Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Power Rejection?

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
So, as we almost all surely know, There are many fine quality pieces of gear scattered throughout the spiral. Many of these Grant a player a certain power. The example i'm using here are the nefarious knives, which can be obtained as a rare drop from the Tower.

These Knives provide players with a power called 'flanking'. Flanking is an involuntary reaction talent that causes the player with said talent to attack any enemy that goes into certain blocks that are adjacent to the player. However, while that is typically a good thing, it has a drawback: if a player in hide were to use flanking, the attack would rid the player of the hide.

Now, since the vast majority of players who use the Nefarious Knives are swashbucklers, and hide is kind of a big deal for swashbucklers, this isnt a good thing.

that said, I'm not asking for the knives to be changed: in fact, i'm actually asking for something else entirely. (just using the knives as a primary example).

Basically, what I am asking is for players to be able to remove any power, talent, or ability from their lineup. for instance, a player with flanking could deactivate flanking, or if you learned a heal from the commodore but you are past a level where that heal is useful, you could, instead of moving it to the back or the roster, deactivate it.

So, what do you think, my fellow marauders? would you support it? reject it? change it? let me know!

Lieutenant
Nov 01, 2012
If you don't want the ability an item gives, don't use it. That’s just how I feel about this, since I'm always seeing people complain about the knives.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Blixet on May 19, 2015 wrote:
So, as we almost all surely know, There are many fine quality pieces of gear scattered throughout the spiral. Many of these Grant a player a certain power. The example i'm using here are the nefarious knives, which can be obtained as a rare drop from the Tower.

These Knives provide players with a power called 'flanking'. Flanking is an involuntary reaction talent that causes the player with said talent to attack any enemy that goes into certain blocks that are adjacent to the player. However, while that is typically a good thing, it has a drawback: if a player in hide were to use flanking, the attack would rid the player of the hide.

Now, since the vast majority of players who use the Nefarious Knives are swashbucklers, and hide is kind of a big deal for swashbucklers, this isnt a good thing.

that said, I'm not asking for the knives to be changed: in fact, i'm actually asking for something else entirely. (just using the knives as a primary example).

Basically, what I am asking is for players to be able to remove any power, talent, or ability from their lineup. for instance, a player with flanking could deactivate flanking, or if you learned a heal from the commodore but you are past a level where that heal is useful, you could, instead of moving it to the back or the roster, deactivate it.

So, what do you think, my fellow marauders? would you support it? reject it? change it? let me know!
It's an interesting idea, I'm not sure how it could be implemented ( coding, etc. ) I believe Ratbeard included the flanking talent on the knives so there would be a 'fail-safe' for those complaining about hide being OP.
When crafting comes, I hope we'll be able to craft the perfect gear with the talents we want, and maybe a power card too.

Developer
Flanking is easy enough to work with-- just keep your hidden unit away from allies.

I'm more concerned about Repel Boarders spoiling Hide-- that's much more out of your control.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Ratbeard on May 19, 2015 wrote:
Flanking is easy enough to work with-- just keep your hidden unit away from allies.

I'm more concerned about Repel Boarders spoiling Hide-- that's much more out of your control.
This is not as easy as it sounds; Summoned minions and pets go where they will.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013

its killing privateers, please save us ratbeard give privateers overprotection instead

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013

I can definitely understand where you are coming from because I am a Level 65 Privateer, so I have Repel Boarders, and while it is an okay power (not to mention the ONLY Privateer power), Walk in Shadows and Walk in Darkness are both huge parts of my strategy. I spent a practice point very early on for Walk in Shadows, and when I only just recently managed to complete the Tower, I got some pretty sweet loot, including Walk in Darkness and a Super Strike. I've dealt with that kinda stuff before and while it is annoying, the best way to get around it is to position your companions around you so that enemies can not move into adjacent squares around you, until you are ready to go in for that high-damaged hit. However I think that the Privateer Heal example is a bit untrue since you can always use heals [unless you'd rather be one of those jerk Privateers that thinks they're a Bucc or Buckler and doesn't use any of their supporting powers AKA all of them] and the heals still retain usefulness, because like offensive powers the amount they heal increases with each level. I admit, Rouse is now at the bottom of my 30-something Power list, but that is because there are so many better ones like Discipline, Enduring Discipline, Battle Zeal, Call to Arms etc., not to mention better heals. This does not make it useless, but less useful. I would definitely like to be able to turn off Repel Boarders for a round, but I'm wondering if I would be able to reactivate it. I hope this post does not sound too aggressive because I very much agree with you. I'm slightly experienced with this game but by no means a pro and there's still a lot of strats I have yet to learn. This is a very interesting idea and I think it would definitely switch up gameplay a bit, but for now I would stick to surrounding yourself with your companions. Sorry pal

Cpt. Cruel Owen Quarrel, Level 65 Ithaca Procrastinator [I really am not looking forward to the Scylla Fight]

Ensign
Feb 17, 2013

Yes, i totally agree with Ratbeard. Hidden and repel boarders seem like an odd combo. A prime example would be Sarah Steele. You can try an strategically place her in the back where an enemy wont reach that turn or wait till the enemy is already surrounding her before casting hidden, but it truly is a nuisance to deal with. I sure do wish I could simply remove her repel boarders talent.

