Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

no others allowed to join battle option?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jul 29, 2011
I am completely sympathetic and understand the frustration when you have almost finished a battle and someone joins.
It is possible to change to not allow anyone to port and also to make it so you do not show on-line to your friends, this can be found under "options".

Also, under options you will find a place to limit to friends who can visit your home, whether anyone can add you as a friend, or join groups. Just as in Wizard 101.
If there too many players in your area, go again to options to change your location to "perfect", especially if you are in a crowded or full area.

If I join someone I check their health first thing to see about healing. It is very cumbersome to be manuevering the ship and firing at the same time. I wish this could be made more fluid.

Most of the time it is the more the merrier and if I die I can just come back.

Ensign
Oct 21, 2012
Ensign
Oct 09, 2011
My suggestion:

Paying members could get a 'boon' for grouping in experience. Does not have to be huge but would encourage grouping and then you could slide in an option if you wish to not allow other to join your battles.

There are a few problems I can still see regarding encounters though you would have to still have the encounter for the individual otherwise they could in theory just run right through populated zones without worrying about battles.

Ensign
Jun 19, 2009
I believe we are all happy about the open World feel but the problem seems to be more of a timing issue than people not really wanting to battle with each other. If it doesn't seem possible to add a request button when a person tries to enter a battle than possibly locking out joins after the first couple rounds.

I don't have a problem with 2 or 3 people joining me when the battle starts, but it is really bad when 3 people join and I am on the last enemy, which then leaves my whole team, half dead and in the middle of spawns.

Thanks for trying to make our gaming experience the best...keep up the good work!

Community Leader
Ratbeard on Oct 27, 2012 wrote:
Since I haven't seen an official post in this thread yet, I will just hop in and say that we are looking very carefully at your concerns here, and trying to decide the best way to address them.

On the one hand, we realize it can be frustrating and at times detrimental to have other people join a combat in progress (especially when you've almost won!)

On the other hand, we realize that it can be quite helpful to jump into fights in progress, so that you can complete certain quest goals faster.

We definitely want to promote an open-world feel, and to encourage cooperation among players. This is a massively multiplayer experience, after all.

Speaking for myself, if I join a combat by mistake, I will just hit the FLEE! button as soon as possible. When you leave combat that way, any extra monsters that spawned when you joined will despawn when you leave.
Thank you for letting us know the devs are looking into this. It is a tricky issue to be sure. I also have used the flee command in that situation, but I have to think first where it's going to send me and how far I'll have to walk back!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Ensign
Apr 27, 2012
I really agree! I wish there was someway a person had to ask to join a battle. Sometimes having to flee when your battle was almost over is not right! But when you have already lost all but one companion and you had one spawn left and no heals or specials left what are you to do. All the new spawn seem to go after the closest person which is the person that was there first!

I didn't realize that if you flee the spawn leaves? I accidentally joined a group yesterday, I guess I was half asleep as I didn't even see the person there fighting, plus I had no need for that particular spawn! I so wanted to flee but I thought the other person would get stuck with all the new spawn. I didn't want to leave the player like that either.
Can anyone verify that this is true? Sure would make it nicer when it happens to me again!

Ensign
Jun 27, 2012
I totally agree. If you don't have the simple manners to ask then we should have a way to keep them from doing it. Very frustrating to be almost done or almost dead and suddenly you have a whole new party. PLEASE help us stop the madness!

Community Leader
Lizza2075 on Oct 28, 2012 wrote:
I really agree! I wish there was someway a person had to ask to join a battle. Sometimes having to flee when your battle was almost over is not right! But when you have already lost all but one companion and you had one spawn left and no heals or specials left what are you to do. All the new spawn seem to go after the closest person which is the person that was there first!

I didn't realize that if you flee the spawn leaves? I accidentally joined a group yesterday, I guess I was half asleep as I didn't even see the person there fighting, plus I had no need for that particular spawn! I so wanted to flee but I thought the other person would get stuck with all the new spawn. I didn't want to leave the player like that either.
Can anyone verify that this is true? Sure would make it nicer when it happens to me again!
It was a developer that said that was the case, so I think we can take his word for it!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Ensign
Dec 15, 2011
I am another annoyed pirate on this subject. I would love to see it in privacy options (allow others to join battle? I will say NO) or allow to eject passengers (those whom join your battle) while in battle.

