Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Please add a new Tutorial Tip

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Please let's add a reminder about training up companions. I've been meeting pirates in Team Up who are Level 50, but who tell me they have companions still at LEVEL 7?!! Boochbeard reminds us when we don't have enough to field a full crew, so why can't he remind those pirates who have companions they have ignored Sailing for them to get Nautical experience that they would do a lot better if that companion was trained up some past the level they were acquired. Maybe if a pirate logs in and the game sees a companion is more than ten levels below the pirate's level, Boochbeard could say something like

"Hey, Pirate, your companions will do a lot better for you if you train them up, even if you don't use them in battle."

Seriously - there has to be a way to teach new pirates that just because a companion doesn't promote is no reason to leave them to languish so far behind their fellows. Maybe I'm swimming against the tide here advocating randomizing crews, but it boggles my mind that players ignore these companions totally.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Good idea. Such pirates might also not realize that while keeping 4 or 5 crewmen at their current level, through the entire game, takes a whole lot of tomes, and needs a lot of gold to buy tomes, if they are level 50 and give just one tome to a level 7 crewman, that crewman will have a huge level up. Also, they can tell the crew that match their level to collect tomes, before they log out for the day. Even if they don't want to give a single tome to their low crew, they can tell them to brawl their way to level ups, at which point, like you said, they will bring in more nautical when sailing, better pet gear and snacks by wrangling, or more gold, or better clothes and weapons, when on the other crew tasks. It wasn't hard to get an entire crew maxed this way, a bit slow to get that last bit to max, but not expensive either.
Some people also choose to skip side quests. There is a huge amount of nautical XP from doing side quests.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Unfortunately, this doesn't help them if they have their Tutorials turned off.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
anecorbie on Jan 18, 2018 wrote:
Unfortunately, this doesn't help them if they have their Tutorials turned off.
Not if it was considered a Critical Tip.