Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

The word "nerf"

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Apr 06, 2016
Can we be able to say nerf... every time I try to say nerf its censored so I say "nerved" which is annoying. If this term has a bad meaning I don't know about then forget this post.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DariusMusk on Jan 2, 2018 wrote:
Can we be able to say nerf... every time I try to say nerf its censored so I say "nerved" which is annoying. If this term has a bad meaning I don't know about then forget this post.
As far as I'm aware, this word only refers to the "Nerf" brand of toys. When I want to say that a action/power or talent has been nerfed, I use the word "adjusted", it passes just fine through Text Chat.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Yes, the Nerf toys were long known for their soft foam. Rather than playing hardball with a regular baseball, you could play with a soft foam Nerf ball, as just one example. In gaming, it now means, made easier or less hard. Maybe the toy company considers it a threat to their brand, allowing other companies to turn it into a generic word. Maybe that's why it's not in the regular list. There are many normal and appropriate words that are not in the regular approved words list in game. Some of them might be absent because whatever dictionary they used to create allowed words wasn't very big, and KI may not have realized how chatty people in the games would be. They have added some words to the list, over time, as when gardening words or fishing ones were needed in Wizard to talk about normal game activities, and removed others that were problematic, mostly due to misuse.