Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Privateer Class Underwhelming

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Oct 28, 2012
I have noticed while leveling my privateer that they don't get any talents besides elusive and repel boarders and that stinks in my opinion. It feels like the only damage output they have are the bombs in my opinion. So I suggest privateers be allowed to train bladestorm, riposte, mojo echo, or double tap depending on your playstyle. I suggest we be allowed to train these for 2 training points something I would definitely fork over extra training points to get an edge on the enemies in pve. Just my thoughts about the privateer class.

Sincerely,
MerlinAllPowerful
Level 70
Level 34

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
MerlinAllPowerful on Oct 23, 2017 wrote:
I have noticed while leveling my privateer that they don't get any talents besides elusive and repel boarders and that stinks in my opinion. It feels like the only damage output they have are the bombs in my opinion. So I suggest privateers be allowed to train bladestorm, riposte, mojo echo, or double tap depending on your playstyle. I suggest we be allowed to train these for 2 training points something I would definitely fork over extra training points to get an edge on the enemies in pve. Just my thoughts about the privateer class.

Sincerely,
MerlinAllPowerful
Level 70
Level 34
The damage from Privateers comes from their buffed companions - if you were expecting to be a individual fighter/tank, then you ought to play a Buccaneer.
There's a reason that Privateers have all those shields, heals & buffs. Different classes have different play styles. That being said, you can get those talents through a pet, gear or weapons.
Anyone can train Relentless from the secret trainers in Devilfish Hollow.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013

Sincerely,
MerlinAllPowerful
Level 70
Level 34
The advantage to Privateer's is all the heals they get. My main pirate is a Privateer and I really like the class.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
The privateer does not mix it up like the Buccaneers and Swashbucklers do.

They stay in the background and do buffs and heals.

Frankly, I wish the Privateer companions had more buffs and heals, as I am never sure if I should be working on their will, their strength, or their agility since they pretty much suck at buffs and heals.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Have you been to the hidden trainer? Trust me, privateers can be pretty powerful characters.

OTOH, if you just want to run up and hit things perhaps you should run a buccaneer.

Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2012
Its tricky to find the power style you want, but if your going for a certain style you can get secret trainer and pet talents that may help you get the desired pirate you want. I love Privateer because i find them not masters of one style but adaptable to many styles.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009

Sincerely,
MerlinAllPowerful
Level 70
Level 34
It sounds to me like you want all of the pirate classes to play the same. However, variety is "the spice of life." The talents you are looking for are available, just not native to the class, so you can develop a pet or find gear to give you that edge if you prefer. Privateers are the master & commander of their crew, and they can acquire the highest number of companions as they quest through the game.

Privateers are a more subtle class to play, but they can be the most efficient leaders.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Privateer in the hands of a skilled player becomes the best class endgame, you can make your pirate a discount buck while having massively stronger companions, thats if you go full cheese, most privateers in the pvp community gimp themselves in someway so the class is fun, i personally use a lvl 60 weapon and dont use boon, discord, scratch, focus fire, or any summons and i havent trained relentless 2 which i could easily get, if you used all that you'd be nearly unstoppable

Petty Officer
Oct 29, 2011
The best buff that pirate101 could give to privateers would be making slashy weapons boosted by will.

Petty Officer
Nov 06, 2014

Sincerely,
MerlinAllPowerful
Level 70
Level 34
I feel you on what you're saying, but don't knock the gunnery, artillery and big guns attacks. They can can do massive damage if you bring Old Scratch into battle and let him buff you. In addition, as Anecorbie has pointed out, you can get all those talents you desire from your pet, gear or weapons (and relentless from the clandestine hoplite trainer in Devilfish Hollow).That would be your best bet if you want to build the kind of effective privy you desire to have.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 25, 2015
zuto4011a on Oct 24, 2017 wrote:
Privateer in the hands of a skilled player becomes the best class endgame, you can make your pirate a discount buck while having massively stronger companions, thats if you go full cheese, most privateers in the pvp community gimp themselves in someway so the class is fun, i personally use a lvl 60 weapon and dont use boon, discord, scratch, focus fire, or any summons and i havent trained relentless 2 which i could easily get, if you used all that you'd be nearly unstoppable
Exactly. Privy with tower gear mixed with kane gear, moo robe, perfect pet, dragon axe of doom, relentless 2, and scratch buffs, chaos, just chaos.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
kingme655 on Oct 28, 2017 wrote:
Exactly. Privy with tower gear mixed with kane gear, moo robe, perfect pet, dragon axe of doom, relentless 2, and scratch buffs, chaos, just chaos.
if i went all out like that i can only think of 1 player who'd be able to stop me, and thats depending on how seriously i played, i have trouble going all out vs people i like

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
If I may add, class are support type. If playing this class solo, it takes a lot of patience. However s works better with a friend or 3, since it's a it's a support class. That is why in my opinion class, are good for advanced players and/or players who are very patience and/or want a challenge and/or like working on teams ( unless luck is on your side ) .