals and extra dodge. I was armed with level 60 boarding knives ( crown shop ) but if I didn't have those, I would have used Blades of Shade ( Cadmus, Caves of Ruin ). I also had Shoes of Faunus which gave me a shield and my pet which grants me triton's song.
You can also ask for help through Team-Up; now that we have a ledger a lot of max levels are looking for ways to help other pirates!

Gunner's Mate
Sep 07, 2014
Silly ? - i dont find this quest listed anywhere / you sure you have the right name for it?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Krigleblort on Oct 13, 2017 wrote:
Silly ? - i dont find this quest listed anywhere / you sure you have the right name for it?
He/'s talking about the Duomo in Florenza.

Ensign
Jun 06, 2011
I'm used to using full buckler team. I did get past this, however, but only by hiring a witchdoctor henchmen.

Petty Officer
Oct 29, 2011
I remember going through this on my swashbuckler and just getting one shotted by their critical hits. In the end I decided I was sick of losing companions to this quest so I somehow got help from a friend who I feel really bad for because he lost I think almost all three companions. My friend was very surprised by the amount of damage these mobs do.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
This is what makes me sad about many players in this game. When they can't defeat a dungeon, they don't consider that changing their team & strategy could help them win. If it doesn't work the first couple of times, why continue to go in and use the same team & the same strategy?
And why not use a team-up instead of throwing money at the problem?
That dungeon is hard, yes, it's meant to be hard, but it's not "impossible" or no one would be able to beat it.

Ensign
Dec 25, 2009
anecorbie on Oct 23, 2017 wrote:
This is what makes me sad about many players in this game. When they can't defeat a dungeon, they don't consider that changing their team & strategy could help them win. If it doesn't work the first couple of times, why continue to go in and use the same team & the same strategy?
That dungeon is hard, yes, it's meant to be hard, but it's not "impossible" or no one would be able to beat it.
Basically, "git gud".

Honestly, this was insanely difficult compared to previous battles, almost no warning at all. I personally do not like the difficulty spike, but rather prefer a gradual difficulty change so that we can slowly adapt and change. (Like my strategy is completely different in Aquila compared to Skull Island).

I managed to beat this dungeon by sacrificing several members of my crew and several doubloons. Basically, I summoned a bunch of little minions that absorbed the guaranteed critical while maintaining stealth, then attack when their 2k-one-shot ability is down (which is quite dumb cause it can't miss and it will always do 2k. I don't think I ever can do 2k unless I'm super lucky and steathed).

Also, team-up is dead right now. At least whenever I tried. The last time team up worked for me was way back in Skull Island against the Aztecasaur boss. I've waited several hours for nobody.

But this dungeon is completely doable. I've been playing for less than a month and I was able to beat it, so literally anyone else can.

Also, why does Rip-Off Mitch charge so much for revival. With this difficulty, I would expect a little scale back on the cost. I am literally out of companions level 58+ (and I had like 10 of them).

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
John Hawkward on Nov 20, 2017 wrote:
Basically, "git gud".

Honestly, this was insanely difficult compared to previous battles, almost no warning at all. I personally do not like the difficulty spike, but rather prefer a gradual difficulty change so that we can slowly adapt and change. (Like my strategy is completely different in Aquila compared to Skull Island).

I managed to beat this dungeon by sacrificing several members of my crew and several doubloons. Basically, I summoned a bunch of little minions that absorbed the guaranteed critical while maintaining stealth, then attack when their 2k-one-shot ability is down (which is quite dumb cause it can't miss and it will always do 2k. I don't think I ever can do 2k unless I'm super lucky and steathed).

Also, team-up is dead right now. At least whenever I tried. The last time team up worked for me was way back in Skull Island against the Aztecasaur boss. I've waited several hours for nobody.

But this dungeon is completely doable. I've been playing for less than a month and I was able to beat it, so literally anyone else can.

