Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Give the Yuletide Companions Promotions!

AuthorMessage
Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
On the day of posting, it is the first birthday of the Spirits of Yuletide. And I am a bit disappointed.

The Spirits of Yuletide have no promotions, an only half-decent Epic Talent set, and the Spirit of Receiving is still garbage! I remember being excited about them and getting them on the first day they were out, but I am going to be honest, they are not worth it. Please, please, PLEASE give them promotions so they are good (and fix the Spirit of Receiving). I spent 8000 Crowns on them!

And what about the other Yuletide Companions? Why does only Holly Jolly Roger have a promotion? Surely it can't be that hard to design a Promotion! Nikeeta can be better than my Yule Trogg, and she costs 1000 Crowns less! I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say that I'm getting tired of waiting. If it's not too late to do so, PLEASE make them actually competent.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Many of us have asked, begged, pleaded over the past 11 months. Apparently more people were interested in the addition of half a dozen new pet names.

However, the more we keep asking, maybe one day an answer will appear.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Lookit Light on Dec 12, 2018 wrote:
On the day of posting, it is the first birthday of the Spirits of Yuletide. And I am a bit disappointed.

The Spirits of Yuletide have no promotions, an only half-decent Epic Talent set, and the Spirit of Receiving is still garbage! I remember being excited about them and getting them on the first day they were out, but I am going to be honest, they are not worth it. Please, please, PLEASE give them promotions so they are good (and fix the Spirit of Receiving). I spent 8000 Crowns on them!

And what about the other Yuletide Companions? Why does only Holly Jolly Roger have a promotion? Surely it can't be that hard to design a Promotion! Nikeeta can be better than my Yule Trogg, and she costs 1000 Crowns less! I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say that I'm getting tired of waiting. If it's not too late to do so, PLEASE make them actually competent.
And the witchdoctor beast companions...and any other companion that has NEVER had a promotion! These companions don't need a story promotion, just pay gold and we all have gold now, aye?

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
anecorbie on Dec 12, 2018 wrote:
And the witchdoctor beast companions...and any other companion that has NEVER had a promotion! These companions don't need a story promotion, just pay gold and we all have gold now, aye?
Yes, yes yes! I have a list of companions that simply NEED some interest!

Bison Hunter

Bison Chief

Black Storm Elder

Black Storm Hunter

Chicken Miner

Chicken Sheriff

Crab Hermit

Crazy Monquistador

Dan Drake

Eagle Archer

Eagle Hoplite

Eagle Mercenary

Froggo Villa

Ghost Singer

Hawkules (Quest, please!)

Helephant Destroyer

Horse Crossbowman

Inoshishi Necromencer

Jim Masterson

Ju Hao

Lefty

Lost Ranger

Masamune Goto

Monkey King (Quest for him, too!)

Monquistador Initiate

Monquistador Sharpshooter

Monquistador Veteran

Monterey Jack

Mustang Rowdy

Mustang Gaucho

Nadya

Nanu Nanu

Nurse Quinn

Oingo Boingo

Pig Raider Crossbowman

Romba

Rooster Cogburn

Samocles

Samoorai Musketeer

Serpent Auger

Shiruku Neko

Skyfire

Stormy Sky

All Yuletide Companions except Holly Jolly Roger

Taro Moomori

Thunder Hoof

Toreador Maestro

Water Mole Slingman

Weasel Gambler

Yakooza Enforcer

There is a serious case of neglect here! They simply must have interest!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Lookit Light on Dec 13, 2018 wrote:

Bison Hunter

Bison Chief

Black Storm Elder

Black Storm Hunter

Chicken Miner

Chicken Sheriff

Crab Hermit

Crazy Monquistador

Dan Drake

Eagle Archer

Eagle Hoplite

Eagle Mercenary

Froggo Villa

Ghost Singer

Helephant Destroyer

Horse Crossbowman

Inoshishi Necromencer

Jim Masterson

Ju Hao

Lefty

Lost Ranger

Masamune Goto

Monquistador Initiate

Monquistador Veteran

Monterey Jack

Mustang Rowdy

Mustang Gaucho

Nadya

Nanu Nanu

Nurse Quinn

Oingo Boingo

Pig Raider Crossbowman

Romba

Rooster Cogburn

Samocles

Samoorai Musketeer

Serpent Auger

Shiruku Neko

Skyfire

Stormy Sky

Taro Moomori

Thunder Hoof

Toreador Maestro

Water Mole Slingman

Weasel Gambler

Yakooza Enforcer

But some of those on your list have had at least one promotion. For example the Monquistador Initiate and the Yakooza Enforcer. The Toreador has had at least two.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
anecorbie on Dec 13, 2018 wrote:
But some of those on your list have had at least one promotion. For example the Monquistador Initiate and the Yakooza Enforcer. The Toreador has had at least two.
Oh. I was more judging by their level... but you're right.

