Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Talking about Companions

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Everyone has certain favorites when it comes to their crew. Even I, though I use the "First Mate" set up for companion choice, have favorites I'm glad to see when they show for a battle.
But out of my ( now 40+ ) crew I have only 3 I refuse to use, however that doesn't mean that they haven't been field tested, ( frequently! ) leveled and promoted - they're ready to go if something horribly tragic happens to the rest of the crew.
I wonder why so many players ignore or pass over all these wonderful companions and stick to an "In Order" set up?
As a result of much thinking on the subject, I've decided to open this discussion thread; YOU tell me what companion you think really sucks and I'll tell you something wonderful about them and why you should give them a chance. ( If I can. )

Just some advice: Don't have your favorites risking their health for every battle, after all, we have many little mob battles that can be easily handled by even third tier companions, save your favorites ( or best ) for those important dungeons/boss battles.
Let the discussion begin!
Note: This discussion is for PVE ONLY and has nothing to do with any form of PVP - that's why it's in the Tavern and NOT the Spar Chamber.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I don't think I have any companions I refuse to use. But I think this is a great thread to give folks a chance to talk about the less-well-known members of their teams.

I think the last time my buccaneer had Madame Nadya on his team, he received a few comments. What do you think of Nadya?

Lieutenant
Jan 27, 2015
Let me start off by saying, I am a returning player so my opinion will be based on what I remember from "back in the day". I have started a new account and my "new" musketeer is at the end of Cool Ranch.

The Worst companion(s) that I remember from my first go around back in the day were what the game refers to as the Magnificent Seven. I personally have another name for them and to me, it doesn't matter which one you pick of the Seven. I was never a fan of any of them. The one thought that I think is the most useless though of the Magnificent Seven would be Jane Canary.

However, since I do plan once again to go through the game with each of the classes any tips on trying to improve any of the Magnificent companions would be much appreciated.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
anecorbie on Jul 16, 2018 wrote:
Everyone has certain favorites when it comes to their crew. Even I, though I use the "First Mate" set up for companion choice, have favorites I'm glad to see when they show for a battle.
But out of my ( now 40+ ) crew I have only 3 I refuse to use, however that doesn't mean that they haven't been field tested, ( frequently! ) leveled and promoted - they're ready to go if something horribly tragic happens to the rest of the crew.
I wonder why so many players ignore or pass over all these wonderful companions and stick to an "In Order" set up?
As a result of much thinking on the subject, I've decided to open this discussion thread; YOU tell me what companion you think really sucks and I'll tell you something wonderful about them and why you should give them a chance. ( If I can. )

Just some advice: Don't have your favorites risking their health for every battle, after all, we have many little mob battles that can be easily handled by even third tier companions, save your favorites ( or best ) for those important dungeons/boss battles.
Note: This discussion is for PVE ONLY and has nothing to do with any form of PVP - that's why it's in the Tavern and NOT the Spar Chamber.
Well, aside from the Nurse Quinn that everyone hates, my worst is probably the random name generated Crab Hermit. What's so awesome about him? XD

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Wow, you guys did choose some stinkers!
Nadya the Horse Gypsy: Buccaneer recruit ( available in Crown Shop ) Privateer class, that should tell you that she's much more viable as a support member rather than a hitter. Bucks have so many good hitters that having a companion who can heal is a true bonus. Keep her to the back or near an extra tough companion. As a privateer she can learn Witchhunter and have more ranks in officer than normally allowed.
I gave mine spooky4, Resistant4, Spirited4 and Rough2 for that extra bit of damage. I'm hoping that a future promotion will give her a group heal ( and maybe an attack. )
Jane Canary: Privateer recruit ( available in Crown Shop ) Musketeer class. I must admit, I don't like Jane but this only personality wise - I hate her voice! She has a better range than most of the Magnificent Seven, for her use of a rifle opposed to pistols. She gets Musketeer's Mastery which reduces the Will of a target, very useful against Witchdoctors & Privateers
I gave mine an extra rank of True Grit, Double Tap2, Quick Adjust, Overwatch and Tough4 ( muskieteers are squishy! )
The Crab HermitAttempted Javascript Attack With COLOR
I'm hoping that a future promotion will improve him.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
In Search of Yum on Jul 16, 2018 wrote:
Let me start off by saying, I am a returning player so my opinion will be based on what I remember from "back in the day". I have started a new account and my "new" musketeer is at the end of Cool Ranch.

