Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Who stepped on the cat?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jul 26, 2009
I hadn't played P101 for a few months and decided to get my female privateer to finish a few quests. At the end of the first battle, I was jolted by a very high pitched shriek that made me jump a little in my chair. I quickly looked over at my cat to see if she had got accidentally hurt as it was that sort of a noise I heard. Surprisingly, she was sleeping soundly on the couch. Thinking maybe what I heard came from outside, I continued into another battle with my privateer. Again at the end of the battle I heard this extremely annoying high pitched shriek. I then realized it was coming from the game. It was MY very own Female pirate making these strange and piercing squeals! Obviously an addition put into place while I was gone.

While others may absolutely love this addition,I would like to know how I can disable my character's shrieks after winning battles as I find this noise about as appealing as an injured cat, which I initially thought it was. So far the only way I have found is to mute the game sounds altogether, but so much of the flavor of battles is lost in doing this. Can someone tell me how to either disable or remove the female player battle win sound and only that? I don't need to hear shrieks to know my character is ecstatic at having just won her battle I really miss the other spell sounds when I have to disable game sounds for this one very annoying problem. Please help. Thank you.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Black Betty on Dec 9, 2014 wrote:
I hadn't played P101 for a few months and decided to get my female privateer to finish a few quests. At the end of the first battle, I was jolted by a very high pitched shriek that made me jump a little in my chair. I quickly looked over at my cat to see if she had got accidentally hurt as it was that sort of a noise I heard. Surprisingly, she was sleeping soundly on the couch. Thinking maybe what I heard came from outside, I continued into another battle with my privateer. Again at the end of the battle I heard this extremely annoying high pitched shriek. I then realized it was coming from the game. It was MY very own Female pirate making these strange and piercing squeals! Obviously an addition put into place while I was gone.

While others may absolutely love this addition,I would like to know how I can disable my character's shrieks after winning battles as I find this noise about as appealing as an injured cat, which I initially thought it was. So far the only way I have found is to mute the game sounds altogether, but so much of the flavor of battles is lost in doing this. Can someone tell me how to either disable or remove the female player battle win sound and only that? I don't need to hear shrieks to know my character is ecstatic at having just won her battle I really miss the other spell sounds when I have to disable game sounds for this one very annoying problem. Please help. Thank you.
If you think that's bad, you should hear Shiruku Nekko, and Catbeard! Yes, KI has added sounds to our characters and there's no way ( as of now ) to remove them. I will say that I've become used to these voices. I hope you'll eventually get used to them, too.

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2012
I hate what they did with the voices as well. I ended up rerolling a couple of characters as male instead of female to get rid of it. A couple were further along than I was willing to delete so I have a squealing musketeer and bucaneer. Shrieking females like the stereotype from Hollywood who always "need" someone to come rescue them. Bah! Humbug!

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012

If it's only one sound that's bothering you I don't get why you have to mute all the others. I don't even think it's that bad honestly.

Commodore
May 31, 2009

They aren't quite that bad. I run 4 girl pirates at the moment, and I can honestly say that while the voices were a bit of a surprise at first, I've grown to like them. I think due to the rather negative response KI received from some about the character voices, they may add a toggle to turn them on or off.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
There should be a voice selection on the option menu added from mute to high. Not all female pirates have high pitch voice,that kind of ruin it for my witchdoctor and buccaneer. Buccaneers usually have a brave sounding voice like medium pitch and witchdoctors in my, opinon usually have a deep spooky voice.I know it was a bit annoying at first,but I got used to it after a few days or so of playing.

I hope in the future update they add a voice selection, to our created pirate character(s) weather or not to give that high pitch voice or not or at least give a differnt pitch for each created character,that would be nice.

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013

Lol, it does sound like a hurt cat, doesnt it? maybe they will make a way to turn them off, hopefully, i like my voice though.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
I've grown used to the female voices, but I just wish that they were never put in. My Witch Doctor and a high, shreiky voice do not go together.

Ensign
Jul 26, 2009
Just Another Pirat... on Dec 9, 2014 wrote:
I hate what they did with the voices as well. I ended up rerolling a couple of characters as male instead of female to get rid of it. A couple were further along than I was willing to delete so I have a squealing musketeer and bucaneer. Shrieking females like the stereotype from Hollywood who always "need" someone to come rescue them. Bah! Humbug!
When people have to resort to re-rolling characters because of something like a voice being "just that bad" then there is a problem. I'll be hoping for a toggle for character voices in the future and the sooner the better. In addition to the privateer I played the other day, my main is a lvl 65 FEMALE witch doctor and I'll be darned if I have to re-roll her in order to get my sanity back. I do have a couple low level male characters I could play meanwhile, but still, to avoid one's main to get away from what could be an optional sound, is not well thought out game design IMO. There needs to be a toggle.

