Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Hybrid theories

AuthorMessage
Commodore
May 31, 2009
Okay, so I haven't done a lot of pet morphing but I'll throw these out there.

1. The lizard in the corner of the morphing tent. I'm going to call it a Basilisk because that's what it looks like to me. It is green and has faint stripes, so it could be a cross between:

Sabretoothed Bunny and Orchid Chameleon

But the Sabretoothed Bunny and the Orchid Chameleon have been proven to create hybrids (Tiger Shark and Emusaur) Can pets that already have a hybrid attached to them make a different hybrid?

Orchid Chameleon and Quackosaurus

Since the Emusaur made no logical sense, why not?

2. The hedgehog with the eyepatch. Logically, it would be an Armadillo Verde crossed with something else:

Armadillo Verde and Ostrich

The Ostrich is for the pirate-y factor. The hedgehog has an eyepatch and the Ostrich has a peg leg

Armadillo Verde and Lion Fish

Since a Lion Fish has spikes, this could make sense as well.

3. Bunnycorn. This one's been sought after for a while now. There are two kinds--a pink one and a blue one. I think they are different, so one would be labeled 'Pink Bunnycorn' and the other 'Blue Bunnycorn'. That is, if they actually are Bunnycorns. Possible hybrid theories are:

White-tailed Jackalope and Silver Buffaloon

The Buffaloons have horns, right? So it makes a little bit of sense. But there is no bright color in that combo.

White-tailed Jackalope and Quackosaurus.

This one doesn't make sense at all, but the Quackosaurus has some color in it.

White-tailed Jackalope and Cutie Chameleon

The Chameleon is pink!

4. Longhorn Jackalope. I saw this in a practice match against Decius. It has orange-ish fur, and antlers like the White-tailed Jackalope. So, going with logic, it's a combo of:

White-tailed Jackalope and Sabretoothed Bunny

But this again raises the question of whether a pet that already creates a hybrid can create another.

So, what does everyone else think?

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
Since there are both pink and blue Bunnicorns in the Circus Maximus it seems reasonable to me that the pink and blue Chocolopes might be the first half of the Bunnicorns' parentage, respectively. Of course, Decius has stated that no seasonal pet is the parent of a hybrid so far. That would just mean that when Decius said that, bunnicorns weren't possible yet. Possible parents for the other half of the equation might be a Unicorn, Cyclops or Narwhal (still not released yet), or anything else, I suppose.

One of my pet Hybrid theories I posted before still holds up. So far all hybrids have been from morphing pets from different origin worlds. The game-logic basis for this might be that if both parent species existed in the same world, they might morph in the wild and we would have seen the hybrids lurking somewhere in that world. Since Hybrids are never before seen creatures, their parents would have to come from different worlds.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Row4n412 on Jul 23, 2014 wrote:
Since there are both pink and blue Bunnicorns in the Circus Maximus it seems reasonable to me that the pink and blue Chocolopes might be the first half of the Bunnicorns' parentage, respectively. Of course, Decius has stated that no seasonal pet is the parent of a hybrid so far. That would just mean that when Decius said that, bunnicorns weren't possible yet. Possible parents for the other half of the equation might be a Unicorn, Cyclops or Narwhal (still not released yet), or anything else, I suppose.

One of my pet Hybrid theories I posted before still holds up. So far all hybrids have been from morphing pets from different origin worlds. The game-logic basis for this might be that if both parent species existed in the same world, they might morph in the wild and we would have seen the hybrids lurking somewhere in that world. Since Hybrids are never before seen creatures, their parents would have to come from different worlds.
I doubt we'd get Unicorns or Cyclopes since many of the pets in Wizard101 haven't made an appearance in Pirate101. Narwhal is a good idea, though. Since Decius said that seasonal pets don't make hybrids (yet?) I didn't put the Chocolopes in my post.

