Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What's Your Strategy?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Jun 20, 2013
I have another topic i want to discuss: Your strategies.

So, in the Comment section, answer what YOUR favorite Battle strategy is.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
pirate crusher on Oct 23, 2015 wrote:

Simply put, stayin' alive.
Ok, seriously? Black Fog ( if I believe it's necessary ) I usually use that first. Then El Toro and Fan buff.
Or I may just charge the enemy with an assassin's strike ( If they are very close ) I can hit with enough damage to most enemies without needing a boost, though boosts are always nice.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
pirate crusher on Oct 23, 2015 wrote:

Strategy: Battle ---> Win.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
since i shall be leaving i might as well leave a portion of my fortune here, i prefer a melee comp team with 1-2 chargers, when against melee such as bucks or swashies i corner with barricade and fill the 2 open spots with goro and egg with zang in the back incase one falls or of the enemy breaks a barricade to then fill that hole keeping me safe from all damage, with this i try to withstand the storm because i know if i can odds are i can win a pirate vs pirate with 5 forts and 2 assassins along with my other various attacks i have from my pet, i try to make it a pirate vs pirate when against melee, when against ranged i charge them almost immediately with a bit of softening up from bombs unless they have staff in which case i fort goro round 1 then use a critical buff or espirit when he charges and if he takes too much damage while my geese get over there i va him and buy time for my heavy hitters to get there, if im against a privateer i just wing it. My strategy summed up is a versatile strategy based on 1-3 predetermined rounds then reacting to my opponent and delivering the finishing blow with an assassin after my foe lowers their guard cause come on, what bucks and bucklers usually think a privateer can beat them in a pirate vs pirate?

Also some tips

Think of shields as additions of health and hiddens as hitting twice instead of one super hit, it greatly helps

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Are you talking about PvE or PvP? Strategy depends a LOT on which enemies you are facing -- you cannot use the same strategy against Satyrs as you do Harpies, for example.

My favorite strategy is to find a corner to protect my ranged attackers from melee attacks, but against some attackers, spreading out is a better way to go.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
Oh geez, it's diverse for all of my characters but let me name my two mains, Owen and Malcolm.

For Owen, my Privateer:
When they show up, both Disciplines are top priority. My team is as follows: Egg Shen, Keisuke Yagi, and Old Scratch. Egg Shen is my tanky-type companion who is also very capable of stringing together hits with BS2 and Relentless 2. Keisuke is immediately put into hide, and Scratch either immediately pops a 100% or a 50% Mojo upgrade, depending on whether Armor is up. If Old Scratch scores hits, great. If he doesn't, that's okay. He's there because I'm a Privateer and he's got a bajillion spell power upgrades.

For Malcolm, my Musketeer:
I usually use Firstmate, but right now I've set a team until I can level up the rest of my companions to 43 or 44. Chantal is my Firstmate, for obvious reasons. Next is El Toro, then Bonnie Anne. I pop my Agility Buffs right away, and make sure Chantal and El Toro pop their buffs as well. Chantal, Bonnie, and I all have Overwatch. Which means, if anyone tries to get anywhere near us, expect about a million hits, what with the extreme agility and the Overwatch-Burst Fire- Double Tap chains.

Very interesting topic!

Cpt. Cruel Owen Quarrel, Level 65 Commander

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Mine was specifically to support the rest of the field to empower others and to heal and help them win. I gained happiness and joy from this game in giving others a chance to win. Now that its gone from here I am feeling less inclined to log in.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Lieutenant
Jun 20, 2013
thank you guys all! and p.s, i mean PVP and PVE, you decide which one you want to cover.

Ensign
Apr 26, 2012
I usually have one tank on my team, and then the other 2 companions are swashbucklers. I would use my buffs, my pirate would go for the nearest enemy, my tank goes up front, and the swashbucklers sneak up from behind.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
For me, it very often depends on who shows up -- since I usually prefer the random selection of companions (or first mate + random), as well as 'who is my enemy?'. My first move, however, is generally to buff myself and companions -- no matter what class of pirate I am playing. I often start out with a 'juju' of some sort, ranking it higher than even the ever-useful black fog for swashbucklers. Whether or not I start out with a juju (since its duration may be short) depends on how swiftly I expect to engage the enemy.

Playing a musketeer or witchdoctor, I usually wait for the enemy to come to me. So my first moves are traps and bombs or long distance spells. This can also be true for my privateer captain, but she's got a lot of flexibility in choice, so it depends -- and it especially depends on the enemy.

Musketeer enemies? My swashbucklers and buccaneers quickly engage if possible, to avoid being decimated by traps. Shootouts with musketeers vs musketeers can be quite entertaining, though with some, er, consequences ("Okay, you two, stop trying to prove to each other who has the most true grit!" ). Against witchdoctors? Fan out, and try not to place your people where two or more can be caught by an area spell. Against a privateer enemy? Take out the privateer leader first! Fighting against buccaneers and swashbucklers? Fling yourself merrily into the melee with your swashbucklers and buccaneers (friends with flanking is very nice); protect your fragile musketeers and witchdoctors with companions that have Hold the Line (and build up that skill as much as possible). Or, if you are a swashbuckler captain, you can do it yourself, with Gallant Defense (hehe... I love that ability, and it's just so recklessly noble, a D'Artagnan thing to do!)

In The Tower of Winter's Fury, since often you can choose your companions on each floor, I mix them up to have a different crew for every fight. The companions that are not so strong get their chance on the lower floors.

Lieutenant
Aug 19, 2011
It depends on who shows up. My companions are usually set on First mate (who I think is the best of the bunch) + Random. I always buff up the team and spread everyone out (to prevent chains and areal spells from effecting one too many units as best as possible). Whichever opponent would be the most troublesome, of course, is shown no mercy.

When the battle starts and I see who I'm up against, I start to form a battle plan there and then, along with a few backup plans.

(But since I stink at PVP, I'll leave that alone. )

Ensign
Jul 07, 2013
I haven't really developed a really good strategy for someone who completed it on their main. I just kind of adapt to who my enemy is and work from that, like for satyrs I spread out and go on an attack frenzy, but for buffaloons I put my tanky companions around Bonnie Anne, who is in a corner. A lot of the time I'll have my melee opponents in attack with a melee/ranged boss, while Bonnie and I (musketeer) take down minions.

If I'm with other players, I usually focus on buffing and defending the other player or players while also attacking. If it's a regular fight (just melee) I will have each companion to fend for themself, unless the enemy is particularly hard, such as a Shade. I almost always go into a battle with El Toro, Hawkules, and, of course, good old Bonnie.

I ask: How should I arrange (like a square, spread out, or just go straight onto attacking), what should I do first (buff, attack, move/arrange), who is my enemy, what is their weakness (no range, low max health, low damage). Depending on what I choose for each, sometimes I will end up cornered but winning, spread out, almost dead, or winning by a landslide.

Perilous Zoe Nightingale, level 65

Lieutenant
Feb 08, 2014