Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Roleplay!

AuthorMessage
First Mate
Dec 13, 2009
Highlander Fox of ... on Jun 19, 2013 wrote:
(Thank you, now we can make it a lot more interesting!)

After sending her first mate, Bonnie, to stop Ratbeard from sailing the ship, Emma stared upward at the Wharf Rat gang. She narrowed her eyes and unsheathed a cutlass with a golden hand guard, and stated, "If you asked I could have, and will if you still want to. But if not I'm prepared for a fight." Her voice was grim. "Unless you want to leave here with electrocuted fur and scratches-" she held a sniper rifle from Cool Ranch in her other hand- "I suggest you take a seat or leave now."

She hoped the wharf rats would obey, but she was prepared in case they didn't. She was always well prepared. In fact, that's what got her to reach the Admiral rank in the Royal Navy in Marleybone.

Then she turned to face Anne and smiled again. "Heya Anne, how are ya? Skyways being kind? And errr... Yes, the Water-mole is ill, and I'm low on gold but with that accursed skyway restriction, so yea."

But then Emma gasped as she saw the injured Destiny walk in. The Musketeer noted her several tears in her clothing, her leg, and hand. She seemed to be in terrible shape.

"Are you alright?" She called, still careful to remember the trouble making wharf rats.

See ya in the Skyways!
Sneaky Emma Everhart
Looks like I need to read before I post.

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Sep 28, 2013 wrote:
The sorceress rounded angrily upon her allies. "You can't have these," she snapped. "It has been long since I drained the life force from a fellow human. This boy and girl are my prize. Go seek your own!"

"We will have charge of any humans discovered here," the Armada officer insisted coldly.

"Not these," Azami retorted, with even greater emphasis. "But these, my prisoners, have confederates around here somewhere. One of them is surely the one you are looking for, the girl musketeer. Find her and she is yours."

There was a moment of silence, broken only by the faint whirring of gears. Then, without another word, the Armada soldiers pivoted on their heels and left the way they had come. Azami turned towards her 'prizes' and smiled, quite unpleasantly. "I will leave you now, my little ones. I have to prepare my spell. I haven't yet decided which of you I should take first. But don't worry, it won't hurt... at least, for long." And with that parting shot, she swept out of the building, her silk skirts swirling, knowing that Jack and Anne still stood immobile, like contested toys forgotten by quarrelling children.

But Emma had not been discovered. Nor was she immobile. The warning fox presence departed and she knew she was free to act as she chose.
Emma's heart skipped about three beats at Azami's words. Azami knew she was here... The blonde nearly passed out as the clockworks and Azami herself swept out of the room. If only... If only she hadn't gotten them into this mess. It was all her fault. If she had listened to Avery and the prohibition, Anne and Jack's lives wouldn't be in danger right now! Her own life wouldn't be endangered right now! What was she supposed to do!

Captain
Mar 09, 2011
CdeWinter on Sep 25, 2013 wrote:
OOC: I've actually been holding off on posting, because I wasn't sure if Anne meant that the castle disappeared, or that the crackling blue film (forcefield?) had disappeared, however I will use Elizabeth's idea that it was indeed the castle that disappeared, sounds more interesting anyways.

"Ow, you have sharp elbows. Or was that a stick stuck to your elbow?" Scarlet hissed quietly. "No, you are not going crazy, the castle appears to be gone. Maybe we're having a collective hallucination?" Scarlet shrugged and looked around her.

Strangely, the surrounding wall and towers were still there, just the central building had vanished.
"This definetly makes it harder to see if the others are in danger. Perhaps we should free some prisoners instead?"
Lizzy sighed. "Yeah, I have sharp elbows. But I don't know. I definitely think that we should free prisoners, but our post here is to make sure that nothing happens to Captain Jack, Anne, or Emma." Lizzy gestured to the open field, "and something has definitely happened. I think we should investigate, what about you?"

Lieutenant
Feb 20, 2010
Hey guys! Today I am writing about Black Lily, my witchdoctor.

An ominious wind sets over The Golden Dawn. "Something be wrong captain my captain. I an' an i can feel it." Old Scratch says. "So can I. Something dark is upcoming......" I say. Hmm.... what could it be? "Cap'n! Get out of ye trance! We got a ship incoming!" Bonnie Anne shouts. "Then hoist the sails! Man the cannons! All hands on deck!" Lucky Jack Russel yells. Ah, he is such a good first mate. My crew bustles about the ship as strange things board my ship. They don't seem so bad..... until I feel a sharp pain in my chest and everything turns black.

Wait next week for the end! Sorry to keep you waiting, though i got piratin' to do!
Ciao for now!

