Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What is a Buccaneer?

AuthorMessage
Developer
Buccaneers are sturdy warriors, who rely on brute strength to overcome their enemies. They wear the heaviest armor, carry the biggest weapons. What Buccaneers lack in grace or finesse they make up for with raw courage: withstanding enemy attacks is the key to a Buccaneer's strategy.

If you are a Buccaneer look for ways to boost your STRENGTH

Petty Officer
Mar 29, 2012
Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
I am leaning towards a bucaneer for my second pirate. I always like the heavy dps classes. Next to Swashbuckler that is!

Lieutenant
Feb 03, 2012
Community Leader
I like playing a tank in MMO's so I chose Buccaneer as my first character. Haven't regretted it so far! Though I think I will play every class eventually.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Ensign
Oct 10, 2012
Can you train to wear heavy armor as a Musketeer and where do you buy the training point at to obtain the heavy armor skill.

Community Leader
Dreadknott223 on Oct 23, 2012 wrote:
Can you train to wear heavy armor as a Musketeer and where do you buy the training point at to obtain the heavy armor skill.
You can wear heavy armor as any class, it just may not be advisable. In order to get the "Practice Points" you need, you can complete quests for Prospector Zeke, the first of which is finding Funky Bunches for Marquis Marque which are scattered all over the staring areas, one in each landing zone, for the most part. Otherwise, you get a Practice point for reaching lvl 8, and at certain points in your leveling up (every 5 levels starting at 15, I think).

Heavy Armor can be trained by the Buccaneer Trainer Mordekai. You have to be level 10 and have already gotten "Light Armor".

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Ensign
Jul 21, 2009
No,you get practice points starting at 8, and then every 4 levels until 20, then its every 5 levels. Also i think they arrrrrrrrrrr awesome!

Ensign
Nov 09, 2011
Which ship do you think is best for a Buccaneer to have? Frigate or Gallion or other?

I like the Gallion for the double cannons, however Monquista Gallion looks too pretty for a Buccanneer and I don't think Frigate parts will fit on a Gallion, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know if Frigate parts fit on a Gallion?

Ensign
Jul 21, 2009
Normally, i like magic, but i rlly like b-neers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
sweettaffey on Nov 3, 2012 wrote:
Which ship do you think is best for a Buccaneer to have? Frigate or Gallion or other?

I like the Gallion for the double cannons, however Monquista Gallion looks too pretty for a Buccanneer and I don't think Frigate parts will fit on a Gallion, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know if Frigate parts fit on a Gallion?
From what I've see so far, it depends more on the ships you are fighting whether you need a Frigate or a Galleon. The level of the ship vs the ships you are fighting also matters.

If the piece of equipment specifies a ship type, then it can only work on that ship type and no other. For example, Frigate parts cannot be used on Galleons, nor can a Bison Frigate part work on a Monquistador Frigate or a Pirate Frigate.

Ensign
Sep 07, 2011
So I made Level 50 today and thought I would share some thoughts:

My second school was Privateer with one point in Witchdoctor.

The journey was flat out fun! My favorite quest by far was Stormzilla though for quite a while I hated it and complained on the board. It was me not KI; I learned about patience and things about strategy that made the rest of my journey relatively easy. As a tank I was head down and attack for the longest time but at higher levels it is wise in a lot of cases to lay back and let the mobs come to you.

My favorite companions in order are Monkey King, El Toro, Kobe Yojombo and Bonnie Anne. Monkey King is just an amazing companion and I can't imagine getting to 50 without him although I fear he is unique to Bucaneer, I hope not.

I had 3 pets but always used the one I started with, the parakeet. I appreciated the little hits all the way to the end as I will take any damage I can get and more importantly the distraction they cause is so worth it.

I didn't do any side quests but now that I'm 50 I'll go bact to the start and do them. For me it's all about getting every training point I can and I intend to log those quests that give them for my next character which will probably be a Witchdoctor.

Kudos to KI for all the fun and I'm looking for to the next expansion. In the meantime there is so much more I want to do that this game will keep me busy for quite some time.

Lucas
Level 50 Bucaneer

Captain
May 02, 2009
Mordekai on Mar 1, 2012 wrote:
Buccaneers are sturdy warriors, who rely on brute strength to overcome their enemies. They wear the heaviest armor, carry the biggest weapons. What Buccaneers lack in grace or finesse they make up for with raw courage: withstanding enemy attacks is the key to a Buccaneer's strategy.

I like all 5 classes but the Buccaneers are #1!

Ensign
Oct 25, 2012
Buccaneer has to be my favorite class of them all, second is Privateer.

