Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

no others allowed to join battle option?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jul 19, 2010
I would like to make a suggestion that maybe there could be a privacy setting of not allowing people to join your battle. maybe kind of like the not allowing friends to teleport or hidden to friends in wizard 101. sometimes I dont want to fight with anyone who jumps into my battle. the fights take longer and sometimes i just want to be done with a fight.

I get a little aggravated when my fight is almost over and 3 people decide to jump on, and then i am fighting for another 10 min.

just a thought, i would love to have the option of solo battling!
or just battling with my friends.

Ensign
Oct 15, 2012
Dear King Isle team etc.

I really REALLY hate that peopel are able to join you when you fighting without your persmission
why? Simple because :

1.Sometimes its even make me die.
2. Its really anyoing when 1 monster left and instanly " a wild random player appeard " then next one and again next one.Im fine It could understand that people from friend list could actualy join you without your permission but I cant understand why random people can do it !
3.Its really wasting my time from 10 min when im soloing to acutally even 30 min. Depend on how many players joining me .

Really KI you must do something about it Its not even logical.
There should be a message poppping up like
" Do you wanna player X to help you in battle ?"
[Yes] [No]

Best Greetings.

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2010
What would be nice to see is some statement on the equity of joining existing battles. Something like:

While most pirates have no problem with others joining existing battles please be considerate of those that may had already been in battle for some time and may not appreciate the battle been extended. A good rule of thumb is that if you didn’t see the battle start or are not sure if it has only been running for a couple of rounds, don’t join.

For ships battles, many pirates prefer to destroy ships rather than board them (often depending on what quest they are doing). While most pirates would appreciate any help with ship battles try to leave the decision to board or not to the pirate that initiated the battle. If they board then feel free to join them (keeping in mind the suggestion above), however if they don’t board please be considerate of their wishes and help them destroy the ship instead.

Obviously there would be times when you can’t follow the above suggestions (you accidently join a battle while trying to avoid it, or your ship gets boarded by the NPC etc), however I think the above are good rules to live by.

Ensign
Oct 08, 2012
I to would like to see this feature in the game, How ever what about the open world boss fights, could you imagine 10-15 different fights going on in the same space. I do not think they programmed the game that way. So I don't think this will be a feature to soon into the future..

Ensign
Oct 04, 2012
scurvy scarlet on Oct 16, 2012 wrote:
I would like to make a suggestion that maybe there could be a privacy setting of not allowing people to join your battle. maybe kind of like the not allowing friends to teleport or hidden to friends in wizard 101. sometimes I dont want to fight with anyone who jumps into my battle. the fights take longer and sometimes i just want to be done with a fight.

I get a little aggravated when my fight is almost over and 3 people decide to jump on, and then i am fighting for another 10 min.

just a thought, i would love to have the option of solo battling!
or just battling with my friends.
Agree

Ensign
Mar 04, 2009
When I enter a group with 3 other players and the battle takes anywhere from 10-20 minutes for ONE battle we're pushing the patience line a bit. :/ Wizard 101 could test battle patience at times but this brings it to an all new level. Not only that, but when you finish an epic 20 minute battle and receive next to nothing xp amounts it really is a kick to the groin.

Ensign
Jan 30, 2009
I support this idea maybe add options like allow none/ask/friend only

Ensign
Jun 18, 2010
I agree. I've had it done several times where I'm literally one hit away from winning an on deck battle and then a group (2 people) join in on my ship battle! How infuriating and rude! It's not like you can get sucked into those fights like on land. They have to click on the button that says "join battle". I don't think that should even be an option for an on deck battle. Bottom line: people should ask first before they join an on deck ship battle. and maybe something should pop up when they hit the "join battle" button that says, "Yar, Matey ask permission to join the battle" or something along those lines. It's extremely rude to just join a battle without asking. (with the exception of getting sucked into a battle on land. But you should still apologize then, IMO).

Ensign
Jun 16, 2009
Ensign
Jul 19, 2010
yes it is very rude to join a fight without asking, in my opinion it all boils down to people not wanting to do the initial ship battle and just join in on the tail end of the fight, then they get credit for the fight and didnt have to work for it.

Ensign
Dec 27, 2009
Don't see the point in making groups either besides the option to teleport to group mates. It's not like its allowing you to only fight with group mates which would be nice.
Its a huge pain having randoms join my fights.

Ensign
Jun 12, 2008
I have mixed feelings on this issue. On one hand, it is irritating to be almost done with a battle only to have others join in. You might be almost dead after the battle you've fought, you might have already lost companions and you might have used up all your skills already. On the other hand, this is a pretty casual, family friendly game--which means more kids play than not--and being able to simply jump into a battle and play with others can be a lot of fun!

I do think there's a difference between joining and/or being accidentally pulled into an instance battle (Ancient Tunnels on Skull Island is horrible for this) than deliberately joining a deck battle. There tends to be a lot more danger in a deck battle, especially if there has been a lot of damage to either vessel. I have no problem with ships flying around helping with broadside attacks. It makes battles and quests go faster and everybody benefits. I do have a problem with somebody deliberately joining a deck battle, however, especially if it's been going on for a while.