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Just Add Bacon on Sep 30, 2013 wrote:
Lizzy sighed. "Yeah, I have sharp elbows. But I don't know. I definitely think that we should free prisoners, but our post here is to make sure that nothing happens to Captain Jack, Anne, or Emma." Lizzy gestured to the open field, "and something has definitely happened. I think we should investigate, what about you?"
"Oui, you are correct Lizzy. They have been gone for quite a while. I guess a closer look is called for." Scarlet replied in barey audible whispers. Just as Scarlet began moving from her position on the wall, she noticed a group of Armada soldiers and the female witchdoctor appear in the empty field and begin walking away while arguing amongst themselves.

"Look Lizzy, it appears that the building is still there, just invisible. We should be able to find a way in without too much trouble."

OOC: I hope I got that bit about the witchdoctor leaving the building with the armada right.
Second, For Frozen Muskets; We are currently working on a specific storyline here, you are welcome to join it if you can find a feasible way, although the story is very near the end I'm assuming. If you want to start your own roleplay than please do, it looks like it will be an interesting story that I might like to join. Just please start it as its own new post, Thank you.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
CdeWinter on Oct 1, 2013 wrote:
"Oui, you are correct Lizzy. They have been gone for quite a while. I guess a closer look is called for." Scarlet replied in barey audible whispers. Just as Scarlet began moving from her position on the wall, she noticed a group of Armada soldiers and the female witchdoctor appear in the empty field and begin walking away while arguing amongst themselves.

"Look Lizzy, it appears that the building is still there, just invisible. We should be able to find a way in without too much trouble."

OOC: I hope I got that bit about the witchdoctor leaving the building with the armada right.
Second, For Frozen Muskets; We are currently working on a specific storyline here, you are welcome to join it if you can find a feasible way, although the story is very near the end I'm assuming. If you want to start your own roleplay than please do, it looks like it will be an interesting story that I might like to join. Just please start it as its own new post, Thank you.
OOC: yes, the witchdoctor and the Armada soldiers have left the building. From your vantage point you can see the soldiers fanning out, obviously searching, but there are not many of them and you likely can easily avoid them. The witchdoctor turned about and looks to be entering the old castle ruins. With some care, you can get into that main building either through the front door or the back window as the other pirates did earlier.

Inside the bubble (which you are unless you step out) everything is visible.

And, Emma, in case you are wondering what to do, remember you have something special on you that protected you from a spell. Perhaps it can be used to break a spell on others?

And yes, the story should be very near its end!

Lieutenant
Feb 20, 2010
Ok, finally more on Black Lily!

"Uuuuuugh... where am i?" I moan. "Well well well, you've FINALLY woken up." a mysterious voice says. Intimidated, i reach for my staff. Great. I can't move. "Who are you?" I ask. "Who am I? I am Meowiarty, criminal mastermind." he replies quite smugly. "Well, what do you want with me Meowiarty? I don't even know you...." I reply, quite confused. "Oh i don't want anything with you my dear..... I want something with your crew... Lucky Jack Russel in peticular." he answers. "Get your dirty paws off both of them!" Someone shouts. Wait, i know that voice.... a flash of green light erupts from the ground and a dragon snaps off my chains. A valiant figure with wavy brown hair, piercing green eyes, a flowing, green robe and a serpent staff stands in the doorway, flanked by two dragons. Wait... that's Katie Greenflame the life wizard! Goody two-shoes.... Not missing a beat, I cast a spell and soon Meowiarty is in a headlock by one of my skeletons. I stalk over to him. "You have just made two mistakes." i say. "One. Underestimating me. Two. Becoming my enemy." I raise my staff over his head, about to drain the life out of him when Katie hollers, "Stop!" "Why should i? i retort. "We should bring him to justice!" "And what? Let him escape? Great idea!" I yell. "Fine." she says. "Never liked him anyways." And telports away in a swirl of leaves. "Now where was I? Oh yes...." i say, turning back to him. I raise my staff once more, gather up some energy and leave him to the spirits. "Good work crew. Lets go home." I say, almost too happy about my success. And me and my crew disappear in a swath of smoke.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Frozenmuskets on Oct 4, 2013 wrote:
Ok, finally more on Black Lily!