I never noticed the fact that the parent pets of hybrids are from different worlds. Looking back at my first post, the one that could be possible is the hedgehog. The Armadillo Verde is a Cool Ranch pet, and the Ostrich and/or Lion Fish are both Skull Island pets, right?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
MistyDragon13 on Jul 24, 2014 wrote:
I doubt we'd get Unicorns or Cyclopes since many of the pets in Wizard101 haven't made an appearance in Pirate101. Narwhal is a good idea, though. Since Decius said that seasonal pets don't make hybrids (yet?) I didn't put the Chocolopes in my post.

I never noticed the fact that the parent pets of hybrids are from different worlds. Looking back at my first post, the one that could be possible is the hedgehog. The Armadillo Verde is a Cool Ranch pet, and the Ostrich and/or Lion Fish are both Skull Island pets, right?
Decius did comment that the most common pets will make hybrids, currently I'm trying to get that green lizard I've seen in the morphing tent. The Combo I'm trying is Dinolizard and Tropical Skysnake. I've just got my dino to max level, I'll let you know if anything comes of it.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Row4n412 on Jul 23, 2014 wrote:

The Emusaur's parents are both from the same world, Skull Island.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
anecorbie on Jul 24, 2014 wrote:
Decius did comment that the most common pets will make hybrids, currently I'm trying to get that green lizard I've seen in the morphing tent. The Combo I'm trying is Dinolizard and Tropical Skysnake. I've just got my dino to max level, I'll let you know if anything comes of it.
Oh, I didn't even think about that combo! I don't have either of those pets, so I overlooked them. Sounds like it might work, good luck!

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
anecorbie on Jul 24, 2014 wrote:
The Emusaur's parents are both from the same world, Skull Island.
Unless I am mistaken, the Emusaur comes from
Ostrich (Marleybone origin) + Orchid Chameleon (Skull Island origin)

Are there any currently known Hybrids that disprove my theory?

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Row4n412 on Jul 25, 2014 wrote:
Unless I am mistaken, the Emusaur comes from
Ostrich (Marleybone origin) + Orchid Chameleon (Skull Island origin)

Are there any currently known Hybrids that disprove my theory?
How is an Ostrich from Marleybone?

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
MistyDragon13 on Jul 26, 2014 wrote:
How is an Ostrich from Marleybone?
He Loves Haggis Chips, Which come from Marleybone. He likes side dishes from anywhere else. That's how we know pet origin worlds, by what snacks they like or love.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Row4n412 on Jul 29, 2014 wrote:
He Loves Haggis Chips, Which come from Marleybone. He likes side dishes from anywhere else. That's how we know pet origin worlds, by what snacks they like or love.
Yeah Charles, it's a bit weird that the home world isn't always associated with what world you acquire them or where they drop from. Most players (including me at first) figured that the Ice Scarab's home world was Aquila since it was dropped by bosses from Aquila. Yet it is considered a MooShu pet. Just as I first thought that the Not so Great White was a Marleybonean pet because it drops there.....nope, Skull Island born and bred!?

But, you are absolutely correct that so far all hybrids have come from 2 pets from different world origins. Although, I guess another way of putting it would be that each hybrid thus far has come from 2 pets that prefer snacks from 2 different Worlds.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Ah, I see. I am only trying to get my Ostrich to adult so I can try for an Emusaur, so I haven't really been paying attention to its 'likes' and 'loves'.

And unrelated to the Ostrich, this is something one of my real-life friends thought up:

If you morph the pet you have equipped, that is the pet you will get.

For example: If I have my White-Tailed Jackalope equipped, and I morph it with someone's Quackosaurus, then I'll get another White-Tailed Jackalope. However, if I unequip my Jackalope before morphing it, then I'll get the other pet. This has happened to me several times. Is it just luck?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
We got it in SI from the watermoles, it also like SI snacks. Unless there is something to say otherwise, I say its from SI.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
My ostrich certainly seems to like Marleybone snacks the bestest.

The hybrids-only-from-parents-from-different-worlds theory is interesting, but with so few hybrids discovered (or at least posted around here) at this point, it is from from certain.

