Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

One Piece and the Spiral

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Sep 14, 2008
I've been recently thinking about this, and it doesn't look like there's any discussion about it anymore. What would a One Piece inspired world in the Spiral look like? What kind of missions/quests could that world offer? What kind of enemies would there be? And many other questions are likely to come up.

Please note it would be preferred if you had some familiarity with One Piece, the Manga or Anime (preferably both, due to the differences that can be seen between mediums).

I think it would be interesting to see gear and equipment based off that of the main cast of One Piece. Things like slingshots inspired by those used by Usopp or the swords used by Zoro. Maybe some outfits inspired by the Strawhat Pirates over the course of the series's run.

Thoughts?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
dracone on Jul 23, 2018 wrote:
I've been recently thinking about this, and it doesn't look like there's any discussion about it anymore. What would a One Piece inspired world in the Spiral look like? What kind of missions/quests could that world offer? What kind of enemies would there be? And many other questions are likely to come up.

Please note it would be preferred if you had some familiarity with One Piece, the Manga or Anime (preferably both, due to the differences that can be seen between mediums).

I think it would be interesting to see gear and equipment based off that of the main cast of One Piece. Things like slingshots inspired by those used by Usopp or the swords used by Zoro. Maybe some outfits inspired by the Strawhat Pirates over the course of the series's run.

Thoughts?
Actually, this has been discussed by a few pirates in past threads, but due to lack of familiarity about One Piece, it never got much support.
I believe KI should avoid any reference to the manga or anime as it isn't "family friendly" and is too weird - most of the items and powers displayed would be nearly impossible to duplicate in the type of game we're playing anyway.
Also the risk of copyright infringement is too great ( beyond the name of Mr. Norrington, we don't have any references to Pirates of the Caribbean for that reason. )- KI should stick with the "classic" pirate movies & stories .

Petty Officer
Jul 10, 2011
I'm pretty sure that won't happen. This game is based on cultural and religious history, and discreetly teaches youngsters their history. That's a really long shot. Even if it may contain sooomee history Kingsisle won't spin off a movie. Not only that, they could get sued for Copyright. But. I think it would be fun to come up with ideas of imaginary worlds based on movies. How about Indiana Jones World... Ahahaha Okay i'm done. Yeah! We should totally imagine spin-off worlds! :D

Gunner's Mate
May 02, 2009
I love watching One Piece, though I just wish the dub was updated more frequently as it is far behind the original Japanese version.

I think Nami could have quests that involve weather and have one where she gives the player a copy of her Climatact as a reward (a weapon that has both melee and ranged properties). There could even be a quest where we fight alongside the Straw Hats (allied units) vs. the Marines or CP9.

Ensign
Sep 14, 2008
I get it; the devs probably don't want to do such a big reference to a series that they themselves probably don't have a whole lot of familiarity with. But the thing is, references and through lines will be made. One Piece is one of the longest-running manga in the world right now, it's been going strong for almost thirty years since my last check. And much like Pirate 101, One Piece draws on pirates in a prominent way. Most of the significant characters seen in one piece draw heavily on historical figures from around the world, a substantial number of those historical figures are pirates that are of varying familiarity and obscurity to the audience that is both reading and watching the series. Comparisons are bound to be made, and I wouldn't be too surprised to learn that numerous threads on One Piece are existing in some capacity on the Pirate 101 forums.

While a One Piece inspired world is fun to think about, I concede the likelihood of one existing in the Spiral is very low at this point. But little references to the series smattered throughout Pirate wouldn't hurt. I not expecting to see anyone with Devil Fruit abilities to suddenly pop up in the game, but little nods to One Piece like some pieces gear inspired by various characters in the series wouldn't hurt. Every game has homages to something someone on the dev team liked or was popular to some degree at the time. It's the nature of the industry.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
Heheh, I don't have really any familiarity of One Piece, but what is it about? I assume it's anime? Or manga? Or one of those things, LOL.

Ensign
Sep 14, 2008
It's an anime and manga; the anime has been going on since the early 2000s in the US while the manga has been running for the past 28 years or so. Why are we talking about on the Pirate forums, well because One Piece is a Pirate themed series! So several of us think that having a few references to One Piece in Pirate would be well within reason.

Ensign
Sep 14, 2008
Also, of equal importance for a potential One Piece world in Pirate 101 is the philosophical mindsets of the main cast. Monkey D Luffy, the primary protagonist of the series, has a mindset that makes him come off as being a bit of an idiot, but he's actually not that, he's actually shown to be rather intelligent, but comes off as seeming that way because of his incredibly straightforward mindset. Luffy doesn't think, or care, about the consequences of his decisions and actions, none of that ever weighs on his mind. However, he also has an accepting personality, he doesn't care about race, gender, or whatever other demographic someone else could be part of, he just cares about being free and letting others be free as well, and it's kind of hard to be free when you're weighed down by considering outcomes and consequences of what you can and/or should do. Nux Taku did this wonderful video on Luffy and discrimination this past July, here's a link to it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMn5Aaf4C-4