Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Witchdoctors and Privateers in PVP

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Dec 05, 2009
It is commonly agreed on that the powers of pvp are as followed-

1-Privateers
2-Musketeers
3-Swashbucklers
4-Witchdoctors
5-Buccaneers

This has to do with the classes. As a witchdoctor I have discovered several problems.

PRIVATEERS
Privateers are clearly the strongest pvp class without question. Some privateers argue that they are weak because they have no attacks, however these people simply don't realize that their companions are for the attacking, they don't need to attack at all. Privateers are in the only school with healing spells, and training "minor healing" just isn't enough for everyone else. A group healing of 100 isn't going to win you the battle and the regular minor healing typically does 200 and shouldn't be relied on more than that. Some gear may give healing cards but it still can't compare to a privateer's heals. I have had privateer companions at 30 health and the next round the companion is fully healed or gets an absorb shield. The absorb shield is extremely strong and nothing can be done about it. Unless you use strong attacks which go towards nothing on the player, that absorb isn't coming off any time soon, and may last the whole battle. It doesn't seem that privateers even need this spell considering all their heals, and 25%-50% damage reduction shields along with personal health of 2300-2700+. Their buffs stack and companion buffs stack with those, and many people agree that 2 of the same buff should not stack. When completely buffed, which only takes about 3 rounds to do, a privateer's companions will have a high critical and nearly a guaranteed chance to hit and dodge. At this point that match is over. If somehow, through all their buffs and healing, their companions are all killed, they just have elusive 3 to give them 50% dodge and the ability to run away until they find more heals. This goes along with their natural extremely high dodge. Privateers have an unfair advantage over every other school in pvp. Their heals are too much and too high, absorb shield is too powerful, and their buffs are too powerful and stackable.

WITCHDOCTORS
Jobu heal simply can't compare to a privateer heal. Jobu's embrace only does 200 per enemy which is a heal that won't help. The greatest eye spell is extremely weak even though it is the highest level spell. Mojo blade should enable a player to walk up to the target like a regular sword rather than requiring to be right next to the enemy, which just lets them run away. The electrical blast spells are too few and even the strongest one only does 200 per enemy typically. Witchdoctors need a staffy sight 2 (maybe even 3) ability that allows them to hit an extra spot away, not waste a turn walking. The shooting eye abilities is weak and should shoot in a V shape like bonnie anne's special attack. Enemies are never even in a line. The first jobu spell should take 50% health, the next one 75% and finally 100%. Witchdoctors are also the only school with no epic talents.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Of course, there can be things said, what gear are you using, what equipment do you have, what talents and powers have you trained... Many things go into what makes a school and class powerful or weak. If you have the wrong gear/equipment, you can lose tons of damage. You also need to get a strategy, work out buffs, know when to port away and keep at a distance.

Also, what is your range?

Its easy to say, oh we are weak and they are strong, but when you look at the aspects and strategies, most classes are very well balanced and can get gear drops that can help make up in their lacking areas.

Ensign
May 29, 2011
With the gear that gives witches 3 "valors armor" and 2 "the big guns", I dont think witch doctors can be slapped the "under powered" lable yet. I dont think privateers can be called over powered either. One thing i do agree with is that the effectiveness of buffs should not be stackable.

The only school that can really be complained about are buccaneers in my opinion. Every other school seems some-what balanced. I'm not a witch doctor so i cant fully understand what your saying, but the only thing that needs buffing is the eye spell. From what i've heard, it seems to be extremley useless and probably needs to be buffed up a bit.

Anyway, wd's seem pretty balanced. Whats kinda over powering them right now is the gear available to them. Take the time to farm the gear, and I assure you you'll get better.

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
Can we just leave the classes alone? Sheesh i hope Ki doesn't mess pvp in the game again. Some classes aren't made for pvp!

Dead-eye Luke, Awesome (I still approve of you thinking musketeers are second best in pvp

Cunning Luke Sharp, Nearly-Awesome

Ensign
Jun 17, 2009
Doom Pirate on Dec 27, 2012 wrote:

1-Privateers
2-Musketeers
3-Swashbucklers
4-Witchdoctors
5-Buccaneers

This has to do with the classes. As a witchdoctor I have discovered several problems.

