Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Buying a Crown pet versus building your own.

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Oct 31, 2018
Greetings,
Fairly new to the game and had not considered getting a pet until I read a build post about swashbucklers, I had no idea what they can bring to the game.

My question concerns the differences between a buying a pet with crowns versus building your own in terms of how good the pets are and if you buy one are the stats and abilities random? I understand the money versus time aspect, just not how the abilities are generated on a bought pet.

Thanks in advance for any and all information, hunt well.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Buying any pet, you will get the basic version. By MORPHING your pet with another that carries desirable talents and powers, you can create a much better version, or even create a rare Hybrid -- with the talents and powers that you decide your pirate needs to help in battle.

For a list of pet talents and powers, and to see which ones are carried by particular pets, visit the Pirate101 Central wiki:

http://www.pirate101central.com/wiki/Category:First_Generation_Pets

Other fansites have some good articles on how to achieve your ideal mix of pet abilities on the pet of your choice, whether you like spiders, or sharks, or birds, etc.

Ensign
Sep 04, 2008
Hello and Welcome,

Just to piggyback off what's been said already:

First Generation Pets received via rewards/drops/gold purchased/crowns purchased etc. all come with a set first generation talent pool, and gain a random talent/power via said talent pool after each level.

Morphed Pets are a combination of two pets. They can be a combination of any two pets and will gain a combination of their talent and power pools as well, but again still gain talents/powers randomly after each level.

To answer your question more directly: Crown pets usually come with one or two very rare and helpful talents/powers, which only gives them a slight advantage over pets obtained via rewards/drops/gold/ etc. (Although some very rare drop pets can come with powerful talents/powers). Its the combination of a variety of pets via Morphing that results in the strongest and most useful pets. Unfortunately, getting a pet with all the talents you want can take a while, as the talents/powers each new morphed pet gets is randomly selected from the parents talent pools.

Hope this helped a bit!

Ensign
Oct 31, 2018
Thank you both for the comments, looks as though I will be keeping my pennies and building my pets.