Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Lessening Greater Companions.

AuthorMessage
Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
I am going to continue vouching for Lesser Companions - with a twist this time. I would like to discuss the companions that can be maddeningly overpowered. I currently have three companions to talk about: Old Scratch, Commander Emmet, and Nausica.

Now, the problem at hand is not in their Epic Talent pool - actually, it's quite normal - but rather in their powers. Specifically, the quantity of them.

The problem with Old Scratch is not in Doom Mojo. It uses both sides of the coin and isn't a fault. He first rose to fame with the introduction of his Mojo powers. When you first get him, he has Mojo Flow, when he first promotes, he gets Mo Mojo Flow, and for his second promotion, Flow, Mojo, Flow! The problem? They're all there at the same time, so they can be spammed for greater effect. A similar problem is in Commander Emmet's slowing powers, and Nausica's Critical Strikes. They're all there at the same time! The solution is obvious: have only one of them.

What I mean is Old Scratch would only have Flow, Mojo, Flow!, Commander Emmet would only have Maelstrom, and Nausica would only have Super, and maybe Mega Strike. This would help bring them into alignment with everyone else.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Lookit Light on Jan 15, 2019 wrote:
I am going to continue vouching for Lesser Companions - with a twist this time. I would like to discuss the companions that can be maddeningly overpowered. I currently have three companions to talk about: Old Scratch, Commander Emmet, and Nausica.

Now, the problem at hand is not in their Epic Talent pool - actually, it's quite normal - but rather in their powers. Specifically, the quantity of them.

The problem with Old Scratch is not in Doom Mojo. It uses both sides of the coin and isn't a fault. He first rose to fame with the introduction of his Mojo powers. When you first get him, he has Mojo Flow, when he first promotes, he gets Mo Mojo Flow, and for his second promotion, Flow, Mojo, Flow! The problem? They're all there at the same time, so they can be spammed for greater effect. A similar problem is in Commander Emmet's slowing powers, and Nausica's Critical Strikes. They're all there at the same time! The solution is obvious: have only one of them.

What I mean is Old Scratch would only have Flow, Mojo, Flow!, Commander Emmet would only have Maelstrom, and Nausica would only have Super, and maybe Mega Strike. This would help bring them into alignment with everyone else.
No, and for these reasons:
Firstly as to Nausica; her attacks are balanced by the fact that she must use them in a melee situation. She is face to face with the opponents & without protections she is likely to be defeated as she has under-par dodge and armor. Plus since Nausica is a bundle companion, she ought to be out of the ordinary because players are paying real money for her.

Commander Emmett is very weak in epics and those slow down powers aren't effective on small or medium battle-boards. It depends on line of sight and if the opponents are any way "hidden" by obstacles, it's not very useful. He is used mostly for his group heal ( Emerson doesn't get this power ).
Old Scratch's Flow Mojo Flow lasts only 3 turns, reducing him to just this one power really weakens him. Plus as a WD, he's not very tough, or strong so those extra Mojo powers are useful for him and other WD/Privy companions.
This post sounds to me as if you would like to reduce the abilities of WDs and Privys in PVP.
Now let's talk about how powerful Chantal is with 2 sniper shots that can hit anywhere on the battle board plus a critical strike AND skyspirit buff! Maybe she should only have one sniper shot and NO buff at all.( This last is irony, I have no intention to ask for Chantal or any companion to be reduced in power. )

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I think I agree with anecorbie that this is a PvP-balance sort of thread -- NOBODY is "maddeningly overpowered" against enemies that aren't other pirates.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
anecorbie on Jan 16, 2019 wrote:
No, and for these reasons:
Firstly as to Nausica; her attacks are balanced by the fact that she must use them in a melee situation. She is face to face with the opponents & without protections she is likely to be defeated as she has under-par dodge and armor. Plus since Nausica is a bundle companion, she ought to be out of the ordinary because players are paying real money for her.

Commander Emmett is very weak in epics and those slow down powers aren't effective on small or medium battle-boards. It depends on line of sight and if the opponents are any way "hidden" by obstacles, it's not very useful. He is used mostly for his group heal ( Emerson doesn't get this power ).
Old Scratch's Flow Mojo Flow lasts only 3 turns, reducing him to just this one power really weakens him. Plus as a WD, he's not very tough, or strong so those extra Mojo powers are useful for him and other WD/Privy companions.
This post sounds to me as if you would like to reduce the abilities of WDs and Privys in PVP.
Now let's talk about how powerful Chantal is with 2 sniper shots that can hit anywhere on the battle board plus a critical strike AND skyspirit buff! Maybe she should only have one sniper shot and NO buff at all.( This last is irony, I have no intention to ask for Chantal or any companion to be reduced in power. )
Thanks for your opinion. I can agree with what you're saying, mostly. Three Mojo Powers for Old Scratch is still overpowered. I've seen people boost their Old Scratch and then deal thousands of damage with Jobu's Kiss. Two, maybe, but three is putting it on for me.