Also, why does Rip-Off Mitch charge so much for revival. With this difficulty, I would expect a little scale back on the cost. I am literally out of companions level 58+ (and I had like 10 of them).
Miracles don't come cheap, young pirate.
And you might consider raising the levels of more than 10. When I did VA I had at least 16 companions available for combat. Level 58 is way too low for VA2.
Post Edit: Actually, my advice is "get smarter".
As to team-up, peak hours of play are best to find one. If you're playing in North America, your chances are best during the times of: 6 p.m. Eastern ( 5 p.m. Central and 3 p.m. Pacific ) and 9 p.m. Eastern ( 8 p.m. Central and 6 p.m. Pacific ). Or you can try on a weekend.

Ensign
Dec 25, 2009
anecorbie on Nov 21, 2017 wrote:
Miracles don't come cheap, young pirate.
And you might consider raising the levels of more than 10. When I did VA I had at least 16 companions available for combat. Level 58 is way too low for VA2.
Post Edit: Actually, my advice is "get smarter".
As to team-up, peak hours of play are best to find one. If you're playing in North America, your chances are best during the times of: 6 p.m. Eastern ( 5 p.m. Central and 3 p.m. Pacific ) and 9 p.m. Eastern ( 8 p.m. Central and 6 p.m. Pacific ). Or you can try on a weekend.
I've done exactly that, I've used up all my money for tomes and got like 5 more companions to 60+

Now waiting for someone to team up for Kane

No way I can solo that.

On a completely unrelated note that probably has its own thread:
Regarding "Miracle" Mike, I understand Miracles aren't cheap, but 25-30k per companion per wound is really expensive. Maybe 20k per wound? It's still pricey if I wanna revive like 5 or 6 companions that's like double wounded. I mean, they aren't dead, and we can get revived by a Life Fountain (which apparently is speciest and only works on humans).

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
anecorbie on Oct 23, 2017 wrote:
I wonder if a new tutorial tip could be created if and when a player choose to use the In Order crew setting, reminding them that we have a large variety of companions for a reason. OR, maybe they cannot select the In Order setting until reaching Level 10. Learning to win with random companions is a huge part of early game tactics and strategy, and unfortunately did not survive negative player feedback. Too many players bash most companions as being "useless" or "the worst" and new players take those opinions as gospel, thinking they have to use a certain team to win. Placing unwanted companions as housing items only underlines the opinion that "they're useless."

Honestly, the more I use team up to try to legitimately help players and see people complaining about losing companions over and over makes me shake my head -- most recently, I ported to help against Bishop, and was REALLY surprised to see the person I was helping started the next battle with ZERO companions because (she said) she would waste gold reviving her favorites after the dungeon?? WHAT? I told her, even wounded any crew is better than nobody. It really disheartened me that she then made a comment about how Kingsisle hates their player community and other disparaging remarks. I feel as though I should just un-friend this person.

If she is on these boards, maybe she will defend herself, but I don't know. If there are players out there giving others the idea that the game is broken rather than advice about changing their play habits and strategies, it's really hard for new players to get better.

I agree with anecorbie - it makes me sad...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Willowydream on Nov 21, 2017 wrote:
I wonder if a new tutorial tip could be created if and when a player choose to use the In Order crew setting, reminding them that we have a large variety of companions for a reason. OR, maybe they cannot select the In Order setting until reaching Level 10. Learning to win with random companions is a huge part of early game tactics and strategy, and unfortunately did not survive negative player feedback. Too many players bash most companions as being "useless" or "the worst" and new players take those opinions as gospel, thinking they have to use a certain team to win. Placing unwanted companions as housing items only underlines the opinion that "they're useless."

Honestly, the more I use team up to try to legitimately help players and see people complaining about losing companions over and over makes me shake my head -- most recently, I ported to help against Bishop, and was REALLY surprised to see the person I was helping started the next battle with ZERO companions because (she said) she would waste gold reviving her favorites after the dungeon?? WHAT? I told her, even wounded any crew is better than nobody. It really disheartened me that she then made a comment about how Kingsisle hates their player community and other disparaging remarks. I feel as though I should just un-friend this person.

