Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Chance for a Match?

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I would like to begin competing ( again ), in Ranked PVP. But before I plunk down crowns for a match - how likely is it that I'll get one in a reasonable amount of time? ( say less than half an hour? )

Community Leader
The best chance for a match is to do pvp through a fansite like central. Ranked is a degenerate garbage heap of scratch and warp fueled nonsense right now. You might get a match in a reasonable time frame during peak hours, but it's unlikely to be a fair one

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Matthew525011 on May 20, 2019 wrote:
The best chance for a match is to do pvp through a fansite like central. Ranked is a degenerate garbage heap of scratch and warp fueled nonsense right now. You might get a match in a reasonable time frame during peak hours, but it's unlikely to be a fair one
Thx for the discouragement!

I keep hearing about Time Warp, just exactly what does it do?

Community Leader
Definitely not discouraging PvP in general; any sort of PvP with codified rules is in a fine spot right now. Definitely avoid ranked though imo. Here's the start of a series of articles I wrote about time warp and its impact on ranked PvP https://finalbastion.com/p101-pvp-guides/impact-time-warp-pirate101-pvp/

Basically, it's a 3-round highland charge that's available to all classes that triggers, on average, in a little over 1/2 of matches. This allows for a blisteringly fast attack that ranges from difficult to downright impossible to effectively counteract, depending on your class, their particular companion setup, etc. This, when coupled with Old Scratch, allows swashes (arguably the most problematic class w/ time warp) to threaten 100% buffed Assassin's Shrouds, backed up by Old Scratch's purge, from the earliest rounds of the duel. Since a 100% shroud does over 2000 damage in total, and purge can remove forts (and Old Scratch can run into purge range since he has 8 movement with warp), this combo is very difficult to consistently survive.

You also have the issue of a high movement range team coupled with warp (and adding fog for swashes). This sort of team essentially makes musket and witch borderline un-viable in ranked, as they only have 1 round at most to prepare for a rush, which isn't enough

Lieutenant
Jan 27, 2015
Ability and Card ImageDetailsSources

Type: Power
Rarity: Rare (+20 Pedigree)
Duration: 3 Rounds
Range: None
Action Type:
Target Type: Ally
Target Area:

Effect: Allies (ranged and melee) gain attack (+2 ranks to Burst Fire and Relentless) and movement speed (+100% movement speed increase)3 pets have Time Warp as a first generation pet abilityBirthday ChameleonMechanical OwlStardust Chameleon

Lieutenant
Jan 27, 2015
Matthew525011 on May 22, 2019 wrote:
Definitely not discouraging PvP in general; any sort of PvP with codified rules is in a fine spot right now. Definitely avoid ranked though imo. Here's the start of a series of articles I wrote about time warp and its impact on ranked PvP https://finalbastion.com/p101-pvp-guides/impact-time-warp-pirate101-pvp/

Basically, it's a 3-round highland charge that's available to all classes that triggers, on average, in a little over 1/2 of matches. This allows for a blisteringly fast attack that ranges from difficult to downright impossible to effectively counteract, depending on your class, their particular companion setup, etc. This, when coupled with Old Scratch, allows swashes (arguably the most problematic class w/ time warp) to threaten 100% buffed Assassin's Shrouds, backed up by Old Scratch's purge, from the earliest rounds of the duel. Since a 100% shroud does over 2000 damage in total, and purge can remove forts (and Old Scratch can run into purge range since he has 8 movement with warp), this combo is very difficult to consistently survive.

You also have the issue of a high movement range team coupled with warp (and adding fog for swashes). This sort of team essentially makes musket and witch borderline un-viable in ranked, as they only have 1 round at most to prepare for a rush, which isn't enough
THanks for letting me know exactly what it does! I found I actually have a pet that has the talent/ power

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
In Search of Yum on May 22, 2019 wrote:
Ability and Card ImageDetailsSources

Type: Power
Rarity: Rare (+20 Pedigree)
Duration: 3 Rounds
Range: None
Action Type:
Target Type: Ally
Target Area:

Effect: Allies (ranged and melee) gain attack (+2 ranks to Burst Fire and Relentless) and movement speed (+100% movement speed increase)3 pets have Time Warp as a first generation pet abilityBirthday ChameleonMechanical OwlStardust Chameleon

...Wait a moment. Pictures...

Bat Masterson, has the ban on images been removed? I heard you were planning something like that, but now it's happened?

And yes, that's EXACTLY what Time Warp does. They say it gives an unfair advantage in PvP, and I can see how.

Administrator
Lookit Light on May 24, 2019 wrote:

...Wait a moment. Pictures...

Bat Masterson, has the ban on images been removed? I heard you were planning something like that, but now it's happened?

And yes, that's EXACTLY what Time Warp does. They say it gives an unfair advantage in PvP, and I can see how.
Yes, we approve all images in advance, so images (specific to the topic of course and within reason) are allowed.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Bat Masterson on May 27, 2019 wrote:
Yes, we approve all images in advance, so images (specific to the topic of course and within reason) are allowed.
Good to know! I'll keep that in mind.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Bat Masterson on May 27, 2019 wrote:
As long as the images still have to adhere to the posts' relation and reason within P101, & even W101, yes? I'm talking about bug reports & such, to be sure.

Lieutenant
Jan 27, 2015
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Matthew525011 on May 22, 2019 wrote:

Can Time Warp be Purged?

Community Leader
anecorbie on May 28, 2019 wrote:
Can Time Warp be Purged?
Technically, yes. But by the time they reach you/get within purge range with time warp up, they've already gotten all the value they need from it. Purging would only help your opponent most of the time, as that's what they want to be doing to you (poisoning + purging or purging + attacking with multiple units)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Matthew525011 on May 30, 2019 wrote:
Technically, yes. But by the time they reach you/get within purge range with time warp up, they've already gotten all the value they need from it. Purging would only help your opponent most of the time, as that's what they want to be doing to you (poisoning + purging or purging + attacking with multiple units)
Believe me, I'm not trying to belittle a strategy that you view as endemic, but it seems the same carping about Black Fog and the demand to ban, nerf or have a "concrete" counter to it.
First this a pet power, in which case it depends on the pet showing up and using it's power in the early rounds of the match. This isn't guaranteed, even if the pet has the "loyal" talent.
Can't a player:
Separate, thus reducing the choice of target? Use Black Fog? ( for buckler only ) Use the old barricade defense?
And hope you go first?
Please, I'm not saying you're exaggerating, and this comment is coming from someone who hasn't done PVP in over a year, but it just seems stupid that a single talent is messing up the best competitors in PVP.