The Worst companion(s) that I remember from my first go around back in the day were what the game refers to as the Magnificent Seven. I personally have another name for them and to me, it doesn't matter which one you pick of the Seven. I was never a fan of any of them. The one thought that I think is the most useless though of the Magnificent Seven would be Jane Canary.

However, since I do plan once again to go through the game with each of the classes any tips on trying to improve any of the Magnificent companions would be much appreciated.
Wow, the Magnificent Seven? And Jane Canary? I personally thought she was the best out of them.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Helpful Aurora Par... on Jul 17, 2018 wrote:
Well, aside from the Nurse Quinn that everyone hates, my worst is probably the random name generated Crab Hermit. What's so awesome about him? XD
I believe he was recruited to keep us swashbucklers humble. But my point about these "lesser" companions isn't that they're awesome, but that they're useful; that you don't have to rage-quit the game when your favorites go on an extended bed rest.
Consider that swashbucklers don't recruit a large amount of Witchdostors ( 3) or privateers ( 3 ) 4 if they get Lucky Jack Russell, having a companion with Witchhunter is a plus ( no matter how sucky the companion is otherwise. )
And Nurse Quinn is actually pretty good, if you remember NOT to use her like a buccaneer companion - she's support crew. When the update arrives, I'll be moving her from "Tasking" into active combat.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
anecorbie on Jul 17, 2018 wrote:
Wow, you guys did choose some stinkers!
Nadya the Horse Gypsy: Buccaneer recruit ( available in Crown Shop ) Privateer class, that should tell you that she's much more viable as a support member rather than a hitter. Bucks have so many good hitters that having a companion who can heal is a true bonus. Keep her to the back or near an extra tough companion. As a privateer she can learn Witchhunter and have more ranks in officer than normally allowed.
I gave mine spooky4, Resistant4, Spirited4 and Rough2 for that extra bit of damage. I'm hoping that a future promotion will give her a group heal ( and maybe an attack. )
Jane Canary: Privateer recruit ( available in Crown Shop ) Musketeer class. I must admit, I don't like Jane but this only personality wise - I hate her voice! She has a better range than most of the Magnificent Seven, for her use of a rifle opposed to pistols. She gets Musketeer's Mastery which reduces the Will of a target, very useful against Witchdoctors & Privateers
I gave mine an extra rank of True Grit, Double Tap2, Quick Adjust, Overwatch and Tough4 ( muskieteers are squishy! )
The Crab HermitAttempted Javascript Attack With COLOR
I'm hoping that a future promotion will improve him.
Ugh, what happened to that last but? Time to try again.
The Crab Hermit: Swashbuckler recruit, Witchdoctor class, has a crab crawlie summons which can be used to distract enemies from your companions, he can train Witchhunter. Giving him Spooky and Spirited helps him as well as much Accuracy as you can ( he needs it ). His range is sub-par so readied spell is a must as well as Jobu's Ruse ( because he still has a tendency to miss, though he is worse than Carcarious in comparison. ) This is one of the 3 I refuse to use.

Lieutenant
Jan 23, 2011
Willowydream on Jul 16, 2018 wrote:
I don't think I have any companions I refuse to use. But I think this is a great thread to give folks a chance to talk about the less-well-known members of their teams.

I think the last time my buccaneer had Madame Nadya on his team, he received a few comments. What do you think of Nadya?

I personally love Nadya. I used to use her on the final battle with Moo Manchu in the tower along with Nausica. She wasn't really targeted much but her heal was very good especially with Old Scratch (most people use him so I never really had to being a buck). She could also get a few good critical shots out with a will buff.

Lieutenant
Jan 23, 2011
In Search of Yum on Jul 16, 2018 wrote:

The Magnificent Seven can be pretty useful especially when they get to the higher levels. I like having Jane have Overwatch 3 for the accuracy debuff. I do find Bat Masterson to be the least useful but he is still fun to have on your crew.

Another fun thing is that if you have all the Magnificent Seven companions, you can promote them all at once and have them all be in the battle with you. I found this out and it was really fun having way more than 4 members in a battle.