To this from Duke of Westminster
"If it's only one sound that's bothering you I don't get why you have to mute all the others. I don't even think it's that bad honestly."

All game sounds are lumped together in a file the players cannot access. You can't just go in and turn off one sound. There might be some way to do it, but I don't possess the tech savvy to figure it out. If KI somehow separated out this one sound, then it would be possible, but they have not yet done this.

As for those of you saying "it's not that bad" realize that this is your opinion and not a fact. IMO yes, the shrieking cackle the females make after battle "is just that bad" and I would love to have a toggle to turn it off. As for the "you'll get used to it" types, again noone should have to get used to this in order to enjoy the rest of the game. If it was a once in a while occasional thing I might see your point, but we hear this noise after EACH and EVERY WIN!! There are some things some people never get used to. For example, I suppose I could get used to getting tapped on the head with a pencil all day, but does this make it a good or necessary thing? Does this do anything to add to my enjoyment of the day? After all,it doesnt really hurt "that bad"....

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Black Betty on Dec 10, 2014 wrote:
When people have to resort to re-rolling characters because of something like a voice being "just that bad" then there is a problem. I'll be hoping for a toggle for character voices in the future and the sooner the better. In addition to the privateer I played the other day, my main is a lvl 65 FEMALE witch doctor and I'll be darned if I have to re-roll her in order to get my sanity back. I do have a couple low level male characters I could play meanwhile, but still, to avoid one's main to get away from what could be an optional sound, is not well thought out game design IMO. There needs to be a toggle.

"If it's only one sound that's bothering you I don't get why you have to mute all the others. I don't even think it's that bad honestly."

All game sounds are lumped together in a file the players cannot access. You can't just go in and turn off one sound. There might be some way to do it, but I don't possess the tech savvy to figure it out. If KI somehow separated out this one sound, then it would be possible, but they have not yet done this.

As for those of you saying "it's not that bad" realize that this is your opinion and not a fact. IMO yes, the shrieking cackle the females make after battle "is just that bad" and I would love to have a toggle to turn it off. As for the "you'll get used to it" types, again noone should have to get used to this in order to enjoy the rest of the game. If it was a once in a while occasional thing I might see your point, but we hear this noise after EACH and EVERY WIN!! There are some things some people never get used to. For example, I suppose I could get used to getting tapped on the head with a pencil all day, but does this make it a good or necessary thing? Does this do anything to add to my enjoyment of the day? After all,it doesnt really hurt "that bad"....
Maybe every time a battle is just about to end and you are about to hear that "evil, smooshed kitty shriek", you could have a little bit of fun.

Try letting loose a Joan of Arc, Grainne O'Malley, Hua Mulan, Queen Boudicca or Lozen true, female warrior battle cry right at the very moment of angst. This may not only feed the inner warrior in you, but may also give a little chuckle to you and any others around you. I often invoke my inner pirate and warrior when I play, and despite all of the crazy looks I get-- it brightens up my day!

Try having some fun with it and who knows.....maybe it won't be quite so bad.

Ensign
Aug 20, 2010
Yes, since they changed the voices being a girl is quite the challenge on the eardrums.
Bonnie: Aye.
Me: Huh? Whaddya say?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012

Until Ki gives us a toggle to turn off our character's voices, I'm afraid the only suggestion I can give you is this; turn down the effects sound to just barely audible and turn up the music, that way "the piercing shrieks" won't disturb you. I will say that when I first experienced these voices, I did make the comment that we sounded as if we were sucking helium or that we turned into mice. I honestly say that after two weeks of play these voices didn't bother me at all. If you give it a chance you may grow to either ignore them or like them.
As for KI "making" you reroll a character, well, that was your decision to make.

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2012
anecorbie on Dec 11, 2014 wrote:
Until Ki gives us a toggle to turn off our character's voices, I'm afraid the only suggestion I can give you is this; turn down the effects sound to just barely audible and turn up the music, that way "the piercing shrieks" won't disturb you. I will say that when I first experienced these voices, I did make the comment that we sounded as if we were sucking helium or that we turned into mice. I honestly say that after two weeks of play these voices didn't bother me at all. If you give it a chance you may grow to either ignore them or like them.
As for KI "making" you reroll a character, well, that was your decision to make.
I don't recall saying that KI "made" me reroll the characters. I did say I found the result unacceptable and I have still barely played the female characters I do have now. One does a lot of running around gathering chests for morphing coin, you may have run across her at Nova Aquilia. That is if you play late nights on One Eye Jack realm (or early morning for you east coast people).

