Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

About The P101 And W101 Char Selection Screens

AuthorMessage
Captain
Jun 10, 2013
I wanted to post a few thoughts on how to improve the Pirate 101 and Wizard 101 character selection screens.

First of all, a lot of people(especially Wizard 101 players who have 7 schools to choose from) want a 7th character spot. I agree with people on the Wizard 101 message boards that this could be done easily by making it so your Pirate or Wizard that you want to select takes the spot of the 1 you previously selected. If Kingsisle made this happen you would always have 1 pirate or wizard in the standing ready to play position and 6 others behind them in the waiting positions.

Secondly, I noticed that Pirate 101's character selection screen has a Sunrise or Sunset behind it. I got to thinking, what if Kingsisle made it so based on the time on your computers clock the background on your character selection screen for Pirate 101 changed from Nighttime, to Dawn, to Sunrise, to Daytime, to Sunset, to Twilight, and back to Nighttime. I think this would be really cool and the character selection screen would be exciting this way.

Any thoughts?

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
RRRRZZZZ419 on Apr 6, 2018 wrote:
I wanted to post a few thoughts on how to improve the Pirate 101 and Wizard 101 character selection screens.

First of all, a lot of people(especially Wizard 101 players who have 7 schools to choose from) want a 7th character spot. I agree with people on the Wizard 101 message boards that this could be done easily by making it so your Pirate or Wizard that you want to select takes the spot of the 1 you previously selected. If Kingsisle made this happen you would always have 1 pirate or wizard in the standing ready to play position and 6 others behind them in the waiting positions.

Secondly, I noticed that Pirate 101's character selection screen has a Sunrise or Sunset behind it. I got to thinking, what if Kingsisle made it so based on the time on your computers clock the background on your character selection screen for Pirate 101 changed from Nighttime, to Dawn, to Sunrise, to Daytime, to Sunset, to Twilight, and back to Nighttime. I think this would be really cool and the character selection screen would be exciting this way.

Any thoughts?
Personally, I've always thought that the 7 schools/6 slots debate on Wizard101 was unrealistic. People aren't always going to get 100% of everything the way they want it, and having to choose which class to leave out made it slightly more interesting when creating that final wizard. I don't think a 7th wizard per account will ever happen. So many players simply create a second account.

As for the Pirate101 screen. I don't spend a whole lot of time looking at it, so whether it's a sunset or changed wouldn't make much difference to me. Yes, it would be really cool, but how far would you take it? Would you want our pirates to appear to sleep if it was night? Eat if it was dinnertime? How much of Kingsisle's limited Pirate101 resources would you redirect to this change, and would you rather see this change than a new world?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I've always felt we were fortunate to get 6 character slots - so many MMOs allow you only 3 and they have more classes than slots, as well.
I'm sorry but having the background on the character select screen change with time of day and have it reflect the time where you live will probably be horrendously difficult to code & cost more in resources, all without actually making the game better.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Willowydream on Apr 6, 2018 wrote:
Personally, I've always thought that the 7 schools/6 slots debate on Wizard101 was unrealistic. People aren't always going to get 100% of everything the way they want it, and having to choose which class to leave out made it slightly more interesting when creating that final wizard. I don't think a 7th wizard per account will ever happen. So many players simply create a second account.

As for the Pirate101 screen. I don't spend a whole lot of time looking at it, so whether it's a sunset or changed wouldn't make much difference to me. Yes, it would be really cool, but how far would you take it? Would you want our pirates to appear to sleep if it was night? Eat if it was dinnertime? How much of Kingsisle's limited Pirate101 resources would you redirect to this change, and would you rather see this change than a new world?

I think our pirates actually appearing to eat or sleep would be going way over the top. Not everybody eats at the same time, and some people sleep during the day because they work the night shift. Regardless of those facts, everybody that lives in your area experiences daylight and darkness at the same time.

And crafting and a new world should definitely come first.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
RRRRZZZZ419 on Apr 6, 2018 wrote:

Any thoughts?
Perhaps the first step into making this idea happen would be to add 1 new character selection screen that contained a moon as opposed to the current sun and during nighttime hours make that one standard and during daytime hours keep the current character selection screen with the sun.

Petty Officer
Oct 29, 2011
I think adding 7 characters would be a great idea. They added a potion to wizard101 that allows you to skip worlds, if they added that I wouldn't be surprised to see an extra character spot added. Also, I wouldn't worry about coding and stuff like that, its not our job as the players to worry.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
frostednutella on May 19, 2018 wrote:
I think adding 7 characters would be a great idea. They added a potion to wizard101 that allows you to skip worlds, if they added that I wouldn't be surprised to see an extra character spot added. Also, I wouldn't worry about coding and stuff like that, its not our job as the players to worry.
But we should take into consideration whether our requests are possible, instead of going around and asking for the impossible then being disappointed when that request is not implemented.