PRIVATEERS
Privateers are clearly the strongest pvp class without question. Some privateers argue that they are weak because they have no attacks, however these people simply don't realize that their companions are for the attacking, they don't need to attack at all. Privateers are in the only school with healing spells, and training "minor healing" just isn't enough for everyone else. A group healing of 100 isn't going to win you the battle and the regular minor healing typically does 200 and shouldn't be relied on more than that. Some gear may give healing cards but it still can't compare to a privateer's heals. I have had privateer companions at 30 health and the next round the companion is fully healed or gets an absorb shield. The absorb shield is extremely strong and nothing can be done about it. Unless you use strong attacks which go towards nothing on the player, that absorb isn't coming off any time soon, and may last the whole battle. It doesn't seem that privateers even need this spell considering all their heals, and 25%-50% damage reduction shields along with personal health of 2300-2700+. Their buffs stack and companion buffs stack with those, and many people agree that 2 of the same buff should not stack. When completely buffed, which only takes about 3 rounds to do, a privateer's companions will have a high critical and nearly a guaranteed chance to hit and dodge. At this point that match is over. If somehow, through all their buffs and healing, their companions are all killed, they just have elusive 3 to give them 50% dodge and the ability to run away until they find more heals. This goes along with their natural extremely high dodge. Privateers have an unfair advantage over every other school in pvp. Their heals are too much and too high, absorb shield is too powerful, and their buffs are too powerful and stackable.

WITCHDOCTORS
Jobu heal simply can't compare to a privateer heal. Jobu's embrace only does 200 per enemy which is a heal that won't help. The greatest eye spell is extremely weak even though it is the highest level spell. Mojo blade should enable a player to walk up to the target like a regular sword rather than requiring to be right next to the enemy, which just lets them run away. The electrical blast spells are too few and even the strongest one only does 200 per enemy typically. Witchdoctors need a staffy sight 2 (maybe even 3) ability that allows them to hit an extra spot away, not waste a turn walking. The shooting eye abilities is weak and should shoot in a V shape like bonnie anne's special attack. Enemies are never even in a line. The first jobu spell should take 50% health, the next one 75% and finally 100%. Witchdoctors are also the only school with no epic talents.
Translation of the OP's post:

"I'm a Witchdoctor, and I can never beat a Privateer!!"

This is where it all starts. One class complaining that another one is overpowered, and they get hit with a nerf bat. Unfortunately for these people, KI has already stated there will be no nerfing of classes, just slight buffs.

If you find yourself losing against a Privateer, examine why that is instead of coming here and spouting off how much better they are than you. Many things come into play: strategy, gear, etc. Many people have already mentioned the gear that gives Witchdoctors Valor Armor, that's just an idea.

You also stated that Witchdoctors are the only school with no epic talents. As far as I know, Privateers don't get epics talents either.

I surely hope KI doesn't listen to people like this, it will only destroy the game more quickly.

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
Dead Eye Luke on Dec 31, 2012 wrote:
Can we just leave the classes alone? Sheesh i hope Ki doesn't mess pvp in the game again. Some classes aren't made for pvp!

Dead-eye Luke, Awesome (I still approve of you thinking musketeers are second best in pvp

Cunning Luke Sharp, Nearly-Awesome
"Some classes aren't made for pvp!" How exactly does that help? The guy is just giving his opinion, and while it is too early to decide which schools are OP or UP, he has the right to give his opinion. He also has some reasonable points.

Those two minor healing spells aren't really helpful at all in PvP. While Wing Chun and Kan Po can heal they don't usually last that long in matches. I think each school should be given a major healing power next update along with a buff. An example of the buff: 100 agility and 15% accuracy for 10 turns. That way all the classes stand a better chance and the Privateer class isn't nerfed at all.

Lucas Walker Sky Commander

Ensign
May 29, 2011
Lucas Walker on Dec 31, 2012 wrote:
"Some classes aren't made for pvp!" How exactly does that help? The guy is just giving his opinion, and while it is too early to decide which schools are OP or UP, he has the right to give his opinion. He also has some reasonable points.

Those two minor healing spells aren't really helpful at all in PvP. While Wing Chun and Kan Po can heal they don't usually last that long in matches. I think each school should be given a major healing power next update along with a buff. An example of the buff: 100 agility and 15% accuracy for 10 turns. That way all the classes stand a better chance and the Privateer class isn't nerfed at all.

You have to be joking, cause I really hope you are. You just want us to give out our spells to you just cause your not good enough at pvp? Shame. Look, Privateers heal. Thats there thing. Its always gonna be that way. Were the support school, its what we do. If everyone had heals what would we have? Were the least damaging school, we have these major and superior heals for a reason. We get them because we need them, and as far as i'm concerned every other school does not need a major heal.

But, every school does deserve some form of heal besides minor healing. It would be nice if everyone got a heal spell at the beggining of the game, like w101 got fairy. That makes sense, as long as its a spell for all schools, and not one privateers already have.

Minor healing is not that bad. Just yesterday i did 734 healing with it, and i've seen a witch doctor heal 800+ with it.

