Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What is a Privateer?

AuthorMessage
Developer
Privateers are born leaders, commanders who can rally their troops to victory through the most desperate of battles. Privateers can recruit more Companions than any other class, and their powers focus on boosting their Companions' capabilities and healing them in the thick of the fight.

If you are a Privateer, look for ways to boost your WILL

Ensign
Sep 18, 2012
I was wondering if the naturally spooky talent will increase the power of the privateer's heals and buffs, or if it only affects the damaging powers like barrage?

Ensign
Jul 06, 2008
I believe Naturally Spooky will increase your healing and barrage powers.

Ensign
Sep 18, 2012
So my question finally got anwered by RATBEARD. This is what he had to say:

"Spooky will be useful for your Privateer as well-- it will increase the effectiveness of your healing and barrage powers.

And no, you don't need to be using a Staffy weapon to get the benefits.

In general, any of the class abilities that don't use your equipped weapons can benefit from Spooky. It will increase (for example) the damage of a Musketeer's traps, or the Swashbucker's poison cloud."

Ofcourse this was taken from somone else's thread that asked the question nearly a week later, but oh well its answered.

Ensign
May 22, 2010
The Commodore on Mar 1, 2012 wrote:
Privateers are born leaders, commanders who can rally their troops to victory through the most desperate of battles. Privateers can recruit more Companions than any other class, and their powers focus on boosting their Companions' capabilities and healing them in the thick of the fight.

1) This says look for STRENGTH.
2) the Skills that come with a number of Privateer Companions are strength-related/bucaneer skills.

BUT - the crowns gear for Privateer is strongly increases wisdom over strength.

This thread now mentions Spooky.

???

Ensign
Mar 23, 2009
This is simple to explain. Our Heals and long range attacks do use WILL. the higher it is the more you heal or the more damage you do with the long range attacks we have. But we only have limited uses of them each battle.

Lower levels we can heal only once, without better gear that gives you more heals. After you have used your heal now you must fight using your weapon. This is where strength comes in. You need strength to damage your foes.

We must balance our will and strength. if we only put on Will gear we can only heal, support and attack at long range. Up close we would only hit for low amounts of damage.

If we only put on Strength gear then we could deal damage but only heal for low amounts.

Ensign
Apr 10, 2009
Hello Commodore, my name is Honest Ilana Thompson, level 15 Privateer. What should you pick for your homeworld if you want to get an advantage for picking privateer? I would really like it if you would repond back, please.

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
sparkstorm150: Homeworld for Privateer should be Grizzleheim with Treason as the reason you are in the Brig.
MooShu - Born Warrior - Buccaneer
Skull Island - Born Sneak - Swashbuckler
Grizzleheim - Born Tough - Privateer
Krokotopia - Born Spooky - Witchdoctor
Marleybone - Born Keen Eyes - Musketeer

are the ways I understand the worlds and the Class of Pirate work best.

Community Leader
The Helpful Pirate on Oct 31, 2012 wrote:
sparkstorm150: Homeworld for Privateer should be Grizzleheim with Treason as the reason you are in the Brig.

Born Tough gives more health... havent found this useful for a Privateer (or any Pirate actually).
I recommend either Krok, or Mooshu for the Privateer.

Otherwise there are the "textbook" combos reflected by Mouser.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
The Commodore: "Privateers can recruit more Companions than any other class...".

I have a witchdoctor running as a team with my wife's privateer, and so far it seems to me that they pick up class-specific crew at about the same pace, with maybe the witchdoctor running slightly ahead (we are both 22nd level, in the Cold Ranch area). Does the "more companions" reference mean that over the course of the game the Privateer will gather more special companions (like Nanu Nanu), or that the maximum number of crew a Privateer can command is higher than other classes? Thanks,

-Michael

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
After i maxed out my musketeer, i made a privateer and expected to hate it. What people say is not true, about being very weak, and having the companions as a weapon. Great class!

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2010
Indigo Ring on Nov 16, 2012 wrote:
The Commodore: "Privateers can recruit more Companions than any other class...".

I have a witchdoctor running as a team with my wife's privateer, and so far it seems to me that they pick up class-specific crew at about the same pace, with maybe the witchdoctor running slightly ahead (we are both 22nd level, in the Cold Ranch area). Does the "more companions" reference mean that over the course of the game the Privateer will gather more special companions (like Nanu Nanu), or that the maximum number of crew a Privateer can command is higher than other classes? Thanks,

-Michael
Good question, so far I havn't notice any difference, maybe Privateers just have a high chance of more companions joining a battle?

I really don't know, and would be good to get a response from KI.