Though I must say it worked out nicely that KI declined my rename request for one of them so I had to reroll that character anyway (hard to imagine a company that isn't happy to take your money for a name change in this day and age). Thankfully the voice update had already been done by that point so it was a no brainer to reroll that character male, I'd have been bummed if I had paid for a name change and she turned into a screamer.

Before you all get up in arms, this is an adult female at the keyboard who normally has the majority of my characters as female. I hate females portrayed as screamers. *mutters about the metal "hoop skirt" heavy armor for females in game too, but at least it isn't a metal bikini passed off as heavy armor*

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
I think a few times I actually thought that cats were fighting outside but I guess I've gotten used to the sound.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Just Another Pirat... on Dec 12, 2014 wrote:
I don't recall saying that KI "made" me reroll the characters. I did say I found the result unacceptable and I have still barely played the female characters I do have now. One does a lot of running around gathering chests for morphing coin, you may have run across her at Nova Aquilia. That is if you play late nights on One Eye Jack realm (or early morning for you east coast people).

Though I must say it worked out nicely that KI declined my rename request for one of them so I had to reroll that character anyway (hard to imagine a company that isn't happy to take your money for a name change in this day and age). Thankfully the voice update had already been done by that point so it was a no brainer to reroll that character male, I'd have been bummed if I had paid for a name change and she turned into a screamer.

Before you all get up in arms, this is an adult female at the keyboard who normally has the majority of my characters as female. I hate females portrayed as screamers. *mutters about the metal "hoop skirt" heavy armor for females in game too, but at least it isn't a metal bikini passed off as heavy armor*
As an adult female, I agree ( thankfully ) that KI has avoided a few stereotypes in the female literature genre. At least the "hoop skirt" is short, I will say that about it. Maybe its just that I have had more time to get used to the voices, and you see, our characters are not shouting for help - but cheering their victory. Actually, I really like Valkoor's suggestion of doing my own victory cry at the end of a battle. I feel letting rip with a Zeena-esque "AI-AI-AI" might work.

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012

Let me get something straight. Are you annoyed about all the female battle sounds throughout the entire battle or are you annoyed about one sound that happens- and only happens -at the end of the battle. If it is the sound at the end of the battle that's bothering you than, not meaning to be rude, but get over it. (I really don't mean that to sound rude, Sry if it does).

Lieutenant
Feb 15, 2014
the voice almost seems varied depending on
and class
it is most subtle in my opinion as a male privateer from marleybone

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Interesting. I always play with the sound off, so I haven't heard the new voices at all. I will have to experiment.

One of my favorite computer games, in days of yore, was the Baldur's Gate series, which allowed you several options for choosing voices for your characters (with very different attitudes, as well). Not only did the game come with a variety of options (six or seven for each gender, as I recall), but players made a bunch of their own and posted them online.

-Indigo

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Indigo Ring on Dec 16, 2014 wrote:
Interesting. I always play with the sound off, so I haven't heard the new voices at all. I will have to experiment.

One of my favorite computer games, in days of yore, was the Baldur's Gate series, which allowed you several options for choosing voices for your characters (with very different attitudes, as well). Not only did the game come with a variety of options (six or seven for each gender, as I recall), but players made a bunch of their own and posted them online.

-Indigo
I played that game, too! But it was a CD-ROM game, not like the MMO's we play, I bet it would take a massive amount of code and memory/space to implement it in P101.

Lieutenant
Jun 23, 2012
While I must admit, the noises are an interesting addition, I do find it annoying that whenever my character gets hit she sounds very high pitched. This annoys me for an entirely different reason though.

I know our pirates are young, but we can't be any younger than ten or eleven and I have yet to meet many younger girls with voices that high pitched. (Though this may be me saying this because I come from a family where my Mom's voice is actually deeper than my Dad's. While my own voice is not as deep, it's far deeper than a normal female's voice.) Anyways, considering that, if you listen to the male version it could pass as many ages, I think the girl's should be just a little deeper to add that same effort and to save my eardrums when I wear headphones and forget to mute battle sounds. (Though I hate to do so because I really do love how the sounds add to the whole experience of playing the game. At least the battle music for all worlds is pretty awesome.)