Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

The many Easter Eggs in Pirate101

AuthorMessage
Administrator
In Search of Yum on Feb 11, 2020 wrote:
I never realized until I was talking to my elderly parents the other day - Bat Masterson was actually a real person!

Who knew

I mean sure we know community manager Bat Masterson but in real life - Bat Masterson was Batholemew William Barclay a US Army scout, lawman, professional gambler, and journalist known for his exploits in the 19th and early 20th century American Old West.

Really? Wow! That's an interesting history!

Ensign
Apr 08, 2017
anecorbie on Feb 10, 2020 wrote:
I'm sorry, Sneaky Fallon, but that Argleston is in Cool Rand at the Silver Spur saloon. Another W101 reference is Nigel Weathersfield ( related to Arthur? ) in the Medusa's Cave.
Were you talking about Nobert Argleston or Harold Argleston? If you were talking about Nobert Argleston, he is in the Lyceum in Nova Aquila. I saw him in there with a table of treasure cards in front of him. I think he's alone in a room in there. I found out about him when I was on pirate101central, just in case you were wondering.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
sneaky fallon on Feb 11, 2020 wrote:
Were you talking about Nobert Argleston or Harold Argleston? If you were talking about Nobert Argleston, he is in the Lyceum in Nova Aquila. I saw him in there with a table of treasure cards in front of him. I think he's alone in a room in there. I found out about him when I was on pirate101central, just in case you were wondering.
Oh yeah, I forgot about him; he's in one of the side rooms ( heh, my bad! )

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
sneaky fallon on Feb 11, 2020 wrote:
I never knew there was a Nobert! I thought Desmond was the only other Argleston...

Ensign
Apr 08, 2017
Another Easter Egg is Sarah Steele's last promotion quest The Curse of the Black Pearl. It might be a reference to Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.

Ensign
Apr 08, 2017
Does anyone know if the bladestorm epic talent is a reference to a spell in Wizard101 called bladestorm?

Ensign
Apr 08, 2017
In Ratbeard's last promotion quest, it has a reference to Scrooge from Charles Dicken's A Christmas Carol.

Ensign
Apr 08, 2017
The bison of Cool Ranch might be a reference to Native Americans.

Ensign
Apr 08, 2017
The quest Laestragon With the Wind is a reference to Gone With The Wind.

Ensign
Feb 23, 2013
[Insert Poultrygeist joke from Miranda here]

Not necessarily anything historical, unless you count the movie "Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead" made in 2006.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Rose2708 on Feb 26, 2020 wrote:
[Insert Poultrygeist joke from Miranda here]

Not necessarily anything historical, unless you count the movie "Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead" made in 2006.
Lol, never heard of that one! I thought it was simply a pun/reference to Poltergheist

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2009
This topic reminded me of an old thread on Pirate101 Central. (gosh, I miss the good ol' days when @Blind Mew was able to post and share his thoughts...)

It wasn't confirmed, but Peabotz provided a great explanation of the inspiration for the character of Death in Miranda.

Anyway - here's the link, enjoy: http://www.pirate101central.com/forums/showthread.php?28278-Easter-Eggs-in-Pirate101/page2

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
The pet Asmodeus Poisonteeth may be a reference to a character in the book Redwall by Brian Jacques. In the book, there is a deadly puff adder keeping a legendary sword among its hoarded possessions. This adder's name is Asmodeus, and it is often referred to as "the poisonteeth."

Bosun
Aug 10, 2011
I can't believe that I almost forgot this, but believe it or not the companion and NPC Lefty of Cool Ranch, as well as his friend Pancho, are a reference to the country song " Pancho and Lefty".

Bosun
Aug 10, 2011
Lookit Light on Mar 10, 2020 wrote:
The pet Asmodeus Poisonteeth may be a reference to a character in the book Redwall by Brian Jacques. In the book, there is a deadly puff adder keeping a legendary sword among its hoarded possessions. This adder's name is Asmodeus, and it is often referred to as "the poisonteeth."
Seems to add up a bit too well...

Ensign
Mar 23, 2018
Bat Masterson on Jan 23, 2020 wrote:
An excellent list! I've pinned this post, let's see if we can find any more of these in the game... I'm sure there are a few :).
I've found an excellent easter egg in Cool Ranch, Cooper's Roost, located right next to the sheriff building's door. There is a wanted poster offering 500 gold for the capture of 'Warty Willy' . Got me laughing for a bit.

Ensign
Mar 23, 2018
Lookit Light on Mar 10, 2020 wrote:
I enjoyed Redwall back when books weren't magnetically repelled from my body, but KI should definitely make a rat boss with the name along the lines of 'Cluny the Scourge'.

Bosun
Aug 10, 2011
Aceonia on Apr 11, 2020 wrote:
I've found an excellent easter egg in Cool Ranch, Cooper's Roost, located right next to the sheriff building's door. There is a wanted poster offering 500 gold for the capture of 'Warty Willy' . Got me laughing for a bit.
Speaking of wanted posters, nothing ever leads you to this so I am going to count it as an Easter egg, just a cool background prop.

In Santo Pollo, several wanted posters for El Toro can be found.