Still, those that don't do need them! (forgot to mention: Argos)

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
anecorbie on Dec 13, 2018 wrote:
If I remember correctly, the Toreador only has one.

But YES, if any companion needs a promo, it's the Yuletide companions. I was very disappointed to see that after spending $20 in crowns these companions are just utter garbage. Not even the mouse or cat are worth putting into combat. Strange epic combinations and poor stats really make just a disappointment.

Oh, and I agree with that list of companions Lookit Light 1000%. Some of these guys I really enjoy using and because they don't have any or little promos to keep up I'm forced to leave them benched because they've been no match for the VA2 enemies (excluding a few I've managed to keep alive, but that's just luck).

I hope after years these Cool Ranch companions get some, but before that happens, change your most recent Xmas guys first. Give them the promotions they so desperately need or this pack is surely a waste of money and only companion collectors will see their worth.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I have said this before and I'll say it again - the Yuletide Spirits are NOT "utter garbage", I frequently choose to use both the Mouse and Cat in epic battles, and I enjoy seeing the Dog appear in random combat.( Or are you speaking from a PVP perspective? If I may voice a heresy, PVP isn't the main part of this game & not all companions should be for PVP combat. )

But I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement and that they do need their promotions.
I like all my Cool Ranch companions ( yes, even Nurse Quinn ) and they, too, would be the better for a promotion.
However, The Witchdoctor beast companions have really lagged behind in all aspects of game play. The batacuda ( the first of these ) ought to get a promotion, at least.

Petty Officer
Sep 19, 2013
anecorbie on Dec 15, 2018 wrote:
I have said this before and I'll say it again - the Yuletide Spirits are NOT "utter garbage", I frequently choose to use both the Mouse and Cat in epic battles, and I enjoy seeing the Dog appear in random combat.( Or are you speaking from a PVP perspective? If I may voice a heresy, PVP isn't the main part of this game & not all companions should be for PVP combat. )

But I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement and that they do need their promotions.
I like all my Cool Ranch companions ( yes, even Nurse Quinn ) and they, too, would be the better for a promotion.
However, The Witchdoctor beast companions have really lagged behind in all aspects of game play. The batacuda ( the first of these ) ought to get a promotion, at least.
There's a difference between "this companion isn't as good as the others for PvP" and handicapping yourself on purpose. Why use this companion when I can use a top tier companion that will make the battle faster?

Petty Officer
Sep 19, 2013
Personally, I think that the Yuletide companions could be at least decent given their power loadouts, but with limited epics they're not going to be as good as top tier companions, full stop. If the dog got a promotion or two and upgraded his charge to Brutal of Vicious, he would be pretty cool. The mouse appears to have no powers and mediocre epics. The cat seems OK as well but could really use more epics/powers.

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010

Bison Hunter

Bison Chief

Black Storm Elder

Black Storm Hunter

Chicken Miner

Chicken Sheriff

Crab Hermit

Crazy Monquistador

Dan Drake

Eagle Archer

Eagle Hoplite

Eagle Mercenary

Froggo Villa

Ghost Singer

Helephant Destroyer

Horse Crossbowman

Inoshishi Necromencer

Jim Masterson

Ju Hao

Lefty

Lost Ranger

Masamune Goto

Monquistador Initiate

Monquistador Veteran

Monterey Jack

Mustang Rowdy

Mustang Gaucho

Nadya

Nanu Nanu

Nurse Quinn

Oingo Boingo

Pig Raider Crossbowman

Romba

Rooster Cogburn

Samocles

Samoorai Musketeer

Serpent Auger

Shiruku Neko

Skyfire

Stormy Sky

Taro Moomori

Thunder Hoof

Toreador Maestro

Water Mole Slingman

Weasel Gambler

Yakooza Enforcer

Lefty was the only companion mentioned that I actually take into battles, mainly because he's the only one with capabilities to hold his own, pretty sad, IMO.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Robobot1747 on Dec 16, 2018 wrote:
There's a difference between "this companion isn't as good as the others for PvP" and handicapping yourself on purpose. Why use this companion when I can use a top tier companion that will make the battle faster?
Because you already have many top tier companions. These Yuletide companions do the job, they're quite good in my estimation.
But I'm NOT arguing that they shouldn't have a promotion; just that they're NOT garbage.

