Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Swashbuckler and Buccaneer debate

AuthorMessage
Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
First off I hear lots of swashbucklers saying buccaneers shouldn't get anything new that they have like relentless. They say buccaneers are meant to be tanks not damage dealers, I hear you guys saying you guys want heavy armor and buff. Let me say swashbucklers are meant to be damage dealers not tanks. You guys say we shouldn't get anything new. I see posts saying you guys should get new stuff but your already better than us so why should you? Another thing buccaneers have the least amount of natural companions or companions you don't have to pay for. That means we don't get allot of good options. You however do. And most of are companions are low health. We get allot of swashbuckler companions but they are terrible, you get allot of buccaneer companions and they are good. Not fair at all... Not at all. You guys really don't need allot of new stuff but we do. Nothing is really unique to us. It can all be farmed. Buccaneers deserve something cool and unique for once, something that will help in pvp and battles. Nothing you can get. If you have any thing to add post below

Jack nightgale lvl 61 Buccaneer

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2012
My main pirate is a swashbuckler and I agree with you. I've been playing just fine AND I've soloed most of the game by far. I have no complaints when it comes to buffs and heavy armor. I mean it would be cool, but we don't need them. I'm doing just fine without them. Audrey Carter-55

Now buccaneers... My buccaneer is still a low level so I don't really have much experience with her to actually say what a buccaneer would and would not need. Payton Carter-8

Petty Officer
Sep 24, 2013
I don't get why everyone keeps saying Buccaneers are suppose to be "tanks". If that were true, KI would have given Buccaneers 100 resistance to combat magical attacks along with their armor. Also, I love not having so many companions because I didn't have to farm gold forever to max them as I did with my Swashbuckler. Now, I don't know what to say about your last comment other than it's completely wrong. Buccaneers get great No Auction (i.e. unique) gear for all levels throughout the game. You should totally check some of the No Auction guides on Pirate101 Central.

After playing this game for 4 months and maxing 4 different pirates, I personally think each class is fine the way it is. KI does a great job with each class by not favoring one over another. If you can't beat a certain class, you might want to rethink your strategy going in or try farming for better gear.

Ensign
Nov 04, 2012
Buccaneers should have a way to double their hitpoints, or they should get a class buff doubling hitpoints straight from kingsisle.

Lieutenant
Dec 15, 2012
I have to admit, you bucks don't get a lot of companions, but not all the companions we get are very good. Think about the monkey guard. He. Stinks. His damage is really bad. And what about Nurse Quinn? She dies all the time and hardly hits. In Mooshu, we maybe have one companion that we get that you guys don't. Musketeers get most of the companions in Mooshu. Plus, more companions means more keeping up with them, and let me tell you, you better get a lot of gold to be a swashbuckler. So, bucks get less options, but virtually more powerful companions, and we have more options, but sacrifice resources.

And I'm not arguing, I am giving examples to make it even, since all classes are even, but have different strengths.

Ensign
Jan 23, 2011
How about this, swashbucklers get relentless and buccaneers get second chance, fair enough?

Ensign
Dec 22, 2012
Wicked Victor Arms... on Jan 27, 2014 wrote:
I don't get why everyone keeps saying Buccaneers are suppose to be "tanks". If that were true, KI would have given Buccaneers 100 resistance to combat magical attacks along with their armor. Also, I love not having so many companions because I didn't have to farm gold forever to max them as I did with my Swashbuckler. Now, I don't know what to say about your last comment other than it's completely wrong. Buccaneers get great No Auction (i.e. unique) gear for all levels throughout the game. You should totally check some of the No Auction guides on Pirate101 Central.

After playing this game for 4 months and maxing 4 different pirates, I personally think each class is fine the way it is. KI does a great job with each class by not favoring one over another. If you can't beat a certain class, you might want to rethink your strategy going in or try farming for better gear.
Then what is the point saying buccaneers are tanks? They are armor people clearly, not interested in mojo stuff so they don't have resistance. It would be an unfair advantage anyway if they had a hun dread resistance.