If she is on these boards, maybe she will defend herself, but I don't know. If there are players out there giving others the idea that the game is broken rather than advice about changing their play habits and strategies, it's really hard for new players to get better.

There is some advice from Ratbeard that I took to heart.
" Through much of this game, you may find yourself having 'no trouble at all' and this often leads to bad habits: getting stuck in a rut. Don't keep bashing your head against the wall trying the same old tactics you were skating along with."
Quote from the post: "Steely Resolve is overpowered."

Ensign
Dec 25, 2009
Willowydream on Nov 21, 2017 wrote:

I agree with you on many of your points, but I think the reason people have “useless” companions is because some are seriously underwhelming compared to their favorites. Lack of powers, epics, etc. Take Bonnie Anne for example. She is my best ranged unit compared to Buffalo Bill at the same level. Her scatterblast is great at reducing their dodge so I can land my attacks at those dodgy awash.

I also figured out which companions are better by myself because of the power difference. My original favorite companions were selected because they look unique and nobody else uses them, but they were incredibly underwhelming and made battles more agonizing than they should.

So I propose KI buff some of the lower end companions by adding powers to them.

Idk, that’s what I’ve observed and experienced in a month of playing. A newbies point of view if you will.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
John Hawkward on Nov 21, 2017 wrote:
I've done exactly that, I've used up all my money for tomes and got like 5 more companions to 60+

Now waiting for someone to team up for Kane

No way I can solo that.

On a completely unrelated note that probably has its own thread:
Regarding "Miracle" Mike, I understand Miracles aren't cheap, but 25-30k per companion per wound is really expensive. Maybe 20k per wound? It's still pricey if I wanna revive like 5 or 6 companions that's like double wounded. I mean, they aren't dead, and we can get revived by a Life Fountain (which apparently is speciest and only works on humans).
I believe that Miracle Mitch is that expensive because it is a way of discouraging players from constantly healing defeated companions. Reviving them at a Life Fountain would mean that there would be zero need to use anyone other than our favorite crew. The fact that they are getting defeated over and over should tell us that they aren't the best against those enemies and make us think up a new combination.

Having companions at Level 60 when you are Level 70 is still handicapping yourself in a way, and if that is the reason battles are feeling impossible, is that the game's fault?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
John Hawkward on Nov 22, 2017 wrote:
I agree with you on many of your points, but I think the reason people have “useless” companions is because some are seriously underwhelming compared to their favorites. Lack of powers, epics, etc. Take Bonnie Anne for example. She is my best ranged unit compared to Buffalo Bill at the same level. Her scatterblast is great at reducing their dodge so I can land my attacks at those dodgy awash.

I also figured out which companions are better by myself because of the power difference. My original favorite companions were selected because they look unique and nobody else uses them, but they were incredibly underwhelming and made battles more agonizing than they should.

So I propose KI buff some of the lower end companions by adding powers to them.

Idk, that’s what I’ve observed and experienced in a month of playing. A newbies point of view if you will.
While I agree that our most powered companions are preferred, what Willowydream & I are trying to promote is that an over-looked, under-appreciated companioncan get the job done. If you've taken the time to train and give them the best talents for their class & use them in the manner for which they're intended .
As an example: I was recently in a team-up for Medusa, the swashbuckler I was helping had Nurse Quinn for the first battle. He fogged, but instead of keeping Quinn out of trouble, he sent into the thick of it and had her attack. Needless to say her performance wasn't stellar - she missed all her attempts. This would be enough to convince anyone of her "uselessness".
However, I have used her effectively in many battles, even against Kane. You just got to realize she does best as a support unit and not a hitter.
This is the same for all companions considered second or third tier. Train them, promote them, learn their strengths and weaknesses, and when your favorites take a nap - then they'll be there to help get you through a battle.