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
I can poke a few holes in the Old Scratch and Emmet sets.
Scratch's wouldn't matter. he'd still be top tier for farming.
Giving Emmet only his slows still makes him serve his purpose (the same for exeter) He can still do overwatch3/grit3 hits
not sure on nausica but pvp experts can fit the bill on that.

Also, Doom Mojo shouldn't be a power scratch can use, the fact that it still is useable in pve saddens me. I've went into beachhead (bishop) fight and completely one tapped everyone in it, including my own comps (pirate was safe with a fort + absorb)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Lookit Light on Jan 16, 2019 wrote:
Thanks for your opinion. I can agree with what you're saying, mostly. Three Mojo Powers for Old Scratch is still overpowered. I've seen people boost their Old Scratch and then deal thousands of damage with Jobu's Kiss. Two, maybe, but three is putting it on for me.
And how does this bother you? If we're talking PvE, then doing that kind of damage is good thing, especially in VA2.
If you're talking PvP, then take your argument there.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
witchdoctor of awe... on Jan 16, 2019 wrote:
I can poke a few holes in the Old Scratch and Emmet sets.
Scratch's wouldn't matter. he'd still be top tier for farming.
Giving Emmet only his slows still makes him serve his purpose (the same for exeter) He can still do overwatch3/grit3 hits
not sure on nausica but pvp experts can fit the bill on that.

Also, Doom Mojo shouldn't be a power scratch can use, the fact that it still is useable in pve saddens me. I've went into beachhead (bishop) fight and completely one tapped everyone in it, including my own comps (pirate was safe with a fort + absorb)
Well then don't use Doom Mojo in a team situation - if you want to "one tap" a boss do it solo, that way no one gets mad at you for "killing" all their companions and putting them on bed rest!

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
anecorbie on Jan 17, 2019 wrote:
Well then don't use Doom Mojo in a team situation - if you want to "one tap" a boss do it solo, that way no one gets mad at you for "killing" all their companions and putting them on bed rest!
I don't use it in a team situation, but what's stopping an avery troll from doing so?

It's a cheat ability. How would wiz fare if we could get an amulet that gave us the 4k meteor from jabberwock every 4 turns? Or a weapon that grants kanes "deadly frenzy" ability? PCs dont get cheat abilities for a reason.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
anecorbie on Jan 17, 2019 wrote:
As I said, Doom Mojo uses both sides of the same coin, so it isn't a problem. The Mojo powers are the issue here. If you don't think they should be limited to just one or two, Anecorbie, then what do you propose should be done?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Lookit Light on Jan 17, 2019 wrote:
As I said, Doom Mojo uses both sides of the same coin, so it isn't a problem. The Mojo powers are the issue here. If you don't think they should be limited to just one or two, Anecorbie, then what do you propose should be done?
There's nothing wrong with Old Scratch's Mojo buffs, so nothing ought to be done. Doom Mojo, as demonstrated by Witchdoctor of Awesomeness is a problem. No one had any problem with Old Scratch until KI gave him Doom Mojo.
Since it's extremely unlikely that Doom Mojo would be removed, I think a "nerf" is in order - have that power damage only the enemy or reduce the damage to "friendlies" on the battle board.

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
Lookit Light on Jan 17, 2019 wrote:
Revamp Witchdoctor comps as a whole.

The way I see it, we can go two ways on revamping them.

1. Spells

2. Stats

Through Spells, I'd split the witchdoctor comps into two categories, Aggressive Companions (Mormo/Scratch/Augur/Carc), and Defensive (Hermit/Inoshishi Necromancer, others)

Through Revamping them spell wise, Aggressive Companions would be revamped to be more aggressive with attacks (They would Get 1 Storm, Mournsong, and crit reduce. Or an Embrace/Mournsong/Reduce. They start at the tiered 1 ability (Ghost Wail, strike, etc) and go up through each promotion. Gives them things to do that don't involve fizzling)
While our defensive comps will be revamped to slow the enemy (They would each get 1 Widows Touch, 1 additional summon that will be upgraded through promotions, example would be Skeletal Pirate > Corsair > Stygian Chorus, but also gets the crit reduces, which I think they should share with the aggressive companions) These companions would be used to use summons, reduces, and slows to halt enemy advances.

Or, through Stats.

Accuracy would be buffed, Mojo Rising would be an available epic for all witchdoctor companions. But also somewhat breaks the spirit of a witchdoctor, which is fighting with spells, which is why I prefer the spell style or revamping them. Course, this probably would never work.

(On another note: I think a change of locking the spell buffs to Carcarius would be another decent addition, but not the thread for it.)