-Indigo

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
anecorbie on Jul 29, 2014 wrote:
We got it in SI from the watermoles, it also like SI snacks. Unless there is something to say otherwise, I say its from SI.
Hi Esperanza, have you tried Skull Island Snacks from all three Snack classes: Main Course, Side Dish and Dessert? It should only Like Skull Island Snacks that are Side Dish snacks.

Any pet can Like a Snack from any world, providing it is a Snack from it's preferred Snack Class. The Ostrich prefers Side Dish Snacks, so feeding it any Side Dish Snack from any world will produce a Liked result. This includes any Skull Island Side Dish Snack such as: Scrimshaw Swiss, Mystery Nuggets, Tabooleh Salad, Skull & Crossbuns and Pollycrackers. It will Like all of those Skull Island Snacks even though it is classified as a "Marleybonean Pet".

The difference is that it likes ALL Marleybonean Snacks, regardless of being a Main Course, Side Dish or Dessert. So, to many this classifies it as a pet native to Marleybone. Just as the Ice Scarab is associated in-game with being dropped in Aquila, yet it Likes all Snack classes from MooShu. Does this mean the Ice Scarab is a MooShu native? Not 100% sure, but it is the only World so far that has snow in it....at least I think.

When it comes to feeding pets snacks and producing Like/Loved results, instead of classifying a pet by where it appears to come from, I prefer to classify it (in regards to Snack Time) by which World does the pet Like all classes of Snacks. But to some, the mere fact that a pet likes all classes of snacks from one particular world, means that particular world is the pet's home world and possibly it is accustomed to dining on Snacks from it's home world, hence the Liking of all of the classes of Snacks from that world.

If you want to believe the Ostrich is a Skull Island pet, by all means that is perfectly fine. But you may want to feed it Marleybonean Side Dishes if you want it to Love Snack time and grow a wee bit faster. Right now the only ways to get a Loved result for a "Marleybonean Pet" is to feed it one from Marleybone and from it's preferred Snack Class....or, feed it the Rank 10 Snack, El Doreeto. That is until KI adds a Universal Snack from Marleybone, which I surely hope they will, as well as Universal Snacks from Aquila.

Hope you enjoy your pet Ostrich, wherever he/she happens to be from.

Ensign
Nov 28, 2009
Might have missed it, but has anyone thought about the holiday pets in July that were just available? I know they said in the beginning that holiday pets weren't morphing 'yet', but these are the first holiday pets that are an egg coming before the pet and they didn't offer the red baubaloon one at all, just the green one and the candy cane dragon, so just wondering if these two were special, as in morphing possible?

Anyone know? And if they are, is it only these new ones, or are the prior Chistmas pets also now morphable, (except maybe red one snce it wasn't for sale in july) - or does that make the red one special, hmm...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
MistyDragon13 on Jul 29, 2014 wrote:
Ah, I see. I am only trying to get my Ostrich to adult so I can try for an Emusaur, so I haven't really been paying attention to its 'likes' and 'loves'.

And unrelated to the Ostrich, this is something one of my real-life friends thought up:

If you morph the pet you have equipped, that is the pet you will get.

For example: If I have my White-Tailed Jackalope equipped, and I morph it with someone's Quackosaurus, then I'll get another White-Tailed Jackalope. However, if I unequip my Jackalope before morphing it, then I'll get the other pet. This has happened to me several times. Is it just luck?
I suspect that is probably along the same lines as head patting and tummy rubbing.

Bosun
Apr 09, 2014
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jul 30, 2014 wrote:
I suspect that is probably along the same lines as head patting and tummy rubbing.
Except when you are from Aquila! Then it is ruffle your head feathers and scratch the ground while doing the bird dance.
But to be serious for a moment. The pet being equipped or unequipped does not change the results of the outcome of the morphing.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jul 30, 2014 wrote:
LOL I head pat and tummy rub all the time! (That's how I got Underdog's Cleaver on my first-ever fight with him!!) Though sometimes it's hard to click while doing that.

