Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Idea for Privateers & Epic Talents

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Oct 13, 2010
My ideas on why Privateers should be able to fight in open combat, since they are not designed for such purposes. To sum things up with simple points:

• Privateers are enabled to "lead" their allies into battle.
  • They are able to boost their troops' stats and heal them when injured.
  • They have very high health, but deal little damage overall.
  • Privateers are armored, so technically they are "tank" characters, because they have high health as well and are set up with healing spells but are not designed to deal damage at the cost.
  • Privateers are almost defenseless without their companions when it comes to PvP, depending on their gear (If they have gear that gives powers like "Assassin's Strike" or "Vicious Charge", for they most part they can defend themselves actively until all powers are gone, then are in need of an epic talent)

I understand that I might not realize how much of an advantage a Privateer has, but maybe a custom talent or epic in place could prevent being almost defenseless, with regards to Repel Boarders and Cheap Shot. I think that in order for a Privateer to be a "leader" for their troops, it's hard to believe that any class could lead but not be able to fight in that sense, anyway. I'm probably wrong when I say this, but chances are a Swashbuckler could be a better captain and leader even without healing spells or stat-boosting spells in the array, especially when hiding them and those around them with Black Fog.

TBH, I can't say anyone has or will agree, but do you think Privateers should be allowed an epic talent or power

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
moses3345 on Mar 24, 2017 wrote:
My ideas on why Privateers should be able to fight in open combat, since they are not designed for such purposes. To sum things up with simple points:

• Privateers are enabled to "lead" their allies into battle.
  • They are able to boost their troops' stats and heal them when injured.
  • They have very high health, but deal little damage overall.
  • Privateers are armored, so technically they are "tank" characters, because they have high health as well and are set up with healing spells but are not designed to deal damage at the cost.
  • Privateers are almost defenseless without their companions when it comes to PvP, depending on their gear (If they have gear that gives powers like "Assassin's Strike" or "Vicious Charge", for they most part they can defend themselves actively until all powers are gone, then are in need of an epic talent)

I understand that I might not realize how much of an advantage a Privateer has, but maybe a custom talent or epic in place could prevent being almost defenseless, with regards to Repel Boarders and Cheap Shot. I think that in order for a Privateer to be a "leader" for their troops, it's hard to believe that any class could lead but not be able to fight in that sense, anyway. I'm probably wrong when I say this, but chances are a Swashbuckler could be a better captain and leader even without healing spells or stat-boosting spells in the array, especially when hiding them and those around them with Black Fog.

TBH, I can't say anyone has or will agree, but do you think Privateers should be allowed an epic talent or power
Moses! Moses! Moses! Bless you! My dear friend, every time we get a fun new ability we are nerfed. Your such a nice person.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
Hello! My main pirate is a level 70 privateer, so I have had a fair amount of experience with this class.

Privateers main strong point is buffing up their companions and increasing others stats so they can charge in whilst the privateer is commanding and healing from the back. Privateers are more meant to sit in the back and manage their companions because when your companions are dead you are dead. But, to contrast this disadvantage, the amount of buffs privateers are able to give to their companions is a great advantage. So, to get to my point, privateers already are more leading and management based and do not NEED another talent.
(Although, it would be nice considering the ones we have are pretty useless)

That's all I have to say and see you in the spiral.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DuranteRamses87 on Mar 24, 2017 wrote:
Moses! Moses! Moses! Bless you! My dear friend, every time we get a fun new ability we are nerfed. Your such a nice person.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
Define "nerf", Dante. Neither Blast of Discord nor Battle Zeal was reduced in damage. They still do what they were designed to do.
That being said, why do Privateers believe it's necessary that they get to hit someone? They're already at the top in PVE and near the top in PVP.
I've soloed my priv. throughout this game, you have soloed both Moo Tower and Kane as a Privateer!
This class was designed to make their companions "all they can be". Now you want the cake and to eat it too.
Maybe I should ask for a buff to swashies that doesn't disappear the moment it's used!

Community Leader
As someone who has done a fair deal of ranked pvp, I don't believe privateers "need" extra offensive talents. With a pet that grants repel boarders privies have access to repel boarders 3, which is a very helpful defensive epic talent. In addition, they can utilize pet grants and the secret trainers to get relentless 2, which can increase damage output. A privateer pirate is not supposed to be used aggressively. They deal damage slowly and steadily, punishing the opponent for every move he makes. The goal is to utilize one's buffs to win companion trades and pressure the opposition. Even if you fail to win these trades, hope is not lost. An ideal privateer gear set often runs 5 Valor's fortress item cards, and a similar number of heals that make your longevity greater than any other class. In addition, privateers often use the Death's Bargain eyepatch, which helps to deal some damage, as well as aid in surviving the late game. If a privateer can survive their opponents guaranteed hits with forts, heals, and death's bargain drains, they can close out the match with an assassin.

tldr: Privateers aren't designed to burst down their opponents (and shouldn't be). They must win the resource war and companion trades, and achieve victory in the late game.

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
anecorbie on Mar 25, 2017 wrote:
Define "nerf", Dante. Neither Blast of Discord nor Battle Zeal was reduced in damage. They still do what they were designed to do.
That being said, why do Privateers believe it's necessary that they get to hit someone? They're already at the top in PVE and near the top in PVP.
I've soloed my priv. throughout this game, you have soloed both Moo Tower and Kane as a Privateer!
This class was designed to make their companions "all they can be". Now you want the cake and to eat it too.
Maybe I should ask for a buff to swashies that doesn't disappear the moment it's used!
Oops typo! I meant to say they were not reduced in damage!

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
The primary problem with privateers going in and mixing it up is that every round they do is a round they cannot heal or do other buffs.

This does kind of fly in the face of companions who are privateers but don't have much in terms of buffs and heals. They are almost forced to go into combat, and I'm never sure if I should give them strength, agility, or will. Seems odd that will will help an attack...

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
You need either the Manticores Sting (Repel i believe) or a grants Repel for Repel 3, good defensive epic, also, Kane gear gives Hold, and just getting a set give you hold 3, Repel + Hold 3 is deadly. Grants Relentless, + Trainer relentless will give you relent 2 anyway.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Max DeGroot on Mar 26, 2017 wrote:
The primary problem with privateers going in and mixing it up is that every round they do is a round they cannot heal or do other buffs.

This does kind of fly in the face of companions who are privateers but don't have much in terms of buffs and heals. They are almost forced to go into combat, and I'm never sure if I should give them strength, agility, or will. Seems odd that will will help an attack...
In the first year and a half of P101, Strength was considered the major stat, now it's Will. Train your Privy companions for their Will stat.