Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Why are new items added in updates so bad?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Sep 04, 2013
Downgrade gear is kinda a trend I’ve noticed in the last 3 major updates to the game.

First we have the party barge, the party barge’s only drops of note are some of Kane’s gear and some new ship gear. Problem is the ship gear is just worse then what we have, max level pirates getting level 58 no auction ship gear that is just worse than what’s in the bazaar. So the party barge quickly became dead content only done for quick gold or by badge hunters.

Then there was the December update which added some new ship horns from a deadly new boss ship in the ship pvp zone. The new ship horns had some pretty cool animations but for some reason despite being dropped by an unsoloable max level ship they were level 30 gear that was just straight downgrades for max levels, the only people who would try to fight such a ship. Despite people bringing this up in the forums it was never changed and we ended up with more dead content.

Finally, we have 4 new skeleton key bosses. Let’s be real here, 3/4 bosses have absolute garbage for drops. You’d be better off using bazaar gear from the Tower of Moo Manchu, a dungeon that came out years ago then you would be using any of Old Scratch’s, Brass Monkey’s, or Captain Blood’s gear(aside from the blood flames outfit, which is functionally the same as the old one). Even Death’s hat and boots are debateable if they’re good because they for some reason give mid level powers instead of the max level ones, which is odd considering this is end game content. The stat boosts these items give really aren’t good either, boots that don’t give dodge, Death’s hat only gives +3 resist and +7 will. I could go into a lot more detail about what’s wrong with each of these bosses gear, but I already did in my now deleted test realm post and I don’t feel like typing it out again.

I just can’t help but wonder why? I made a lengthy feedback post when this was still in the test realm about the drops but the only notable change that happened was Duck Of Death’s coat being nerfed to be less useful to hybrids. Do you need some suggestions for what some of this gear should give or something? Because a lot of this gear is just downgrades compared to what’s in the bazaar. I can follow up with suggestions if you really need me to.

Community Leader
100% agree with you on the reward power level of the party barge and the ship pvp stuff. There is one top tier wheel that drops from the party barge, but it's the exception, not the rule.

On the skeleton bosses, I agree with the notion that Scratch and Brass Monkey have pretty weak drops. I can see how some players (people who only do PvE content casually) would think the Monkey's gear is kind of cool, since the stats are quite solid, but obviously not worth a slot for much more than casual play. Old Scratch's gear is kind of a joke imo. Jobu's breath is just not a good power in pve or pvp, and the best piece of gear from Scratch, the wand, is completely outclassed by all 6 range wands, all of the champion weapons (relevant if you're judging these for pvp), and the nefarious staff (again, relevant if you're judging on pvp usability). It's pretty much equal to the high level 5 range bazaar wands, give or take some weapon power, so it's not like it's super desirable for those who don't have the aforementioned wands. I think it could be improved greatly if the wand gave Jobu's Kiss or Embrace.

Captain Blood on the other hand, actually drops good gear. The obsidian jacket is easier to farm imo than the original jacket, provided you have a team of 4 and a decent amount of keys between yourselves to start (Scratch melts captain blood and blood himself drops keys somewhat often). The hook is super good, as it's the only will based weapon in game that provides repel boarders (allowing privy to get repel 3 without a specific pet or repel 5 without being strength based). It also has a riposte grant, which combos nicely with repel and/or overwatch reduces. Sure, the damage is low, but having 2 epics on a weapon is unprecedented and KI must have not wanted to push the stats too much.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
This is the single largest problem for Pirate101 right now. There is little incentive for level 70 pirates to keep playing this game.

Unless your a badge collector (or a PvP pet collector), each update only provides about 15 mins of content.

I have maxed out every class at level 70 and currently attempting to collect all the badges, but the badge collecting is repetitive, tiring and more of a chore than fun.

Ensign
Jul 12, 2016
Friendly Jesse Pew on Sep 15, 2018 wrote:
Downgrade gear is kinda a trend I’ve noticed in the last 3 major updates to the game.

First we have the party barge, the party barge’s only drops of note are some of Kane’s gear and some new ship gear. Problem is the ship gear is just worse then what we have, max level pirates getting level 58 no auction ship gear that is just worse than what’s in the bazaar. So the party barge quickly became dead content only done for quick gold or by badge hunters.

Then there was the December update which added some new ship horns from a deadly new boss ship in the ship pvp zone. The new ship horns had some pretty cool animations but for some reason despite being dropped by an unsoloable max level ship they were level 30 gear that was just straight downgrades for max levels, the only people who would try to fight such a ship. Despite people bringing this up in the forums it was never changed and we ended up with more dead content.

Finally, we have 4 new skeleton key bosses. Let’s be real here, 3/4 bosses have absolute garbage for drops. You’d be better off using bazaar gear from the Tower of Moo Manchu, a dungeon that came out years ago then you would be using any of Old Scratch’s, Brass Monkey’s, or Captain Blood’s gear(aside from the blood flames outfit, which is functionally the same as the old one). Even Death’s hat and boots are debateable if they’re good because they for some reason give mid level powers instead of the max level ones, which is odd considering this is end game content. The stat boosts these items give really aren’t good either, boots that don’t give dodge, Death’s hat only gives +3 resist and +7 will. I could go into a lot more detail about what’s wrong with each of these bosses gear, but I already did in my now deleted test realm post and I don’t feel like typing it out again.

I just can’t help but wonder why? I made a lengthy feedback post when this was still in the test realm about the drops but the only notable change that happened was Duck Of Death’s coat being nerfed to be less useful to hybrids. Do you need some suggestions for what some of this gear should give or something? Because a lot of this gear is just downgrades compared to what’s in the bazaar. I can follow up with suggestions if you really need me to.
I think most of the new gear is definitely underpowered, for level 70 content. Don't get me wrong, English Bill's new robe and boots are awesome, but everything else could use a tune-up imo. I guess I'll go over some of the changes I'd personally like to see.

Duck of Death -- As I said earlier, most of this gear is really nice. I think the hat's 3 jobu's kisses could be upgraded to jobu's embraces to keep in line with the power scale we should be seeing this late in the game.

Captain Blood -- The hook was handled very well, it's a slashy weapon and was changed to be will based, as slashy weapons should be (seeing dreadnaught and Moo updates). The robe is a new way for his flames to be acquired, thumbs up from me. As per the hat and boots, I believe they're just stat upgrades of the level ~30 gear. What I'd do is change the hat to summon 5 level 70 corsairs at once (similar to the Hydra's drops, and boosted by will), and have the boots grant 3 Davy Jone's Reach (like the duck of death drops).

Old Scratch -- I can't say anything good about this gear to be honest, I was hoping for much better for the witch class, but this does give me a chance to throw out some ideas. I think improved mobility powers would be my best suggestion. Witchdoctor is a class that (in some respect) controls haste. I'd give one of these powers to each the hat, robe, and boots: An AOE Widow's Touch, an AOE Raven's Cry, and an AOE Shadow Step (okay that one could be a bit unbalanced, but maybe make it your range plus 1 (same scale as Eye Swarm) and only for adjacent units like Fog, I think it would be fine. The wand could also be buffed with jobu's embrace, but if these are taken into account I don't think it's really needed.

Brass Monkey -- I think stat gear does do it for some, not for me really but I think it does have its niche. There are just some things that won't be done because of constraints, I'd leave his gear as is.

New gear should also scale with the max level stat wise. Thoughts?