Petty Officer
Oct 29, 2011
anecorbie on May 20, 2018 wrote:
But we should take into consideration whether our requests are possible, instead of going around and asking for the impossible then being disappointed when that request is not implemented.
Most people when asking for something to be added in the game understand that it is likely not going to be added.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
frostednutella on May 20, 2018 wrote:
Most people when asking for something to be added in the game understand that it is likely not going to be added.
Indeed? When KI has a very good record in responding to player's requests? All you have to do is go into old posts and see how much KI has given us because players asked for it.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
frostednutella on May 20, 2018 wrote:
I hate to say it but they may be a large part of why several max level pirates no longer play Pirate 101. They feel their desires of crafting or a new world haven't yet been listened to and they know people have asked Ki for it. I like that Kingsisle provides us the forums to ask them stuff and I would like to see more ideas posted on these forums added to the game. I would also like these forums to more become a part of Ki Live in the future.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
RRRRZZZZ419 on May 20, 2018 wrote:
I hate to say it but they may be a large part of why several max level pirates no longer play Pirate 101. They feel their desires of crafting or a new world haven't yet been listened to and they know people have asked Ki for it. I like that Kingsisle provides us the forums to ask them stuff and I would like to see more ideas posted on these forums added to the game. I would also like these forums to more become a part of Ki Live in the future.
I do agree with your last comment there. I don't use Twitter, so I would certainly like to see more questions from these boards instead of from social media.

Petty Officer
Oct 29, 2011
anecorbie on May 20, 2018 wrote:
Indeed? When KI has a very good record in responding to player's requests? All you have to do is go into old posts and see how much KI has given us because players asked for it.
You can also go back and see the enormous stack of player requests that were also not added into the game.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
frostednutella on May 22, 2018 wrote:
You can also go back and see the enormous stack of player requests that were also not added into the game.
Almost all of those were impossible, like this idea.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
anecorbie on May 23, 2018 wrote:
This is the fifth time I have tried to respond to a post. Apparently, the website glitch I reported earlier is giving me troubles.

How do you know this would be "impossible" to code? Would a new world also be "impossible" to code?

For the basic idea to work all Kingsisle would have to do is to create a new "moon character selection screen" to be be used during nighttime hours. Kingsisle could also use US Central Time which they already have on all of their computers at their Austin, TX headquarters to determine when the "sun character selection screen" is displayed and when the "moon character selection screen" is displayed. During the summer the "moon character selection screen" could be used between 10 PM and 5 AM US Central Time, and during the winter the "moon character selection screen" could be used between 8 PM and 7 AM US Central Time, these are the hours most of the Continental US is dark. The "sun character selection screen" could be used at all other times.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on May 24, 2018 wrote:
This is the fifth time I have tried to respond to a post. Apparently, the website glitch I reported earlier is giving me troubles.

How do you know this would be "impossible" to code? Would a new world also be "impossible" to code?

For the basic idea to work all Kingsisle would have to do is to create a new "moon character selection screen" to be be used during nighttime hours. Kingsisle could also use US Central Time which they already have on all of their computers at their Austin, TX headquarters to determine when the "sun character selection screen" is displayed and when the "moon character selection screen" is displayed. During the summer the "moon character selection screen" could be used between 10 PM and 5 AM US Central Time, and during the winter the "moon character selection screen" could be used between 8 PM and 7 AM US Central Time, these are the hours most of the Continental US is dark. The "sun character selection screen" could be used at all other times.
Taking into account that not only did you want the background to change reflecting time of day but also the time of day of that particular time zone of that account.
Again, I seem to have to remind you that while the majority of players are on the North American continent, that there are players in Britain as well as Australia & New Zealand and a few in eastern Europe. Also you must take into account US service men and women stationed overseas who play.

Petty Officer
Oct 29, 2011
anecorbie on May 23, 2018 wrote:
How would you know if this idea is possible? Adding an extra character slot does not seem impossible to me. The hardest part about it is the community arguing against it.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
frostednutella on May 24, 2018 wrote:
How would you know if this idea is possible? Adding an extra character slot does not seem impossible to me. The hardest part about it is the community arguing against it.
I think Anecorbie was saying the "moon character selection screen" for nighttime was impossible (which I believe isn't true, and hopefully I am right) and not the 7th character slot idea. I could be wrong though.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
frostednutella on May 24, 2018 wrote:
That's a legitimate question: I wasn't sure that I was going to reply as we seem to be wandering away from the opening post.
I have an Associate Degree in Computer Animation as well as several coding classes ( just enough to show me that coding wasn't for me. )

Petty Officer
Oct 29, 2011
I would just like to say I am in support of the extra character slot. I would love to see that added. I was only discussing the process of adding things into the game because I am very sick of seeing people saying things like "that might be too hard to add." Leave it to KI to discuss and the reasons it would either fit or not fit into the game itself.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on May 25, 2018 wrote:
I think Anecorbie was saying the "moon character selection screen" for nighttime was impossible (which I believe isn't true, and hopefully I am right) and not the 7th character slot idea. I could be wrong though.
That's right, however, while a 7th character isn't impossible, I don't think we'll get that because, we only have 5 classes. So that extra character is unnecessary.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
anecorbie on May 25, 2018 wrote:
That's right, however, while a 7th character isn't impossible, I don't think we'll get that because, we only have 5 classes. So that extra character is unnecessary.
But think about Wizard101. I don't play it, but although an extra slot isn't necessary for Pirate101, there are seven Schools on Wizard101. If you wanted to master all Schools, you'd need to have two member accounts! How very... Creative of KingsIsle, I suppose, but in that case I bet most Wizards would be grateful, so they don't have to choose just six Schools.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
frostednutella on May 25, 2018 wrote:
I would just like to say I am in support of the extra character slot. I would love to see that added. I was only discussing the process of adding things into the game because I am very sick of seeing people saying things like "that might be too hard to add." Leave it to KI to discuss and the reasons it would either fit or not fit into the game itself.
If we can't disagree with a proposed idea by bringing forth a reason for disagreeing, then all discussion is useless.
And I'm very sick of players complaining about those who disagree, as long as we keep within the rules for posting, our view points are just as important as yours!