Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Ratbeards promo quest incorrect?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 29, 2009
Hey, I just finished the quest to promote ratbeard from commander to captain and in the quest you need to go after fowl because he is the one who poisoned ratbeards crew, why do we have to go after him? we already killed captain fowl back in the gullet before we even get ratbeard on my crew. This seems wrong, was he rezuurected????? thnx

First Mate
Dec 12, 2011
Yumdrinker101 on Aug 16, 2013 wrote:
Hey, I just finished the quest to promote ratbeard from commander to captain and in the quest you need to go after fowl because he is the one who poisoned ratbeards crew, why do we have to go after him? we already killed captain fowl back in the gullet before we even get ratbeard on my crew. This seems wrong, was he rezuurected????? thnx
I... don't recall ever killing Captain Fowl before. I don't think we've ever heard of a Captain Fowl before, till Ratbeard told us of him during that promotion...

Developer
Bloody Belle on Aug 17, 2013 wrote:
I... don't recall ever killing Captain Fowl before. I don't think we've ever heard of a Captain Fowl before, till Ratbeard told us of him during that promotion...
If you do your side quests, you can meet Captain Fowl in the MooShu Falcon quest before Ratbeard's second promotion. But if you do them in this order, Ratbeard doesn't know about Fowl's link to his crew yet. Having trounced him once a while back isn't enough - the bird must pay. Again.

As to Fowl's recurrence, we build our stories on the certainty that our combats (despite any appearance to the contrary) are non-lethal. So people you defeat (especially interesting villain types) can come back. Given enough time, most of them will...

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Blind Mew on Aug 22, 2013 wrote:
If you do your side quests, you can meet Captain Fowl in the MooShu Falcon quest before Ratbeard's second promotion. But if you do them in this order, Ratbeard doesn't know about Fowl's link to his crew yet. Having trounced him once a while back isn't enough - the bird must pay. Again.

As to Fowl's recurrence, we build our stories on the certainty that our combats (despite any appearance to the contrary) are non-lethal. So people you defeat (especially interesting villain types) can come back. Given enough time, most of them will...
Even Nim and the Brass Monkey? It was thrilling to beat Nim once, but it's possible that he may come back again soon, still on the hunt for Marco Pollo's Map, and pursuing revenge against the PC for his defeat. I'm quite certain there are other yet to be seen villainous hunters who are also on the Map hunt may be brought up later on, because Nim's not alone in this. Besides, One-Eyed Jack said that every hunter in Skull Island's been hunting for the Map after word about it got out back then, and it's certain there's a lot of those hunters out there other than Nim.

And, having already beaten the Brass Monkey twice, once in Skull Island, the second time in MooShu, he still says he will have his vengeance. I'm certain a third encounter with him is inevitable, still bearing the burning thought of revenge in his heart and mind. And when he does return, I'm sure I'll be ready for him.

Seeing Captain Fowl twice and defeating him during Ratbeard's second promotion quest was fine, but I'm not sure if there's a third time seeing him... unless his cell in Fort Elena was busted open during it's crippling by the Armada's ship cannons and he would be free again to get revenge... but could it be possible? If so, I'll be ready for him!

Lieutenant
Dec 31, 2012
Bloody Belle on Aug 17, 2013 wrote:
Like Blind Mew said, you run into Captain Fowl during your investigation into the theft of the MooShu Falcon if you did that quest for Captain Avery.

Joey Karo recruits you to persuade Avery to sell the Falcon, but aranges for the item to be stolen instead. Speaking of recurring characters, Karo ends up being double crossed by none other than Fin Dorsal, himself.... who is in turn triple crossed by his former hench-shark, Marcus.

You remember those two guys.

Chronologically (or at least on a quest availbility timetable), The MooShu Falcon quest happens before you end up saving Ratbeard at Waponi Wu (what a Golbez moment that was. Grrrrr..... ), so you don't make the connection between the two until Ratbeard mentions his unfinished business in Port Regal.

Not only that, but you also end up crossing paths with Joey Karo one more time after that quest during the main storyline quest in Cool Ranch.