Ensign
Nov 04, 2012
Is the Privateer a type of Hybrid class>? Meaning I should stack two stats when I can? It seems everyone says strength for the privateer but I am thinking you should do strength AND will.
Also I was wondering if the Musketeer is a decent subclass for them? I have seen other say witchdoctor but I am unsure if I wish to do that since My main is a Witchdoctor with Privateer as a sub. Thanks for the advice in advance.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
From experience, the witchdoctor gets more of her crew to show up in a battle than my privateer. And, you know, more chances at getting crew, unless somehow we're managing to miss all the side quests that would give some of that "more companions" thing.

Or maybe, you know, it means we'll be more popular with people looking to run in groups, since we get lovely boosty spells for everyone (who happens to be in range).

Not that I'm feeling at all bitter or misled about the potential size of and selection for my crew. Not a bit.

Captain
May 02, 2009
The Commodore on Mar 1, 2012 wrote:

Personally, I LOVE privateers They have so many helpful skills, my favorite skill from the privateers is Discipline! Although privateers aren't my favorite class they are cool in their own ways.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I have one of each class, with their levels ranging from 11th (my buccaneer) to 22nd (my witchdoctor). I have to say, I'm not sure which is my favorite. Kingsisle did a nice job with the classes - they are all fun to play, and seem well balanced, at least as far as I have gone with the game. The Privateer is certainly one I enjoy playing a lot - I like the crew aspect of the game, and the Privateer's support spells are very effective.

Ensign
Dec 13, 2012
Here this might help you decide. Also think ahead to what you want your sub-class to be.

World Talent Effect
1) Skull Island 1) Born Sneaky 1) +5% to Dodge
2) Grizzleheim 2) Naturally Tough 2) +5% to Health
3) Krokotopia 3) Naturally Spooky 3) Increased Power Effects
4) Marleybone 4) Keen Eyes 4) +5% to Accuracy
5) MooShu 5) Born Tough 5) +5 Damage

Ensign
Oct 25, 2012
Captain
May 02, 2009
If Privateer's try to boost strength, then why is it that when I use any form of Juju on a Privateer companion they get Increased Will instead of Increased Strength?

Ensign
Jul 23, 2012
Okay I have a question. For a privateer's weapon: Is it better to have a slashy/smashy weapon or shooty/slashy weapon because I picked up a hat called ancestor's helm and it gives a critical strike hit but it requires a gun(s). This is where I get confused. Does this mean privateers can benefit from guns? It also says that its only for privateers. I just need to know which weapon is best because currently i have a slashy/smashy weapon but I really want to equip the hat to use the card.

~ Leena Tolliver, Level 27 Privateer

Ensign
Oct 25, 2012
iwannagoflying on Jan 6, 2013 wrote:
Okay I have a question. For a privateer's weapon: Is it better to have a slashy/smashy weapon or shooty/slashy weapon because I picked up a hat called ancestor's helm and it gives a critical strike hit but it requires a gun(s). This is where I get confused. Does this mean privateers can benefit from guns? It also says that its only for privateers. I just need to know which weapon is best because currently i have a slashy/smashy weapon but I really want to equip the hat to use the card.

~ Leena Tolliver, Level 27 Privateer
Woah settle,ok privateers can use guns but here is my suggestion, get the pheonix, firecat, or any gun/sword wepon, but on the helm and twa la you can use that power. i did it once (but with diffrent range attack) got the pheonix set* and tried it, look as long as you have a shooty wepon (look on wepons for finding out) you can use gun powers.

Petty Officer
Jun 29, 2011
The Helpful Pirate on Oct 31, 2012 wrote:

grr

I like marleybone and im a privateer! >:(

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
coolster: "If Privateer's try to boost strength, then why is it that when I use any form of Juju on a Privateer companion they get Increased Will instead of Increased Strength?"

I think privateers have two main stats - Strength and Will. Will boosts spells and spell-like effects, and the Privateers have lots of those.

What gets bumped by juju does seem to be affected by the weapon you are using. My swashbuckler always saw Agility boosted, until he switched to a slashy/stabby weapon - now it is his Strength that is boosted.

-Michael

Ensign
Dec 22, 2012
hi
i am a priveeter and i was woundering why do we have sheileds?

Brave Tyler
lvl 9 priveeter

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Ryan the Swash on Jan 21, 2013 wrote:
hi
i am a priveeter and i was woundering why do we have sheileds?

Brave Tyler
lvl 9 priveeter
Shields boost your armor class, and can serve as smashy weapons (if you play other RPGs, think "shield bash" attacks). Besides, hopping about waving a shield around makes you look different than the other pirates although you're not obligated to use one.

My privateer likes to use shooty/slashy or shooty/stabby weapons, so no shields for her.