Ensign
Oct 18, 2012
I"m a Privateer, but I keep getting defeated in pvp ( also a lot of quests). For 1 reason: my opponent goes for my companions so I can"t heal them. Yes I could but a shield on them but the ones I do they go for a different one. 2. Once they go through the process of defeating my companions it would be very,very hard to win , since I'm not much of a fighter. 3. We might have more companions and fight through them but we can only pick 3 just like everyone else.

I also have a Witchdoctor so when I go in pvp she keeps wining because I have the right armor. Even when she fights Privateers one or two levels higher she can still beat them (just not have a lot of heath). So really it matters about you armor and sometimes level.

Really we are all even we just have strong points and weak points. I heard that Privateers and Witchdoctors are like the opposite so if that true then it would be harder to defeat each other ( that would be one of there weak points). Like other people said you just have work out the kinks and that also counts for armor. It all depends you could be a lower level then your opponent but you can still win if you have the right armor and what you spent your practice points on. Really we are all even or at least really close.

Ensign
Dec 05, 2009
Ijjob on Dec 31, 2012 wrote:

This is where it all starts. One class complaining that another one is overpowered, and they get hit with a nerf bat. Unfortunately for these people, KI has already stated there will be no nerfing of classes, just slight buffs.

If you find yourself losing against a Privateer, examine why that is instead of coming here and spouting off how much better they are than you. Many things come into play: strategy, gear, etc. Many people have already mentioned the gear that gives Witchdoctors Valor Armor, that's just an idea.

You also stated that Witchdoctors are the only school with no epic talents. As far as I know, Privateers don't get epics talents either.

I surely hope KI doesn't listen to people like this, it will only destroy the game more quickly.
As i have said before, valor armor is necessary for witchdoctors because they have no armor, just resist. I wasn't suggesting a nerf at all and you wont find it in any of my posts, I was just suggesting buffs where they were needed. I believe that valor armor may be substantial enough to balance the witchdoctor class, and make any major advantages less of a threat to other classes. I have posted a possible solution for buff stacking which is still in progress, hopefully people will give their feedback. Also, privateers do have epic talents, they have pirate2 and elusive3. Please make sure you are informed before making posts. Thank you.

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
Quick Mycin Ashbur... on Jan 1, 2013 wrote:
You have to be joking, cause I really hope you are. You just want us to give out our spells to you just cause your not good enough at pvp? Shame. Look, Privateers heal. Thats there thing. Its always gonna be that way. Were the support school, its what we do. If everyone had heals what would we have? Were the least damaging school, we have these major and superior heals for a reason. We get them because we need them, and as far as i'm concerned every other school does not need a major heal.

But, every school does deserve some form of heal besides minor healing. It would be nice if everyone got a heal spell at the beggining of the game, like w101 got fairy. That makes sense, as long as its a spell for all schools, and not one privateers already have.

Minor healing is not that bad. Just yesterday i did 734 healing with it, and i've seen a witch doctor heal 800+ with it.
The reason you healed so high was because of how high your will was. Not everyone's stats are focused on will. My suggestion was like pixie in W101. That's the kind of overreacting that messed up W101. The minor healing from rouse isn't always going to save us. A major healing spell would help and benefit everyone.

Before you refer to the gear that gives Rally or Revive, take into a consideration that you also have to give up stats for one power. Some people may be willing to do that, but others won't. It'd be better if every class got one major healing power like pixie, then have privateers get nerfed, or Ki give the other classes stat boosts and privateers fall behind. I also never said I can't win, don't put words into my mouth or attack me for giving an idea.

Ensign
Jun 17, 2009
nullPirate and Elusive are epics talents? That's news to me. From what I knew, epic talents were: Relentless, Reposte, Burst Fire, Vengeance Strike, etc.

Also, you claim to not suggest a nerf, but from your original post of "Their heals are too much and too high and absorb shield is too powerful", this suggests a buff to me. At least, that's what you seem to be hinting at.

Ensign
May 29, 2011
Lucas Walker on Jan 3, 2013 wrote:
The reason you healed so high was because of how high your will was. Not everyone's stats are focused on will. My suggestion was like pixie in W101. That's the kind of overreacting that messed up W101. The minor healing from rouse isn't always going to save us. A major healing spell would help and benefit everyone.

Before you refer to the gear that gives Rally or Revive, take into a consideration that you also have to give up stats for one power. Some people may be willing to do that, but others won't. It'd be better if every class got one major healing power like pixie, then have privateers get nerfed, or Ki give the other classes stat boosts and privateers fall behind. I also never said I can't win, don't put words into my mouth or attack me for giving an idea.