I do realize this post was targeted towards the main character only, but since the companions are being "Advanced" then why not fully make them advanced and allow us to customize them with gears and such.

So all in all I do agree with the OP. Although, I might be pushing it a bit far with the companions idea.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
zuto4011a on May 20, 2015 wrote:
its killing privateers, please save us ratbeard give privateers overprotection instead
Hide ignores over-protection.

Developer
anecorbie on May 19, 2015 wrote:
This is not as easy as it sounds; Summoned minions and pets go where they will.
You know, it's OK if some strategies aren't super easy-- especially maximizing the effectiveness of Hide.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
anecorbie on May 20, 2015 wrote:
its not just for hide but also for everything else like vengeance, first strike, and riposte

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
No, Please No. To Overpowered, And that is coming from someone who at the moment, only plays as Privateer, (Who would gain from this) and Witchdoctor (who that would not really effect to much because ranged attacks). Also that would remove the possibility of Privateers getting repel boarders 3, which I think is really nice.

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
anecorbie on May 20, 2015 wrote:
I think this point may have been that when you are in hide, you can get knocked out of it because of Repel Boarders (not sure).

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Voodoo Cornelius on May 23, 2015 wrote:
No, Please No. To Overpowered, And that is coming from someone who at the moment, only plays as Privateer, (Who would gain from this) and Witchdoctor (who that would not really effect to much because ranged attacks). Also that would remove the possibility of Privateers getting repel boarders 3, which I think is really nice.
Overprotection isn't over powered it can be easily countered by hide, but also ranged attacks ( of which as a witchdoctor you have plenty, my friend ).
What I don't understand is why Robert isn't asking for Rookeochet or that devastating response to WD attacks.

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
anecorbie on May 24, 2015 wrote:
Overprotection isn't over powered it can be easily countered by hide, but also ranged attacks ( of which as a witchdoctor you have plenty, my friend ).
What I don't understand is why Robert isn't asking for Rookeochet or that devastating response to WD attacks.
In pvp this would be very overpowered later in pvp matches once hides have been used for melee attackers. It would take really annoying strategies for any melee companion to attack said privateer, for instance you would need 2 companions to attack 1 privateer (1 to attack and 1 to stand 2 spaces away to prevent the overprotect from activating). When you consider that no more the 1 or 2 enemies have ever had hide, mixing this ability with loud 3 and this could be a very unbalancing in PvE as well. Think about what this ability does: If an enemy approaches you, they are pushed back 2 spaces. This basically means that any swashbuckler /buccaneer/ privateer in PvE will not have an effect on said privateer. Thats why I believe that is Overprotection would be Overpowered. Also what devastating response to WD attacks? Witchhunter? Thats basically just first strike for magic 95% of the time.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Make death work backwards.....

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Cruel Owen Quarrel on May 20, 2015 wrote:
I can definitely understand where you are coming from because I am a Level 65 Privateer, so I have Repel Boarders, and while it is an okay power (not to mention the ONLY Privateer power), Walk in Shadows and Walk in Darkness are both huge parts of my strategy. I spent a practice point very early on for Walk in Shadows, and when I only just recently managed to complete the Tower, I got some pretty sweet loot, including Walk in Darkness and a Super Strike. I've dealt with that kinda stuff before and while it is annoying, the best way to get around it is to position your companions around you so that enemies can not move into adjacent squares around you, until you are ready to go in for that high-damaged hit. However I think that the Privateer Heal example is a bit untrue since you can always use heals [unless you'd rather be one of those jerk Privateers that thinks they're a Bucc or Buckler and doesn't use any of their supporting powers AKA all of them] and the heals still retain usefulness, because like offensive powers the amount they heal increases with each level. I admit, Rouse is now at the bottom of my 30-something Power list, but that is because there are so many better ones like Discipline, Enduring Discipline, Battle Zeal, Call to Arms etc., not to mention better heals. This does not make it useless, but less useful. I would definitely like to be able to turn off Repel Boarders for a round, but I'm wondering if I would be able to reactivate it. I hope this post does not sound too aggressive because I very much agree with you. I'm slightly experienced with this game but by no means a pro and there's still a lot of strats I have yet to learn. This is a very interesting idea and I think it would definitely switch up gameplay a bit, but for now I would stick to surrounding yourself with your companions. Sorry pal

Cpt. Cruel Owen Quarrel, Level 65 Ithaca Procrastinator [I really am not looking forward to the Scylla Fight]
There is no food in Ithaca except a burning roast. Hmm?