Captain
May 13, 2011
i chose buccaneer cause of being deadly up close and tanking. i dont like guns. hide and shoot isnt real fighting for me

Ensign
Sep 15, 2009
Ensign
Feb 16, 2010
Blaze Carter on Oct 22, 2012 wrote:
i really like the Buccaneer :)
i also like the class. i'm level 23 and counting

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012

ya right, KI say buccaneers are the big hitters but they arent really, all they do is hit big numbers most times; while a swashbuckler would hit like maybe 5 one hundreds, a buccaneer would just hit a big 380 or two 190's :P and that IS in comparison to the five hundred. does it sound like it make sense to bring a fragile GIRL raccoon like morgan laffite into battle over a gruff HAMMER HEAD shark like Mordekai? noo way unless your ALWAYS fighting in a dark alley were she can just sneak up on you and poke your spleen or something :P

go ahead and make swash bucklers hit the more damage than buccaneers, which i still dont agree with, but cant KI make buccaneers be able to do other thing that strong brutal people can do? like maybe a KO attack? srsly, i was sure when i first read about and downloaded this game that buccaneers would be able to ko opponents.
they could have an axe throw, or a dazing skill called power strike, were they knock the wind outa you and make your buffs run fore like 2 less turns, and then later like at lvl 65 or so, they could get mighty blow, which take off five turns, that would be cool. or you could make them have one called ram, were they ram you and knock you back some spaces, like 3, and then they could get POWER ram later, that hits you back like five spaces. then you compile them one after the other and push them a good deal of spaces back

or how about fortitude, they could use this to keep living for like 400 damage below thier life, the way it would work is that you cant put them below zero in one attack, so like if i battle a buccaneer and he use fortitude, and i backstab him and hit like 1500, and he only had 900 life left, i would kill him right? but because he have fortitude on, the rest of 600 is just cutt of and then you have to take of the rest of 400 hundred with a whole different blow, or maybe he'd bleed to death :P either way you get what i mean

all theese i think are good ideas, maybe a litttle to powerful, but yall can maybe cut them down a bit.

i love buccaneers, but if they dont get any new upgrades, i'll just stick with mi ninja :P

BTW, the cool names like mighty blow and fortitude, and power ram and power strike, my bro came up with
but the ideas are mostly mine thx for listening! if you all are ... :P

Cunning Xavier Veldon, lvl 37 swash buckler

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012

Kraken Coils, shark fury and whale might dont seem to boost a buccneers damage, it only work a bit on the companions :P is it that they cant compile? if b-neer have 80 strengh, when they use K-coils it should go to 120, then they use S- fury, it should go to 180, and then W-might it would be 360, that would be 56 plus DAMAGE, but it dont seem to work :P is it becuse of the 100 strenght cap? or something else?

Also, whales dont have might, just real heavy :P lol

C-Xvier Veldon lvl 37 Swash

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
why do vengeance strike hit less? it MAKE NO SENSE!!

also, for epics that hit more or less, like riposte, more and first strike, less, cant KI put it on the card?
and are they even listening and considering these posts??

Xavier lvl 37 swash

Ensign
Dec 22, 2012
My best char is a lvl 15 Buccaneer in valinca named Loyal Taylor Freeman if you know me HI!!!!!!!!!!!
GO BUCCANEERS

Ensign
Oct 15, 2012
From what i have read buccaneers are supposed to be the "big hitters" and i just have a few too many problems with that phrase right there. it's probably because they are not! I dont say they should be overly powerful but considering the fact that swashbucklers got an extra epic "riposte" which i have no problem with because it makes sense. Buccaneers should be able to use the relentless epic because it is just so fitting for buccaneers nature and because even though they have the most epic blade storm lvl 2? seriously? how many time is a buccaneer surrounded by enemies who are all almost dead? huh? RARE! very rare so blade storm doesn't quite fit them. i think instead of the blade storm epic buccaneers should have relentless. Also, shouldn't buccaneers charges "mighty charge vicious charge and brutal charge" hit a little more damage? its just really terrible being a buccaneer and using your strongest skill only to see it hit 300 critical. seriously i think buccaneers need a real makeover.

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009
Bucaneers rely on brute force. what they lack in finesse they make up for in raw power.

I personally think that the best comboin pvp might be privateers abd bucaneers together.

Ensign
Oct 15, 2012
Talkin The Plank on Oct 24, 2012 wrote:
You can wear heavy armor as any class, it just may not be advisable. In order to get the "Practice Points" you need, you can complete quests for Prospector Zeke, the first of which is finding Funky Bunches for Marquis Marque which are scattered all over the staring areas, one in each landing zone, for the most part. Otherwise, you get a Practice point for reaching lvl 8, and at certain points in your leveling up (every 5 levels starting at 15, I think).

Heavy Armor can be trained by the Buccaneer Trainer Mordekai. You have to be level 10 and have already gotten "Light Armor".
Actually you are wrong in this case, as a musketeer or witchdoctor or even swashbuckler you cannot wear heavy armor. Just like how shadow dance just cannot be learned with a practice point and is swashbuckler only so is heavy armor. It can only be learned by a privateer or buccaneer at level ten or higher, who already has light armor. It cannot ever be learned by a musketeer, swashbuckler, or witchdoctor.

Lieutenant
Feb 03, 2012
Diraz18 on Feb 11, 2013 wrote:
Actually you are wrong in this case, as a musketeer or witchdoctor or even swashbuckler you cannot wear heavy armor. Just like how shadow dance just cannot be learned with a practice point and is swashbuckler only so is heavy armor. It can only be learned by a privateer or buccaneer at level ten or higher, who already has light armor. It cannot ever be learned by a musketeer, swashbuckler, or witchdoctor.
I believe you could actually learn heavy armor as any class early on in the beta, if i rememebr correctly. They probbaly changed itto make it more unique to the heavy classes.