Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Staffy weapons not good enough

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Jun 13, 2013
When I go to the bazaar after leveling up, I look for the weapon with the most damage, and staffy weapons have 5-20% less damage than other weapons. I know witchdoctors use spells more than weapons but when I end up with low level buffs then I have to use a weapon. It would be nice if they did slightly more damage.

Petty Officer
Sep 19, 2013
The only stat a witchdoctor needs to look at on his weapon is range. Unlike other classes, witchdoctors do not use weapon attacks as any sort of main weapon, so they are free to ignore Accuracy and Weapon Power. Be sure to move your most frequently used powers to the slots with the lowest numbers and if all else fails, look up some (probably No Auction) gear that gives powers and use that instead.

Developer
The trade-off on most staffs is that they affect more than one square.

Put at least two targets under your attack and-- BOOM! You just doubled your damage output.

Petty Officer
Sep 19, 2013
Ratbeard on Jan 14, 2015 wrote:
The trade-off on most staffs is that they affect more than one square.

Put at least two targets under your attack and-- BOOM! You just doubled your damage output.
About that... no higher-level witchdoctor would be caught undead using those staffs. They have 3 range as opposed to single-target staffs with 5, so there's not much use to them as most witchdoctor use lots of powers. They give 2 things a witchdoctor doesn't need (weapon damage and an improved weapon attack) and take away a witchdoctor's main weapon stat, which is range. I want to see staffy weapons that grant bonus spell power, with current staffs there's no reason to upgrade save farming Phule for his 6 range wand.

Ensign
Feb 17, 2013
Robobot1747 on Jan 14, 2015 wrote:
About that... no higher-level witchdoctor would be caught undead using those staffs. They have 3 range as opposed to single-target staffs with 5, so there's not much use to them as most witchdoctor use lots of powers. They give 2 things a witchdoctor doesn't need (weapon damage and an improved weapon attack) and take away a witchdoctor's main weapon stat, which is range. I want to see staffy weapons that grant bonus spell power, with current staffs there's no reason to upgrade save farming Phule for his 6 range wand.
Phule's wand is a great asset to any witchdoctor. Phule's wand even adds the ability of "witch hunter", but the lack of power shows when the special talents, like readied spell and witch hunter, are used. The best wand to have, if you're looking for range, is Moo Manchu's wand (from the first time you encounter him). That wand also gives a range of 6, and gives the ability of "coward's bane" plus it has more power than phule's wand which comes in handy when using those special abilities.

I am definitely looking forward to some more range 6 wands which grant talents when the new chapters are added. *Hint*Hint