Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Firstmate's Boon Bug?

AuthorMessage
Community Leader
Hey OEJ,
In a pvp match today versus a privy, I encountered an interesting interaction between hidden and firstmate's boon. When a hidden privateer pirate casts firstmate's boon on one of their units, that unit receives 2x the weapon power buff than normal and the pirate receives 2x the weapon power reduce than normal. I talked to a few of my other pvp active friends, and they said that they remembered a KI official (Ratbeard iirc) said a few years ago that this interaction was unintentional and that KI fixed or planned to fix it soon. Is KI's stance on this interaction still that it is not supposed to be in game, or is this interaction an intended feature? (Personally I believe that it shouldn't be a thing, since a forted and/or absorbed Nausica, Goro, or other unit with good movement, can all but one round at least one unit, probably 2, with decent crit chains. This is especially possible if the victim does not run purge)

Thanks for all you do

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Matthew525011 on Jun 5, 2018 wrote:
Hey OEJ,
In a pvp match today versus a privy, I encountered an interesting interaction between hidden and firstmate's boon. When a hidden privateer pirate casts firstmate's boon on one of their units, that unit receives 2x the weapon power buff than normal and the pirate receives 2x the weapon power reduce than normal. I talked to a few of my other pvp active friends, and they said that they remembered a KI official (Ratbeard iirc) said a few years ago that this interaction was unintentional and that KI fixed or planned to fix it soon. Is KI's stance on this interaction still that it is not supposed to be in game, or is this interaction an intended feature? (Personally I believe that it shouldn't be a thing, since a forted and/or absorbed Nausica, Goro, or other unit with good movement, can all but one round at least one unit, probably 2, with decent crit chains. This is especially possible if the victim does not run purge)

Thanks for all you do
Are you saying that this is a bug because while the privateer is Hidden, the unit the privy buffs is not and shouldn't receive the x2 damage that's usually for the hidden player? Therefore the Privy in Hide also should not experience a x2 reduction to damage while using FMB from a Hide?
Wow, that sounds really complicated.

Community Leader
anecorbie on Jun 5, 2018 wrote:
Are you saying that this is a bug because while the privateer is Hidden, the unit the privy buffs is not and shouldn't receive the x2 damage that's usually for the hidden player? Therefore the Privy in Hide also should not experience a x2 reduction to damage while using FMB from a Hide?
Wow, that sounds really complicated.
Essentially, yes. From what I've been told, this interaction was supposedly removed (or was supposed to be) in a previous patch, but it hasn't. My problem with it is that it is essentially transferring the "hidden" characteristic to the booned unit (without removing the hide of the pirate), but instead of getting it for 1 hit, the booned unit gets it for 3 rounds of attacks AND chains. It does absolutely ridiculous damage in pvp (a Nausica's base super with no agility buff does 1900+ damage, compared to a normal booned Nausica super doing 1300) and it's nearly uncounterable without purge. I don't think hiding should affect fmb at all since using it while hidden can artificially extend the damage buff of the hidden.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Hey OEJ,

Thanks for all you do
I believe Privateer's should be able to double the damage with firstmate's boon. If you know it is coming you should be able to counter it.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Essentially, yes. From what I've been told, this interaction was supposedly removed (or was supposed to be) in a previous patch, but it hasn't. My problem with it is that it is essentially transferring the "hidden" characteristic to the booned unit (without removing the hide of the pirate), but instead of getting it for 1 hit, the booned unit gets it for 3 rounds of attacks AND chains. It does absolutely ridiculous damage in pvp (a Nausica's base super with no agility buff does 1900+ damage, compared to a normal booned Nausica super doing 1300) and it's nearly uncounterable without purge. I don't think hiding should affect fmb at all since using it while hidden can artificially extend the damage buff of the hidden.
While I agree it might should remove the hide, I think it should have the hide's weapon power for 3 turns. If you are a Swashbuckler just do Black Fog, if you are a Buccaneer just reduce damage, if you are are a Witchdoctor just Shadow Step away, if you are a Musketeer just place traps around them. Problem solved.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on Jun 6, 2018 wrote:
While I agree it might should remove the hide, I think it should have the hide's weapon power for 3 turns. If you are a Swashbuckler just do Black Fog, if you are a Buccaneer just reduce damage, if you are are a Witchdoctor just Shadow Step away, if you are a Musketeer just place traps around them. Problem solved.
Except that those boosted up companions will be attacking that round, so unless you've done those actions in the previous round; Nausica ( with centaur's charge ) or Goro ( with a vicious charge ) will be in your face and take out you or one companion.
Also, that's not how any Hide is supposed to work, hide only confers that x2 damage to the one that's hidden, not to a boosted companion.
Just because there's a work-around doesn't mean this bug shouldn't be fixed.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
anecorbie on Jun 6, 2018 wrote:
Except that those boosted up companions will be attacking that round, so unless you've done those actions in the previous round; Nausica ( with centaur's charge ) or Goro ( with a vicious charge ) will be in your face and take out you or one companion.
Also, that's not how any Hide is supposed to work, hide only confers that x2 damage to the one that's hidden, not to a boosted companion.
Just because there's a work-around doesn't mean this bug shouldn't be fixed.
Under that logic shouldn't black fog only hide a Swashbuckler's companions only increasing the weapon power of the Swashbuckler themselves? If they cut back Firstmate's Boon I want Black Fog to be given the same treatment, it is only fair.

