Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Most Pirate-Like Class?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Dec 09, 2008
What do you guys think the most pirate-like class is in Pirate101? Like when you think of a pirate, what kind of pirate do you think of? What class best represents that pirate? For me, when I think of a pirate, I think of a rough, sturdy pirate that uses a slashy type sword and also wears an eyepatch. I guess the class I think is the most pirate-like would be a buccaneer (even though they use spears/axes/clubs more than swords) or a swashbuckler because of their pirate "swag" lol. Maybe a privateer because they actually use regular (slashy) swords.

I don't think of musketeers because I picture pirates fighting with swords, not guns (I know pirates still used guns back then). Witchdoctors are an obvious no because they use magic.

So how about you? What class resembles your idea of a true pirate?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
danielson2284 on Jul 26, 2018 wrote:
What do you guys think the most pirate-like class is in Pirate101? Like when you think of a pirate, what kind of pirate do you think of? What class best represents that pirate? For me, when I think of a pirate, I think of a rough, sturdy pirate that uses a slashy type sword and also wears an eyepatch. I guess the class I think is the most pirate-like would be a buccaneer (even though they use spears/axes/clubs more than swords) or a swashbuckler because of their pirate "swag" lol. Maybe a privateer because they actually use regular (slashy) swords.

I don't think of musketeers because I picture pirates fighting with swords, not guns (I know pirates still used guns back then). Witchdoctors are an obvious no because they use magic.

I agree that the classic vision of a "pirate" calls up pictures of buccaneers ( a name actually used as a synonym for a pirate during the Golden Age of Piracy ), a swashbuckler was more a fighter using a rapier and small shield - a "buckler"., not actually a pirate.

But you mustn't discount musketeers, because these were responsible for the cannons on the ship & often a battle would end before boarding due to the firing of cannons.
Privateer was a class of "legal" pirate; they had a license to operate called a "Letter of Marque" usually issued in the name of the ruler of their country. They could then attack all ships from the country their country was at war with.

While there were witches and warlocks ( or people accused of being those ), they rarely went to sea.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013

Here comes a big debate!

Buccaneer - Arguably the most Pirate like class as pirates need strong weapons to overpower enemies and Buccaneers rely on strength.

Musketeer - Arguably the most Pirate like class as pirates need cannons on their ships and Musketeers use cannons.

Privateer - Arguably the most Pirate like class as pirates command their mates and Privateers are commanders.

Swashbuckler - Arguably not the most Pirate like class, probably the most Ninja like class.

Witchdoctor - Clearly not the most Pirate like class, probably the most Wizard like class.

Disclaimer - As of this point I have only played 2 of the 5 classes.

Two-Faced Aurora "A Roar A" Clegg - Level 70 Musketeer who does not make a roaring noise.

Two-Faced Dino "Die No" Clegg - Level 70 Privateer who can and does die from time to time.

rrrrzzzz on Twitch!

I plan on live streaming Pirate 101 and 1 other game Friday and / or Saturday on my Twitch channel, I will cover the news of Bat Masterson becoming our new community manager, One-Eyed Jack being promoted, and any Pirate 101 news we learn during tomorrow's Ki Live! If you are a regular user of Twitch and a Pirate 101 player, I encourage you to follow my channel!

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013

To me, I think either the Buccaneers, Swashbucklers or the Musketeers, although Privateers were real back then in the Golden Age of Piracy.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Privateers for sure. You've got a wide range of weaponry, the option for heavy and light gear for full fashion range, and the tie to real privateers of the past. What's that, you say, you're employed by Marleybone to hunt down the ships of Monquista, and by MooShu to hunt the Marleybonians, and by the Monquistans to hunt the Aquilans, with three flags to match? Well, that makes you a Pirate in the eyes of them all!