Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Speculations on the Armada

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Sep 14, 2015
anecorbie on Apr 16, 2016 wrote:
This solution seems very unsatisfying & anti-climatic; we must have a resolution to this conflict. I remember reading a suggestion from a poster that we should enter a dungeon, try to fight Kane and get our tushies handed to us on a platter - Kane then has us captured, then we must fight our way out of prison ( this is a awesome idea & 'escape from prison' would work well in the pirates story frame. )
But if they wanted to make another update after this one, they'd leave the conflict unsettled. It's called SPECULATIONS on the armada for a reason: these are abstract theories of the nature of the armada. The Pirate101 storyline has been known to be unpredictable for quite some time now. Even so, I have to agree with you on this one, anecorbie.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
anecorbie on Apr 14, 2016 wrote:
Just because he's wearing a plague mask, doesn't mean he should have a plague attack. Let's just wait and see what KI has done.
Just to add a bit to what Esperanza has said about Bishop and his mask:

The strange bird-like mask doctors often wore in Renaissance and early Modern times was intended to protect the doctor from contracting diseases from his patients. Fragrant herbs would be stuffed into the beak area with the idea that this would counteract any 'evil miasmas' that might float up from the sick person.

For many centuries in Western Europe, the prevailing idea of disease was the notion of 'Imbalance of the Humors', an idea established in classical Greek times. In other words, illness came from within, because the balance in your body was off. In the Renaissance, the idea began to take hold that diseases arose from 'bad air' (from which we get our word, malaria, a disease which was observed to afflict people who had gone into noxious-smelling swamps). So having a sweet-scented pomander ball attached to your belt, or even a fragrant posy, to put to your nose when you smelled something nasty was believed to be preventive medicine. For doctors, who were especially at risk, keeping a sweet smelling mixture always to your nose was considered a very good idea.

So, the mask is there to protect from disease - not cause it. But it is a scary-looking mask... and I am sure that is a good part of the reason why it was chosen for the character of Bishop!

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2015
Anne Radcliffe on Apr 18, 2016 wrote:
Just to add a bit to what Esperanza has said about Bishop and his mask:

The strange bird-like mask doctors often wore in Renaissance and early Modern times was intended to protect the doctor from contracting diseases from his patients. Fragrant herbs would be stuffed into the beak area with the idea that this would counteract any 'evil miasmas' that might float up from the sick person.

For many centuries in Western Europe, the prevailing idea of disease was the notion of 'Imbalance of the Humors', an idea established in classical Greek times. In other words, illness came from within, because the balance in your body was off. In the Renaissance, the idea began to take hold that diseases arose from 'bad air' (from which we get our word, malaria, a disease which was observed to afflict people who had gone into noxious-smelling swamps). So having a sweet-scented pomander ball attached to your belt, or even a fragrant posy, to put to your nose when you smelled something nasty was believed to be preventive medicine. For doctors, who were especially at risk, keeping a sweet smelling mixture always to your nose was considered a very good idea.

So, the mask is there to protect from disease - not cause it. But it is a scary-looking mask... and I am sure that is a good part of the reason why it was chosen for the character of Bishop!
Maybe it's protecting him from computer viruses . Anyway I actually like that idea better than the other idea where he is causing the disease. But what would he need that for? He's not a living being he's a robot and you can't get sick unless he has a computer virus and a mask with plants in it isn't going to help that. But I do think it would be cool to see him attempt biological warfare on us.

Ensign
Jun 01, 2010
While we all believe Kane is evil, has the reason for his goal been told? While it seems to be a lust for power, have we had any chats with him where we analyze his psyche? He could have a good cause, just took the wrong path (evil actions, good person kind of thing. should still be stopped)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
SpiralConquerer on May 3, 2016 wrote:
While we all believe Kane is evil, has the reason for his goal been told? While it seems to be a lust for power, have we had any chats with him where we analyze his psyche? He could have a good cause, just took the wrong path (evil actions, good person kind of thing. should still be stopped)
Welcome to the message boards, SpiralConquerer, and thank you for posting here!
As to Kane's motive, we haven't seen or heard of him yet, except from Captain Avery ( a prejudiced source ). In the update that's coming this summer, we may be getting more information on this subject. Although I have speculated that Kane either - 1. feels contempt for the "weak" living being who created him, or 2. a frustrated desire to become fully human.
I'm looking forward to finding out the true motive behind Kane's shift from hero to villain and what is the Grand Design?

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
I don't see Kane as evil. It's a story-line that's been used in dozens of books and films. The construct, Kane... originally created to rid the creator of the things he deems detrimental or imperfect... begins to view the creator as one of those imperfections. So in order to carry out its orders it must destroy those that gave the orders in the first place. Its actions aren't necessarily evil because it doesn't have to adhere to the moral standards laid out by its creator. Its sole purpose is to carry out it's orders. So what it boils down to is... it's a Pirate101 version of the Terminator. A single-minded and relentless machine in pursuit of the completion of its duty.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Well, we have a date for our parent's marriage now! From Lucky Jack's Rogues Gallery - near the end of the Polarian War Jack is captured and meets our father in prison. A jail break is planned by his intended wife and Jack joins the crew and celebrates the marriage!

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015
anecorbie on May 3, 2016 wrote:
Well, we have a date for our parent's marriage now! From Lucky Jack's Rogues Gallery - near the end of the Polarian War Jack is captured and meets our father in prison. A jail break is planned by his intended wife and Jack joins the crew and celebrates the marriage!
Hmmm, interesting
Is there an age for our pirates?
With this information I can pinpoint when we were born!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
SpellBinder Darius on May 5, 2016 wrote:
Hmmm, interesting
Is there an age for our pirates?
With this information I can pinpoint when we were born!
I believe Blind Mew had mentioned that our pirates were in our early teens - ages have been suggested between 12 - 16 years old.

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015
anecorbie on May 5, 2016 wrote:
I believe Blind Mew had mentioned that our pirates were in our early teens - ages have been suggested between 12 - 16 years old.
Ok so ill just use 14 as the age because its in between
Thinking...
Ah, so we were born a year after the Polarian War, certainly a time of hardship leading to our parents death and being captured by the Armada, the end of the war was the armadas rise.