Ensign
Jul 19, 2010
Since I haven't seen an official post in this thread yet, I will just hop in and say that we are looking very carefully at your concerns here, and trying to decide the best way to address them.

On the one hand, we realize it can be frustrating and at times detrimental to have other people join a combat in progress (especially when you've almost won!)

On the other hand, we realize that it can be quite helpful to jump into fights in progress, so that you can complete certain quest goals faster.

We definitely want to promote an open-world feel, and to encourage cooperation among players. This is a massively multiplayer experience, after all.

Speaking for myself, if I join a combat by mistake, I will just hit the FLEE! button as soon as possible. When you leave combat that way, any extra monsters that spawned when you joined will despawn when you leave.
Thanks for looking into this, I understand both sides on this and I hope a solution can be made that benefits everyone and makes the game more enjoyable for all. I do love this game!

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
If you do not want people joining in your fights. Simply do not play a mmo. That includes this game here.

Problem solved.

Ensign
May 01, 2011
I support this idea. It gets harder in higher worlds when you are just one attack away from finishing and then people come and join your duel and then more enemies come and attack. It happens to me all the time.

Ensign
Dec 15, 2011
Shiningfantasia on Oct 30, 2012 wrote:
If you do not want people joining in your fights. Simply do not play a mmo. That includes this game here.

Problem solved.
:-P

Community Leader
Shiningfantasia on Oct 30, 2012 wrote:

Problem solved.
I can't speak for everyone here, but I don't think it's a matter of people not wanting to play with others, but rather an issue of how you interact with others. I enjoy playing MMO's, but there are some that I avoid because of the way they let other players affect your playtime. EVE Online, for example, allows all sorts of griefing that I can do without. Playing with others in Pirate 101 should be a pleasant experience, as the rest of the game is, and it is, except for this issue of when people are allowed to join. I don't think we'd want to stop player interaction, but rather give ourselves tools to better assess the situation, and, in the case of the S.O.S. button (please implement!! ) encourage people to play together. I will shy away from joining a combat in progress unless I know for sure when it started. If someone was asking for help, I wouldn't have to worry I was imposing.

KI seems to make sure there games foster a possitive environment where negative interaction with other players is discouraged. That is a noble goal and one I think everyone playing can get behind.

I'm sure you were being facetious, but healthy player interaction can keep an MMO going long after you've run out of quests or lack thereof can kill it prematurely. Let's make sure everyone is having a good time and that we know when someone is struggling so we can help them out. That's what I want other players there for in the first place: to band together and complete common goals . . . . and to show off my gear in front of

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2010
Well said Kadav

I think the changes they have made will go a long way towards fixing this issue.

Ensign
Oct 29, 2012
Simple fix to give the player more control over their battle preference or play style :

Once a player initiates a battle on the field "A preference pop up" a player can choose within say 2 seconds or it defaults to OPEN.

" open battle" or "closed"

KI already has a message if the battle field is FULL so this would be easy to state "Closed Battle" this would encourage communication seeing some could/would benefit by asking if they can work together since they are on the same quest and together they reap the reward of more loot/coin and mob numbers.

For those who need the same quest mobs there are plenty randomly pathing about. All KI would need to do is up the ratio for quest purposes ie 0 of 10 and not take 2,000 kills to get said 10. BANG done

This would even lock out those random players on your list who port without notice so they too can't cause you unneeded aggro issues in this event. If you die then re-engage by clicking open battle or spamming area chat for help, or of course friends list would come into play in this situation.

Dungeons are easy you just port in when no one is around and or change servers to a less populated one.

Play smart and choose your friends more wisely and enjoy the game!

Ensign
Jun 08, 2009
Iif they added an option to allow or deny others from joining people's battles, I would love it. I personally only enjoy playing with my brother, my few friends or alone. yes, alone I enjoy both games more. you can't tell me I pay to play just to get irritated when people join. it isn't hard to add a option for us to block random people from joining or for others that enjoy playing with others, they can leave that option open. it is a simple addition.

consider the following:
This is not wizard101. We all had AOE spells and critical to kill off all mobs in wizard101 and here we do not. The AOE that we have here and critical are weak, which means one hit does not kill the mob or boss. The battles are time consuming and even if one random person adds one mob, that means one extra mob I need to kill in case they just pass all the time and don't do anything. Healing is also a waste, because it does not heal my lvl 28 pirate full.

