Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Companions are Shrinking!

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 15, 2011
I think that the size change for companions should not be passed. These companions have become practically dwarved from their original size. I read the updates notes, and it said it had something to do with camera issues. I never experienced these issues before, and If I did, it wouldn't be that bad. If people have so much problems with companions like Fin and Ridolfo, they should just go to options and change their follower to pet or no one. I like the big companions, as I own Fin as one, and never experienced these camera problems before. If it does pass through, at least make the change for smaller companions OPTIONAL. I can't look at Fin or Ridolfo the same way anymore, even though their change will make them as tall as you, and that looks way to awkward on normally large companions! Please, at least make this change optional, I don't want to walk around with a 3-foot tall shark or unicorn. What do you think of this change they are testing out? Post on what you think below. Thanks for listening. :)

Cheyenne

Petty Officer
Feb 24, 2012
Th' camera issues be real, personally,
i opted fer draggin' me pet around instead, also,
me trusty parrot mount be a monster 'n i wouldnt like him any other way,
i agree, leave it alone

Ensign
Nov 21, 2010
Can someone PLEASE tell me what happened to my brother's Sloth, Oingo Boingo and some of his other companions! There mini now, is there a way to fix this? If not, can you add something to let him be able to switch it back to regular size instead of his characters?

Level 39 Buccaneer

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
I liked them all different sizes, some huge, it addes flavor and looked great. It looked more realistic and the larger ones were like, wow look at him. Again, don't fix what isn't broken as it upsets players and makes the game worse.

Ensign
Jan 15, 2011
Fluffy Puppy on Nov 8, 2012 wrote:
Can someone PLEASE tell me what happened to my brother's Sloth, Oingo Boingo and some of his other companions! There mini now, is there a way to fix this? If not, can you add something to let him be able to switch it back to regular size instead of his characters?

Level 39 Buccaneer

It was a type of update they did, the companions are now much shorter, about as tall as your character. I think it looks kind of awkward. I wish they changed it back. ):

Cheyenne

Petty Officer
Feb 24, 2012
Yo whatchy47 ye wont spy wit' ye eye 'tis reply 'til to'morrow, but, yea, KI did it,

too many band 'o pirates complainin' 'bout their companions blockin' th' camera view, their view etc

kinda sad really, i liked seein' them runnin' 'bout, different colors, band 'o pirates bondin' wit' companions etc etc

pack em up if it bothers ye i shout

Ensign
Nov 20, 2010
I think the size change should be optional. my sloth el toro oingo boingo kobe and others have shrunk. i never expirienced these "camera problems" Please make this optional KI

two faced davy urswick 39

Petty Officer
May 24, 2009
i noticed this also, when i go onto my witchdoctor char. my goat monk looks like been shrunk in the dryer for to long, my goat monk was perfectly fine in till the companions change of height idea was made, fix this problem, i dont know who told you this KI about companions being way to tall, but that person shouldnt even be allowed to make suggestions like that, and i agree with some of the people on this board about the height change, if there are some companions that are to tall fix those companions, but change the rest back to there original size, i dont want my goat monk looking like the size of a Monquistador or the size of a watermole.

Community Leader
Although I can appreciate the varied sizes of the companions, and how they represent within the game I can definately also appreciate the problems with camera views. These were definately a problem.
Offering the solution of changing to your pet, or no follower is a "workaround" for the problem, but NOT a solution, as those with camera issues could not select their companions as followers, and everyone should be able to do so without it having a detrimental effect on game play.
People should keep in mind that players all use varying computer systems, video configurations, resolution settings, etc. The game needs to be written to accomodate ALL of these fairly. Just because it works for you does not mean it works the same for others and they just have different preferences. Its not a preference issue, its an issue with functionality.
Thanks KI for listening!

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
Dec 09, 2008
I want them back the way they were. I never had camera issues. I agree with others it should be a option. They just look dumb now.

Ensign
Jan 15, 2011
Dr Zeppers on Nov 9, 2012 wrote:
Although I can appreciate the varied sizes of the companions, and how they represent within the game I can definately also appreciate the problems with camera views. These were definately a problem.
Offering the solution of changing to your pet, or no follower is a "workaround" for the problem, but NOT a solution, as those with camera issues could not select their companions as followers, and everyone should be able to do so without it having a detrimental effect on game play.
People should keep in mind that players all use varying computer systems, video configurations, resolution settings, etc. The game needs to be written to accomodate ALL of these fairly. Just because it works for you does not mean it works the same for others and they just have different preferences. Its not a preference issue, its an issue with functionality.
Thanks KI for listening!
That is why I added the idea that it should be optional for the people who are having these problems.

Cheyenne

Ensign
Mar 23, 2011
I don't like some of my companions small.
ratbeard,suboday, and kan po are the some of ones who are looking small.they look much better big.
it should be optional for the ones who like them small,they would see all companions small.
now something I can't understand is why sarah steele and bonnie anne look normal.

Petty Officer
Aug 22, 2010
I HATE the migit companions. It looks weird... it disturbs the look of the game... it looks weird... it doesn't make sense to have migit companions that grow to full size when you enter battle... & it looks weird.

I had some problems with companions blocking the camera... occasionally... but it wasn't that big a deal for me b/c the problem was rare. When it did happen I just dealt with it. NO BIG DEAL.

Personally I switched to the (show pet) option when I got the armadillo pet b/c he looked so funny rolling around & then popping up when we stopped moving.

KI needs to make the (migit companion) feature optional like others have suggested, b/c it looks weird.

Community Leader
Pie Rate on Nov 11, 2012 wrote:
That is why I added the idea that it should be optional for the people who are having these problems.

Cheyenne
The way I see it, the game as it was, wasnt working as designed, so they had to adjust it. It wasnt a matter of preference necessarily. But this is obviously going to come down to a matter of individual perspectives.
Funny thing to me is, that I actually changed to my pet due to preference because I thought the companions looked freakishly large before, not all a normal look.. hated it the way it was! Despised the humongo companion look, not because of camera views but because it just looked weird. So I applauded KIs change because it made complete sense to me. With the change I find myself changing back to companion as follower on occasion.

Anyone else feel the same way? Im not trying to argue, just trying to make sure both sides of the issue are represented, usually only those that are unhappy with a change comment on it. Those that are happy with the change seldom do.
Just my 2 gold pieces on the subject!!!

Happy Pirating! - OFxSaint
Silent Sam Stern - Lvl 50 - Witchdoctor

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
Aug 13, 2010
It's a shame that the companion size change couldn't have been made optional. It would definitely make both sides very happy. I could run around with an oversized Fin Dorsal and other people could avoid those nasty 'camera issues'.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Oddly, some of my companions appear to have shrunk ( the cat swashbuckler) while others (Bonnie Anne) appear to have remained larger. While it was occasionally irksome to have them block the view, it is equally annoying when one gets an extreme close-up of, say, a ship's beam when in a battle.

I rather miss my cat being taller than my pirate, and wish I could find a way to make him bigger.

Ensign
Nov 15, 2010
I also wish that the option had been added since the reason I keep my Helephant as my first mate is because of his presence. With him shrunk to a little more than half, he loses a lot of his coolness factor.

I used to keep my mount unequipped just to show him off. Now, the look isn't worth the reduced speed.