Community Leader
RRRRZZZZ419 on Jun 7, 2018 wrote:
Under that logic shouldn't black fog only hide a Swashbuckler's companions only increasing the weapon power of the Swashbuckler themselves? If they cut back Firstmate's Boon I want Black Fog to be given the same treatment, it is only fair.
No. There is absolutely no connection between a hidden privateer being able to give a unit a 400-500 weapon power buff (higher than what black fog would give that same unit, mind you) for 3 rounds of continuous chaining and a buckler being able to give each of their companions 1 hit's worth of a 300 weapon power increase. If you can't see that maybe, just maybe, being able to do 900 damage or more on every single hit for 3 rounds is just a tad overpowered, there's a problem. Sure, you can or hide yourself/units, but pvp is all about the resource war. The privateer is spending 2-3 resources (boon, a fort/absorb on the unit, and a 3 round hide) to take out 1 unit on the initial charge, as well as either forcing an extreme amount of resource waste from their opponent (forcing them to use hides, heals, forts, traps, purge, etc. very early in the match, which gives them a possibly insurmountable advantage later on) or being able to kill the remainder of their opponent's units. And there's no running away from a Nausica, the ideal and most likely target of this boon. Barricading isn't an option either, as you'll put yourself in a situation to be bomb spammed and than Blast of Discorded. Outside of the hidden interaction, I'm willing to keep Boon as it is. I think it's a little "pushed" in terms of power, but it's somewhat acceptable. Once we get into the hidden interaction though, especially with a high haste unit with a 2x move like Nausica, any semblance of balance goes out the window. Privy is supposed to be a slow, grindy class. They're not designed to have the ridiculous burst damage that this interaction affords them.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
You miss the fact that Black Fog hides everyone close to the SB using it. THEY are hidden and get that damage bonus, the privy's boosted companion is not hidden and shouldn't get the x2 bonus from a hide.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Matthew isn't calling for a nerf to FMB, but asking to fix a bug that's affecting FMB while the Privy is hidden.

Ensign
Nov 07, 2010
This isn't really a bug. It changes the privateer's weapon power and so it also will change boon.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Matthew525011 on Jun 7, 2018 wrote:
No. There is absolutely no connection between a hidden privateer being able to give a unit a 400-500 weapon power buff (higher than what black fog would give that same unit, mind you) for 3 rounds of continuous chaining and a buckler being able to give each of their companions 1 hit's worth of a 300 weapon power increase. If you can't see that maybe, just maybe, being able to do 900 damage or more on every single hit for 3 rounds is just a tad overpowered, there's a problem. Sure, you can or hide yourself/units, but pvp is all about the resource war. The privateer is spending 2-3 resources (boon, a fort/absorb on the unit, and a 3 round hide) to take out 1 unit on the initial charge, as well as either forcing an extreme amount of resource waste from their opponent (forcing them to use hides, heals, forts, traps, purge, etc. very early in the match, which gives them a possibly insurmountable advantage later on) or being able to kill the remainder of their opponent's units. And there's no running away from a Nausica, the ideal and most likely target of this boon. Barricading isn't an option either, as you'll put yourself in a situation to be bomb spammed and than Blast of Discorded. Outside of the hidden interaction, I'm willing to keep Boon as it is. I think it's a little "pushed" in terms of power, but it's somewhat acceptable. Once we get into the hidden interaction though, especially with a high haste unit with a 2x move like Nausica, any semblance of balance goes out the window. Privy is supposed to be a slow, grindy class. They're not designed to have the ridiculous burst damage that this interaction affords them.
Well they at least need to allow Firstmate's Boon to have the extra damage 1 turn. Privateer still has its disadvantages even with Firstmate's Boon the way it is now, for example Privateer's do not get any guaranteed critical hits without an item that grants one.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Well they at least need to allow Firstmate's Boon to have the extra damage 1 turn. Privateer still has its disadvantages even with Firstmate's Boon the way it is now, for example Privateer's do not get any guaranteed critical hits without an item that grants one.
I don't see how you can state that Privateers are at a disadvantage in PVP, when they are one of the best classes currently.
No class in the game gets a "guaranteed" critical.

This is an obvious bug interacting with a hide, it needs to be corrected.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
anecorbie on Jun 8, 2018 wrote:
I don't see how you can state that Privateers are at a disadvantage in PVP, when they are one of the best classes currently.
No class in the game gets a "guaranteed" critical.

This is an obvious bug interacting with a hide, it needs to be corrected.
I didn't say "Privateer's are at a disadvantage" I stated "Privateer has its disadvantages". I believe all classes have pros and cons to them.

Community Leader
RRRRZZZZ419 on Jun 9, 2018 wrote:
I didn't say "Privateer's are at a disadvantage" I stated "Privateer has its disadvantages". I believe all classes have pros and cons to them.
True, and right now, privateer has the fewest disadvantages of any class right now except for arguably buck. Fixing this interaction isn't going to change that, mostly since only a small handful of people actually frequently use hidden boons.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Matthew525011 on Jun 9, 2018 wrote:
True, and right now, privateer has the fewest disadvantages of any class right now except for arguably buck. Fixing this interaction isn't going to change that, mostly since only a small handful of people actually frequently use hidden boons.
I personally use hidden boons on my Privateer but my opponent has always countered and if they haven't the hidden boon typically only takes out no more than 1 enemy.