"Uuuuuugh... where am i?" I moan. "Well well well, you've FINALLY woken up." a mysterious voice says. Intimidated, i reach for my staff. Great. I can't move. "Who are you?" I ask. "Who am I? I am Meowiarty, criminal mastermind." he replies quite smugly. "Well, what do you want with me Meowiarty? I don't even know you...." I reply, quite confused. "Oh i don't want anything with you my dear..... I want something with your crew... Lucky Jack Russel in peticular." he answers. "Get your dirty paws off both of them!" Someone shouts. Wait, i know that voice.... a flash of green light erupts from the ground and a dragon snaps off my chains. A valiant figure with wavy brown hair, piercing green eyes, a flowing, green robe and a serpent staff stands in the doorway, flanked by two dragons. Wait... that's Katie Greenflame the life wizard! Goody two-shoes.... Not missing a beat, I cast a spell and soon Meowiarty is in a headlock by one of my skeletons. I stalk over to him. "You have just made two mistakes." i say. "One. Underestimating me. Two. Becoming my enemy." I raise my staff over his head, about to drain the life out of him when Katie hollers, "Stop!" "Why should i? i retort. "We should bring him to justice!" "And what? Let him escape? Great idea!" I yell. "Fine." she says. "Never liked him anyways." And telports away in a swirl of leaves. "Now where was I? Oh yes...." i say, turning back to him. I raise my staff once more, gather up some energy and leave him to the spirits. "Good work crew. Lets go home." I say, almost too happy about my success. And me and my crew disappear in a swath of smoke.
Hrmm? Uh, Black Lily? Do you know that you have entered a story where the participants are in Mooshu, at the location of a secret factory that has been set up in an ancient castle? A situation where two of our heroes are currently trapped but there are three heroes at large and I am sure about to rescue them so we can finish the denoument? And I rather think that the prospect of a witchdoctor about to "drain the life out of" someone would be poorly received right now, considering the fate Anne and Jack are facing.

I envision the story of "Tea Leaves of Doom" rather like a book, a book with multiple authors, where the sequences mesh with one another and follow the same plot line, as much as possible. I did enjoy the rather snarky comment about "Katie Greenflame, the life wizard. Goody two-shoes..." I'm just not sure how this fits into the existing storyline.

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Oct 6, 2013 wrote:
Hrmm? Uh, Black Lily? Do you know that you have entered a story where the participants are in Mooshu, at the location of a secret factory that has been set up in an ancient castle? A situation where two of our heroes are currently trapped but there are three heroes at large and I am sure about to rescue them so we can finish the denoument? And I rather think that the prospect of a witchdoctor about to "drain the life out of" someone would be poorly received right now, considering the fate Anne and Jack are facing.

I envision the story of "Tea Leaves of Doom" rather like a book, a book with multiple authors, where the sequences mesh with one another and follow the same plot line, as much as possible. I did enjoy the rather snarky comment about "Katie Greenflame, the life wizard. Goody two-shoes..." I'm just not sure how this fits into the existing storyline.
Honestly, I agree here. Frozen muskets, if you intend on joining a Roleplay, please read all of the posts or at least request a summary of what has happened before joining and we can help you to get in. Please.

~

Emma was uncertain of what to do- for a mere moment. She soon remembered, as it glowed and burned a bit, the rose quartz she and the others had recovered earlier. It had protected her from the accursed hex- maybe it could be use to free both Anne and Jack from their current state of immobility. Her hand slipped into her pocket for the moment, and she fingered the smooth, pale fuchsia surface of the rosy mineral. She lifted it out slowly and examined it. It was no normal jewel, as Savannah would say. The blonde cautiously climbed up from her hiding place without a sound, and went across the platform, praying she wouldn't be caught-

She wasn't.

Emma exhaled. The Musketeer walked over to Jack first, and managed somehow to free him from the immobility with whatever power resided in the pebble, and then made her way over to Anne.

"I'm so sorry I got y'all into this..."

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Highlander Fox of ... on Oct 8, 2013 wrote:
Honestly, I agree here. Frozen muskets, if you intend on joining a Roleplay, please read all of the posts or at least request a summary of what has happened before joining and we can help you to get in. Please.

~

Emma was uncertain of what to do- for a mere moment. She soon remembered, as it glowed and burned a bit, the rose quartz she and the others had recovered earlier. It had protected her from the accursed hex- maybe it could be use to free both Anne and Jack from their current state of immobility. Her hand slipped into her pocket for the moment, and she fingered the smooth, pale fuchsia surface of the rosy mineral. She lifted it out slowly and examined it. It was no normal jewel, as Savannah would say. The blonde cautiously climbed up from her hiding place without a sound, and went across the platform, praying she wouldn't be caught-

She wasn't.

Emma exhaled. The Musketeer walked over to Jack first, and managed somehow to free him from the immobility with whatever power resided in the pebble, and then made her way over to Anne.

"I'm so sorry I got y'all into this..."
Anne breathed a long sigh of relief. She still looked rather blue around the lips, with an exhausted look around the eyes, but the latter seemed to vanish as she broke into a radiant grin.

"Thanks, Emma, I needed that!" She stretched to get the kinks out of her back from the period of immobility. "And there is no need to apologize. I wouldn't say you got us into this trouble -- I am very capable of getting into lots of trouble all on my own!" Anne concluded merrily.

Then she became slightly more serious. "Now we can get back to work. Let's set the gelignite charges and get out of here. When the whole thing blows --I can hope it will take Azami with it, but that is probably too much to hope for-- it should create a huge diversion. I think we can try to free Azami's slaves in the confusion, then we find Elizabeth and Scarlet, and get out of here," Anne finished a trifle breathlessly, as she was heading towards the platform and swinging the gelignite off her back as she spoke. That sorceress would be coming back any time now, and they needed to have this done before she did so.