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
anecorbie on May 24, 2015 wrote:
because witches are already easy enough although adding that to rookes shield would be pretty cool

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Voodoo Cornelius on May 24, 2015 wrote:
In pvp this would be very overpowered later in pvp matches once hides have been used for melee attackers. It would take really annoying strategies for any melee companion to attack said privateer, for instance you would need 2 companions to attack 1 privateer (1 to attack and 1 to stand 2 spaces away to prevent the overprotect from activating). When you consider that no more the 1 or 2 enemies have ever had hide, mixing this ability with loud 3 and this could be a very unbalancing in PvE as well. Think about what this ability does: If an enemy approaches you, they are pushed back 2 spaces. This basically means that any swashbuckler /buccaneer/ privateer in PvE will not have an effect on said privateer. Thats why I believe that is Overprotection would be Overpowered. Also what devastating response to WD attacks? Witchhunter? Thats basically just first strike for magic 95% of the time.
I NEVER said give privateers rookechet, PvE is already so easy, ask corbie, we blew through tower like it was nothing, and just make the privateer come to you, its the same thing as the hidden argument, there are counters just use them and adapt your strat instead of being the stubborn mule

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
Honestly since Privateers have the least amount of Epics and one of the worst ones in my opinion, I would really love relentless or something else. I know others think Repel Boarders is good but so far all it's done is mess up my stealth; I do admit it's a bit useful for Privateers since Privateers could sit in the back for an entire battle and let enemies come to them. Relentless 2 and 3 might be too overpowered. Heck, Relentless by itself may be too overpowered but honestly I'd be super happy to see some more Epics in the next update which I'm counting on coming up later this year. Or not. We don't know what KI has in mind or how long it will take. Maybe Valencia will be 4 books long like CR, and maybe they'll be adding another world with that! Or maybe something has come up. Yeah, I know, boohoo a Privateer is complaining about bad Epics when all I have to do is sit back and buff and heal and barrage etc.
I complain way too often.
Have a fantastic week!

Cpt. Cruel Owen Quarrel, Level 65 Keeper of the Crypt [just kidding]

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Voodoo Cornelius on May 24, 2015 wrote:
Eh, maybe I'm being selfish about other classes, even without hide working properly ( at that time ) I was still able to beat Rooke ( not easily as I was only lvl 59 at the time ) but still won. Mostly because I got a first strike on him before Overprotection and if he used Vengeance and missed then of course I hit with a riposte. This wore him down a bit before I could place Subodai and Ratbeard.
Rooke had a kind of 'pre-emptive strike' where a group of battle angels would fly over head and strafe the field. My WD quickly learned not to attack him with Voodoo, but instead support her team and summon undead.
Certainly musketeers would be in a good place to just shoot the privateer, no amount of overprotection would help then.
I believe that privateers actually need a new talent - one that gives them an extra attack.

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
zuto4011a on May 25, 2015 wrote:
I NEVER said give privateers rookechet, PvE is already so easy, ask corbie, we blew through tower like it was nothing, and just make the privateer come to you, its the same thing as the hidden argument, there are counters just use them and adapt your strat instead of being the stubborn mule
I was responding to Anecorbie, and I never said anything about rookechet. Also you say PvE is to easy, yet you want overprotective on your Privy?

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Voodoo Cornelius on May 26, 2015 wrote:
I was responding to Anecorbie, and I never said anything about rookechet. Also you say PvE is to easy, yet you want overprotective on your Privy?
you mentioned witch dr in your argument against it and i play pvp, i usually use a staff for pvp, its not for me, its for those less fortunate with gear that are forced to use a melee weapon

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
zuto4011a on May 26, 2015 wrote:
you mentioned witch dr in your argument against it and i play pvp, i usually use a staff for pvp, its not for me, its for those less fortunate with gear that are forced to use a melee weapon
What I actually said was that i think that it would be overpowered despite the fact that I really only play witchdoctor and privateer, meaning that the negative aspects of this would not really effect me. That is my response to the first part or your response. I honestly cannot make heads or tails of it beyond "you mentioned witch dr in your argument against it and i play pvp". I think you may be missing a word around "its not for me", but It may just be me being really tired at the moment.

Lieutenant
Feb 08, 2014

You can right click on your mouse to delete a power but deleting an epic talent?Thats just crossing the line...