Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Pirate 101 Membership Subscription vs Buying Areas

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Dec 23, 2012
Ahoy everyone,

I am trying to figure out whether getting a membership subscription or unlocking the areas as I come across them is more cost effective? I like the fact that when you unlock an area, it's unlocked forever so you can go back to it later. Unlike with a subscription where as soon as it ends, you lose access to the areas. I would like to hear the opinions of pirates on both sides of this, what did you do? Are you happy with your choice? Are there any benefits to one over the other?

Thanks,
Darling Savannah Lvl 16
Cruel Hope Lvl 15
Rowan Lvl 20

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
magicbear1998 on Jun 11, 2020 wrote:
Ahoy everyone,

I am trying to figure out whether getting a membership subscription or unlocking the areas as I come across them is more cost effective? I like the fact that when you unlock an area, it's unlocked forever so you can go back to it later. Unlike with a subscription where as soon as it ends, you lose access to the areas. I would like to hear the opinions of pirates on both sides of this, what did you do? Are you happy with your choice? Are there any benefits to one over the other?

Thanks,
Darling Savannah Lvl 16
Cruel Hope Lvl 15
Rowan Lvl 20
I'm a crowns player, I use those crowns to buy areas. At this point in time, I feel that this has been a smart move on my part. I can access all areas of this game , take my time in questing ( never worry about time running out ) and it costs the same ( eventually ) as a membership.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Buy the area. At least then you have it for all you pirates for as long as this game lasts. Paying for a subscription only allows access as long as you maintain the subscription, and KI will be funneling that money to Wizard anyway.

At least with the crowns purchased areas, you're getting what you paid for in the game you wanted it.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
magicbear1998 on Jun 11, 2020 wrote:
Ahoy everyone,

Thanks,
Darling Savannah Lvl 16
Cruel Hope Lvl 15
Rowan Lvl 20
I personally use a membership and decide when i will have time to play the game within that month, if you want to play slowly and take ur time then buying areas could be a better option so that u can play at ur own pace and not worry about not taking full advantage of your membership, unlocking areas doesnt mean u will have a reason to revisit them usually

Ensign
Dec 23, 2012
Thank you to the pirates who have answered so far! I do think I will buy the areas as I go. As much as I would like to get a membership, I worry that with college classes taking up my time, I won't be able to utilize it fully. I also like the idea of being able to visit areas again later on if I chose to. Thank you Anecorbie for mentioning that it costs the same eventually in the end.

Petty Officer
Mar 03, 2020
you're better off using a member to quest, then using crowns to buy farming areas

by farming areas, i am referring to areas you can farm for good/best gear in the game, like moo, kane, obsidian key fights.
personally if you're into pvp you can even buy areas of mooshu, cool ranch, and aquila, bosses in those areas drop important pieces of gear to pvp (valor forts, valor armors, assassins, etc)

i've never found buying the entire game to really be worth it, especially when you can max a character in about a month playing 2 hours a day, 2 weeks if you can be consistent and play longer.