Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Queue matching issue

AuthorMessage
Community Leader
Normally, I'd consider pirate101's ranked PvP matching system to be pretty good, albeit generally a little conservative with who it allows to be matched (normally 2 max levels with a significant rank difference can't be matched without waiting excessive amounts of time, making it hard to get matches at high hero/paragon, but that's a different problem). Today, the matchmaking system did something I thought impossible: It matched my max level buckler (210 rank) with a level 12 witchdoctor (0 rank). Ratbeard, is it possible to do something to the algorithm to guarantee that this severe of mismatches do not occur (Such as implementing a maximum level differential between any 2 matched players)? I wouldn't want new players to experience this severe of mismatches and be discouraged from doing pvp. I agree that some level difference should be allowed, especially if the lower level player is higher ranked, but a 58 level difference is something that can't be accepted.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Matthew525011 on Oct 14, 2017 wrote:
Normally, I'd consider pirate101's ranked PvP matching system to be pretty good, albeit generally a little conservative with who it allows to be matched (normally 2 max levels with a significant rank difference can't be matched without waiting excessive amounts of time, making it hard to get matches at high hero/paragon, but that's a different problem). Today, the matchmaking system did something I thought impossible: It matched my max level buckler (210 rank) with a level 12 witchdoctor (0 rank). Ratbeard, is it possible to do something to the algorithm to guarantee that this severe of mismatches do not occur (Such as implementing a maximum level differential between any 2 matched players)? I wouldn't want new players to experience this severe of mismatches and be discouraged from doing pvp. I agree that some level difference should be allowed, especially if the lower level player is higher ranked, but a 58 level difference is something that can't be accepted.
Definitely agree, that's a rather horrible thing to happen. In W101, you can select a level range for matches. At least in Practice PVP you can.

Community Leader
anecorbie on Oct 15, 2017 wrote:
Definitely agree, that's a rather horrible thing to happen. In W101, you can select a level range for matches. At least in Practice PVP you can.
It's awful, agreed. In wizard's ranked pvp you cannot pick level ranges, however, the algorithm is functional enough that the only way that much level disparity can occur is when the low level has thousands more rank than the higher level. This means that A. The low level is boosted or B. The low level is significantly more skilled and better geared than the high level, making achieving a win possible. Now in pirate, our offensive stats are primarily based on level. Weapons, and thus weapon power, are based on level. Accuracy, Dodge, Primary Stats (S, A, W), and Spell Power are also based almost entirely on level. In wiz, a low level with good gear, tc's, and a good pet can easily achieve a similar damage output when compared to a poorly geared higher level. Now in pirate, take the best geared low level possible, and compared them to someone 30 levels higher. No matter what gear the low level wears, the higher level will have significantly better stats, significantly more powers, and significantly better companions (in terms of # of epics and stats), and thus a much better damage output. Now this difference between the two games is absolutely fine, and, in my opinion, helps make pirate a better balanced game in the long run (since we aren't as focused on stats on our gear). However, when creating a matchmaking algorithm for Pirate's pvp, it must be taken into consideration. There is no reason why a hard cap of 15-20 levels' difference should not be enacted for ranked pvp matchmaking.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP