Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What if... ALL companions had abilities?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Aug 09, 2013
Hello pirates - here's an idea. What if companions and enemies has abilities? I'm not talking about epics like burst fire, vengeance strike, etc. I'm talking about actual abilities that companions and enemies have that can turn the tide of a match. Now before I explain what I mean (if it doesn't sound simple enough already), I want to explain why I support this idea. One of the most exciting things in Pirate101 is getting a companion. I always look forwards to finishing quests that grant me a new crew member. The unfortunate truth is though, that as we progress farther into the story, we leave these companions near the back of our companion page, completing tasks and such - because honestly, the sad truth is that those companions really don't cut out well in battle anymore. Of course, some non-story companions are still quite viable (Ridolfo comes to mind), but typically it's because they have a lot of promotions/a good power supporting them. Let's admit - the story companions are quite strong. I see a lot of people using companions like Bonnie, Contessa, El Toro, etc., because they've got some good powers and some nice promotions keeping them in flux. Other companions like Nurse Quinn, the Monquistan trio, the Bisons, etc. are all left in the dust, pretty much destined to complete tasks and whatnot. I think it's sad that they've got no real fighting chance late game, since some of them are really cool. But that brings us to this idea -and I think possibly granting abilities will be a fun feature, but if also done right, can help these companions rise to usage.

As an example, let's say Bat Masterson had some sort of "vampire" ability, where every time he criticals, he heals for half the damage dealt. Or Tyson could have an "Iron Fist" ability, where he has a chance of dazing his enemy every time he hits. Or the Bison Shaman could have a "Spell Catcher" ability, where any companions/allies adjacent to him can't get hit with spells (as long as they're next to him). Over all, those are just examples of what I mean by abilities. I think that these abilities could give a companion a certain niche in battle - like Tyson thanks to his ability, could be ideal for offensive play -while the Bison Shaman could play somewhat of a support role in battle, because of his ability. Of course I think enemies should have abilities as well, to keep things even and add more flare to the battle. As such, for every battle you go into, you can decide which companions would work best - and maybe find some good combinations of your companions that seem to work well with each other. Some companions could have the same ability as others, while certain companions (perhaps a few story companions) could have their own unique abilities, possibly based off of their talents. Overall, I have more to say about the potential and issues of this idea, but I'm afraid I cannot fit it all into one post. As such, I would like to hear some possible feedback.(More information soon) Thanks!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Scurvy Anthony Wal... on Jul 10, 2018 wrote:
Hello pirates - here's an idea. What if companions and enemies has abilities? I'm not talking about epics like burst fire, vengeance strike, etc. I'm talking about actual abilities that companions and enemies have that can turn the tide of a match. Now before I explain what I mean (if it doesn't sound simple enough already), I want to explain why I support this idea. One of the most exciting things in Pirate101 is getting a companion. I always look forwards to finishing quests that grant me a new crew member. The unfortunate truth is though, that as we progress farther into the story, we leave these companions near the back of our companion page, completing tasks and such - because honestly, the sad truth is that those companions really don't cut out well in battle anymore. Of course, some non-story companions are still quite viable (Ridolfo comes to mind), but typically it's because they have a lot of promotions/a good power supporting them. Let's admit - the story companions are quite strong. I see a lot of people using companions like Bonnie, Contessa, El Toro, etc., because they've got some good powers and some nice promotions keeping them in flux. Other companions like Nurse Quinn, the Monquistan trio, the Bisons, etc. are all left in the dust, pretty much destined to complete tasks and whatnot. I think it's sad that they've got no real fighting chance late game, since some of them are really cool. But that brings us to this idea -and I think possibly granting abilities will be a fun feature, but if also done right, can help these companions rise to usage.

As an example, let's say Bat Masterson had some sort of "vampire" ability, where every time he criticals, he heals for half the damage dealt. Or Tyson could have an "Iron Fist" ability, where he has a chance of dazing his enemy every time he hits. Or the Bison Shaman could have a "Spell Catcher" ability, where any companions/allies adjacent to him can't get hit with spells (as long as they're next to him). Over all, those are just examples of what I mean by abilities. I think that these abilities could give a companion a certain niche in battle - like Tyson thanks to his ability, could be ideal for offensive play -while the Bison Shaman could play somewhat of a support role in battle, because of his ability. Of course I think enemies should have abilities as well, to keep things even and add more flare to the battle. As such, for every battle you go into, you can decide which companions would work best - and maybe find some good combinations of your companions that seem to work well with each other. Some companions could have the same ability as others, while certain companions (perhaps a few story companions) could have their own unique abilities, possibly based off of their talents. Overall, I have more to say about the potential and issues of this idea, but I'm afraid I cannot fit it all into one post. As such, I would like to hear some possible feedback.(More information soon) Thanks!
The companions that you say are "left in the dust", doing endless tasks are there because they haven't yet received a promotion. BTW, I use my Monquistador veteran often. & The Monquisitor on my Privy as well, both are very good companions; and WHY do I use them? They have had at least one promotion.
As to those companions that aren't good at fighting, has anyone considered that they're not fighters? I use Nurse Quinn as a support companion, she's kept in the back, but she has talents ( like Repel & Cheap Shot ). I use her for her healing - if in a future promotion she got an actual Witch attack/group heal, this would make her more viable.
I don't see that these ( admitablly ) lack luster companions need such super Talents, ( even though you're calling them Abilities. ) This would just unbalance everything and make players wonder why their mains are being ignored.
If you want to use these "useless" companions, do so. I'm sure you'll be amazed how useful they actually are; even if they aren't fighters, use them as support. The Bison Shaman, for instance has a heal and can be trained in Witchhunter, and has talents like Vengeance Strike.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
While your idea is very cool, Companions are different by design. There are already claims that the game is too easy once certain gear is farmed for and obtained, but if difficult increases in the next world, hopefully your idea can be used for promotions?