And since that mouse has a heal then she's useful to me as a swashbuckler ( having an extra companion who heals is a plus! )
Post Edit: and I'm in no way "handicapping" myself choosing these companions.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
witchdoctor of awe... on Dec 16, 2018 wrote:
Lefty was the only companion mentioned that I actually take into battles, mainly because he's the only one with capabilities to hold his own, pretty sad, IMO.
If I were shopping for another musketeer for my swashy, he would be my top pick!

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
I, for one, have tried in the past to make the lesser companions i own better. And often failed. I have had some success, notably with Monkey King and Tyson, but sadly there are just better options out there. These fellows do show some interesting features, such as the Black Storm Elder being self-sufficient and the Spirit of Returning having a unique version of Hurl Blades, but in general, almost all the companions I've listed need a promotion and a power.
I can envision them having unique battle strategies - especially the Spirits of Yuletide - if only they could be recognized as having that potential hidden inside them and given a promotion.

As for the Witchdoctor Beast companions, a promotion for them just doesn't work with the fact that their beasts. But, I do think that they can still be bettered. Give them rare Epic Talents such as Merciless (for the Batacuda), Poisonous (for Scorpious and the Sky Snake), Feeding Frenzy (for El Tiburon), Bloodsucker (for Madclaw), Death Throes (for the Crokagator), and Eagle Eyes (for Nikeeta). To allow this to be incorporated into their talent pool, they should also get an extra Epic Talent upon recruitment.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Lookit Light on Dec 17, 2018 wrote:
I, for one, have tried in the past to make the lesser companions i own better. And often failed. I have had some success, notably with Monkey King and Tyson, but sadly there are just better options out there. These fellows do show some interesting features, such as the Black Storm Elder being self-sufficient and the Spirit of Returning having a unique version of Hurl Blades, but in general, almost all the companions I've listed need a promotion and a power.
I can envision them having unique battle strategies - especially the Spirits of Yuletide - if only they could be recognized as having that potential hidden inside them and given a promotion.

As for the Witchdoctor Beast companions, a promotion for them just doesn't work with the fact that their beasts. But, I do think that they can still be bettered. Give them rare Epic Talents such as Merciless (for the Batacuda), Poisonous (for Scorpious and the Sky Snake), Feeding Frenzy (for El Tiburon), Bloodsucker (for Madclaw), Death Throes (for the Crokagator), and Eagle Eyes (for Nikeeta). To allow this to be incorporated into their talent pool, they should also get an extra Epic Talent upon recruitment.
Just because they're beasts doesn't mean they shouldn't have a promotion, they're not pets so don't give them pet powers.

Their appearances could be up-graded and they can be given names. Of all the beast recruits, only Scorpius has a true name. And I mean only the ones WD recruit, not the unlocked crown shop beasts.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
anecorbie on Dec 18, 2018 wrote:
Just because they're beasts doesn't mean they shouldn't have a promotion, they're not pets so don't give them pet powers.

Their appearances could be up-graded and they can be given names. Of all the beast recruits, only Scorpius has a true name. And I mean only the ones WD recruit, not the unlocked crown shop beasts.
Maybe. I can see how that might not work out, especially if you had the Grizzly Beast companions. But I still can't think of how you'd give the Witchdoctor Beast Companion's promotions. And why not Nikeeta, Madclaw, and El Tiburon, too?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Lookit Light on Dec 19, 2018 wrote:
Maybe. I can see how that might not work out, especially if you had the Grizzly Beast companions. But I still can't think of how you'd give the Witchdoctor Beast Companion's promotions. And why not Nikeeta, Madclaw, and El Tiburon, too?
Oh you misunderstood me, I meant to give the beast recruits names ( from a promotion ), as the crown shop beasts already have names, it wouldn't be necessary - of course they should have promotions, too!
These beast companions are either Buccaneers or Swashbucklers; they should get those class specific powers.
As for poison, this is a swash power, likely, Scorpius could get Assassin's Mist ( after all, Eep Op Ork Ah Ah has this ). Or a buccaneers Charge?

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
anecorbie on Dec 19, 2018 wrote:
Oh you misunderstood me, I meant to give the beast recruits names ( from a promotion ), as the crown shop beasts already have names, it wouldn't be necessary - of course they should have promotions, too!
These beast companions are either Buccaneers or Swashbucklers; they should get those class specific powers.
As for poison, this is a swash power, likely, Scorpius could get Assassin's Mist ( after all, Eep Op Ork Ah Ah has this ). Or a buccaneers Charge?
Ah, I understand now. Names!