Hmm...Sorry if i came off a bit rude. But if you have the option to improve your healing with gear, do that instead. If you are not willing to give up the stats, thats your decision. Your problem.

Like I said, I'm cool with it as long as its not a spells exculsive to privateers .

Ensign
Dec 22, 2008
Agreed, not sure about witchdoctors though, but privateers being overpowered in pvp - 100% agreed.

Ensign
Dec 29, 2012
I think Witchdoctors are plenty helpful in a pvp game. They aren't really good one-on-one but they can buff the group and do area damage from far away.

Also, I play Witchdoctor but I also choose privateer's healing abilities with my practice points. Before you ask, yes, I did wait to use my practice points so that I would have all of the healing spells that have easy acess. This lets me do quite a bit of healing.

Ensign
Aug 13, 2010
I'd argue in favor of weakening (but not eliminating) the benefits of stacking Privateer Buffs, or limiting them somehow:
- If a Privateer uses a universal Buff like Discipline, only his or her own Companions get boosted
- If a Privateer uses something like Juju, anyone on the same 4-player team gets the boost because they are within a square range.

And once the levels increase and other classes get more Talents, I'd argue in still neglecting to give Privateers any Talents that grant extra hits. That's just not how they work; I'm a Privateer and I wouldn't have it any other way. Whatever KingsIsle does, I just hope they don't weaken the heals in any way... They're my favorite part of being a Privateer.

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009

1-Privateers
2-Musketeers
3-Swashbucklers
4-Witchdoctors
5-Buccaneers

PRIVATEERS

WITCHDOCTORS
I'm a privateer and disagree that we have an unfair advantage, Swashblucklers have their many stabs, Musketeers have their powerful ranged attacks, and we have our buffing and healing plus crewmates. We are good at dodging which helps us survive but in attack unless equipped with great weapons and have good attack cards we are rather weak. If you got your way we'd be nearly useless.

Privateers rule!

Ensign
Dec 21, 2009
hey, i'm a swashbuckler who defeated many privateers that are players so i totally disagree that privateers are the pvp powerhouses.I is awsome!

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009
Lucas Walker on Jan 3, 2013 wrote:

Why are you suggesting taking away privateer big healing? You can certainly learn that your self can't you? With the training points and all. You just lack training points to learn major healing powers don't you? So stop suggesting it ok?

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009

Agreed dude, agreed. We privateers don't get any epic talents that are that great besides "Battle Zeal". I'm learning Witch doctor spells and have made ghost wail go into like the 500s at some times so you're not underpowered at all.

See you in the game!

Merciful Noah Davis level 50 privateer

Ensign
Nov 05, 2012

1-Privateers
2-Musketeers
3-Swashbucklers
4-Witchdoctors
5-Buccaneers

PRIVATEERS

WITCHDOCTORS
About the v-shaped thing, there is a witchdoctor bonus card (you can't learn this) named burning palm. That bonus card attacks in a v-shaped area

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
noahdd on Feb 7, 2013 wrote:
Why are you suggesting taking away privateer big healing? You can certainly learn that your self can't you? With the training points and all. You just lack training points to learn major healing powers don't you? So stop suggesting it ok?
Hmm, let's see. Oh well any classes that aren't Privateer can only learn rouse and refresh. How about we learn a little something about the game before we jump in and reply.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This isn't really a big problem anymore since Bonnie now has Second Wind. All classes have at least one healer.

Lucas Walker

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012

I know right!!!

Ensign
Mar 15, 2011

1-Privateers
2-Musketeers
3-Swashbucklers
4-Witchdoctors
5-Buccaneers

PRIVATEERS

WITCHDOCTORS
To add on to this:

My friend is a privateer lv.27 but I keep beating him (I'm lv,35 swashbuckler).

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009
Lucas Walker on Mar 11, 2013 wrote:
Hmm, let's see. Oh well any classes that aren't Privateer can only learn rouse and refresh. How about we learn a little something about the game before we jump in and reply.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This isn't really a big problem anymore since Bonnie now has Second Wind. All classes have at least one healer.

Lucas Walker
Dude, or dudett I'm sorry, when I put that up I was angry.
Why? On this I was seeing people saying "Privateers are more powerful weaken them so we can beat them up!" you weren't saying that I know but I was angry.

I was a theurgist on Wizard101 and people everywhere were saying we were the weakest, that after a while got to me you see.

Please forgive me flarzedrago9 for my rash actions.

Merciful Noah David

Ensign
Nov 22, 2012
I myself am a privater i have good armor and spells but people my level still beat me it matters what strategy you use. Thats my opinion . friend if you find me i'm evan jones.