Petty Officer
Jun 22, 2014
How about the 4 creature companions you get as a witchdoctor, being Batacuda, Scorpius, Sky Snake, and Crokagator? They don't get many epics, especially since they don't have any promotions.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Pirate Master on Jul 18, 2018 wrote:
How about the 4 creature companions you get as a witchdoctor, being Batacuda, Scorpius, Sky Snake, and Crokagator? They don't get many epics, especially since they don't have any promotions.
The Witchdoctor Beast recruits; I used to use these a lot, because I got the Grizzled Heart Banner. There is nothing wrong with these companions, they are very good, solid companions to have. They get some excellent epics and talents. The only reason I no longer use mine is because of Old Scratch's improvements ( he's become a standard in the Tower ) and that my witch has stronger bucks and swashes on her crew. It's too bad that they haven't ( yet ) received a promotion, as this would encourage WDs to use them more ( and maybe even get a few players buying them ).
In order of recruitment:
Batacuda: Buccaneer class, I love to see him in action, that tail swipe is so vicious! And his wicked chuchkle when he scores is funny. Here are his epics: Turn the Tide, Vengeance Strike2 Bladestorm, & Second Chance. Talents - Fly, Accuracy4, Armor4, Tough2, Strong2,& Dodge2
Scorpius: Swashbuckler class; I gave him these epics - Cheap Shot, Ripost2, Bladestrom, Talents - Alert, Accuracy4, Dodge4, Armor2.
Sky Snake Swashbuckler class: These epics - First strike2, Bladestorm, Second Chance. Talents - Fly, Alert, Dodge4, Agility3, Accuracy4, Armor3.
Crocagator: Buccaneer class; Epics - Turn the Tide, Second Chance, Riposte, First Strike, & Bladestrom. Talents - Accuracy4, Armor4, Tough2, Strong2, & Dodge2.
As you can see, you have the ability to give some cross-class talents to these beasts, which is useful for an all around companion.

Lieutenant
Jan 27, 2015
Steven Owlhunter on Jul 18, 2018 wrote:
The Magnificent Seven can be pretty useful especially when they get to the higher levels. I like having Jane have Overwatch 3 for the accuracy debuff. I do find Bat Masterson to be the least useful but he is still fun to have on your crew.

Another fun thing is that if you have all the Magnificent Seven companions, you can promote them all at once and have them all be in the battle with you. I found this out and it was really fun having way more than 4 members in a battle.
All of the Magnificent Seven on the same character? At the same time? How do you do that ?

Lieutenant
Oct 18, 2014
What about the Skeletal Corsair? I think he looks cool but he's usually at the back page of my companion list.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
In Search of Yum on Jul 20, 2018 wrote:
All of the Magnificent Seven on the same character? At the same time? How do you do that ?
Crowns, lots o' crowns & gold for the promotion.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
In Search of Yum on Jul 20, 2018 wrote:
You have one, and then buy all of them from the Crown Shop.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Angel Angle The Li... on Jul 21, 2018 wrote:
What about the Skeletal Corsair? I think he looks cool but he's usually at the back page of my companion list.
I didn't know if you were referring to Bones McGee or the Lost Ranger; so I'm going to discuss both.
Bones McGee: Witchdoctor recruit,Musketeer class ( available in Crown Shop ). Until the witchdoctor gets Lefty in Cool Ranch, Bones is a very good option to use. He gets two promotions ( I think ) and has a good range for a musket. He gets an Epic Strike ( this actually puts him ahead of Rooster !) and Pirate ( which gives a damage bonus when on the enemy side of the battleboard ). I also gave mine Quick Adjust, Double Tap3 & Parting Shot2. Talents - Accuracy4, Agility4, Resitant2 ( he is a WD recruit, so I thought he had better have this - it also works against energy attacks. ) Tough3,, Spirited2 ( a mistake, I'll change it later ) and dodgy ( I'll be giving him more dodge. )
Lost Ranger: Buccaneer recruit, Buccaneer class ( available in Crown Shop ) I have read a post where this companion is described as "laughable", but the only problem with this companion is that he is recruited by a Buck, the class which already has a good selection of heavy buck hitters. If he had been a Swashbuckler, he would be better ( and a promotion can't hurt, either. ) But let's take a look at what he can get: Epics - Turn the Tide, Second Chance, Bladestorm and Riposte2. Talents - Tough2, Armored2, Accuracy4, Dodge2, Rough and Officer.
I thank all of you for your posts and asking about these lesser known companions, it's great to refresh my memory about them !

