Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Building Lesser Companions: Fang, Stinger, Beast!

AuthorMessage
Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
So, I'm going to do the Witchdoctor Beast Companions at last. (Anecorbie, Willowydream, I know you two have been quietly wanting this.) They are rather low on the used list, so this is going to be an interesting topic. (PLEASE NOTE: All of these companions are given to Witchdoctors only unless otherwise specified.)

The Batacuda is given during "A Deadly Catch".

Scorpius is given during "Save those Jolly Ranchers!"

The Sky Snake is earned during "Bitter Venom".

The Crokagator is rewarded during "Crok Solid".

El Tiburon is bought from the Crown Shop for 2,995 Crowns after completing the quest "Jumping the Shark"

Nikeeta is bought from the Crown Shop for 1,995 Crowns after earning the Badge "Ornithologist"

Madclaw is unlocked in the Crown Shop for 1,995 Crowns after earning the Badge "Bat Lasher"

NOTES:

Together, the flying companions here are just shy of two-thirds of the companions with Fly.

Nikeeta, Madclaw, and Crown Shop Scorpius are currently the cheapest Companions available from the Crown Shop, at 1,995 Crowns.

None of these companions currently promote.

As I said earlier, these companions are going to create quite an interesting topic, so please share all your ideas to make them great fighters! Because realy... Beasts Rule!

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Animal companions are actually quite tough, and if you send them out in front of the rest of the team, they can hold the enemy off while you buff your ranged units.Add to their armor and dodge and you have your cannon fodder.

Flying companions are great when you're fighting on ship decks because they aren't hampered by the two skinny boarding ramps.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
I'll share some of my ideas.

The Batacuda has innate talents of Vengeance Strike and Turn the Tide, so I think it's best as a (flying!) melee counter. my idea is to give it Vengeance Strike 3 and Blade Storm for Epic Talents, and Rough 4, Tough 4, and whatever the highest you can get Accuracy and Armor is for Talents. Use an Accuracy boost and you have a (flying!) melee counter. Another method could be to use Cheap Shot 2 and Vengeance Strike 2, and a similar Talent pool, put it at a corner of the planks on a ship, and force melee enemies to try getting past it.

The Sky Snake would have a similar build to the Batacuda, except with Blade Storm, First Strike 2 (or 3 if you want to go PvP, then drop Blade Storm), and Second Chance, as well as a higher priority on Dodge and Health. The Cheap Shot strategy also works here, but is not as advisable due to low health.

Scorpius is a more variable one. It already comes with the innate Cheap Shot, but it can only learn it up to rank 2, it has low Health, and it doesn't fly. It does, however, have a high Weapon Power, Dodge, 80 Agility and can learn either Riposte 3 or Vengeance Strike 2. Personally, if I could use him, I'd go down the Riposte path.

The Crokagator is unusual for a Buccaneer because it comes with an innate rank of Riposte, can learn First Strike, and has relatively decent (that is, 120) dodge. However, both Riposte and First Strike can only be learned up to rank 2, but with the health of a Buccaneer, that a good path to choose. For Talents, I'd give it the usual Rough and Tough 4, plus lots of Dodge and Accuracy.

El Tiburon is perhaps the most variable of them all, and is the only one out of all of them here that can learn Relentless (all the way up to 3!) , but it can also learn Vengeance Strike 3, Blade Storm 3, Cheap Shot 2, and has an innate rank of Flanking. One could give it Relentless 2 and Blade Storm, or Vengeance Strike 3. Any way works!

Unlike the others, Nikeeta has 4 Epic Talents, instead of just 3. That's one extra Epic Talent! Plus it come with Second Chance! And it can fly! I would try it with Vengeance Strike 2 and Riposte 2 (It's one of, or perhaps the only one capable of pulling this off normally), or maybe drop one or the other to give it Blade Storm.

Madclaw comes with Repel Boarders, and unfortunately does not have a fourth Epic Talent. He can do Vengeance Strike 3, or Riposte 2 with Second Chance, but not both at the same time. I'd try the first option.

Whew! That was a lot to say. Fortunately I like doing this.