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Oct 9, 2013 wrote:
Anne breathed a long sigh of relief. She still looked rather blue around the lips, with an exhausted look around the eyes, but the latter seemed to vanish as she broke into a radiant grin.

"Thanks, Emma, I needed that!" She stretched to get the kinks out of her back from the period of immobility. "And there is no need to apologize. I wouldn't say you got us into this trouble -- I am very capable of getting into lots of trouble all on my own!" Anne concluded merrily.

Then she became slightly more serious. "Now we can get back to work. Let's set the gelignite charges and get out of here. When the whole thing blows --I can hope it will take Azami with it, but that is probably too much to hope for-- it should create a huge diversion. I think we can try to free Azami's slaves in the confusion, then we find Elizabeth and Scarlet, and get out of here," Anne finished a trifle breathlessly, as she was heading towards the platform and swinging the gelignite off her back as she spoke. That sorceress would be coming back any time now, and they needed to have this done before she did so.
"Fire will prove as a risk to us- it's hard to stop, but not impossible, and could finish us off as well as Azami. We need a timed explosion that will be difficult to pause." The explosives master as she declared herself to be grabbed a pistol from her belt, and said, "You see, electricity is another way to ignite gelignite, and a less dangerous way as well. It is easily timed, and will provide plenty of time to escape- thirty minutes. If I shoot the pistol from a range, it'll give us a surplus of time as well, and make it impossible for Azami to stop it. The charges sink into the fuse enough and quickly that it also takes a while to begin the explosion, but yet makes it impossible to stop. I wanted to ask permission before offering to shoot it once the gelignite charges are set up." Emma explained.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Highlander Fox of ... on Oct 11, 2013 wrote:
"Fire will prove as a risk to us- it's hard to stop, but not impossible, and could finish us off as well as Azami. We need a timed explosion that will be difficult to pause." The explosives master as she declared herself to be grabbed a pistol from her belt, and said, "You see, electricity is another way to ignite gelignite, and a less dangerous way as well. It is easily timed, and will provide plenty of time to escape- thirty minutes. If I shoot the pistol from a range, it'll give us a surplus of time as well, and make it impossible for Azami to stop it. The charges sink into the fuse enough and quickly that it also takes a while to begin the explosion, but yet makes it impossible to stop. I wanted to ask permission before offering to shoot it once the gelignite charges are set up." Emma explained.
Anne nodded. "I do like the idea of surviving after setting up an explosion," she replied cheekily. "I'm glad you know so much about explosives," she added more seriously.

Anne paused thoughtfully. "I was thinking of having the explosion as a diversion so we could get the slaves out of their quarters and sneak them out of the fortress, but you are right. This could be a lot bigger explosion than we thought -- especially as we don't know what alchemical reagents are stored in those cupboards."

"Let's do this under your direction. You set the charge, we go find the slaves, get them away from this central building, and wait for the explosion. Then under cover of confusion, we get everybody out."

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
(OOC: Lizzy, Scarlet? Where are you presently? Are you catching up to the pirate saboteurs in the main building or rescuing the alchemists or?? I want to bring you into this too -- and not confronting an explosion about to go off!)

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Oct 15, 2013 wrote:
(OOC: Lizzy, Scarlet? Where are you presently? Are you catching up to the pirate saboteurs in the main building or rescuing the alchemists or?? I want to bring you into this too -- and not confronting an explosion about to go off!)
[OOC: I'm actually not sure where Scarlet is, I assume that Anne, Emma, and Jack are going to ahem, trip over them quite soon. I think they are meeting up with the saboteurs, but since Scarlet and Lizzy are still wearing their disguises, I was trying to think of a slightly humorous way to have them actually meet up. So far I haven't been able to think of something I liked, so please go ahead and have the two groups meet up. I know that whatever you write will be good.]

Captain
Mar 09, 2011
Anne Radcliffe on Oct 15, 2013 wrote:
OOC: I'm sorry to say that I've been having writer's block, and I've kinda been needing Scarlet's help to get past it. I was hoping that by continuing to read the roleplay without doing anything would help, but presently it hasn't. Sowwe. Scarlet, would you mind too much continuing to write without me please?

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
CdeWinter on Oct 15, 2013 wrote:
[OOC: I'm actually not sure where Scarlet is, I assume that Anne, Emma, and Jack are going to ahem, trip over them quite soon. I think they are meeting up with the saboteurs, but since Scarlet and Lizzy are still wearing their disguises, I was trying to think of a slightly humorous way to have them actually meet up. So far I haven't been able to think of something I liked, so please go ahead and have the two groups meet up. I know that whatever you write will be good.]
(Ah, I had forgotten about the disguises... yes, I can work with that )

The gelignite was all set in place. Emma set the fuse -- and the pirates made their way quietly but with all due haste out of the back window of the storeroom.