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Today, I'm talking about the Spirits of Yuletide pack, Thanks to KI and Christmas in July, this pack is on sale. This has enabled me to buy packs for my Buccaneer, Witchdostor and Musketeer. ( I already have them on Esperanza ).
A lot of players who recruited them at max level were surprised that they didn't receive a promotion and that the Dog Pirate ( buccaneer class ) has very few epics.
However, I truly enjoy these Spirits and use them ( even the Dog buck ). The best part about this pack is that you get all three and don't have to rely on random chance, plus the Cat pirate is very similar in looks to the Boochbeard bundle Cat Pirate! ) Perhaps in the future these companions will get promotions.

I want to know what you pirates think about these companions. Tell everyone - is the pack worth buying?
My opinion is that it is worth it ( especially now, when its on sale! )

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
anecorbie on Jul 25, 2018 wrote:
Today, I'm talking about the Spirits of Yuletide pack, Thanks to KI and Christmas in July, this pack is on sale. This has enabled me to buy packs for my Buccaneer, Witchdostor and Musketeer. ( I already have them on Esperanza ).
A lot of players who recruited them at max level were surprised that they didn't receive a promotion and that the Dog Pirate ( buccaneer class ) has very few epics.
However, I truly enjoy these Spirits and use them ( even the Dog buck ). The best part about this pack is that you get all three and don't have to rely on random chance, plus the Cat pirate is very similar in looks to the Boochbeard bundle Cat Pirate! ) Perhaps in the future these companions will get promotions.

I want to know what you pirates think about these companions. Tell everyone - is the pack worth buying?
My opinion is that it is worth it ( especially now, when its on sale! )
Well, you all know I believe in a large crew and that every companion can contribute to a battle. My favorite is the Privateer Mouse Fencer, Spirit of Giving, just because I think we have a serious lack of female crewmates. If they do give her a promotion, it would be nice for her to have a support power like other privateer companions.

Petty Officer
Jul 10, 2011
Ki. We just presents. And to host an event with presents... /10

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Willowydream on Jul 25, 2018 wrote:
Well, you all know I believe in a large crew and that every companion can contribute to a battle. My favorite is the Privateer Mouse Fencer, Spirit of Giving, just because I think we have a serious lack of female crewmates. If they do give her a promotion, it would be nice for her to have a support power like other privateer companions.

The Spirit of Giving brings the count of female companions up to 20! ( if you're counting. ) Unfortunately, not all these pirate "Ladies" are available to everyone ( Fan, Sarah, Chantal & the Marchioness ), and one is a bundle companion ( Nausica ) while the other is a random chance recruit from a pack, ( Battleangel, Ashes of the Armada. )

Lieutenant
Oct 18, 2014
Thanks, anecorbie! I was talking about good ol' McGee but it's nice to see you take that into consideration.

Now, for another wave of companions! The Monquistan Three as i like to call them, The Monquistan Monk, the Monquistan Explorer and the Monquistan Crossbowman I think they're all cool, (I REALLY wish the Explorer could get a promotion around level 60 that looked like El Nebuloso!) but what about you?

Hardy Quinn

Master Treasure Hunter

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Angel Angle The Li... on Jul 26, 2018 wrote:
Thanks, anecorbie! I was talking about good ol' McGee but it's nice to see you take that into consideration.

Now, for another wave of companions! The Monquistan Three as i like to call them, The Monquistan Monk, the Monquistan Explorer and the Monquistan Crossbowman I think they're all cool, (I REALLY wish the Explorer could get a promotion around level 60 that looked like El Nebuloso!) but what about you?