Captain
Oct 26, 2012
TheDragonspyrePira... on Jan 26, 2014 wrote:
First off I hear lots of swashbucklers saying buccaneers shouldn't get anything new that they have like relentless. They say buccaneers are meant to be tanks not damage dealers, I hear you guys saying you guys want heavy armor and buff. Let me say swashbucklers are meant to be damage dealers not tanks. You guys say we shouldn't get anything new. I see posts saying you guys should get new stuff but your already better than us so why should you? Another thing buccaneers have the least amount of natural companions or companions you don't have to pay for. That means we don't get allot of good options. You however do. And most of are companions are low health. We get allot of swashbuckler companions but they are terrible, you get allot of buccaneer companions and they are good. Not fair at all... Not at all. You guys really don't need allot of new stuff but we do. Nothing is really unique to us. It can all be farmed. Buccaneers deserve something cool and unique for once, something that will help in pvp and battles. Nothing you can get. If you have any thing to add post below

Friend, I think we have some differences and similarities, but I think you got some stuff wrong here. As far as I can remember we only have 3 good buccaneer companions (Good ol Subodai, Ratbeard, and a monkey). We also get a lot of swashbuckler companions (Sarah, Milo, Toro, Cat ninja, Samocles, Froggo Villa, mustang Sally).

Here is a cool tip for you in PvP. I saw a buccaneer named Jean Walker do this (he is fully pro). Valkoor also shared this in his PHP thread. Put as much defensive buffs ( eg Levi), and reckless frenzy ONLY musks or witches on the opposing side. You can kill 3-4 low dodge enemies whilst losing only 750 health. Of course this move will be pointless against the privateer who stacks all his acc and dodge buff.

Now for some similarities... I think all our classes have spells so easily farmed for. I mean privateers have 5 assassin strikes, FIVE of them! I think that they only deserve 2 to be honest. You must feel horrible that a great move like vicious can be obtained by everyone, I share ya pain. Then again I suppose we can't complain too much... Privateers must be irratated at musks and witches for having 3 spirit shield available to them. Seriously I hope in the future classes will have more unique spells, cause in my mind it is getting out of hand.

Now the final part, the relentless debate. First of, musks, witches and privy will never get this talent. The battle is between bucks and swashes.

Why should Swashes get relentless and not bucks?
-Swashes have lower talents (like riposte and first strike), whilst Bucc's get a lot (vengeance, turn the tide, hold the line, and I suppose reckless could sort of count)
-Swashes are the damage class, and relentless is a damage spell.
-Bucc's also have glancing blow

Why should bucks get it?
-Since they arguably weaker than most other classes, this will give them an oomph.
- I personally think you should get all of rookes talent in a spell that lasts for 4 turns instead.

Then again, who says that relentless will even be given to any class?

Petty Officer
Mar 15, 2013
Privateers will most likely get second chance if they get a new epic. Golden guardian also couldn't have said that any better, and I doubt anyone will get relentless. Buccaneers most likely wont same with swashbucklers. They both already have tons of epics vengeance strike, first strike, riposte, and blade storm... many more than that but that's basically it. I don't think any class will get relentless cause there isn't a good class to give it to that doesn't already have tons of epics. Other than privateer (doubt we will get it either) Besides witchdoctors have mojo echo which is just another form of relentless and no class gets the same epic so... 70% chance no one is getting it. This is kinda a pointless argument and It wouldn't matter by now I mean ki has chosen the class in the next coming update. If any class were to get relentless its been picked and no changing it! Maybe you might change their mind just maybe...

Captain
May 13, 2011
Justin Chamberlain on Jan 27, 2014 wrote:
Then what is the point saying buccaneers are tanks? They are armor people clearly, not interested in mojo stuff so they don't have resistance. It would be an unfair advantage anyway if they had a hun dread resistance.
buccaneers are mostly made to resist incoming attacks. if they are weak against magic it would partially ruin their purpose

Ensign
Feb 08, 2014
Sneaky George Quar... on Jan 29, 2014 wrote:
buccaneers are mostly made to resist incoming attacks. if they are weak against magic it would partially ruin their purpose
Buccaneers are mostly made to resist incoming physical attacks. not magical.

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012

"choices"......that has alot of positive connotation there. for what it is worth, the classes all get essentially (or so close it doesnt change anything) the same number of companions. the class that does get more is actually privateer. anyway, we each have our own benefits. swashes have high dodge and attack, but little life. bucks have lower stats, but far superior health and armor, not to mention some buffs. typically however, i cannot deny that swashes are stronger.

