Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Post-Update Ratbeard is Too Good Confirmed

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
A while back, duelist101 made a wonderful guide for ol' Ratbeard that turned him into The Blob: an unstoppable wall that blocks everything and cannot be moved unless he wants to be moved. It involved Hold The Line 2 and Repeal Boarders 3, or Hold The Line 3 and Repeal Boarders 2. While at first I was reluctant to try this out, because I had given Blob-beard BS2 and didn't want that to go to waste, I tried it out after checking out a few other companion guides.

I was not disappointed.

Blob-beard stopped anything from getting past him, and could potentially waste an enemy's turn, if the AI had targeted someone past Blob-beard. I decided, okay, yeah, he's pretty darn good but I still wish I had Blade Storm 2. Suffice it to say, I kept him in my top 3 for quite a while, and he was essential to my Buccaneer-Squad roll out for Owen: Egg Shen, Hawkules, and Blob-beard.

Ohhh, but NOW.

NOW, Any companions you got before Level 15 that are past 45 essentially have three new epics.
THREE.
NOT ONE, NOT TWO, THREE.
THAT'S RIGHT FOLKS, TRES.

Now Blob-beard has Hold The Line 3, Repel Boarders 3, and Blade Storm 2.

He has TWO ACCURACY DEBUFFS JUST FOR MOVING NEXT TO HIM, and as a Privateer who uses the power of Discipline, he has a HUGE chances for criticals, especially when I put up Kraken's Coils and Shark's Fury.

Blob-beard is now amazing, confirmed.

Cpt. Cruel Owen Quarrel, Level 65 Arena Ace

Lieutenant
Feb 02, 2013
Cruel Owen Quarrel on Aug 16, 2015 wrote:
A while back, duelist101 made a wonderful guide for ol' Ratbeard that turned him into The Blob: an unstoppable wall that blocks everything and cannot be moved unless he wants to be moved. It involved Hold The Line 2 and Repeal Boarders 3, or Hold The Line 3 and Repeal Boarders 2. While at first I was reluctant to try this out, because I had given Blob-beard BS2 and didn't want that to go to waste, I tried it out after checking out a few other companion guides.

I was not disappointed.

Blob-beard stopped anything from getting past him, and could potentially waste an enemy's turn, if the AI had targeted someone past Blob-beard. I decided, okay, yeah, he's pretty darn good but I still wish I had Blade Storm 2. Suffice it to say, I kept him in my top 3 for quite a while, and he was essential to my Buccaneer-Squad roll out for Owen: Egg Shen, Hawkules, and Blob-beard.

Ohhh, but NOW.

NOW, Any companions you got before Level 15 that are past 45 essentially have three new epics.
THREE.
NOT ONE, NOT TWO, THREE.

He has TWO ACCURACY DEBUFFS JUST FOR MOVING NEXT TO HIM, and as a Privateer who uses the power of Discipline, he has a HUGE chances for criticals, especially when I put up Kraken's Coils and Shark's Fury.

Agreed, he is too strong. For PvP, you can have Hold 3, repel 2, and FS3 on Ratbeard. Probably the best Wall(tank/anti-melee) in the game right now. I use repel 2 because I actually use Dress the line to grant him repel 3

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Keep it!

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Lieutenant
Oct 11, 2012
Ratbeard is a great "Hold the Line" tank in PvP. However, Hold the Line 3 isn't necessary unless you want to play offensive as it subtracts the opponent's dodge. If you get him FS3, HtL3, and Bladestorm he is a very offensive companion while still acting like a tank. I agree that Duelist101's setup is amazing, I am just offering another setup that might work for people who are more comfortable with this one.

If you want to play defense, I would recommend getting him HtL2, RB3, and BS2. He can deal heavy damage with a Privateer's critical buffs, while still reducing the amount of damage your crew takes. Overall, Ratbeard is a great overlooked companion in pvp. The best counter to him is Musketeers, which destroy him quite easily, because his epics rarely take into effect with them (or Triton's Song doesn't effect guns).

Just putting my thoughts out there.

Petty Officer
Feb 27, 2009
Cruel Owen Quarrel on Aug 16, 2015 wrote:

I was not disappointed.

Ohhh, but NOW.

THREE.
NOT ONE, NOT TWO, THREE.

"THAT'S RIGHT FOLKS, TRES." Thought that was funny, especially since I have Spanish class now.

Good to hear this is worth it.

Quentin Davenport, lvl 65

Marcus Davenport, lvl 43