If we are paying to play then do you not think they should make it more fun, instead of making the game irritating

Petty Officer
Feb 24, 2012
shiver me timbers pirates!

in the case of others joining almost won battles, you can fall back , fall way back if you are near death until you or someone else can heal you.

before battle, remember to dock nearby so if you do die it's not a long way back!

take a chill pill band 'o pirates 'n heartly enjoy th' battle no matter what

I reckon th' SOS be a darn jolly idea

Maybe th' DND could include "almost done"

Ensign
Jul 19, 2010
Talkin The Plank on Nov 5, 2012 wrote:
I can't speak for everyone here, but I don't think it's a matter of people not wanting to play with others, but rather an issue of how you interact with others. I enjoy playing MMO's, but there are some that I avoid because of the way they let other players affect your playtime. EVE Online, for example, allows all sorts of griefing that I can do without. Playing with others in Pirate 101 should be a pleasant experience, as the rest of the game is, and it is, except for this issue of when people are allowed to join. I don't think we'd want to stop player interaction, but rather give ourselves tools to better assess the situation, and, in the case of the S.O.S. button (please implement!! ) encourage people to play together. I will shy away from joining a combat in progress unless I know for sure when it started. If someone was asking for help, I wouldn't have to worry I was imposing.

KI seems to make sure there games foster a possitive environment where negative interaction with other players is discouraged. That is a noble goal and one I think everyone playing can get behind.

I'm sure you were being facetious, but healthy player interaction can keep an MMO going long after you've run out of quests or lack thereof can kill it prematurely. Let's make sure everyone is having a good time and that we know when someone is struggling so we can help them out. That's what I want other players there for in the first place: to band together and complete common goals . . . . and to show off my gear in front of
well said!

Ensign
Dec 07, 2008

Something I always thought that would have been good in Wizards101 was if they would make servers that cater to the single player minded folks. Instead of giving players a toggle switch to keep players from joining them just create separate servers that do not allow grouping unless you are already grouped with them.

The only reason I would not like the toggle to be used on regular servers is because it would cause problems with their not being enough spawn points in the busier areas if even a handful of players used this option.

Ensign
Feb 28, 2010
This is a multi-player game... if you don't like sharing your battles, then I suggest you find a game that is specifically designed for solo play.

Personally, if someone ports to me in battle without first asking, I just advise them next time to ask... if they do it again, I remove them from my friends list.

Ensign
Nov 15, 2010
As someone that has played Azteca within the first two weeks of release, I can guarantee that preventing others from joining can cause more trouble than it's worth. For the first two weeks or so most of the time the Cenote slowed progress to a crawl because there were only two places for battles to take place meaning that only eight wizards could fight per realm. This problem was compounded by the battles being needed for multiple quest that could not (or were highly impractical) to perform simultaneously meaning the players would have to come back to these already crowded areas and wait for another chance to join. Since these battles can easily take ten minutes (especially the thunderhorn zombies), the tactic was to realm jump and hope there was a spot open.

All that is needed to slow things to a standstill is one griefer with joining turned off that keeps jumping into the fray taking up one of these locations (or worse a pair of them could shut a realm down).

Petty Officer
Oct 04, 2012
Surely the answer is quite simple. If a player joins just add fewer additional mobs dependent upon how close to finishing they are. If they are near the end add none at all.

Personally I find it annoying when people join my fights uninvited, but I would find it more annoying to have to stand and wait an incredibly long time for someone to finish a fight because they are hogging my mobs and will not allow me to join.

Captain
May 13, 2011
to the people saying "if you dont want people to join, dont play and MMO", people like this game, but they dont like that random players join when the battle is so close to being finished. do you expect KI to make pirate101 single player? the vortexes are labeled "restricted area". why not let people do the same to all the other battles?

Gunner's Mate
Sep 29, 2012
i have no problem with people joining me in battle, therefor i hate when i join a battle and the person is angry at me and it creates a conflict. i prefer these people that wants to play alone to play alone!