Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Smuggler's Arena Cooldown

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Jul 18, 2016
Ahoy everyone! So recently, I was doing Smuggler's Arena for scrip. That's all good, our arena run went smoothly and I got my scrip and "got out of there" as Scriptop the dog told me to do. After my run was done, my team and I decided to do another run right after. So we did that, but the second time around I did not get any scrip because I was the one who talked to Scriptop and started the arena the first time around. I know how Smuggler's Arena works, but I decided to test it to see if it was true and sure enough, it was. The person that starts the Smuggler's Arena and talks to Scriptop suffers a two hour cooldown, where they can run the Smuggler's Arena, but are unable to gain scrip after. Can someone please explain what the point of the two hour cooldown is? People like me love the Smuggler's Arena and I have a team that I do it with so it's rather unfair that the person who started the arena suffers a 2 hour cooldown penalty and is unable to gain scrip. What if I want to do multiple runs back to back? I'm usually the one that starts the arena since I have a lot of companions to spare on my Witchdoctor in case some die, but it's not fair to me that I suffer a cooldown while the rest of my team gains scrip. Please, in future updates, consider removing the cooldown on the Smuggler's Arena. The only thing the cooldown does is discourage people from going first and starting the arena dungeon, which ultimately leads to no arena run at all.
Sincerely,
Stormy Elijah Silver (Max Swashbuckler)
Corrupt Zane Silver (Max Privateer)
Dark Blaze Sharp (Max Witchdoctor)
Sly Brady Silver (Level 23 Musketeer-in-Training)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
crimsonreaper5 on Aug 12, 2017 wrote:
Ahoy everyone! So recently, I was doing Smuggler's Arena for scrip. That's all good, our arena run went smoothly and I got my scrip and "got out of there" as Scriptop the dog told me to do. After my run was done, my team and I decided to do another run right after. So we did that, but the second time around I did not get any scrip because I was the one who talked to Scriptop and started the arena the first time around. I know how Smuggler's Arena works, but I decided to test it to see if it was true and sure enough, it was. The person that starts the Smuggler's Arena and talks to Scriptop suffers a two hour cooldown, where they can run the Smuggler's Arena, but are unable to gain scrip after. Can someone please explain what the point of the two hour cooldown is? People like me love the Smuggler's Arena and I have a team that I do it with so it's rather unfair that the person who started the arena suffers a 2 hour cooldown penalty and is unable to gain scrip. What if I want to do multiple runs back to back? I'm usually the one that starts the arena since I have a lot of companions to spare on my Witchdoctor in case some die, but it's not fair to me that I suffer a cooldown while the rest of my team gains scrip. Please, in future updates, consider removing the cooldown on the Smuggler's Arena. The only thing the cooldown does is discourage people from going first and starting the arena dungeon, which ultimately leads to no arena run at all.
Sincerely,
Sly Brady Silver (Level 23 Musketeer-in-Training)
Count your blessings, the cool-down for this gauntlet was once 12 hrs.!

Captain
Apr 24, 2016
anecorbie on Aug 12, 2017 wrote:
Count your blessings, the cool-down for this gauntlet was once 12 hrs.!
are you kidding me? that is nuts!

Ensign
Apr 28, 2016
I missed out cause I just learned about this, and honestly, it's frustrating. "Punishing" someone for using something they paid for is ridiculous, plus the fact that there's no timer icon in game for it or anything on it in game itself comes across as sneaky, and from what I've found, this is the only topic related to this on the message boards. If I'd known about this when I bought it, well, I wouldn't have bought it.

But like crimsonreaper asked: Why exactly is there even a timer on this? If it gave crowns or something crazy I could understand, but smuggler's is currently the best place to get scrip that isn't completely redundant. (Regatta is more trouble than it's worth.) I just don't see the necessity of it, unless in some weird way this is supposed to punish people who use engine? If there's a legit reason for this, it'd be nice to know so we can understand.

On top of that, since tower is going to go premium when I last looked at the upcoming update notes, that means smuggler's is going to be the only "long" dungeon high leveled, non member players have access to. I think the timer needs to go completely.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
TheCashmania on Sep 22, 2017 wrote:
I missed out cause I just learned about this, and honestly, it's frustrating. "Punishing" someone for using something they paid for is ridiculous, plus the fact that there's no timer icon in game for it or anything on it in game itself comes across as sneaky, and from what I've found, this is the only topic related to this on the message boards. If I'd known about this when I bought it, well, I wouldn't have bought it.

But like crimsonreaper asked: Why exactly is there even a timer on this? If it gave crowns or something crazy I could understand, but smuggler's is currently the best place to get scrip that isn't completely redundant. (Regatta is more trouble than it's worth.) I just don't see the necessity of it, unless in some weird way this is supposed to punish people who use engine? If there's a legit reason for this, it'd be nice to know so we can understand.