Commodore
Feb 12, 2015
Aceonia on Apr 11, 2020 wrote:
I enjoyed Redwall back when books weren't magnetically repelled from my body, but KI should definitely make a rat boss with the name along the lines of 'Cluny the Scourge'.
I would love a Redwall reference! It's one of my favorite novels!

Petty Officer
Nov 23, 2019
Most of you may know this, but, Aquila is based off greek mythology.

Marleybone was based off of Maryland I think.

Skull island was based off of a fort I think, a pirate fort.

Monquista is based off France.

Mooshu is based off japan's samurai era

Cool ranch is based off of the old west AND the famous heroes that helped Spain in it's tough times.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Amazingshot123 on May 1, 2020 wrote:
Most of you may know this, but, Aquila is based off greek mythology.

Marleybone was based off of Maryland I think.

Skull island was based off of a fort I think, a pirate fort.

Monquista is based off France.

Mooshu is based off japan's samurai era

Cool ranch is based off of the old west AND the famous heroes that helped Spain in it's tough times.
Aquila has also Roman mythology and references.

Marleybone is Victorian Great Britain ( not Maryland ).

The entirety of Skull Island is based on the Caribbean.

Monquista is Imperial Spain.

MooSho has also Chinese and some Korean references.

Bosun
Aug 10, 2011
anecorbie on May 1, 2020 wrote:
Aquila has also Roman mythology and references.

Marleybone is Victorian Great Britain ( not Maryland ).

The entirety of Skull Island is based on the Caribbean.

Monquista is Imperial Spain.

MooSho has also Chinese and some Korean references.
MooSho is mainly has Japanese references. Samurai were Japanese soldiers, which are much of the soldiers we meet, and MooSho's architecture and general structure is based off of 9th to 13th century Japan and its folklore.

For example, Kobe Yojimbo its a reference to the Japanese movie Yojimbo. Much like the movie, Kobe is a masterless rōnin. The Kirin that roam the skyways are from Japanese folklore. There are some smaller Chinese and Korean references. Like Lo Pan of the Temple of the West Wind is a reference to the movie Big Trouble in Little China.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
chiliman05 on May 4, 2020 wrote:
MooSho is mainly has Japanese references. Samurai were Japanese soldiers, which are much of the soldiers we meet, and MooSho's architecture and general structure is based off of 9th to 13th century Japan and its folklore.

For example, Kobe Yojimbo its a reference to the Japanese movie Yojimbo. Much like the movie, Kobe is a masterless rōnin. The Kirin that roam the skyways are from Japanese folklore. There are some smaller Chinese and Korean references. Like Lo Pan of the Temple of the West Wind is a reference to the movie Big Trouble in Little China.
Wing Chung ( a method of martial arts created by Bruce Lee ) Chinese in origin, Kan Po and a host of other Chinese names. The Amber Horde is based on the Mongolian raiders who invaded China, led by Gengis Khan. There are a enough Chinese references in MooShu to make this a double reference to Eastern cultures.

The costumes the Goat women wear are definitely Korean in origin.
P.S. Ki-rin are Chinese in origin, it is said one appeared to Confusius' mother before he was born.

Bosun
Aug 10, 2011
anecorbie on May 5, 2020 wrote:
Wing Chung ( a method of martial arts created by Bruce Lee ) Chinese in origin, Kan Po and a host of other Chinese names. The Amber Horde is based on the Mongolian raiders who invaded China, led by Gengis Khan. There are a enough Chinese references in MooShu to make this a double reference to Eastern cultures.

The costumes the Goat women wear are definitely Korean in origin.
P.S. Ki-rin are Chinese in origin, it is said one appeared to Confusius' mother before he was born.
Egg Shen as a Goose Master wears a traditional Kimono.

The costumes the goat women wear don't look like Hanboks. They seem to be more like the traditional garment women wore in china during the early 3rd to 13th century.

The Yakooza are based off of the real life Yakuza gang.

Governor Yakamura has a Japanese name and traditional Japanese garment.

Oddly enough, I can't put my finger on what the Great Turtle Cao Tzu (his name is a mix of both Cao Cao and Sun Tzu) is on. The turtle is either from Hindu or Chinese mythology. I can't say for certain which because both have very similar depictions of a giant turtle.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
chiliman05 on May 6, 2020 wrote:
Egg Shen as a Goose Master wears a traditional Kimono.

The costumes the goat women wear don't look like Hanboks. They seem to be more like the traditional garment women wore in china during the early 3rd to 13th century.

The Yakooza are based off of the real life Yakuza gang.

Governor Yakamura has a Japanese name and traditional Japanese garment.

Oddly enough, I can't put my finger on what the Great Turtle Cao Tzu (his name is a mix of both Cao Cao and Sun Tzu) is on. The turtle is either from Hindu or Chinese mythology. I can't say for certain which because both have very similar depictions of a giant turtle.
Cao Tzu is based on the Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu. Still, I say there are enough references to both cultures for MooShu to not be a single culture reference.
The great turtle's name is Maruzame ( yes, sounds Japanese ) The Moodha ( Boodah , forgive spelling, please ) Philosophy came from India. ( Possibly by way of Tibet ).
So there are other cultures besides Japan represented.