If there isn't a chance that we could actually lose a battle, where is the excitement? The thrill of victory?

Many of us use whoever shows up for battle on the Random setting. Personally, I don't even use the selection screen for companions when I have the option. I have been playing so long, I know how to use Nurse Quinn, Monquistans, Bisons -- and the Weasel Gambler -- to win.

Lieutenant
Aug 09, 2013
anecorbie on Jul 11, 2018 wrote:
The companions that you say are "left in the dust", doing endless tasks are there because they haven't yet received a promotion. BTW, I use my Monquistador veteran often. & The Monquisitor on my Privy as well, both are very good companions; and WHY do I use them? They have had at least one promotion.
As to those companions that aren't good at fighting, has anyone considered that they're not fighters? I use Nurse Quinn as a support companion, she's kept in the back, but she has talents ( like Repel & Cheap Shot ). I use her for her healing - if in a future promotion she got an actual Witch attack/group heal, this would make her more viable.
I don't see that these ( admitablly ) lack luster companions need such super Talents, ( even though you're calling them Abilities. ) This would just unbalance everything and make players wonder why their mains are being ignored.
If you want to use these "useless" companions, do so. I'm sure you'll be amazed how useful they actually are; even if they aren't fighters, use them as support. The Bison Shaman, for instance has a heal and can be trained in Witchhunter, and has talents like Vengeance Strike.
Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated. I still want to go over more information pertaining to this idea that I haven't already, but I'll address a few things mentioned

Yes, a huge factor in a companion's viability is typically weather they get promotions or not. The monquistan companions, although really aren't that bad, aren't necessarily a powerhouse. I'm not saying buff these characters into oblivion, but if you were to go against Kane or some other big boss, you'd probably lean towards using someone much stronger

Also, I didn't say that all companions should be fighters -it would be weird seeing Nurse Quinn get deep into the fray. As stated in my post, certain companions could have a certain role, such as a support, or a tank, or just an attacker; based off the ability or powers given to them. If this idea were to be rejected in favor of giving companions even more promotions, I'm all in for that as well. The main goal with this idea, for me, is to bring the usefulness of side companions to be on par with the story companions. Contessa has Black Fog, Back Stab and Gallant Defense, and we haven't even promoted her yet. Sure, she's a late game companion, so she's gotta have powers to suit the difficulty, right? Bison Shaman and Nurse Quinn certainly are support characters, but I feel like their talents could be elevated some way, to meet with the rise in difficulty. I just don't see why other companions can't have cool powers like that later on in the game, like giving support companions Revive, Reinforce, or something cool like that. I guess, why not give them promotions if "super talents" are too much? Certainly, having more epics and possibly more powers would raise their usefulness too; and really, that's what I'm all for.

But still, I think this idea would add a bit more strategy to combat, and add more flare to it. That's my preference - I mean, the idea sounds fun to me! But thanks for your insight. You gave me more to think about, and thats good.

Lieutenant
Aug 09, 2013
Willowydream on Jul 11, 2018 wrote:
While your idea is very cool, Companions are different by design. There are already claims that the game is too easy once certain gear is farmed for and obtained, but if difficult increases in the next world, hopefully your idea can be used for promotions?

If there isn't a chance that we could actually lose a battle, where is the excitement? The thrill of victory?

Many of us use whoever shows up for battle on the Random setting. Personally, I don't even use the selection screen for companions when I have the option. I have been playing so long, I know how to use Nurse Quinn, Monquistans, Bisons -- and the Weasel Gambler -- to win.

Hey, I agree, maybe it can be a feature introduced in later worlds - maybe it doesn't have to replace the entire combat system all throughout. But I see that the comments seem to think that this will ultimately make battles unlosable and far too easy to win. I did state that enemies should be given abilities as well, to keep them on par with the change - just so that companions with these abilities aren't too powerful. I do admit that I didn't place emphasis on the enemies part, and I'm sorry for that. To meet with the improvements, enemies should have abilities as well.

It's cool that you can use Nurse Quinn, the Bison, the Monquistans -- and the Weasel Gambler (even though he really doesn't have any interesting powers or promotions) -- but don't you think they could be a bit improved to meet with the increase in difficulty? Trust me, I think with some cool abilities, combat will still retain it's flare and it's thrill of victory.

Also, nothing will change with combat selection. I think placing random once in a while is kinda fun too - after all, having a random selection could have some cool ability combinations. For those who enjoy selecting their companions, they can find cool set ups to suit certain battles. Or, if you're feeling adventurous, you can still do random. Either way, every companion has an equally as good performance in battle, even if some are support, and others are attackers - each one of them has their niche, if that makes sense.

One problem that I do find, however (that I did want to mention at one point, but may as well now) is that - admitingly - giving every companion and enemy an ability, will take a lot of time to do. I just want to point out that abilities don't need to be unique to every companion and enemy, because some could share abilities. There also doesn't call for any crazy new animations, or anything like that. I believe abilities could be attributed using the resources already provided in the game. Hopefully that makes sense!