Anne looked around to get her bearings. They needed to find where the quarters for the slave alchemists were, and quickly, if they wanted to be able to use the diversion of the exploding building, as well as be certain they were far away from it. Emma had predicted that with the amount of gelignite used, it was going to be quite a blast.

She noted some bushes that would give cover right near one of the side buildings. They would have to cross only a little bit of open ground to get there, so Anne signaled to Emma and Jack to follow her, looked carefully towards the path and up on the ramparts to make sure no guards were watching, and then quickly scurried across.

But when Anne flung herself in among the bushes, she found that they did not feel like bushes at all. She collided with a warm body that gave way with a startled 'oomph!'. Anne swallowed most of a surprised squeak, emitting just a little mouse-like sound, trying to roll off the person and onto her feet in a crouch.

"Tais-toi! Be quiet," Scarlet hissed.

"Sorry," Anne apologized, very quietly.

"Ow, Anne, you may not be notorious for sharp elbows, but you sure have a hard head," Lizzy commented comically, being careful to use the same soft volume.

"Nice to know that our disguises au natural work at close range," Scarlet commented dryly. "Hello, Emma. Hello Jack." The two were crouched a short distance away, having seen Anne's error and stopping themselves before they followed suit.

"Emma set a timed charge on the gelignite. There's a sorceress; she's coming back. We want to find the sorceress' alchemist slaves and rescue them before the explosion goes off."

Scarlet blinked. She certainly had questions about this succinct summary, but the most pragmatic first. "How long do we have?"

"A little less than one bell's time," Emma replied, automatically using the nautical term for 'half an hour'.

"We saw some shacks that were guarded by a few samoorai as we made our way here," Lizzy commented thoughtfully. "If they have slaves, it seems a logical place for them."

"Lead the way!" Anne replied eagerly.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Lizzy and Scarlet led the others to the shabby huts they suspected held the alchemist slaves. It looked pretty much like someone had just shifted some of the rubble of the ancient fortress, and made makeshift shacks, with no windows, incomplete roofs, and doors fastened by a simple bar across. The shacks looked as if a mildly concerted effort would free the people inside. Obviously Azami did not fear her slaves trying to escape.

The two samoorai guards present seemed to have an equal lack of concern. The two guards were not even on guard, but rather squatting on the ground and playing some sort of game involving dice and pebbles.

"This doesn't look hard," Anne murmured. "I don't think we need to seriously hurt them. Just make sure they are out of the way for a little while."

She grinned at her two friends who had missed the 'adventures' in the poison factory. "Scarlet, Lizzy, would you like to do the honors?"

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Oct 20, 2013 wrote:
Lizzy and Scarlet led the others to the shabby huts they suspected held the alchemist slaves. It looked pretty much like someone had just shifted some of the rubble of the ancient fortress, and made makeshift shacks, with no windows, incomplete roofs, and doors fastened by a simple bar across. The shacks looked as if a mildly concerted effort would free the people inside. Obviously Azami did not fear her slaves trying to escape.

The two samoorai guards present seemed to have an equal lack of concern. The two guards were not even on guard, but rather squatting on the ground and playing some sort of game involving dice and pebbles.

"This doesn't look hard," Anne murmured. "I don't think we need to seriously hurt them. Just make sure they are out of the way for a little while."

She grinned at her two friends who had missed the 'adventures' in the poison factory. "Scarlet, Lizzy, would you like to do the honors?"
OOC: Sorry, I really can't think of anything to write here. I've sat, re-read the entire thread and still can't think of anything to write. I think Elizabeth needs to handle this one.

Captain
Mar 09, 2011
CdeWinter on Oct 29, 2013 wrote:
OOC: Sorry, I really can't think of anything to write here. I've sat, re-read the entire thread and still can't think of anything to write. I think Elizabeth needs to handle this one.
I don't think I can either. I've been having writer's block for this thread for ages, and I'm kind of hoping... Anne, do you think you could control Lizzy for a little bit until I can write again? It may only have to be for a page, but still, I'd very much appreciate it.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Just Add Bacon on Oct 30, 2013 wrote:
I don't think I can either. I've been having writer's block for this thread for ages, and I'm kind of hoping... Anne, do you think you could control Lizzy for a little bit until I can write again? It may only have to be for a page, but still, I'd very much appreciate it.
(No prob. Hope Lizzy doesn't sound too much like Anne, and apologize if I do.)

Elizabeth and Scarlet snuck up behind the two guards. The samoorai hired for this job were not of the highest quality, and had not received any challenge from the cowed souls they guarded. Truthfully, they were bored.

"We play endless games of Nyout,*" one was grumbling. "Nothing ever happens around here."

"You're sore because you usually lose," commented the other, moving a counter after throwing a stick die. "Aha! That's my third horse now entered the House of the North Wind. One more horse, and I win again."

"Ha! Not if I can help it," retorted the other, grabbing the dice himself.