On top of that, since tower is going to go premium when I last looked at the upcoming update notes, that means smuggler's is going to be the only "long" dungeon high leveled, non member players have access to. I think the timer needs to go completely.
The fact that this housing gauntlet is a companion "killer" & the fact that when you leave the arena, you're in Avery's Court causes me to believe there may be a sound technical reason for a cool down timer.
However, some of your points are valid and a visible timer or warning on the gauntlet itself might be useful.
Personally, I find it difficult enough finding players that want to do one run, let alone extras.

Lieutenant
Jul 18, 2016
TheCashmania on Sep 22, 2017 wrote:

To add to what you said, TheCashmania, the only thing the Smuggler's Arena timer does is discourage people from talking to Scriptop and going first in the arena. It is true that the person who talks to Scriptop gains the benefits to make the first move and the benefit to use 3 companions in the Smuggler's Arena instead of 1, but at the cost of a 2 hour Smuggler's Arena cooldown to where they are unable to earn Scrip, due to the fact that they talked to Scriptop and went first in the Arena. Even if someone else starts another run, the person that went first last run CANNOT gain scrip, from the experiments that I have tested out. Like I said, what is the point of even having a cooldown on the Smuggler's Arena? Since very few people know about the cooldown punishment of going first, it's easy to get someone to start the arena, but I can't say the same in the future when more people are aware of the 2 hour cooldown for going first. All this does is discourage people from going first, which leads to no arena run at all. And like you said, Tower of Moo Manchu is going to be members only after the update, so non-member maxes are left with Smuggler's Arena to entertain themselves. The cooldown seems pointless to me. Why punish us for something we paid crowns for to get? It's not like the Smuggler's Arena awards Crowns or anything, just lots of Scrip. In short, since Tower of Moo Manchu is becoming members only, the Smuggler's Arena cooldown needs to go completely. I completely agree with you, TheCashmania.

Sincerely,
Sly Brady Silver (Level 37 Musketeer-in-Training)
Merciless Toby Silver (Level 20 Buccaneer-in-Training)

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Non-member maxes will still have the Dreadnaught, don't forget that.

Lieutenant
Jul 18, 2016
RRRRZZZZ419 on Sep 23, 2017 wrote:
Yes, but personally I find Dreadnaught to be more trouble than it's worth for the time that you invested in it, because first you need a HUGE fleet of ships to actually sink the Dreadnaught dungeon into submission then you have to take the extra step and board it and defeat a huge fleet of level 70 Armada enemies. I don't do Dreadnaught anymore because I, like many other people out there in Pirate101, dislike ship combat and having to sink a tough level 70 dungeon just for a chance at Haywire weapons isn't exactly time efficient. Smuggler's Arena is better to invest time in because it's not completely redundant and you get a ton of scrip out of it. That's why the Smuggler's Arena timer needs to go, since it's one of the few max level dungeons that isn't completely boring to do and actually worth it to invest time in doing. Also, I don't find it fair that the timer still applies to the person who went first if they surrender. I started an Arena run last night on my Witchdoctor and our team rage quit and fell apart, which led to us surrendering and I saw the timer still applied for me. I don't think it's fair that I have to wait 2 hours even though I only got 26 Scrip out of it. I'll say it again. The Smuggler's Arena timer needs to go away forever. It's just not fair punishing someone for something they paid crowns for to get.

Sincerely,
Sly Brady Silver (Level 37 Musketeer-in-Training)
Merciless Toby Silver (Level 20 Buccaneer-in-Training)

Ensign
Apr 28, 2016
RRRRZZZZ419 on Sep 23, 2017 wrote:
No point in doing dreadnaught once you have all the unique loot though I: There's nothing left for me to get there that's worth farming.

Ensign
Apr 28, 2016
anecorbie on Sep 23, 2017 wrote:
The fact that this housing gauntlet is a companion "killer" & the fact that when you leave the arena, you're in Avery's Court causes me to believe there may be a sound technical reason for a cool down timer.
However, some of your points are valid and a visible timer or warning on the gauntlet itself might be useful.
Personally, I find it difficult enough finding players that want to do one run, let alone extras.
I'm not sure it's a technical issue. A "timer" can't just appear in a game unless it's put in. And as you've said before, it supposedly used to be 12 hours instead of 2. The only way I could see this being a technical issue is if the dungeon reset is set up within a time frame, but that'd be kinda weird for ki to do since no other dungeon has a set amount of time between times you can run it. That's like a timer on Tower.

At the same time, given the odd things ki has done in the past however, it also wouldn't surprise me at this point.