Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

How To Make All Companions Equally Useful

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Dec 06, 2012
You know what a cool idea would be. Making some changes to help all the companions in the game be more useful other than doing just tasks. How? Hear me out:
Change 1: 7 epics for all companions
Let us give all companions the choice of 7 epics so that they are not so restricted in there moves. You may ask, then what about the companions that get an extra epic or two from promotions? They would be too strong. Well the second change in this list would fix that.
Change 2: Promotions that give Powers instead of epics
So that these promotions still have a purpose, let them give your companions Powers rather than epics. That way they do not get too many epics and their promotions still give them an upgrade.
Change 3: Equipable Powers
So hear me out, when we gain a companion with a Power or we promote our companion and they gain a Power, let us be able to detach it from them and put it on another companion. However, companions will not be able to get any Power they want. Perhaps they can be restricted to certain class Powers. Though that could be awkward for certain companions, like I do not know too many Privateer Class companions who can gain Emmett’s Musketeer Mastery. (Other than Kzinti Singh). Maybe you can attach attack Powers like Critical Strike/Shot that match to either a melee fighter or ranged fighter. You can attach Buccaneer Strikes to Buccaneer companions and attach Swashbucklers Stab to Swashbuckler companions. Then you can attach certain damaging spell powers to Witchdoctors, and Privateer spell powers to Privateers. Of course, you will have to limit the amount of each Power attached to each companion. (Companions with more than one Buccaneer Smash or Swashbucklers Stab would probably be overkill). You can probably still have multiple guaranteed Critical Strikes, like one Epic Strike, one Mega Strike, and one Super Strike plus a Buccaneer Smash or Swashbuckler’s Stab. (But not both). Oh yeah, let us not let Buccaneers have Swashbucklers Stab or let Swashbucklers have Buccaneers Smash. That would be madness!
Change 4: Give certain companions epics and epic ranks that make more sense with their role
What is with Helephant/Monquisitor/Bison Chief and them wanting to pretend to be Vengeance Strike/First Strike fighters like Birgus Latro or Bosun Budd? Sure, Helephant/Monquisitor/Bison Chief may have a better chance of landing crits, but the Buccaneer guys got more health and armor, plus Vengeance Strike Rank 3. Not only that, but Swashbucklers can so easily crit combo them into oblivion. Also, all the water mole companions other than the Witchdoctors are lackluster in being zone controllers. They could really use Cheap Shot Rank 3 in their epics. (Also, Oingo Boingo is too pricey for a companion who is basically just a big Water Mole Warrior but with Second Chance. But he does not even get Cheap Shot Rank 2?! He is a boss character! He needs a new identity like being a Relentless+Bladestorm companion plus a Power). The only water mole that gets some Rank 3 zone control is the Water Mole Sling man, and he needs all his epic talent points to get it. Those are just some examples of odd ball characters who do not feel like they have a solid concrete role to play.

I really want to see these other companions shine in battle. The main story companions are super awesome, but there are so many different companions to choose from to help you, and they look so cool. Some even have their own unique cinematic Critical Strikes! But compared to the main story companions, why would use them? Thus, they are put to work on tasks, never to see their attack animations and cinematic Critical Strikes being used on your team. I hope to see these companions be used more. I really like them, and I still try and make the best of their move set despite them being outclassed by other companions. I do wish they become as useful as Bonnie Anne or Ratbeard or even Old Scratch. (Old Scratch is so awesome).

Jordan Calles Level 70 Privateer

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2009
Some interesting ideas, but -- I have to say that I find ALL companions equally useful already. I've played with First Mate/Random setting since the beginning, and the fact that my monquistans or bison companions may not have the "awesome" epics of storyline companions doesn't bother me. They still get the job done, and lend some uniqueness to the battle, a sense of accomplishment that they are able to win the battle even without super powers.

I actually have Bonnie Anne, Ratbeard and the other "best" companions on Orders instead, because everyone else I meet uses them. I don't WANT every member of the crew to be the same, every battle to be the same. Nurse Quinn and the Crab Hermit can be just as capable, if they have a capable captain who believes in them and knows how to boost them and use them.

Petty Officer
Dec 06, 2012
I am happy to see others who like to use other companions to battle other than the usual selection. I too still try to use them because I think they look cool and their cinematic critical strikes are awesome. I still stand by my previous suggestions about changes that should be made, but I am happy to hear that you have fun with them. I have a couple more suggestions that I will post here soon. I do hope my ideas are taken into consideration.