Hardy Quinn

Master Treasure Hunter
I love to use the "Monquistan Three" They are all wonderful companions to use and mine are on the first or top of the second page.
Monquistador Explorer: Swashbuckler recruit, Buccaneer class ( available in the crown shop ) I admit it took me a while to learn to appreciate this companion, he was at the back of my roster, though he wasn't given a "sleep token" ( this was before Advanced Companions ). It wasn't until I was in the Tower and decided to use him against the Terror-Cotta, that I saw his shining qualities - he stopped the cotta, got a few criticals and survived the fight!
I gave mine for Epics: Epic Strike, Turn the Tide, Hold the Line2,Repel Boarders ( yes, even a strict SB as myself can see the use of this epic ) Bladestorm, First Strike.
These Talents - Accuracy4, Armored4, Strong3 & Tough3.
A future promotion making him look like El Nebuloso would be perfect!

Monquisitor: Privateer recruit, Privateer class ( available in crown shop ) This little guy is packed full of ability! Though I wish I knew what he was saying sometimes when taking orders. For Epics - Epic Strike, Witchhunter, First Strike, Bladestorm, Vengeance Strike, For Talents - Resistant2, Accuracy4, Armored, Rough, Strong2, Tough, Spirited & Plunderer ( got to give him something to do when on bed rest! )
Monquistador Crossbowman ( the NOT crazy one ):Buccaneer recruit, Musketeer class. It seems a shame this one doesn't show up enough in battle, I like him much better that Billy the Kid. I love having Muskets show up in battle for my Buck.
I gave him these Epics: Epic Strike, Return Fire ( I know that some players consider that its "useless" but some muskets do miss and its great to have a response ) Quick Adjust, Double Tap2, & Parting Shot.
For Talents - Accuracy4, Agility4, Resistant, Rough2, Tough2 & Spirited ( I'm not sure why I gave him that last. one ).

Lieutenant
Oct 18, 2014
anecorbie on Jul 27, 2018 wrote:
I love to use the "Monquistan Three" They are all wonderful companions to use and mine are on the first or top of the second page.
Monquistador Explorer: Swashbuckler recruit, Buccaneer class ( available in the crown shop ) I admit it took me a while to learn to appreciate this companion, he was at the back of my roster, though he wasn't given a "sleep token" ( this was before Advanced Companions ). It wasn't until I was in the Tower and decided to use him against the Terror-Cotta, that I saw his shining qualities - he stopped the cotta, got a few criticals and survived the fight!
I gave mine for Epics: Epic Strike, Turn the Tide, Hold the Line2,Repel Boarders ( yes, even a strict SB as myself can see the use of this epic ) Bladestorm, First Strike.
These Talents - Accuracy4, Armored4, Strong3 & Tough3.
A future promotion making him look like El Nebuloso would be perfect!

Monquisitor: Privateer recruit, Privateer class ( available in crown shop ) This little guy is packed full of ability! Though I wish I knew what he was saying sometimes when taking orders. For Epics - Epic Strike, Witchhunter, First Strike, Bladestorm, Vengeance Strike, For Talents - Resistant2, Accuracy4, Armored, Rough, Strong2, Tough, Spirited & Plunderer ( got to give him something to do when on bed rest! )
Monquistador Crossbowman ( the NOT crazy one ):Buccaneer recruit, Musketeer class. It seems a shame this one doesn't show up enough in battle, I like him much better that Billy the Kid. I love having Muskets show up in battle for my Buck.
I gave him these Epics: Epic Strike, Return Fire ( I know that some players consider that its "useless" but some muskets do miss and its great to have a response ) Quick Adjust, Double Tap2, & Parting Shot.
For Talents - Accuracy4, Agility4, Resistant, Rough2, Tough2 & Spirited ( I'm not sure why I gave him that last. one ).
Huh, neat. Now, since this thread is kind of dead, i thought i might drop another question! What do you think about Tyson, the chicken boxer? (He also needs another promotion, to look like the chicken pugilist in Mooshu). I think he's pretty good in battle and even starts with Relentless

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013
anecorbie on Jul 16, 2018 wrote:

The chicken miner is pretty bad in my opinion, mine is named Jake Smith *Mention of Jakes name induces flashback to cool ranch days*

*Jake is last companion alive*

Fearless rob: "Come on jake you can do it buddy! Hit em with yer pickaxe"

*Jake attemps an attack and misses then gets one shotted*

Fearless Rob:

*End flashback*

*Shudder* Those were dark times...

Fearless robert spencer.