Developer
stormninja542 on Jan 27, 2014 wrote:
How about this, swashbucklers get relentless and buccaneers get second chance, fair enough?
That's not gonna happen.

Ensign
Feb 13, 2011
There is a bit of a problem with Swashbucklers. Swashbucklers can get multiple Leviathan's Call, which is what makes(mostly anyway) Buccaneers rather tough, and despite having somewhat less health, they still have mighty Swashbuckler-level damage, and pretty much become super-brutes(Tough, Powerful, and Fast). Buccaneers, while they can get multiple Assassin Strikes, they lack enough raw damage for them to equal the odds against Swashbucklers with Leviathan's call, and don't have as much speed.
It's kind of why my new main character is a Swashbuckler(even though he is still leveling up). It's also why my Buccaneer has skills normally for the Swashbuckler class(To make him fast(Can easily cross most boards with Vicious Charge)...

Lieutenant
Dec 15, 2012
stormninja542 on Jan 27, 2014 wrote:
If you guys want to "even it out", Second Chance seem more of a Privateer power, and Buccaneers should get Relentless. If Swashies had Relentless 1 we would be WAY OP. When you think about it, Buccaneers do get the best weapons and gear in AQ without even farming. We get our last weapon at like after the Troy Dungeon. When you max, EVERYTHING evens out between classes like it should be, each class having different advantages to help each other. If you need better gear or your companions are weak, farm. Try bosses you have done before.
Here's a link to different weapon on P101 Central:
http://www.pirate101central.com/wiki/Category:Weapons

Hope this helps. I really don't like people fighting about different classes on a computer screen. Be happy in the class you chose or just make a new character. We don't need a debate on why different classes are worse or better. They are all the same in value.

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
Witty Gavin on Mar 12, 2014 wrote:
If you guys want to "even it out", Second Chance seem more of a Privateer power, and Buccaneers should get Relentless. If Swashies had Relentless 1 we would be WAY OP. When you think about it, Buccaneers do get the best weapons and gear in AQ without even farming. We get our last weapon at like after the Troy Dungeon. When you max, EVERYTHING evens out between classes like it should be, each class having different advantages to help each other. If you need better gear or your companions are weak, farm. Try bosses you have done before.

Hope this helps. I really don't like people fighting about different classes on a computer screen. Be happy in the class you chose or just make a new character. We don't need a debate on why different classes are worse or better. They are all the same in value.
Privateers will rarely use natural attacks and they commonly use Assassin's Strike, which can never miss mind you, as an endgame power. Second Chance is pointless on them.

Neither Swashbucklers, nor Buccaneers should have Relentless. Reckless Frenzy is powerful already, and there are alternative ways for Buccaneers to dish-out more damage per round. Relentless on either of those classes overpowering and overwhelming, so I'd hate to see it on either class.

At max level, there still is class imbalance. Just because it's not a major gap, doesn't mean it's not there. Look at what classes dominate the PvP arena, look at what classes can be taken out easily with commonly used strategies or companions. There is some imbalance.

Ensign
Dec 31, 2012
Witty Gavin on Mar 12, 2014 wrote:

Very well said Witty Gavin, people need to stop complaining about the classes it's annoying, and just like you said " be happy with the class you chose " people need to do that, just no one does anymore It's like it's actually kinda you're fault you're the one who picked you're class, I mean really if you want to complain about something you did, fine with me, just do it to yourself.

P.S thx for the weapon guide

Gunner's Mate
Jun 27, 2013
Witchdoctors get relentless Golden Guardian.

Bosun
Oct 15, 2010
Ratbeard on Mar 5, 2014 wrote:
That's not gonna happen.
Which one won't happen? Second Chance/Bucks or Relentless/Swashes? Or both?

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009

my swashbuckler is a much better tank than my buccaneer... at around 180 dodge not much can touch my swashbuckler that isn't an attack card... in terms of PvP, there aren't that many characters who use or rely upon melee attacks (most are ranged/magical)

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
Synakul on Jan 27, 2014 wrote:
Buccaneers should have a way to double their hitpoints, or they should get a class buff doubling hitpoints straight from kingsisle.
this would help