Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Say What?- Improvements to chat

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Calamity Finch on Jul 27, 2018 wrote:
It's real. It's both archaic for mechanic or machinist, and also has a more current definition, someone who thinks everything can be explained by the physical interaction of things, either mechanically or chemically. I think he likes the archaic meaning, with the steam punk mention.

I think dracone has a good point about putting more nautical terms in. Some of them might be more in the way of jargon these days, used by those who still sail, but we are pirates in flying sailing ships. There are words that are familiar to many from pirate films. Can we say, "Swab the deck"? I don't remember if we can, but I'd like to. Sounds more pirate than, "Get mopping!"
You can say "swab" but not "swabs", "swabbed" or "swabbing" You can even say "swabbie" but not "swabbies".

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I know I've already commented on having "Yer Welcome" next to "Thanks" in menu chat, but could we have another way to greet someone besides "Hail" in Battle Chat? ( How many kids under 13 know that hail means hello? ) How about "Ahoy, Mate!" in the Happy category of Battle Chat.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
Ooh! I was talking with a friend and I was trying to tell her I was a total amateur at something, but the word "amateur" wasn't allowed, and I tried to use other words around it, but it was complicated and confusing. XD

Definitely, "amateur" should be added.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Helpful Aurora Par... on Aug 23, 2018 wrote:
Ooh! I was talking with a friend and I was trying to tell her I was a total amateur at something, but the word "amateur" wasn't allowed, and I tried to use other words around it, but it was complicated and confusing. XD

Definitely, "amateur" should be added.
Amateur could be added, until then, can you use the word "novice"? Or beginner or newbie? Or even say "I'm not an expert?"

I had a conversation with a friend and she was trying to tell me she had got a sunburn when she went to the beach, of course "beach" isn't allowed in Text chat, so I suggested "sea shore". A larger vocabulary can help in these situations.
NOT saying that KI could add certain words to the Text chat dictionary, that's a good idea, but until it gets implemented trying substituting a different word.
Hmmm, that must be why a certain poster is always talking about his thesaurus....

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
anecorbie on Aug 24, 2018 wrote:
Amateur could be added, until then, can you use the word "novice"? Or beginner or newbie? Or even say "I'm not an expert?"

I had a conversation with a friend and she was trying to tell me she had got a sunburn when she went to the beach, of course "beach" isn't allowed in Text chat, so I suggested "sea shore". A larger vocabulary can help in these situations.
NOT saying that KI could add certain words to the Text chat dictionary, that's a good idea, but until it gets implemented trying substituting a different word.
Hmmm, that must be why a certain poster is always talking about his thesaurus....
Yeah, I had to tell her "beginner", but I thought the word "amateur" fit better.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Helpful Aurora Par... on Aug 24, 2018 wrote:
Yeah, I had to tell her "beginner", but I thought the word "amateur" fit better.
Opposites are also useful, "not professional" or "not a pro" if that goes through.

From sailing, green horn might be good to use, as you would beginner or noob ( and I do not mean that as an insult, just "new player"; I think people who use it as an insult are just silly. Try hearing what they say as "You're a new player, you're a new player. Silly right?).

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Calamity Finch on Sep 7, 2018 wrote:
Opposites are also useful, "not professional" or "not a pro" if that goes through.

From sailing, green horn might be good to use, as you would beginner or noob ( and I do not mean that as an insult, just "new player"; I think people who use it as an insult are just silly. Try hearing what they say as "You're a new player, you're a new player. Silly right?).
I don't think "horn" is allowed in the game; "greenhorn" as one word, maybe? I still believe that "noob" used as an insult isn't silly as it's a way of dismissing a player; as in: "you're just a noob".

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
anecorbie on Sep 11, 2018 wrote:
I don't think "horn" is allowed in the game; "greenhorn" as one word, maybe? I still believe that "noob" used as an insult isn't silly as it's a way of dismissing a player; as in: "you're just a noob".
It is an insult that backfires on the one using it I'd say.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
anecorbie on Sep 11, 2018 wrote:
I've seen that insult often used on players who are high level, too. That is part of why I think it is silly. It is nearly meaningless, except for the I want to be annoying and insulting part. I agree that part is not silly, usually pretty sad. As for the meaning, they might as well be saying, "You are a bean!" That would at least be more creative.

I'd like "holystone" added. It's a nautical term. Old time sailors spent a lot of time scrubbing decks with that kind of sandstone. Any other nautical terms you want added?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Calamity Finch on Oct 17, 2018 wrote:
I've seen that insult often used on players who are high level, too. That is part of why I think it is silly. It is nearly meaningless, except for the I want to be annoying and insulting part. I agree that part is not silly, usually pretty sad. As for the meaning, they might as well be saying, "You are a bean!" That would at least be more creative.

I'd like "holystone" added. It's a nautical term. Old time sailors spent a lot of time scrubbing decks with that kind of sandstone. Any other nautical terms you want added?
It would be good to have "holystone" added; you see it being used in a scene from "Master and Commander". It was called that because you were kneeling while using it. Maybe as a piece of gear - totem? or ring?