Lizzy and Scarlet exchanged a look. This was almost too easy. Scarlet gave a nod, and Lizzy moved around while Scarlet crept closer behind.

A moment later, Elizabeth stepped in front of them. The shadows were thick enough and the soldiers so engaged in playing, that they didn't even notice -- at first.

"Hi!" Elizabeth said cheekily.

The two samoorai straightened their backs bolt upright in shock, their heads rising together. This made it easy for Scarlet to seize the far side of each of their heads and knock them firmly together. One good clunk, and the two fell senseless.

"Bien," Scarlet breathed with satisfaction. "Now, you get the others and enter the shacks -- be careful, in case there is a guard inside. I'll move these to the other side of the huts here, so they will be out of harms way when the explosion goes off."

Lizzy did so, and a moment later she, Emma, Jack, and Anne came to the first door. It wasn't locked, which was not terribly surprising as it looked as if a stiff wind would knock the whole hut down, never mind the door. They peered into the room.

The room was poorly lit, but enough light was available to reveal that no guard was in residence. The room was lit dimly by a brazier on which rested a small pot where alchemists had made a meager dinner of rice. They looked stunned seeing the human faces that appeared around the door.

"We're here to rescue you!" Anne blurted out eagerly.

While several faces looked frightened and wary, others quickly stood up, silent but evidently eager to find any way out. After a moment, all of the alchemists stood, though one took longer, an old Goat man, raising up on a cane.

"Can you get us all out?" the old one asked hopefully, yet with a resigned air as if he suspected he would be left behind.

"We can get you all out," Emma replied firmly. "Follow me to the gates, quietly, and everyone helping those who need it."

While the inhabitants of that hut began to follow Emma, the other pirates opened the remaining shacks and got the others out. Soon all the alchemists were following with quiet care. Emma kept a sense of the time. About five minutes to the explosion, she reckoned...

*(Nyout is an ancient Korean race game, very fun, the simple board easily scratched into any reasonable surface.)

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Nov 4, 2013 wrote:
(No prob. Hope Lizzy doesn't sound too much like Anne, and apologize if I do.)

Elizabeth and Scarlet snuck up behind the two guards. The samoorai hired for this job were not of the highest quality, and had not received any challenge from the cowed souls they guarded. Truthfully, they were bored.

"We play endless games of Nyout,*" one was grumbling. "Nothing ever happens around here."

"You're sore because you usually lose," commented the other, moving a counter after throwing a stick die. "Aha! That's my third horse now entered the House of the North Wind. One more horse, and I win again."

"Ha! Not if I can help it," retorted the other, grabbing the dice himself.

Lizzy and Scarlet exchanged a look. This was almost too easy. Scarlet gave a nod, and Lizzy moved around while Scarlet crept closer behind.

A moment later, Elizabeth stepped in front of them. The shadows were thick enough and the soldiers so engaged in playing, that they didn't even notice -- at first.

"Hi!" Elizabeth said cheekily.

The two samoorai straightened their backs bolt upright in shock, their heads rising together. This made it easy for Scarlet to seize the far side of each of their heads and knock them firmly together. One good clunk, and the two fell senseless.

"Bien," Scarlet breathed with satisfaction. "Now, you get the others and enter the shacks -- be careful, in case there is a guard inside. I'll move these to the other side of the huts here, so they will be out of harms way when the explosion goes off."

Lizzy did so, and a moment later she, Emma, Jack, and Anne came to the first door. It wasn't locked, which was not terribly surprising as it looked as if a stiff wind would knock the whole hut down, never mind the door. They peered into the room.

The room was poorly lit, but enough light was available to reveal that no guard was in residence. The room was lit dimly by a brazier on which rested a small pot where alchemists had made a meager dinner of rice. They looked stunned seeing the human faces that appeared around the door.

"We're here to rescue you!" Anne blurted out eagerly.

While several faces looked frightened and wary, others quickly stood up, silent but evidently eager to find any way out. After a moment, all of the alchemists stood, though one took longer, an old Goat man, raising up on a cane.

"Can you get us all out?" the old one asked hopefully, yet with a resigned air as if he suspected he would be left behind.

"We can get you all out," Emma replied firmly. "Follow me to the gates, quietly, and everyone helping those who need it."

While the inhabitants of that hut began to follow Emma, the other pirates opened the remaining shacks and got the others out. Soon all the alchemists were following with quiet care. Emma kept a sense of the time. About five minutes to the explosion, she reckoned...

*(Nyout is an ancient Korean race game, very fun, the simple board easily scratched into any reasonable surface.)
Evading the watchers on the walls, the pirates and the scraggly line of escaping alchemists carefully threaded their way towards the main gate. In front of the gate were two guards, half-dozing on this peaceful evening. Well, they wouldn't be dozing for long, Emma thought to herself with satisfaction. Just another minute or two to the expected explosion.