Batacuda -> Striped Batacuda -> Great Batacuda

Sky Snake -> Gliding Snake -> Soaring Snake

Crockagator-> Elder Crockagator

Scorpius: Scorpion -> Stalking Scorpion -> Death-stinger Scorpion

El Tiburon: Sky Shark -> Storm Shark -> Thundering Storm Shark

Nikeeta: Skarakeet -> Spooky Skarakeet -> Scary Skarakeet -> Savage Skarakeet

Madclaw: Bloodbat -> Big Bloodbat -> Big Bad Bloodbat -> Big Bad Boss Bloodbat

With each promotion it would look older and slightly larger

The Batacuda would have Epic Strike -> Mega Strike -> Super Strike

The Sky Snake would have Sneak Attack -> Back Stab -> Assassin's Strike

Scorpius should have Swashbuckler's Strike -> Swashbuckler's Stab on second promotion

El Tiburon should have Super Charge -> Mega Charge -> Super Charge

Nikeeta should have a unique power that allows her to attack up to two times if no-one blocks. Similar to Reckless Frenzy, but with a limit. +1 amount of attacks for this power with each promotion

Madclaw Should have a power that creates toxic pools in random locations on the map that operate similar to the geysers and lava pools in Cool Ranch, if anyone remembers them. It starts with two pools, and adds one for each promotion.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Back to what I first made this for. I think the Yule Trogg would be best with Back Stab (to utilize his Troggy poison) which would become Assassin's Strike on promotion. For his second promotion, he could have Assassin's Gloom (he could utilize something like that better that Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah ever could).

The Mistle Toad would already be good, if he just had promotions. Then this Santa Claus wannabe could be more like Tricky Vinny! (who is not at all like Santa Claus)

The Holliday Treant could have Valor's Rampart, or maybe Tower of Iron Will. And Epic Strike!

Prince Yulefest could have Grape Shot, which would improve to Case Shot and than Canister Shot as he promotes.

The Spirits of Yuletide just need promotions. And a fixed Spirit of Receiving.

Holly Jolly Roger can be left out. He's already good.

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2015
Lookit Light on Dec 12, 2018 wrote:

If the Spirit of Receiving were fixed, I could actually see using him for PVP. He would be one of the few companions available to non-'s that would feature a charge (other than Goro and Nausica).

I have found that he's very handy for grinding low-level stuff like Gortez. His charge lets him quickly get to the pedestals, which speeds things up a lot. His lack of epics does kinda put a damper on it all though.

Still, I do enjoy bringing out the cat one if Emmet is on bedrest (for the movement debuff), or the mouse when I think I'll need another heal for a particularly tough fight.

Please fix the ghost puppy. I would be much obliged.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
PiratePablo1 on Jan 2, 2019 wrote:
If the Spirit of Receiving were fixed, I could actually see using him for PVP. He would be one of the few companions available to non-'s that would feature a charge (other than Goro and Nausica).

I have found that he's very handy for grinding low-level stuff like Gortez. His charge lets him quickly get to the pedestals, which speeds things up a lot. His lack of epics does kinda put a damper on it all though.

Still, I do enjoy bringing out the cat one if Emmet is on bedrest (for the movement debuff), or the mouse when I think I'll need another heal for a particularly tough fight.

Please fix the ghost puppy. I would be much obliged.

You have gotten to the root of the problem. The Spirit of Returning has lain dormant and useless for over a year! WHY Kingsisle didn't fix this the moment word of it spread is beyond me, but a year! He is the worst of the lesser companions right now, it's time to fix him.

Ensign
Nov 09, 2017

Bison Hunter

Bison Chief

Black Storm Elder

Black Storm Hunter

Chicken Miner

Chicken Sheriff

Crab Hermit

Crazy Monquistador

Dan Drake

Eagle Archer

Eagle Hoplite

Eagle Mercenary

Froggo Villa

Ghost Singer

Helephant Destroyer

Horse Crossbowman

Inoshishi Necromencer

Jim Masterson

Ju Hao

Lefty

Lost Ranger

Masamune Goto

Monquistador Initiate

Monquistador Veteran

Monterey Jack

Mustang Rowdy

Mustang Gaucho

Nadya

Nanu Nanu

Nurse Quinn

Oingo Boingo

Pig Raider Crossbowman

Romba

Rooster Cogburn

Samocles

Samoorai Musketeer

Serpent Auger

Shiruku Neko

Skyfire

Stormy Sky

Taro Moomori

Thunder Hoof

Toreador Maestro

Water Mole Slingman

Weasel Gambler

Yakooza Enforcer

A lot of these companions have promotions in that list though

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Withdoctor Nellis on Jan 8, 2019 wrote:
A lot of these companions have promotions in that list though
I focus on Epic Talents and general survivability. Despite having promotions, they are hardly usable, being overshadowed by storyline companions.