But my friend's theory about equipped pets works in Wizard101. We've experimented with her Storm Hound and my Velociraptor. Each time we morph with them equipped, we get our own pet. If one of us has our pet equipped, we get our own pet. If neither of us have our pet equipped...well, we actually haven't tried that yet since I ran out of gold and morphing costs are insanely high on W101. (Thank you KI for making morphing cheaper in Pirate101!)

On the subject of Ostriches, now that I think about it I guess they are from Marleybone. It is odd, though, since they have a pegleg which is more of a pirate-y and/or Skull Island-ish thing. Guess I need to start feeding mine some Marleybone snacks!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
8 attempts so far for my Dinolizard + Skysnake = frilled lizard ? Results: 6 dinos and 2 skysnakes. How many attempts should I try before I give this combo up?

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Decius Duelmaster on Jul 30, 2014 wrote:
Except when you are from Aquila! Then it is ruffle your head feathers and scratch the ground while doing the bird dance.
But to be serious for a moment. The pet being equipped or unequipped does not change the results of the outcome of the morphing.
LOL! How do you do the bird dance? Oh, wait. I think I get it now...*does the chicken dance*

Thanks for the information about equipped/unequipped pets, Decius. I guess my friend and I just have some bad luck at morphing in Wizard101!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Decius Duelmaster on Jul 30, 2014 wrote:
LOL, Thank you Decius, you just gave me the most gloriously hilarious mental image and now I can't stop giggling.
Also, thanks for confirming that the pet equip urban legend is now relegated to the conspiracy theorists. *Still laughing*

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
anecorbie on Jul 31, 2014 wrote:
8 attempts so far for my Dinolizard + Skysnake = frilled lizard ? Results: 6 dinos and 2 skysnakes. How many attempts should I try before I give this combo up?
No way of really knowing, that is our main problem. My highest was 25 for a known recipe and others have tried far higher than that for a known morph.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
"8 attempts so far for my Dinolizard + Skysnake = frilled lizard ? Results: 6 dinos and 2 skysnakes. How many attempts should I try before I give this combo up?"

I carefully counted the number of attempts it took me to make known hybrids. I think the longest was 15. The average was about 8. I started a thread so people could report the number of attempts to obtain a hybrid, so we could gather data and have a better guess at an answer to your question. But not many people have posted info - I suspect most people are not that careful keeping a count. But, fellow Mighty Morphing Pet Wranglers, there is an advantage to carefully collecting and reporting data!

-Indigo

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Anecorbie, here is my count; the average is just below nine.

Grimtooth Reaper: 9 attempts
Tiger Shark: 15 attempts
Frostbiter: 6 attempts
Emusaur: 5 attempts

Bosun
Apr 09, 2014
MistyDragon13 on Jul 30, 2014 wrote:
LOL I head pat and tummy rub all the time! (That's how I got Underdog's Cleaver on my first-ever fight with him!!) Though sometimes it's hard to click while doing that.

But my friend's theory about equipped pets works in Wizard101. We've experimented with her Storm Hound and my Velociraptor. Each time we morph with them equipped, we get our own pet. If one of us has our pet equipped, we get our own pet. If neither of us have our pet equipped...well, we actually haven't tried that yet since I ran out of gold and morphing costs are insanely high on W101. (Thank you KI for making morphing cheaper in Pirate101!)

On the subject of Ostriches, now that I think about it I guess they are from Marleybone. It is odd, though, since they have a pegleg which is more of a pirate-y and/or Skull Island-ish thing. Guess I need to start feeding mine some Marleybone snacks!
I can only say with certainty what happens here in Bestia. Over in the land of wizards and wands they use some magic that not even Hep will allow in the morphing tent. That is a good thing too, from what I hear there is use of "electricity" and I am not a fan of fried foul. Keep that "special" seasoning there.