Things I think would help, in general:
  • The ability to recycle skills after X number of rounds, but only if somebody else has joined the battle. If you've fought a long hard battle and are on your last legs, it can be really frustrating to have somebody jump in and essentially revive the battle by adding new mobs. Why can they revive the battle, but you can't revive fallen companions, heal up or get your skills back after a certain amount of rounds has passed? You need to get something.
  • If an additional player joins the battle and brings in new mobs, have the mobs aggro ONLY on the new player and his/her companions unless you explicitly attack them.
  • If you're in a group, lock the number of random players that can join a battle. For example, if your group has two players, only 2 other players can join your battle, because one spot is reserved for a group member. Please note, this feature may already exist - I haven't tested it.

Community Leader
I really like the way it works now, because it does give choices that dont require us to change settings or be anti-social in the game. If I feel like being "alone" i go to the quieter realms. Seldom do I encounter other pirates in those realms. Sure I do, but not as many, and not usually any on the same exact quest line I am on.
There have been times when others did come along that I have found extremely helpful. More people, more mobs, means more chests, more drops, more gold.
Being in beta and having finished the game in beta a few times may indeed help me, as I am in no hurry to see "whats next" as I am sure many are. Been there! ;) Id rather get more stuff, more drops, more gold, etc along the way, as these things are always helpful on our journey.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
Oct 23, 2011
I completely agree with you, I am sick of when I start a battle with hard enemies on accident, then when I am about to kill the last one, 2 others join in instantly and don't even think things through, leaving me to do all of it.

I am also tired of a battle going on, that the first person who goes into a section after a battle has been fought gets forced to go into the fight, and while that happens, people just sneak around, EXACTLY HOW I WAS DOING IT, to get to their destination, which really makes me upset.

So really, You get help when you don't need it, and don't get it when you do need it.

Ensign
May 28, 2012
Community Leader
A toggle switch (defaulted to "None" at the beginning of each combat) would make sense. If you could put up a "Do Not Disturb" icon or an S.O.S. icon, depending on how the battle is going, it would help other player make clearer decisions before they join. Not saying that any of these would actually block players from joining, but it would at least give them the opportunity to make an informed decision. Also, "S.O.S." does fit the nautical theme!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Ensign
Nov 26, 2009
Totally gotta back this suggestion. Last night I was literally one move away from finishing a fight when 3 players joined it and pushed it out a good 15 minutes.

Ensign
Jun 04, 2008
I really like the idea of the DND and SOS flags! They won't stop anyone from joining, but at least it makes it obvious whether you want or need the help.

Ensign
Jun 19, 2009
Please add an option to not allow others to join battles..It is completely annoying to have to revive all your companions every fight because you are almost done and 3 people join leaving you half dead, right in the middle of the new spawns.

Ensign
May 29, 2012
I agree, I to have been almost finished with a battle and 2-3 others join. I like the DND and SOS idea.

Community Leader
amareyn on Oct 22, 2012 wrote:
I really like the idea of the DND and SOS flags! They won't stop anyone from joining, but at least it makes it obvious whether you want or need the help.
If nothing else, adding the SOS flag might be a neat feature. I was running through the gold mine last night and saw a player calling out for help in local chat, but didn't know where the battle was going on, so couldn't figure out how to assist. What would be a good feature and what would also encourage a possitive form of player interaction, is if someone gets in a tight spot in battle, they can press the SOS button which will flag any nearby players. The nearby players could then click on the SOS (if they felt the need to assist) at which point, their quest arrow for turn red (or stay yellow, I don't care) and direct them to the ailing player. What's more piratey than swooping in a taking advantage of a situation to get your share of the loot?

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Ensign
Nov 21, 2010
agreed, i have even asked people not to join but they do anyways and say its a free country lol
then i die

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
Regardless of how many people may agree that people should not be able to join battles if players wished it, here is what I foresee.

The developers enable players to block out other players. Now, all I see for miles on end in areas is 10,000 pirates in their own little battlefields. No monsters left to roam around since they despawn once they close in on an active battlefield. Then people like me and others will sit there and have to wait in line to fight monsters because they cannot fight monsters that are already being fought. And after entering an area, I would not want to have to travel halfway accross the zone just to find some random empty spot that no pirate has yet claimed. Nor would I want to have to jump zones every 60 seconds looking for one either.

Think before you speak guys. If you don't like to see other players around, or don't want to be around others, don't play a mmo. Period.

Ensign
Jun 08, 2011
I'm in agreement with shiningfantasia here. In fact, I encountered a battlefield situation like what he described just the other day. I was doing a main storyline quest, and there were literally no available monsters to fight roaming free. I had to join an existing battle (and got cussed out by the one person there, even though I offered to flee if he wanted me to).

Think about what the MM in MMORPG stands for. Massively Multiplayer.

Developer
Since I haven't seen an official post in this thread yet, I will just hop in and say that we are looking very carefully at your concerns here, and trying to decide the best way to address them.

On the one hand, we realize it can be frustrating and at times detrimental to have other people join a combat in progress (especially when you've almost won!)

On the other hand, we realize that it can be quite helpful to jump into fights in progress, so that you can complete certain quest goals faster.

We definitely want to promote an open-world feel, and to encourage cooperation among players. This is a massively multiplayer experience, after all.

Speaking for myself, if I join a combat by mistake, I will just hit the FLEE! button as soon as possible. When you leave combat that way, any extra monsters that spawned when you joined will despawn when you leave.