The guards suddenly snapped to attention. Warned by this action, the pirates, instinctively sought to hide deeper in the shadows, but almost immediately realized that with the freed prisoners with them, hiding was impossible. With a distinctive snap and swirl of silk, the sorceress Azami stormed into view.

The pirates drew their weapons. The guards, now flanking the sorceress, did the same. Azami made a furious gesture. "You! Interlopers! You will pay dearly! And as for you, my slaves, you will suffer for thinking you could dare escape me!" So saying, Azami rapped the end of her staff sharply on the ground. A shimmering globe of light grew up and radiated around her.

The pirates' hearts sank. "Malchance!" Scarlet muttered. "Zis is bad luck. How many of our enemies have one of zees things?"

The alchemists had automatically cowered away upon Azami coming on the scene, but now one, the woman who had not long ago unsuccessfully begged the sorceress for freedom, stood up. "No!" she cried defiantly, then addressed her pirate rescuers. "Her staff is the source of her power! Break the ball in her staff and you break her power!"

With a snarl, Azami hurled a firey green ball in their general direction. Fortunately, it was aimed poorly, although several of the alchemists yelped in pain as the edges of the ball caught them as they ducked for cover. She hurled another one at Anne, who was closest, but Anne lithely dodged it, and came within striking range.

"'Little One', you called me," Anne breezily began, her eyes alight with battle as she ducked a blow with the staff, and had a strike of her own parried. "Always low and little," she joked, quoting. "But bees are little and they have a sting!" So saying, she finished her feint and with the edge of her saber struck the ball of the staff with all her might.

Alas for Anne's dramatic moment! The sword blade simply bounced off.

[OOC: but at least one person here commonly uses a weapon that will destroy the staff globe, hint, hint.]

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
The two samoorai flanking Azami were at first confused by the situation. While they had been decently trained, it had been a long time since anyone had challenged them, and their skills were decidedly rusty. Before they could recover, however, the alchemists joined the pirates in fighting -- in their own way. Pebbles, sticks, clots of mud flew at Azami and her guards. These simply bounced off Azami's spirit shield, but the guards were not so lucky. Even so, these irritations were not enough to deter them, and they raised their swords against the pirates --

But the alchemists were there first. They flung themselves on their guards with frantic energy, toppling the samoorai in a disorganized mass. Even the old fellow with the cane was belaboring his jailors, limping about as he struck enthusiastically with his cane.

This all did not go unnoticed. Shouts of alarm came from the ramparts, joined by other guards within. But only for a moment, as all sound suddenly became lost in an almighty --

BOOM!!

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Nov 7, 2013 wrote:
Evading the watchers on the walls, the pirates and the scraggly line of escaping alchemists carefully threaded their way towards the main gate. In front of the gate were two guards, half-dozing on this peaceful evening. Well, they wouldn't be dozing for long, Emma thought to herself with satisfaction. Just another minute or two to the expected explosion.

The guards suddenly snapped to attention. Warned by this action, the pirates, instinctively sought to hide deeper in the shadows, but almost immediately realized that with the freed prisoners with them, hiding was impossible. With a distinctive snap and swirl of silk, the sorceress Azami stormed into view.

The pirates drew their weapons. The guards, now flanking the sorceress, did the same. Azami made a furious gesture. "You! Interlopers! You will pay dearly! And as for you, my slaves, you will suffer for thinking you could dare escape me!" So saying, Azami rapped the end of her staff sharply on the ground. A shimmering globe of light grew up and radiated around her.

The pirates' hearts sank. "Malchance!" Scarlet muttered. "Zis is bad luck. How many of our enemies have one of zees things?"

The alchemists had automatically cowered away upon Azami coming on the scene, but now one, the woman who had not long ago unsuccessfully begged the sorceress for freedom, stood up. "No!" she cried defiantly, then addressed her pirate rescuers. "Her staff is the source of her power! Break the ball in her staff and you break her power!"

With a snarl, Azami hurled a firey green ball in their general direction. Fortunately, it was aimed poorly, although several of the alchemists yelped in pain as the edges of the ball caught them as they ducked for cover. She hurled another one at Anne, who was closest, but Anne lithely dodged it, and came within striking range.

"'Little One', you called me," Anne breezily began, her eyes alight with battle as she ducked a blow with the staff, and had a strike of her own parried. "Always low and little," she joked, quoting. "But bees are little and they have a sting!" So saying, she finished her feint and with the edge of her saber struck the ball of the staff with all her might.

Alas for Anne's dramatic moment! The sword blade simply bounced off.

[OOC: but at least one person here commonly uses a weapon that will destroy the staff globe, hint, hint.]
As Anne's blade briefly connected with the shimmering ball in the sorceress' staff, the light within briefly pulsed with an angry purple light and Anne found herself flying through the air to land heavily on the ground, ground that an instant later quivered with the power of the explosion going off. The night became briefly bright as day and the shock wave from the blast made the combatants all rock on their feet to try to keep their balance.

