Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Is Fog unstoppable literally?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 21, 2013
Is there any way to to counter fog/hidden? I have been playing against mostly swashbucklers in test so far and I can't seem to find a way to stop fog/hidden. Do you guys know how? Oh and FYI- I'm not an advanced pvp player, I have only been "testing the water", so I don't know any of your secret tricks but I would like to know what they are . And I'm not trying to bash on any classes, just wondering.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Pumpkin Head on Jul 21, 2015 wrote:
Is there any way to to counter fog/hidden? I have been playing against mostly swashbucklers in test so far and I can't seem to find a way to stop fog/hidden. Do you guys know how? Oh and FYI- I'm not an advanced pvp player, I have only been "testing the water", so I don't know any of your secret tricks but I would like to know what they are . And I'm not trying to bash on any classes, just wondering.
Pop them out of hide before they use their attacks by triggering auto talent attacks. Over-watch, repel boarders, flanking, and cheap shot.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
Black Fog when used by a competent player is difficult to overcome. Some things you might try, depending on your class could be landing as many high powered ranged attacks as possible before they Fog. If you're a Musket carry a Sniper Shot and use Chantal's Sniper Shots to hit them hard at the very beginning. Then get in the corner and start shielding and setting traps as they approach. Muskets have several gear items available that provide Valor's Armor and Valor's Fortress. I would definitely recommend that you acquire some. If you're a Witch, hit them with your AoE attacks as they charge in. My Witch carries 4 Mojo Storms and can do a great deal of damage as Bucklers approach. When Mojo Storm goes super it does over 1,000 damage to every unit it hits. I am not the most experienced Privateer, but my tactic would be to get in the corner with Ratbeard at the point to halt enemies with his Hold the Line power. Then, as the Buckler approaches, use as many shields as you can along with Battle Zeal just before they get there. One thing that Bucklers are vulnerable to are ranged units. Often a Buckler will do the most damage with things like First Strike and Riposte. Ranged units don't trigger these things and are able to hit the Buckler with Overwatch and Readied Spell as they advance. On my Witch, I use Kan Po and Keisuke Yagi (both having their own hidden and heals) along with Bonnie who has a dodge reducing AoE that also does good damage. Fight fire with fire by having hiddens of your own. I carry at least one on all of my Pirates. I hope this helps and I also hope that someone else with more experience playing these classes responds because Swashbuckler is my main, although I have been successful in the past against some Bucklers with the tactics I described. Now, if you're a Buccaneer...um...sorry I gotta go.

Ensign
May 12, 2011
The only way i can avoid massive damage, is putting defenses on me and/or a crew member, or wait a round if they move up and hide

Fiery Jonathan Nightingale-Level 65

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
There was a way, when hide was able to end when taken damage. You could counter it with a grapeshot, gunnery, and bombs, but now there really is no way to counter it.

Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2010
Fog takes so much resources and honestly should be brought down to 3 turns, but this is what you can do at the least

1) Get Gladiator Gators from Empire Bundle/Walk in Dark which you can buy from the Bazaar
- The idea of this is once your enemy fogs you can hide your pirate so you can at least not worry about them killing your Pirate right away.

2) Moo Robe
- Again this power should be banner but it does help force Fog out as it's very overwhelming and they have to fog if they want to apply pressure quickly or else they'll get HtL/Vicious Charged so it should help make it so you can do step 1 ASAP

3) Scorpion Staff
- Great item as it forces the enemy to spend an extra turn getting units around it if they brought any 4 range units like Keisuke, Bonnie, etc. So hopefully you can stall a bit more and force positioning instead of them buffing

4) Scent Pet(s)
- R2 is at least what you need as it should help force them to redirect there units or wait for the pet to move its 2 range to them so they don't lose there hidden, though pets can't be a 100% counter due to the lack of reliability on them coming into battle early on when they fog and they could do as the enemy wants and just run straight in range of all the units where they'll not have to redirect around scent as you hope for. But in some cases it can make your enemy struggle amazingly

5 (+ Step 1) Protecting your Companions
- Once you force there Fog and go hide with your Pirate quickly protect your main unit(s)
The best team for most classes currently is Nausica, Goro, Baar. Obviously you will place your Forts in priority. For me Priority against Fog is my Nausica as she'll be the only companion able to hit the Pirate once they're in Elusive so its good to keep her alive so you can still win late game, next would be Baar because Veng 3 is amaze plus he can still sometimes hit once both him and the enemy are in elusive.

For Buccaneers you do the same but w/ out robe+staff
If you're a buckler fog after, simple.

Ensign
Oct 22, 2012
I can't seem to find a counter. There are so many swashbucklers too. I don't think I'll be doing a lot of ranked with this power. It's no fun going against it since every swashbuckler I faced uses it and takes my pirate out. Even with for. 3 super hits and an assassin strike under fog through a fort will take down anyone.

It really needs to be lowered to 1.5x damage or 3 rounds.

Ensign
Jan 21, 2013
Ok thanks for all the helpful tips! See you in the Skyways .

Ensign
Jan 21, 2013