Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Why is cool ranch so hated

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Feb 12, 2018
I've read through the message boards a lot and realize a lot of people hate this world. I don't understand as this is my favorite world so far i really love the western theme. i hated going back to skull island for the evil quests and because it made me leave cool ranch. Once i got back i had so much fun i went from thumbleweed to beating cool ranch the same day and port regal took me 2 days from the tedium and me not likeing the area that much. Please leave opinions on why a lot of the community feels this way i an intereted in knowing.

Jack level 55

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
Cool Ranch is my second favorite world, right after Marleybone, but there are 2 reasons i remember for players struggling to fully enjoy it.

First off, if i recall correctly there is a pretty nasty level spike in enemies just as Cool Ranch really begins. It's a far cry from insurmountable, but incautious play could surely result in a companion going down or even a wipe, especially against some of those bumbaloons. This isn't really that big a deal, but it's also generally the first impression a player might get of Cool Ranch. Having a not-so-great first impression like that isn't great for CR's reputation.

Second, Cool Ranch is ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE. If I'm remembering right, there are something like 6 individual skyways in CR, each with their own unique feel and aesthetic. I LOVE the vast feeling of Cool Ranch, but it's sheer size does take a hefty part in some player's feelings towards it. Nowadays, it's just a general feeling that CR lasts forever... but in the old days, before the stagecoach, CR was the absolute height of tedium. a simple fetch quest could eat up a ton of time. But the stagecoach exists now, and the latter half of this issue is resolved.

outside of those 2 issues, there isn't any reason I'm aware of for anyone to dislike CR.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ThePirate87351 on Feb 27, 2018 wrote:
I've read through the message boards a lot and realize a lot of people hate this world. I don't understand as this is my favorite world so far i really love the western theme. i hated going back to skull island for the evil quests and because it made me leave cool ranch. Once i got back i had so much fun i went from thumbleweed to beating cool ranch the same day and port regal took me 2 days from the tedium and me not likeing the area that much. Please leave opinions on why a lot of the community feels this way i an intereted in knowing.

Jack level 55
Cool Ranch is long, slow and it doesn't fit the pirate theme. We're playing Pirate101, not Cowboy101. Also, before the addition of the Stagecoach, many quests in that world had you sailing from one end to the other, often several times! This made it even more of a slog through even the main quests.
I enjoyed returning to Skull Island and I loved Port Regal. The ship battles were not any more of a chore than the ship battles in CR. I loved the Gilbert & Sullivan references scattered throughout the quest line and it had that "Piratey" feel that this game is based on.

Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2012
It seems to me that people like things that they can finish quickly...until they dont...like valencia 2 lol. When one sits back and just lets them self enjoy the story and world they may find the true splendor of cool ranch(or any world for that matter). Thats why I like to do all the sidequests too. I want to enjoy and get the most from the game I love. Cool Ranch rocks!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Avery Court Grace on Feb 27, 2018 wrote:
It seems to me that people like things that they can finish quickly...until they dont...like valencia 2 lol. When one sits back and just lets them self enjoy the story and world they may find the true splendor of cool ranch(or any world for that matter). Thats why I like to do all the sidequests too. I want to enjoy and get the most from the game I love. Cool Ranch rocks!
I'm very thankful I'm done with the whole thing ( and I did every side quest, too. ) I hope I NEVER have to go back ( unless our Magnificent Seven companions have a promotion quest there. ) * shudder *

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
ThePirate87351 on Feb 27, 2018 wrote:

Jack level 55
It just goes to show that there is something for everyone in the game, but not everyone will like everything there is. We may be pirates, but it's amazing how many pirates hate sailing on their ships.

I really like Cool Ranch, and I didn't mind sailing my ship from skyway to skyway, as it gave me time for crew tasking and inventory management, or I could divert for a minute and sink the Midnight Special for a bit of Nautical xp and maybe a good piece of ship equipment. Teleporters may be nice for cutting travel time, but shortcuts sometimes remove opportunity for bonuses.

Rooster Cogburn is one of my favorite NPC's in the game, and I love doing his side quests. I am so glad we get to recruit him.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
It is big and long, and for people who like variety and seeing new things, that may be part of the dislike. I liked the characters and story there,(and the wonderfully funny references to so many old westerns!) but the long sails, before the stagecoach ran, were a bit dreary. Some people like the desert scenery, but for me, it works better in small doses. If I have to take a long sail, I'd rather be doing it in Mooshu, such a lovely skyway. Some parts of Mooshu show areas in different seasons. If Cool Ranch had an area showing the desert in riotous springtime bloom, with flowering cactus and meadows of prairie flowers, and a few arroyos with water flowing in them, with the spring plants by them, that would have made me like it better and been welcome contrast with other areas of Cool Ranch.

Ensign
Jan 26, 2013
I enjoyed Cool Ranch for the most part. Though it being so much a western did kind of take the Pirate feel away for awhile. I think some areas just work better for some players than others do. I am in MooShu now and I am really digging it but I am sure that some people find that area equally as long and annoying as Cool Ranch.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Willowydream on Feb 28, 2018 wrote:
It just goes to show that there is something for everyone in the game, but not everyone will like everything there is. We may be pirates, but it's amazing how many pirates hate sailing on their ships.

I really like Cool Ranch, and I didn't mind sailing my ship from skyway to skyway, as it gave me time for crew tasking and inventory management, or I could divert for a minute and sink the Midnight Special for a bit of Nautical xp and maybe a good piece of ship equipment. Teleporters may be nice for cutting travel time, but shortcuts sometimes remove opportunity for bonuses.

Rooster Cogburn is one of my favorite NPC's in the game, and I love doing his side quests. I am so glad we get to recruit him.

I have met people who like those desert scenes, too.

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
Cause it's not the classic Doritos flavor.

Jk, I love cool ranch doritos.

Wait we're talking about the world?

Part of the reason for me is that it takes months for me since I don't play 6 hours a day, mostly 30 minutes - 3 and a half hours and there are several quests I just couldn't find myself sitting down and doing in less than a week. One thing in it's credit though, there aren't a million ship battles. If I'm correct, most of the ship battles are from sidequests.