Immediately following was one moment of stunned shock from Azami and her hired men. In that moment Anne tried to clear her head from the shock of her fall and took in the scene around her:

-- Scarlet, blades ready, but hesitating, not wanting to imitate Anne's mistake and swiftly calculating her next move...

-- Elizabeth, plainly torn between helping the unarmed - but feisty- alchemists and tackling Azami herself...

-- Emma, who had slung her heavy gun off her back and...

That was it! Energy against energy!

"Emma - shoot the ball in the staff!" Anne yelled.

Then the brilliant light of the explosion faded to the glow of a huge, blazing fire some distance away and the shouts of even more people added to the chaos. And in the edge of the shadows that surrounded the light appeared the sly expression of a white fox. It was gone in an instant, but some strange blurs of red fur and white seemed to follow.

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Nov 25, 2013 wrote:
As Anne's blade briefly connected with the shimmering ball in the sorceress' staff, the light within briefly pulsed with an angry purple light and Anne found herself flying through the air to land heavily on the ground, ground that an instant later quivered with the power of the explosion going off. The night became briefly bright as day and the shock wave from the blast made the combatants all rock on their feet to try to keep their balance.

Immediately following was one moment of stunned shock from Azami and her hired men. In that moment Anne tried to clear her head from the shock of her fall and took in the scene around her:

-- Scarlet, blades ready, but hesitating, not wanting to imitate Anne's mistake and swiftly calculating her next move...

-- Elizabeth, plainly torn between helping the unarmed - but feisty- alchemists and tackling Azami herself...

-- Emma, who had slung her heavy gun off her back and...

That was it! Energy against energy!

"Emma - shoot the ball in the staff!" Anne yelled.

Then the brilliant light of the explosion faded to the glow of a huge, blazing fire some distance away and the shouts of even more people added to the chaos. And in the edge of the shadows that surrounded the light appeared the sly expression of a white fox. It was gone in an instant, but some strange blurs of red fur and white seemed to follow.
Emma blocked the light (or tried to) with her arms crossed in front of her face. She turned away, and once it faded she scoured the area for the others. She had managed to shoot the sphere in Azami's staff, and she had succeeded.... Hadn't she? The blonde looked around. The extremely bright light of the earlier explosion had seemingly dissipated, but still....

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Highlander Fox of ... on Nov 28, 2013 wrote:
Emma blocked the light (or tried to) with her arms crossed in front of her face. She turned away, and once it faded she scoured the area for the others. She had managed to shoot the sphere in Azami's staff, and she had succeeded.... Hadn't she? The blonde looked around. The extremely bright light of the earlier explosion had seemingly dissipated, but still....
Emma had not mistaken it - her shot had hit the ball in the staff fair and true. The ball absorbed the energy, the blue lightning of her shot being absorbed into an increasingly deep purple swirl of light, but much more than that had happened. All over the smooth surface of the ball, tiny cracks appeared, each less than the width of a hair.

Azami had not noticed. "What have you done!" she shrieked with incandescent rage. "You have destroyed my work! None of you shall escape alive!" So saying, she filled herself with all the magic her fury could bring her, and focused it through her staff, swinging it in a deep arc at her adversaries.

The ball of the staff gleamed brightly with a wicked light, increasing in greater intensity as the sorceress shouted the ending of her incantation. The ball pulsed brighter than ever --

and shattered!

Everyone save Azami - both friend and foe- instinctively dove for cover, but whatever the ball had been made of became almost entirely consumed in its explosion, leaving only a scattering of miniscule bright shards that stung nastily on contact but had no power to do any real harm. Everyone was momentarily blinded by the light of this much closer explosion, and as vision came back they saw that things had changed.

Azami was no longer the beautiful, young blonde woman of a few moments earlier. Though not ancient, her youth had slipped away, leaving her faded, her hair dull and streaked with white, and her face and form plain and unremarkable.

Azami saw a strand of her hair and took it in her hands, hands that no longer looked so smooth and lovely. "No... no!" she whispered in horror, distracted so greatly that she no longer noticed anything else. The broken staff fell unheeded to the ground. With a despairing, wild cry she fled, her movements no longer graceful and sinuous, but awkward and ungainly.

Azami's guards were momentarily immobile with shock as they witnessed this. Then one of the samoorai laid his sword on the ground.

"We will not hinder you any longer. Leave us be, and you are free to go," he offered in a cool, stern voice. The pirates looked at the other guards. They had not given up their weapons, but the guards, whether samoorai or ninja pig, nodded in assent as the pirates' gaze caught their own.

"You did it, Emma! Well done!" Anne murmured to her friend as she picked herself off the ground. "I say we take what we are offered, don't you all think?" And to the samoorai who had addressed them, she returned his words with cool, polite ones of her own. "Open the gates for us, please."