Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Wounded penalty too punishing?

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
BrynnerOfReign on May 13, 2014 wrote:
Having the old system made you use other companions anyway, which is what made it interesting and challenging. I have several lesser companions that I grew to like more when they appeared randomly.

Having the current system forced on you in this fashion is wrong. The length of time for healing the wounded shouldn't be as long. The gold cost shouldn't be that high. There are schools that have many more companions than others that they can tap into.

Here's another thing to think about: Many pirates have not and will not collect their side quest companions. Why? The lack of tomes due to the outrageous gold cost and lack of tomes found in the game. The training of many of these companions can cost quite a bit of gold. Many pirates also don't train what companions they do have to the max, because they want to utilize what little tomes they have to their advantage, which is waiting to train them as many levels lower than their pirate as they can get away with.
Are you forgetting that you can now send your lesser companions to get you gold and training tomes for free? You now have help even getting training xp for them. The companions you never liked to fight can now get you those expensive tomes and even more funds to buy more if you like. With the free training reset you can equip them to get those things even faster.
You can still have that randomness you love. Just set your system for totally random or having the same first mate and the rest will be random. Whoever you do NOT want into your random pool, send them out to get you those tomes and gold. I really think it is much better this way.

Developer
BrynnerOfReign on May 13, 2014 wrote:
Having the old system made you use other companions anyway, which is what made it interesting and challenging. I have several lesser companions that I grew to like more when they appeared randomly.

Having the current system forced on you in this fashion is wrong. The length of time for healing the wounded shouldn't be as long. The gold cost shouldn't be that high. There are schools that have many more companions than others that they can tap into.

Here's another thing to think about: Many pirates have not and will not collect their side quest companions. Why? The lack of tomes due to the outrageous gold cost and lack of tomes found in the game. The training of many of these companions can cost quite a bit of gold. Many pirates also don't train what companions they do have to the max, because they want to utilize what little tomes they have to their advantage, which is waiting to train them as many levels lower than their pirate as they can get away with.

We did think about it.

Which is why you can now send companions out to generate free training tomes for you and, barring that, gold.

Get 'em, don't get 'em, train 'em, don't train 'em, heal 'em, don't heal 'em.

You have options.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I'm currently play with a mid level buccaneer, some of my companions have been defeated during the course my adventures; I have not been inconvienienced in any way. Yes, they were my 'favorites' but the other companions handle the battles just fine. What is the fuss about?

Ensign
Jul 29, 2011
i dont like how they keep saying use a diffrent companion what if you dont have any more companions

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
jon the slayer on May 15, 2014 wrote:
i dont like how they keep saying use a diffrent companion what if you dont have any more companions
Hi Jon, welcome to the message boards.
If your favorites are on bed rest you can free up a working companion just by clicking the "Belay Orders" button. Then they will become instantly available to help you out in your quests.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I'm sorry to hear that you lost all your companions, that hurts! I fought Deacon in Cool Ranch and El Toro got the 'bed rest'. He's Level 40 so he needed to rest for 2 hours. If you really need that certain companion and you can't pay for healing, you can wake them up, but they will be fighting at a disadvantage.

Developer
Ok. In that case, yes, you're in trouble.

At that point, you need to assess whether you are in over your head. Do some side quests to level your pirate, use some tomes to train up your companions, train up your pet so he can help out-- and be more careful overall.

We're watching our data very carefully to make sure that the overwhelming majority of our players don't enter a "death spiral" like that. Obviously, before we even made this change, we set the difficulty to a place we think most players will be able to work with.

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
Companions are very useful, but you don't always need them to fight for you.
I have an idea, it might be a dumb one though.... what about having the ability to switch companions during battle, or switch a knocked out companions with another active companion...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Noble Tyler Strong on May 16, 2014 wrote:
Companions are very useful, but you don't always need them to fight for you.
I have an idea, it might be a dumb one though.... what about having the ability to switch companions during battle, or switch a knocked out companions with another active companion...
If we could do that then we would never lose a battle. That would change the game dynamics way too much.
Keep coming up with those ideas though. You are a good thinker.

Ensign
Jun 09, 2010
To tell you the truth, I am not a big fan of this whole wound thing. I understand what you are trying to to. I really do. But here I am trying to help a friend, and I am not so quick to jump if it means loosing my top companions here or there especially if I enter a fight way out numbered. Then I end up loosing my best companion while trying to heal my friend. I find it's not very fair. A compromise though. What about putting a difficulty button on? Having the options of wounds or no wounds. I have died countless times getting up to lvl 65 including companions, but looking back I think it will discourage the younger crowd. It's suppose to be a family game right? So what if there is a 10 year old who gets very upset because they can't play since their companions are all wounded? Also I understand to switch to a new companion. But here I have all but 4 companions farming right now, and a friend wants help. I really will feel bad if I turn that friend down, even though I made that decision to farm what 10-12 hours ago. Sorry. Not really liking it.

~Happy Sailing~
Rave

Ensign
Jul 02, 2009
It is crazy now at level 65. Wounds to companions cost around 33k gold for one companion or 8 hours bed rest. Sure the scrapper talent helps cut it if you buy both ranks down; to 5 hours 30 minutes. I had 17 companions on bed rest while doing the Troy dungeon on my musketeer in the one and a half hour time frame. The amount of damage put out by fire dancers can bankrupt a pirate unless the pirate spreads his team out.

Developer
Bucisfav on May 27, 2014 wrote:
It is crazy now at level 65. Wounds to companions cost around 33k gold for one companion or 8 hours bed rest. Sure the scrapper talent helps cut it if you buy both ranks down; to 5 hours 30 minutes. I had 17 companions on bed rest while doing the Troy dungeon on my musketeer in the one and a half hour time frame. The amount of damage put out by fire dancers can bankrupt a pirate unless the pirate spreads his team out.
So spread your team out.

Lieutenant
Oct 11, 2010
the wonded thing is fine, just dont let your team die. I farmed so many things at 65 on my buck and witch i have no issues with any of my crew dying. Also note the best companions in the game are free as well. I have most of the crown shop ones on my main however i just stick to about 4-6 of them mainly since they are the best.

toro bonnie zeena works well with any class let them come to you helps alot as well while you buff or what not.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Ok, granted that the prices for healing our companions get quite hefty, and yes, it deters us from doing our pirate adventures, but maybe there should be a better way to cohere to this. Honestly, I was a bit upset that we had to pay such a price to heal them, but I waited, anyway, and that gets a bit frustrating, too.

Maybe paying to heal one companion that is wounded at higher levels should be a little cheaper while healing two or more companions that are wounded should be slightly more expensive? Just thinking.

Thought it would ease our stresses of having to pay much expensive prices just for our companions to heal. Anyone agrees to this idea?

Lieutenant
Apr 30, 2011
I'm always worried about making one mistake in combat, I do not have a lot of gold because, frankly, I always make holes in my pocket, and I never have enough to level ALL of my companions to max like some people can..

It's a bit stressful and it adds more strategy but to be completely honest, the game already had a lot of it. I suppose there's nothing we can do, we just have to deal with it because no-one's planing on changing it.. * Sigh *

Jacob