Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Leviathan's Call has lost it's Flare!

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
You heard it, leviathan's call is no longer the best defensive power in pvp. It has been replaced by valor's fortress, as, both at five rounds, leviathan's call doesn't protect you from magical damage, whilst fortress does.
This is a huge let down for buccaneers, who could use leviathan's calls multiple times then charge. Now, only at 5 rounds, you have to time it much more precisely to reap the rewards.

Suggestion:
Make Leviathan's call do something more. It will still do the normal -50% off melee and musket powers, but what if it changed to this:
-50% off Stabby, Slashy, Smashy and Shooty weapons + -25% off Stabby, Slashy, Smashy and Shooty weapons to all companions (regardless of their position) for 5 rounds.

I think that ^^ would make levy have some sort of competition with fortress, and they would be equal again. Other than that, making it 7 or 10 rounds again would also suffice.
Do you have any suggestions? Let me know in the replies!

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Merciless Jack Ramsey, 65
Merciless Cass Spencer, 63

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
DeathWiz101378 on Jul 30, 2014 wrote:
You heard it, leviathan's call is no longer the best defensive power in pvp. It has been replaced by valor's fortress, as, both at five rounds, leviathan's call doesn't protect you from magical damage, whilst fortress does.
This is a huge let down for buccaneers, who could use leviathan's calls multiple times then charge. Now, only at 5 rounds, you have to time it much more precisely to reap the rewards.

Suggestion:
Make Leviathan's call do something more. It will still do the normal -50% off melee and musket powers, but what if it changed to this:
-50% off Stabby, Slashy, Smashy and Shooty weapons + -25% off Stabby, Slashy, Smashy and Shooty weapons to all companions (regardless of their position) for 5 rounds.

I think that ^^ would make levy have some sort of competition with fortress, and they would be equal again. Other than that, making it 7 or 10 rounds again would also suffice.

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Well firstly, Ratbeard has said that he will not be making any changes because of pvp. Any battle interface changes that are made will be for just regular battles, not pvp. That'll all change when ranked PVP shows up.

As for Levy's Call, I gotta agree with ya, it has lost its glory. It's easier to use Valor's Fortress and just protect any companion or pirate from virtually all damage than to use Levy's call and only be able to protect myself from melee and gun damage. However, Levy's Call and the previous defensive powers can still remain useful to companions, but not so much for the player pirate.

So that's something I can at least agree on.

Ensign
Jun 16, 2013
DeathWiz101378 on Jul 30, 2014 wrote:

Suggestion:

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Just to throw my 2 cents worth in here. Valor's Fortress, which as you said is better then Leviathan's Call now, is available via gear to EVERY class in the game. By my understanding, at least 3 Valor Fortress gears per class. So Buccaneers have options outside of just Leviathan's Call for defense. Just wanted to say that.

Now, in regards to your talking about Buccaneers not being able to use their long time defensive tactics, I would like to point out a few things:

1) No class is able to use their long time strategies, or have you forgotten about all the other nerfs applied to so many buffs during the last update?

2) Buccaneers are now widely considered the best class in PvP. Myself having come up with a few strategies specifically designed to defeat them on my Privateer (all of which work extremely well, right up until the bucks ALWAYS make a miraculous comeback at the end and take the victory).
I have gone into more detail on my preferred strategy for such in this thread:
https://www.pirate101.com/forum/the-spar-chamber/-privy-are-on-bottom-of-food-chain-literally-8ad6a419468a166d014697b0e160021e

3) Based on my last 2 points, I would just finally like to say that Buccaneers, as it currently stands, does not need any help buff wise. When someone like myself puts so much time and thought into making strategies and tactics just to make up for a lack of class strength and yet still get stomped by reckless brutes who just copy what they saw the guy before them do. That's when you know there's a serious imbalance.

All of that said, remember that Ratbeard has stated on a number of occasions that they have not even begun to work on class balance for PvP (which they SERIOUSLY need to get on, PvP has been around for over a year and a half and is still unevenly matched). But again, that's just my 2 cents worth.

Silly Sebastian (,,)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
You have to change and develop strategy in PvP, because as soon as you develop a 'winning' strategy, someone will be developing a way to defeat it. About Valor's Fortress being such good protection, I have used Assassin's fog and then the next round Assassin's Strike to bring down a Valor's Fortress on Hawkules ( and the fact that I had First Strike and Riposte just made it that much easier ). So it's not a perfect protection.

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
PvP isn't meant to be balanced yet, the devs don't care about it until it goes ranked. They have much more pressing issues, such as Book (15?)

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
Silly Sebastian on Jul 31, 2014 wrote:
Just to throw my 2 cents worth in here. Valor's Fortress, which as you said is better then Leviathan's Call now, is available via gear to EVERY class in the game. By my understanding, at least 3 Valor Fortress gears per class. So Buccaneers have options outside of just Leviathan's Call for defense. Just wanted to say that.

Now, in regards to your talking about Buccaneers not being able to use their long time defensive tactics, I would like to point out a few things:

1) No class is able to use their long time strategies, or have you forgotten about all the other nerfs applied to so many buffs during the last update?

2) Buccaneers are now widely considered the best class in PvP. Myself having come up with a few strategies specifically designed to defeat them on my Privateer (all of which work extremely well, right up until the bucks ALWAYS make a miraculous comeback at the end and take the victory).
I have gone into more detail on my preferred strategy for such in this thread:
https://www.pirate101.com/forum/the-spar-chamber/-privy-are-on-bottom-of-food-chain-literally-8ad6a419468a166d014697b0e160021e

3) Based on my last 2 points, I would just finally like to say that Buccaneers, as it currently stands, does not need any help buff wise. When someone like myself puts so much time and thought into making strategies and tactics just to make up for a lack of class strength and yet still get stomped by reckless brutes who just copy what they saw the guy before them do. That's when you know there's a serious imbalance.

All of that said, remember that Ratbeard has stated on a number of occasions that they have not even begun to work on class balance for PvP (which they SERIOUSLY need to get on, PvP has been around for over a year and a half and is still unevenly matched). But again, that's just my 2 cents worth.

Silly Sebastian (,,)
I do agree with you, buccs can be somewhat overpowering especially against witches and muskets, i even have a hard time defeating them with a swashbuckler.
I didn't intend for the buffs to levy to help buccaneers, i was only thinking about the benifit to other classes with more gear with leviathan's call. Now that i think about it it's best if we leave it as it is, buccaneers are like 1/2 With swashbucklers in pvp (depending on how you play) atm.

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2013
anecorbie on Jul 31, 2014 wrote:
You have to change and develop strategy in PvP, because as soon as you develop a 'winning' strategy, someone will be developing a way to defeat it. About Valor's Fortress being such good protection, I have used Assassin's fog and then the next round Assassin's Strike to bring down a Valor's Fortress on Hawkules ( and the fact that I had First Strike and Riposte just made it that much easier ). So it's not a perfect protection.
What you're talking about is a different issue, which I like to call "nothing can save a Buccaneer from a buffed up Buckler!"